Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• I'm surprised no-one has posted a Semedo/Christano Ronaldo story yet as they're best mates apparently!
  • I think Doherty may fall into the Dailly kind of category. Quite a few people didn't fancy Dailly because he looked a bit ropey at times when playing for Blackburn and West Ham in the prem but he's been great for us in League One. I think the same is probably true of Doherty at Norwich and anyone who played reguarly last season in the team that pissed this division should not be written off without a fair trial, imo.

Do agree with Scoham though, we might be a bit vulnerable to pace, although having said that Dailly reads the game so well (plus he not that slow) that we only came unstuck a couple of times with him and Llera together and most of that happened early in the season when they will still a new pairing.

If he's on a freebie we could do a whole lot worse, especially if he was signed as a replacement for Llera (if there's anything in the rumours he may be off for a, albeit small, fee)
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I cannot tell a lie, the McCartney one was mine. You lot seemed insistant they would publish anything, I didn't disagree for a minute but I couldn't resist adding my own load of gibberish to the proceedings!! ;o)

Well it certainly made me laugh.
  • Looking back we didn't sign Llera (our first signing last summer) until 29th June, then Richardson just over a week later. Hopefully we're not waiting that long again for our first signing.
  • Someone must edit Footie Rumours , this one must have come from here as well

07 Jun 2010 09:22:26
    I live a short distance from Sparrows Lane which is the training ground for both Charlton and Millwall. Over the course of the weekend I saw Chris Powell heading to the Charlton office with a view to discussing a coaching role there aswell as Liverpool starlets Jay Spearing and Andre Wisdom who are likely to be joining on a season long loan as part of the Shelvey deal – I got this from one of the groundsmen (Henry Irving) there as he is a good friend of mine.

In addition to this I saw out of contract Norwich defender Gary Doherty and out of favour Cardiff skipper Mark Hudson being shown around the Millwall training ground on Saturday. {editor's note – I am not 100% sure on this but I am pretty sure Wisdom went away on holiday after finishing his England duty by scoring 2 goals in the final (unfortunately only 1 at the right end!) of the U17 champs to help them win. So I very much doubt if it was him, but I am sure someone out there would know better than me.}
  • our Henry moonlighting as a groundsman. LOL.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]our Henry moonlighting as a groundsman. LOL.

Times are hard and I preferto be called a Lawn Consultant actually ; - )

Millwall left Sparrows Lane ages ago didn't they? Train in Downham now I think.

The other bits about Spearing and Wilson are true but not Powell, I'm afraid.
  • Don't know much about Wilson but if we get Spearing I'll be pleasantly shocked.
  • edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]Someone must edit Footie Rumours , this one must have come from here as well

07 Jun 2010 09:22:26
    I live a short distance from Sparrows Lane which is the training ground for both Charlton and Millwall. Over the course of the weekend I saw Chris Powell heading to the Charlton office with a view to discussing a coaching role there aswell as Liverpool starlets Jay Spearing and Andre Wisdom who are likely to be joining on a season long loan as part of the Shelvey deal – I got this from one of the groundsmen (Henry Irving) there as he is a good friend of mine.

In addition to this I saw out of contract Norwich defender Gary Doherty and out of favour Cardiff skipper Mark Hudson being shown around the Millwall training ground on Saturday. {editor's note – I am not 100% sure on this but I am pretty sure Wisdom went away on holiday after finishing his England duty by scoring 2 goals in the final (unfortunately only 1 at the right end!) of the U17 champs to help them win. So I very much doubt if it was him, but I am sure someone out there would know better than me.}

Whoever could have created this comment I wonder.....................

*sniggers at getting his surname up in lights*
  • To be honest i can't see much happening transfer wise until 1st week july at the earliest. Reasons being we are likely to be going for free transfers so will need to wait for contracts to expire, normally end of June. Secondly the club are still discussing contracts with our current crop of out of contract players. Before we know what we have to spend salary wise we need to determine what we have to work with after contract talks finish and selling players on.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Madz[/cite]To be honest i can't see much happening transfer wise until 1st week july at the earliest. Reasons being we are likely to be going for free transfers so will need to wait for contracts to expire, normally end of June. Secondly the club are still discussing contracts with our current crop of out of contract players. Before we know what we have to spend salary wise we need to determine what we have to work with after contract talks finish and selling players on.
    Don't have to wait until contracts expire, plenty of signings are announced but officially go through on 1st July after contracts at their current club end on 30th June. Iwelumo for example we announced in May, but was officially a Charlton player on 1st July.

Like you say though I'd expect news on our current out of contract players before any new signings.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Looking back we didn't sign Llera (our first signing last summer) until 29th June, then Richardson just over a week later. Hopefully we're not waiting that long again for our first signing.

technically Akpo Sodje was our first signing... but i know what you mean.

ok who posted this

07 Jun 2010 11:19:08
    My dads uncles brother works at Charlton as part of the admin team, in the past few days he's seen Alan Curbishley and Tord Grip enter the Valley. He also said Charlton will complete a move for a 3 year deal for Irish starlet David Mooney.

don't know what's worse; calling David Mooney a starlet. or saying 'your dad's uncle's brother'- which would be your granddad or a great ancle.

XD

07 Jun 2010 10:49:58
    Leeds United will this week announce the signing of Charlton winger Llyod Sam. Also Nicky Bailey is being highly sort after by Norwich, Southampton and Middelsboro respectively. Expect Charlton to sign the following:

Jay Spearing – Liverpool – Loan
    Akinfenwa – Northampton – free
    Michael Bostwick – Stevenage – 90k
    Danny Green – Dag & Red – 200k
    Vincelot – Dag & Red – 120k
    Joe Anyinsah – Carlisle – free

these i can actually see happening.
  • free transfers can still sign a contract now that starts on 1st July. Despite what you say we know what we are prepared to offer the out of contract players and I doubt there is much room for negotiation, if they don't like it then we'll look elsewhere.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Looking back we didn't sign Llera (our first signing last summer) until 29th June, then Richardson just over a week later. Hopefully we're not waiting that long again for our first signing.

technically Akpo Sodje was our first signing... but i know what you mean.

ok who posted this

07 Jun 2010 11:19:08
    My dads uncles brother works at Charlton as part of the admin team, in the past few days he's seen Alan Curbishley and Tord Grip enter the Valley. He also said Charlton will complete a move for a 3 year deal for Irish starlet David Mooney.

don't know what's worse; calling David Mooney a starlet. or saying 'your dad's uncle's brother'- which would be your granddad or a great ancle.

XD

07 Jun 2010 10:49:58
    Leeds United will this week announce the signing of Charlton winger Llyod Sam. Also Nicky Bailey is being highly sort after by Norwich, Southampton and Middelsboro respectively. Expect Charlton to sign the following:

the only one's I can see possibly happening is Spearing, although Leicester are trying to sign him, and Akinfenwa because he's not bad and on a free. Even if we sell Bailey for a million a very much doubt we'd sign anyone on a fee and certainly not 200k.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]technically Akpo Sodje was our first signing... but i know what you mean.

Yeah kind of forgot about Akpo. As for those signings, the frees and loans maybe, surely not the ones with fees though?
  • Haha, 500 comments on not a lot except for rumours we have all made up...close season is so dull, bring on the World Cup!
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]technically Akpo Sodje was our first signing... but i know what you mean.

Yeah kind of forgot about Akpo. As for those signings, the frees and loans maybe, surely not the ones with fees though?

even free transfers cost us money, as most would demand a signing-on fee and the money being suggested there probably isn't far off for a lot of freebies demands.
  • Uncle? I think this is bollocks but only Uncle knows haha but aint he still on holiday?

07 Jun 2010 11:22:46
    Jonjo Shelvey was back at the valley today in talks with Phil Parkinson over a deal to be loaned back to Charlton for the coming season. People close to Shelvey are saying "its a dream move but its to soon and jonjo wants another season with Charlton" The deal will very much depend on what assurances Parkinson will give the teenage star of playing. Feeling very under used last season Shelvey will need more football than that and so will Liverpool.
  • I don't know but would suspect that Jonjo would be reluctant to play even one more game under Parky. If loaned out I'd think he'd go to a top Championship club but I reckon he'll be used more by Liverpool than some might think.
  • Charlton Athletic Boss Phil Parkinson is trying to close deals for both AFC Bournemouth Forward Brett Pitman and Southend United midfielder Alan Mccormack with a reported combined fee of around 600k being quoted for the pair, Which is expected to be funded by the departed of Nicky Bailey to Leeds United.
  • Sponsored links:

• A rumour regarding Doherty from a good friend who lives in Norwich is that Doherty and Ambrose would get along very well if they were ever in the same changing room.

Think he is pony as a defender though.
  • [cite]Posted By: SmithyCAFC[/cite]Charlton Athletic Boss Phil Parkinson is trying to close deals for both AFC Bournemouth Forward Brett Pitman and Southend United midfielder Alan Mccormack with a reported combined fee of around 600k being quoted for the pair, Which is expected to be funded by the departed of Nicky Bailey to Leeds United.

can't see Bailey to Leeds and even if it were true to then spend 600k would mean Leeds paying us about 4m which ain't gonna happen.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]A rumour regarding Doherty from a good friend who lives in Norwich is that Doherty and Ambrose would get along very well if they were ever in the same changing room.

So what?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]A rumour regarding Doherty from a good friend who lives in Norwich is that Doherty and Ambrose would get along very well if they were ever in the same changing room.[/quote]

So what?[/quote]

Nothing only that when he turns out to be pony (which imho he is), there is a possible song there. Ie the like Ambrose one which was briefly heard towards end of season.
  • [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]A rumour regarding Doherty from a good friend who lives in Norwich is that Doherty and Ambrose would get along very well if they were ever in the same changing room.

So what?

They must share an interesting hobby. Darren Ambrose has a young child so maybe Gary Doherty does too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]don't know what's worse; calling David Mooney a starlet. or saying 'your dad's uncle's brother'- which would be your granddad or a great ancle.

"your dad's uncle's brother" is possibly correct (one of the few correct things on rumours). He could be an uncle through marrying your aunt and is not actually a direct relative; your uncle's brother is therefore no relative at all.. If he was a direct relative he could be a grandad or grand uncle, although grand uncle(and aunt) are little used nowadays with people preferring to use great.

How many of us pedants read this site as we have lots to pick at, including this post. Please say "Aye"
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]even free transfers cost us money, as most would demand a signing-on fee and the money being suggested there probably isn't far off for a lot of freebies demands.
    Of course but apart from Matt Spring for an undisclosed fee, we haven't spent a fee for coming up to 2 years. We're now going start our second season in League One, just can't see us spending say £200k on a player, and wages and possibly a signing on fee. The odd undisclosed fee at the very most is what I'd expect to see on fees, if anything at all.
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Nothing only that when he turns out to be pony (which imho he is), there is a possible song there. Ie the like Ambrose one which was briefly heard towards end of season.
    He was a regular for Norwich last season, who can we get that is a lot better then? When we signed Dailly people had their doubts, but he showed he's more than good enough for League One. Most signings if not all signings will be older players, loans, players wanting a new challenge and rejects from other clubs.
  • Doherty may have been a regular for Norwich but if we keep Dailly, surely we need someone with a bit more mobility alongside him. Maybe Matt Fry back or the Stevenage defender we have been linked with. Also agree with the above post that like Llera, the Doc is an accident waiting to happen.

On another note- John O'flynn at Barnet is out of contract and awaiting talks with Stimson, no compensation would be needed if they do offer him a new deal as sure he is about 26/27 and his scoring record is very impressive considering he has played for a struggling side. Read on their message board that he was unfit at times last season yet was still played regularly. This may explain why his record last year was not quite so good- overall though I think it si 34 in 72 starts for the Bees. Would be worth a punt?
  • Doherty made over 40 appearances for Norwich last season and came 3rd in their player of the year which isn't bad going considering they had Holt, Hoolahan, Martin and Forster in their team. Whilst he's not exactly the worlds best centre back or blessed with lightning pace, how often do league one defenders come up against strikers with blistering pace? I''m sure he'd be more than capable for us, especially on a free and i'd much rather have him in the side than Llera the liability.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]
    On another note- John O'flynn at Barnet is out of contract and awaiting talks with Stimson, no compensation would be needed if they do offer him a new deal as sure he is about 26/27 and his scoring record is very impressive considering he has played for a struggling side. Read on their message board that he was unfit at times last season yet was still played regularly. This may explain why his record last year was not quite so good- overall though I think it si 34 in 72 starts for the Bees. Would be worth a punt?[/quote]

definitely - John O'Flynn is more than capable of doing a job for us.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!