Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• People that have got cartilage or ligament damage in their knees and don't go and get it looked at.
  • People that have got cartilage or ligament damage in their knees and don't go and get it looked at.

Whoops.

You share that one with my girlfriend to be fair..
  • LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

Right. So as I was typing the last post I ended up in Notting Hill Gate as I got on the wrong train. Rather than go back the other way, I decided to go an alternative route.

I managed to sit on a Central Line train, when a woman taps me on the shoulder and asks me to get up. I was pretty horrified actually, as I always try and offer my seat to pensioners and the like.

Now I should clarify that I have an issue with my left knee. If its stationary for anything more than a few seconds then it "locks" in place, and is incredibly painful when I move it. Sometimes it's just a sharp pain and a click, sometimes it feels absolutely awful and I lose my breathe momentarily, or - worst case scenario - immediately fall over. Needless to say, sometimes standing up requires twisting my knee to a 90 degree angle and slowly straightening it out.

As I've stood up I've ended up hurting myself, I've actually apologised to the woman for "being in my own world" and - realising the old gent who she wanted to sit down didn't want my seat, I even did the old "hah, my stop is next - take it" and gave the woman a knowing smile. Nobody sat in my seat - it was empty for 3 stops.

Then it occured to me: what the fuck? I sat down to try and stop my knee from locking and to take the pressure of it, I have friends who are my age (mid twenties) that have issues that would mean they need a seat too. You've seen my age, figured that I'm just fucking rude and then decided to prove a point. I went from being pretty mortified at myself and embarassed, to just angry to be honest.

There are rude people in the world, and a higher concentration on the London Underground than most places, but don't feckin judge people because of their age.

For what it's worth, I'm currently standing on a train home and my knee feels like it's on fire.

So if no one sat down in your place why was she asking you to get up?
    Because there was an older gent, but he looked a bit annoyed that she'd done it to be honest, and I figure he was a bit embarassed that she'd done it, so he didnt even go for it!

Thinking of it, he did sit down somewhere else though. So there really was no reason for her to do it.
    Should have shown her your ticket proving that you've paid like everyone else so are allowed to sit down.

Would have ignored her myself as you should wait to be offered, not bloody demand like that!!
    My gut reaction was just "Oh crap, am I that guy that doesn't give a crap?" - as I say - embarassed.

I guess her heart was in the right place to be fair to her, it's just wound me up. My knee is my own bloody stupidity, it's been going on long enough for me to see the doctor, but I know a few people who have got things that are actually quite serious and would probably do the same as me to avoid confrontation.
  • I had the same issue on the trains when I was commuting last year. I also have dodgy knees.

My station was just about the last one you could get on my train and still get a seat (on a normal day).

I always cut it fine to get to work on time so I would like to be at the front of the train so I would walk along the platform and stand where I knew rhetoric doors would open. I'd be the first one on and most of the time I'd get a seat.

Now there was this lady who got on my station who was clearly disabled she walked with a crutch. Now normally I'd have no issue giving my seat up for her. But what she would do is stand at the wrong end of the platform and wait until the train had arrived before walking along the platform getting on the front carriage after it had filled up and asking someone (nearly always me) for a seat.

Now she was standing waiting for the train so clearly had no issue standing for that short period of time. So she could have stood at the other end of the platform then she would get on with everyone else and probably get a seat. Or she could get on the train where she was standing and be guaranteed a seat at the back of the train. Instead she waits for all the seats to be taken then insists she gets mine right at the front.

I then had to walk the length of the train looking for a seat and nearly always had to walk all the way back to the front to stand because there weren't any.

This went on for a period of months where she'd ask for my seat every day. I ended up getting the earlier train as I (or my knees) couldn't deal with standing any more!

I see that as a blatant abuse of her disability frankly.
  • Or in general when someone walks the length of the platform to get to the busy part of the train, goes past 6 half empty carriages but insists on getting a seat on the busiest ones because of a disability.

I'm sorry but if they're full then you can sit somewhere else. You've just walked past loads of empty seats go and sit on one.

I don't want to appear anti disabled people but I do feel that some very much take the piss when it comes to train seats.
  • LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

Right. So as I was typing the last post I ended up in Notting Hill Gate as I got on the wrong train. Rather than go back the other way, I decided to go an alternative route.

I managed to sit on a Central Line train, when a woman taps me on the shoulder and asks me to get up. I was pretty horrified actually, as I always try and offer my seat to pensioners and the like.

Now I should clarify that I have an issue with my left knee. If its stationary for anything more than a few seconds then it "locks" in place, and is incredibly painful when I move it. Sometimes it's just a sharp pain and a click, sometimes it feels absolutely awful and I lose my breathe momentarily, or - worst case scenario - immediately fall over. Needless to say, sometimes standing up requires twisting my knee to a 90 degree angle and slowly straightening it out.

As I've stood up I've ended up hurting myself, I've actually apologised to the woman for "being in my own world" and - realising the old gent who she wanted to sit down didn't want my seat, I even did the old "hah, my stop is next - take it" and gave the woman a knowing smile. Nobody sat in my seat - it was empty for 3 stops.

Then it occured to me: what the fuck? I sat down to try and stop my knee from locking and to take the pressure of it, I have friends who are my age (mid twenties) that have issues that would mean they need a seat too. You've seen my age, figured that I'm just fucking rude and then decided to prove a point. I went from being pretty mortified at myself and embarassed, to just angry to be honest.

There are rude people in the world, and a higher concentration on the London Underground than most places, but don't feckin judge people because of their age.

For what it's worth, I'm currently standing on a train home and my knee feels like it's on fire.

Because there was an older gent, but he looked a bit annoyed that she'd done it to be honest, and I figure he was a bit embarassed that she'd done it, so he didnt even go for it!

Thinking of it, he did sit down somewhere else though. So there really was no reason for her to do it.
    Should have shown her your ticket proving that you've paid like everyone else so are allowed to sit down.

Would have ignored her myself as you should wait to be offered, not bloody demand like that!!
    My gut reaction was just "Oh crap, am I that guy that doesn't give a crap?" - as I say - embarassed.

I guess her heart was in the right place to be fair to her, it's just wound me up. My knee is my own bloody stupidity, it's been going on long enough for me to see the doctor, but I know a few people who have got things that are actually quite serious and would probably do the same as me to avoid confrontation.
    Seriously mate, get it looked at, you'll be glad of it when you're older.

Luckily, I've never had any serious injuries but anything I did get, I got it sorted immediately.

I'm approaching 50 but have managed to keep playing (still shit though)
  • LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

Luckily, I've never had any serious injuries but anything I did get, I got it sorted immediately.

You've def not aged well. :smiley:
  • LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

Do you fancy a game this Sunday mate?
  • LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

Do you fancy a game this Sunday mate?
    Christ - you must be desperate! Il out Sunday, but if I get back in time I may well do - I'll message you.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2016
    LuckyReds said:

People that have got cartilage or ligament damage in their knees and don't go and get it looked at.

You share that one with my girlfriend to be fair..
    I had an operation on my ACL and cartilage about 6 years ago. My knee locked up all the time before it, couldn't play football etc, then with a bit of post-op physio work my knee feels stronger than it ever has. Get to the doctors and get it scanned and sorted.
  • People's inability to attack the space both on train platforms and on trains. Let's all fucking congregate in the same place on a platform or by the doors of a train. Tossers
  • The fact that I can't stop singing 'the Snowman'. Well, the 'we're walking in the air' bit cos it's all I know. Been in my head all day and it won't shift.
  • Trying not to let rip when doing laying down squats on the smith in the gym. I know it's gonna be a proper wrong'un when it slips out as well.

Gym unusually busy for Friday night as well
  • Greenie said:

Stig said:

Secret Santa - what a load of old nonsense.

Obliged to do this, its never been a problem but the person who has organised it at my place has used an online reminder system, apparently we can make a SS 'wish list', I haven't made my 'wish list' and a notification tells me at least once a day, we have a limit of £8 (no, really) how about a real Ferrari then?
    Jackboots, leather greatcoat- that sort of thing?
  • Kevin Kilbane being a co-commentator and critical analyst, when his only honour is to win the 3rd division with Preston in 1996.
  • Kevin Kilbane being a co-commentator and critical analyst, when his only honour is to win the 3rd division with Preston in 1996.

Rather him than Paul Ince. He spits his works out like a machine gun.
  • Carter said:

Mincing. And I don't mean in the sense the word can be used to offensively describe gay men. I mean umming and arring not making decisions.

The world would be so much easier if less mincing went on

I've never heard the term used in that context (umming and arring).

Surely what you describe is either dithering, fannying around or piss balling about?

Sheesh! Make your mind up!
    :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Bloody hell Canters, I know I shouldn't laugh - but that first post cracked me up. She literally used you as a seat reservation on a daily basis.

Fair play to you for deciding to get another train, I get the impression that you know exactly what I mean about the embarassment of being asked to get up and not want to be seen telling someone "No.": it would make you look like a right bastard.

• Getting on the train at Bromley, going towards Kent, and seeing a young couple decked out in Watford gear... with feckin' commemorative half-and-half scarves.

Watford vs West Brom is hardly El Classico! It's got to be the most bone fixture of the Prem!
  • LuckyReds said:

Getting on the train at Bromley, going towards Kent, and seeing a young couple decked out in Watford gear... with feckin' commemorative half-and-half scarves.

Watford vs West Brom is hardly El Classico! It's got to be the most bone fixture of the Prem!

Come on now, it's right up there with other high-profile games this weekend, like Stoke/Burnley or Middlesbrough/Hull.

#BestLeagueInTheWorld
  • LuckyReds said:

Bloody hell Canters, I know I shouldn't laugh - but that first post cracked me up. She literally used you as a seat reservation on a daily basis.

Fair play to you for deciding to get another train, I get the impression that you know exactly what I mean about the embarassment of being asked to get up and not want to be seen telling someone "No.": it would make you look like a right bastard.

I know. Was genuinely annoyed. The worst part was that if she just stood a bit further along the platform we would both get a seat...

Exactly no way could I, a 21 yr old healthy(ish) young fella say no to a disabled person on a train. If I'd have said no I would probably have been vilified. Just every day was a bit much. I saw getting another train as losing but there was no way I could put up with it any longer.
  • Or in general when someone walks the length of the platform to get to the busy part of the train, goes past 6 half empty carriages but insists on getting a seat on the busiest ones because of a disability.

I'm sorry but if they're full then you can sit somewhere else. You've just walked past loads of empty seats go and sit on one.

I don't want to appear anti disabled people but I do feel that some very much take the piss when it comes to train seats.

As soon as you sit down, headphones in and pretend to be asleep.

I'm pretty sure I posted a similar post earlier this year about a pregnant woman who walked past the designated 'give this seat up for a disabled, pregnant or elderly passenger' seat, past a group of young women and all their bags to the middle of a tube carriage to ask me to give up my seat because she was too embarrassed to ask any of the other women for a seat.
  • I thought there was a thread dedicated to this prick but couldn't find it. What a C James Maclean of WBA is. Just watching MOTD and I know the Watford guy reacted, but it wasn't that much of a reaction. If the ref is sending the Watford guy off, Maclean has to go to
  • Fiiish said:

Or in general when someone walks the length of the platform to get to the busy part of the train, goes past 6 half empty carriages but insists on getting a seat on the busiest ones because of a disability.

I'm pretty sure I posted a similar post earlier this year about a pregnant woman who walked past the designated 'give this seat up for a disabled, pregnant or elderly passenger' seat, past a group of young women and all their bags to the middle of a tube carriage to ask me to give up my seat because she was too embarrassed to ask any of the other women for a seat.
    Tried that. There was always a tap on the shoulder..
  • Fiiish said:

Or in general when someone walks the length of the platform to get to the busy part of the train, goes past 6 half empty carriages but insists on getting a seat on the busiest ones because of a disability.

Tried that. There was always a tap on the shoulder..
    Keeping your eyes closed as if asleep, start throwing your head side to side and shouting "struth woman, enough is enough. I just can't do sex three times a night. I'd wager she won't hang about. ;)
  • The constant buzzing and vibrating from my dialysis fistula keeping me awake all night
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!