Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• The thing to remember when remembering some of our former flops, is that they were playing in a higher division, and were being directly compared to the PL players we had under Curbs, which was always going to be tough.
    For example, in retrospect one of Pardew's better signings was Iwelemu on a free, a solid Championship target man, who's done the business for several clubs in that division, but at the time we were expecting better. Halford has been a regular Ch and PL player, attracting 7 figure fees, whereas our current excellent defence has done the business in the 3rd division, and is unproven at a higher level yet. I expect Solly to step up successfully, but it doesn't always happen like that.
    Iwelemu was a good signing, I wasn't expecting better although I expected better of the manager. 1st few months Iwelemu was doing well scoring goals & leading the line, then we stopped providing him with the service & at times he was playing as a lone striker, that's why the goals dried up & he looked a like a fish out of water. Provide crosses into the box & he'll score goals, thats his game !
  • i am comparing Halford to his ability in the championship, which is the league we are now in, and nothing else.
  • From a very good source; It's nothing controversial so no harm in putting it out there. Sorry if not juicy enough for all

We've been in talks with a number of players for 4 weeks
    5 players are sought - a GK, 2 midfielders and 2 strikers
    Plan is to consolidate this year then push on BUT if it's going well we are ready to invest. Similarly we will have funds to invest if we get to the prem. There are levels in place depending on the level we are playing at.
    Some investors wish to remain absolutely anonymous. Anyone at the club discussing names of certain people will be sacked - this comes from someone fairly senior at the club.

I probed about the sponsor and was told I have to wait and see - my man knows but couldn't say.

As far as investment is concerned - it seems the Mysterons will remain just that - but I get the impression their intentions are good so I'm a content bunny. I just want to see this bloody shirt now

Nice one Swisdom, 4 or 5 players was the number I had heard but not the positions. Makes sense other than I would have expected another right sided defender.
  • From a very good source; It's nothing controversial so no harm in putting it out there. Sorry if not juicy enough for all

Plan is to consolidate this year then push on BUT if it's going well we are ready to invest. Similarly we will have funds to invest if we get to the prem. There are levels in place depending on the level we are playing at.
    Some investors wish to remain absolutely anonymous. Anyone at the club discussing names of certain people will be sacked - this comes from someone fairly senior at the club.

I probed about the sponsor and was told I have to wait and see - my man knows but couldn't say.

As far as investment is concerned - it seems the Mysterons will remain just that - but I get the impression their intentions are good so I'm a content bunny. I just want to see this bloody shirt now
    Surprised we aren't after any defenders.
  • we will definitely be after a defender. are we going to go into the season with one RB?
  • Whisper Whisper!! If Sheff Utd dont go up expect us to be in for at least 1 or 2 of their players. Now which two would you want?
    Maguire and Quinn
  • McDonald and Quinn
  • Iwelumo was an utter donkey. If a ball was cleared upfield he'd stand watching it and then as it was about to land he'd realise he wasn't underneath it and make a mad dash to get to the ball and either foul a defender who had anticipated or miscontrol. He made zero chances for himself and caused opponents no worry whatsoever.
  • Thought Iwelumo was gd for us, decent enough player at his strengths
  • Iwelumo's two winners at the end of 2 consecutive away games will always make him a legend with me. Brilliant away nights.
  • Sponsored links:

• Iwelumo was an utter donkey. If a ball was cleared upfield he'd stand watching it and then as it was about to land he'd realise he wasn't underneath it and make a mad dash to get to the ball and either foul a defender who had anticipated or miscontrol. He made zero chances for himself and caused opponents no worry whatsoever.
    Amazing how he scored all those goals for us and then got promoted with Wolves then.

• Big Chris was ok for us. Should never have dropped him for Gray.

Surprised we aren't after any defenders.

If you added a cover Right Back and a Centre Back to that wish list it would be about right IMHO

Thanks for sharing that Swisdom. Always interesting to hear from inside the club, even when confidentiality has to be respected. Would imagine at least one of those midfielders is likely to be a winger with pace, and Chrissy also likes his midfielders to chip in with goals. Like most, I'd expect an additional dfender too; possibly a versatile rb/centre half.

We never played to his strengths, we always hoofed the long ball up to him so he was playing with his back to goal trying to win it and flick it on. Give the ball to a couple of wide men and get them whipping in crosses and he will bag you goals all day long.

Big Chris needs to be facing the goal , not have his back to it

Swisdom perhaps we have a mutual friend/contact, expect 2 of those 5 to be Sheff Utd players,
  • Iwelumo didn't have to move for the ball cos he was a Monster...

:)

• Swisdom perhaps we have a mutual friend/contact, expect 2 of those 5 to be Sheff Utd players,
    Entirely possible hence I won't name him/her or betray their trust.

I'm playing golf with Phil Chapple next week so hope to probe him a bit - he asked me last year who I liked and we signed two of them so maybe I'll run a few names by him again.

Just as a point - Greg Halford started off as a right winger for Colchester but also covers at right back. a proper utility man if you will...

• Swisdom perhaps we have a mutual friend/contact, expect 2 of those 5 to be Sheff Utd players,

I'm playing golf with Phil Chapple next week so hope to probe him a bit - he asked me last year who I liked and we signed two of them so maybe I'll run a few names by him again.

Just as a point - Greg Halford started off as a right winger for Colchester but also covers at right back. a proper utility man if you will...
    I bet Phil Chapple won't be bending over to pick his ball out th hole now :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Billy Paynter?
  • Alex Bruce?
  • two very good players
  • clayton is a good young player too
  • No to Paynter
    Dont know about Bruce.

Interesting that Lloydy has been released. Maybe a switch to Notts County where he is on loan.

Also interesting that Paul Connolly is leaving. Was linked to us when he left Plymouth. Pardew's last pre-season.
  • Adam Clayton had a good season, would be very happy if he came. Nunez is a good player too, very quick lots of flair, bit on the soft side, but the talent is there. Wonder if SCP will see something in him.
  • How about Gleeson from MKD and Baldock from WHU as targets?

Lowton and Quinn?
  • Um, a bit wary of other club's "dregs". Want hungry players on the up. Bostwick, Freeman. Quinn. As for a striker, no idea, but not Paynter. Austin was the better of the two when they were as Swindon.
  • Macdonald at Sheff United woudl be a good move and one i think ill happen if they dont go up.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!