Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Happy to listen to counter arguments for this but...

The PL deciding to play Le Marseillaise before all Premier League games this weekend.

Whilst I think the sentiment behind it is good, it comes across as another opportunity for brand exposure for the Premier League. I thought the idea was that sport unifies people of all race/religion etc. But if that is the case, should it not be the entire Football League doing this?
  • I agree - I think enough was done at Wembley.
    Think it will lose its resonance doing it at all the grounds again this weekend.
  • andyg90 said:

Happy to listen to counter arguments for this but...

The PL deciding to play Le Marseillaise before all Premier League games this weekend.

Whilst I think the sentiment behind it is good, it comes across as another opportunity for brand exposure for the Premier League. I thought the idea was that sport unifies people of all race/religion etc. But if that is the case, should it not be the entire Football League doing this?

Thought it was a joke - should have known better. Even the Eng game was ott in my opinion. Black armbands and min silence would do.
  • Some regular visitors/friends from the UK said if we were booking our (and their) favourite restaurant for NYE, would we book for them to join us too. In September I mentioned it to the owner, Sergio, and believe it or not they were already booked up, but because we are old pals he said he would find a way to prize the two of us in. As we had said we would go with our friends, and didn't want to do an "I'm alright Jack" we reluctantly declined. We have since made arrangements - although not booked yet, as the restaurant in question have still not got their shit together - to go elsewhere, along with the couple mentioned and 10 others. Yesterday I got a message from the friends saying the Sergio has called and said they have two cancellations - Sergio obviously not realising that these were the two friends that we didn't want to let down... It's too late for us to pull out of the second "booking" as all the others are expecting us to be there now, so we end up missing out on the night out we really wanted, and the couple we sacrificed it for are going. No-ones fault, but bloody annoying all the same...

Phone up pretending to be the other couple and cancel.
    ..and say it's because you've both got an "infection".

; )
  • For annoy, change to furious.

31 years after a young police woman, Yvonne Fletcher was murdered outside the
    Libyan embassy, they say they have arrested a man.
    31 years too late for her Father who died without her killer being brought to justice.

According to the national archive records which were released last year after 30 years, the diplomats had to be released after a 11 day siege because even thou we knew the shots were fired from inside the embassy, Thatcher and Leon Brittan decided they had to be released and they even used the Embassy bag to conceal the guns because of the diplomatic immunity.

We can go to war, like the US led war on Iraq which was illegal according to Kofi Annan the SG of the United Nations, but a police officer is murdered and the murderer is allowed to walk away.

I wonder what would happen if that incident occurred today on the streets of London.
  • People not standing up for the 2%...
  • Curb_It said:

People not standing up for the 2%...

Know exactly what you mean
  • Some regular visitors/friends from the UK said if we were booking our (and their) favourite restaurant for NYE, would we book for them to join us too. In September I mentioned it to the owner, Sergio, and believe it or not they were already booked up, but because we are old pals he said he would find a way to prize the two of us in. As we had said we would go with our friends, and didn't want to do an "I'm alright Jack" we reluctantly declined. We have since made arrangements - although not booked yet, as the restaurant in question have still not got their shit together - to go elsewhere, along with the couple mentioned and 10 others. Yesterday I got a message from the friends saying the Sergio has called and said they have two cancellations - Sergio obviously not realising that these were the two friends that we didn't want to let down... It's too late for us to pull out of the second "booking" as all the others are expecting us to be there now, so we end up missing out on the night out we really wanted, and the couple we sacrificed it for are going. No-ones fault, but bloody annoying all the same...

Shouldn't your friends also politely decline? You say it's nobody's fault, but the way you describe it sounds like your friends are being a bit selfish?
    Well, they are not aware that we turned it down LR, and in theory we could go there every week (albeit not for the NYE feast), whereas they are only over four of five times a year. Hey ho - not the end of the world, I just wanted to get it orf me chest... :smile:
  • stonemuse said:

Some regular visitors/friends from the UK said if we were booking our (and their) favourite restaurant for NYE, would we book for them to join us too. In September I mentioned it to the owner, Sergio, and believe it or not they were already booked up, but because we are old pals he said he would find a way to prize the two of us in. As we had said we would go with our friends, and didn't want to do an "I'm alright Jack" we reluctantly declined. We have since made arrangements - although not booked yet, as the restaurant in question have still not got their shit together - to go elsewhere, along with the couple mentioned and 10 others. Yesterday I got a message from the friends saying the Sergio has called and said they have two cancellations - Sergio obviously not realising that these were the two friends that we didn't want to let down... It's too late for us to pull out of the second "booking" as all the others are expecting us to be there now, so we end up missing out on the night out we really wanted, and the couple we sacrificed it for are going. No-ones fault, but bloody annoying all the same...

Shouldn't your friends also politely decline? You say it's nobody's fault, but the way you describe it sounds like your friends are being a bit selfish?
    exactly ... and why have you never taken me to that restaurant P? :wink:
    We can, but it's twice the price of Alf's mate... :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

Well, they are not aware that we turned it down LR, and in theory we could go there every week (albeit not for the NYE feast), whereas they are only over four of five times a year. Hey ho - not the end of the world, I just wanted to get it orf me chest... :smile:
    Ah! I see!
    To be honest, I did wonder if it might not be as straightforward as it seemed.
    :smile:
  • For annoy, change to furious.

31 years after a young police woman, Yvonne Fletcher was murdered outside the
    Libyan embassy, they say they have arrested a man.
    31 years too late for her Father who died without her killer being brought to justice.

According to the national archive records which were released last year after 30 years, the diplomats had to be released after a 11 day siege because even thou we knew the shots were fired from inside the embassy, Thatcher and Leon Brittan decided they had to be released and they even used the Embassy bag to conceal the guns because of the diplomatic immunity.

We can go to war, like the US led war on Iraq which was illegal according to Kofi Annan the SG of the United Nations, but a police officer is murdered and the murderer is allowed to walk away.

I wonder what would happen if that incident occurred today on the streets of London.

It is quite disgusting how expendable individuals are if it gets in the way of a bigger (political) picture.
  • said it on here before but after this morning, learner drivers.

some tips:

• drive faster (not 10mph)
    • don't be scared of speed bumps, they won't hurt you
    • and if I'm behind you, stop going the way I want to go ffs
  • People who take multiple selfies. I swear the woman next to me at breakfast in my hotel is a wannabe model, posing this way and that way for her friends on Facebook. Hopefully, I'll be in the background on some though.
  • People who take multiple selfies. I swear the woman next to me at breakfast in my hotel is a wannabe model, posing this way and that way for her friends on Facebook. Hopefully, I'll be in the background on some though.
  • People who lost multiple posts ;)

Phone up pretending to be the other couple and cancel.
    Is the right answer.
  • Garry Richardson on Sportsweek on R5L.
    He can't ask an interesting question to save his life. And most of his questions are just statements anyway.
  • McBobbin said:

People who lost multiple posts ;)

I assume you mean 'people who post multiple posts', but you will note that it got me an extra LOL by posting it twice. Try it some time.
  • McBobbin said:

I assume you mean 'people who post multiple posts', but you will note that it got me an extra LOL by posting it twice. Try it some time.
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:

I gave a multiple lol as a follow on from the multiple selfies and multiple posts - I thought that that was the theme of the joke ... I may have over egged it ... I just like to join in.
  • People who go to obviously very family friendly restaurants (indoor play area, kids menu etc) then huff at kids making noise.

Plenty of other places to choose if they'd rather it was quieter!
  • The phrase 'Saying that' lazily replacing 'Having said that'.
  • Riviera said:

Drivers who are up your arse when you negotiate a succession of speed bumps in the manner you are supposed to; for road safety and not to damage your car. I'm only going to go even slower fella!

Not really to do with speed bumps, but slow drivers in general. Ive never understood the mentality of going even slower when clearly someone is in a hurry, they may have to take someone to hospital, or are late for a job interview. If you want to go slow, and there are 6-7 cars up your chuff, just pull over and let them pass. Or is it an ego and control thing?
  • Riviera said:

Drivers who are up your arse when you negotiate a succession of speed bumps in the manner you are supposed to; for road safety and not to damage your car. I'm only going to go even slower fella!

I get this a lot when I'm out in my old MG, especially with the bumps that are spaced out to allow buses through. Most cars can drive over the middle of them but I'd rip my exhaust off. The amount of times I've had impatient aresholes behind me with the hump because they've been delayed by a few seconds.
  • Greenie said:

Riviera said:

Not really to do with speed bumps, but slow drivers in general. Ive never understood the mentality of going even slower when clearly someone is in a hurry, they may have to take someone to hospital, or are late for a job interview. If you want to go slow, and there are 6-7 cars up your chuff, just pull over and let them pass. Or is it an ego and control thing?
    You need to go on a Speed Awareness Course.
  • Riviera said:

Greenie said:

Riviera said:

You need to go on a Speed Awareness Course.
    Why? I always know how fast I'm going!
  • Top Gear audience types
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!