Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• One that always does my nut in a totally irrational way is people making this mistake:

If we're going to London from East Sussex, we're going 'up' to London. Cause we're going northwards. I am not going 'down' to London. Likewise, if I'm coming from Nottingham I'm going 'down' to London not up. The only leeway is if you're going more or less flat East or West but even then I'd say I'm going 'over' to Bristol.

Probably just a personal one, but anyone else noticed/been annoyed by that? Or am I just being pedantic?

Not just you, this winds me up an all and my Mrs does it and gets it wrong for practically every location.
  • towards London is always up regardless of direction. can't believe I have to explain railway parlance on a charlton forum

'In British practice, railway directions are usually described as up and down, with up being towards a major location. This convention is applied not only to the trains and the tracks, but also to items of lineside equipment and to areas near a track. Since British trains run on the left, the up side of a line is on the left when proceeding in the up direction. The names originate from the early railways, where trains would run up the hills to the mines, and down to the ports.

On most of the network, up is the direction towards London'
  • edited July 2016
    Sorry, can't agree Rina. The major location is the one I'm travelling to. It's got to be up or down as stated by Fred.

The one that gets me though is what my wife says when we visit my family in Wales, "we're going up north"! We're not of course, they are on exactly the same latitude. To which I get, "They talk funny*, so they must be up north".

*The Welsh, not my family.
  • One that always does my nut in a totally irrational way is people making this mistake:

If we're going to London from East Sussex, we're going 'up' to London. Cause we're going northwards. I am not going 'down' to London. Likewise, if I'm coming from Nottingham I'm going 'down' to London not up. The only leeway is if you're going more or less flat East or West but even then I'd say I'm going 'over' to Bristol.

Probably just a personal one, but anyone else noticed/been annoyed by that? Or am I just being pedantic?

Dale Stephens got confused by this when he left us.
  • Serena Williams

Cut him some slack. Been a good champion.
  • edited July 2016
    Martin Brundle and his grid walk at Grand Prixs.

Fuck off Martin nobody wants to talk you.
  • edited July 2016
    The jolly hockey sticks Wimbledon customers. Not to mention the Royal box entourage. Even one of the krankies are there today. Prince Willie doing his best to look slick and Cliff Richard looking like a sun dried Tomato.

I find the whole Wimbledon thing sickening.

We need a few smoke bombs and a couple of scallywags to get on the court.
  • Threads that just disappear
  • Sponsored links:

• Threads that just disappear

AFKA just bought one of me invisible man suits
  • Credit Rating.

I decided to check my credit record today. I had a few defaults about 5 years ago, and I'm aware they should be dropping off within the next 12 months. I've recently paid back a £4k loan over the last 10 months for my laser eye surgery, so I wanted to check that had been recorded correctly. I also want to get a Motorbike in the next 6 months (after doing Direct Access) - so I want to know what my chances are for getting finance.

It turns out Talk-Fucking-Talk have given me a default as, presumably, I missed the final payment when I moved house and cancelled their service. Note: I had moved house, so I had no letters from them and I've had no phone calls etc Alas, where my credit rating should be looking quite good now.. it's a big hit, about something I didn't even know about. A default for £65 obviously looks a lot worse than paying back £4k over the last 10 months.

No doubt I'll get some scummy debt collection agency contacting me soon.
  • When some rascal shouts something out at Wimbledon and it equates to cringeworthy false laughter from the pimms brigade.
  • The d

When some rascal shouts something out at Wimbledon and it equates to cringeworthy false laughter from the pimms brigade.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ at Wimbledon
  • The Centre Court crowd makes my teeth itch
  • Specially Benedick Cumonmeback
  • The Centre Court crowd makes my teeth itch

I know. The highlight of the London Olympics was Federer's face when the usual centre court crowd was replaced with a crowd that gave it large whenever he missed
  • When some rascal shouts something out at Wimbledon and it equates to cringeworthy false laughter from the pimms brigade.

Yeah, like "go on Jimmy" or is that darts?
  • edited July 2016
    T.C.E said:

When some rascal shouts something out at Wimbledon and it equates to cringeworthy false laughter from the pimms brigade.

You're getting confused with Jim'll fix it
  • T.C.E said:

Your getting confused with that party I took you to.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2016

T.C.E said:

Your getting confused with that party I took you to.
    You promised not to mention it.
  • People grassing on you when you've been out in a bender at a party.
  • People grassing on you when you've been out in a bender at a party.

In or on?
  • I may edit that typo.

Saw I'd not typed it right after I'd hit the post comment button but hadn't realised how it could be interpretated.
  • Who did you finger Neil? Or who are you accused of fingering?

Or the worst, you didn't do any fingering and have just had someone grass on you being somewhere unexpected?
  • Um I was just commenting on the post above mine from ricky_otto.

Fortunately my fingering exploits remain private between me and the ladies concerned.
  • Arron Banks.
  • When you reflect upon your own thread and realise it could have gone here.

Pointless sayings, pointless thread
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!