Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• The phrase redouble our efforts. How do we know if they have been already been doubled?
  • the Head & Shoulders Joe Hart advert:-

"no no no no no no no no no no no no there's no dandruff"

have some respect for yourself man.
  • "Knee jerk reaction."

If you believed 10 month ago, that a certain action should be taken after the charlie Hebdo killings, and you still believe in the same course of action after Paris and the death of 131 (and sadly still rising)
    How is that a Knee jerk reaction ?
  • Jeff Stelling pronouncing competitions as combeditions
  • Jeff Stelling pronouncing competitions as combeditions

Is that with a silent 'b'?
  • edited November 2015
    The media reaction to the tragic events in France and similar.

I realise it is difficult to strike an appropriate balance between factual reporting showing due respect for the victims and sensationalism and voyeurism but in my opinion the media invariably lean towards the latter which only benefits the terrorists and their evil acts and aims.

On the one hand we are told not to let terrorism change our lives so why does the media cancel programmes to give yet more oxygen of publicity to ISIS /ISIL or whatever it is called?

We should carry on as usual to the best of our abilities.
  • SKY tennis commentators.

Mostly 2nd or 3rd tier players in their day who have, since their retirement, been Coach tutored to the Nth degree and now sit there telling the greatest tennis players of all time where they are going wrong and how they are 'half a yard too far behind the line' or similar b*llocks.

We then get a history of statistics comparing 2nd serve success percentages with players of a generation ago - who cares, who gives a monkey's?

Another reason why I hate SKY.

At least with the football they have pundits like Gary Neville who have talked the talk and walked the walk.
  • purdis said:

SKY tennis commentators.

Mostly 2nd or 3rd tier players in their day who have, since their retirement, been Coach tutored to the Nth degree and now sit there telling the greatest tennis players of all time where they are going wrong and how they are 'half a yard too far behind the line' or similar b*llocks.

We then get a history of statistics comparing 2nd serve success percentages with players of a generation ago - who cares, who gives a monkey's?

At least with the football they have pundits like Gary Neville who have talked the talk and walked the walk.

Andrew Castle being the worst
  • Everyone turning their Facebook into the French colour and assuming some kind of moral and sensitive superiority for doing so, when in reality, despite the good intentions of some, they are merely following the latest trend and most will go back to not giving a monkeys about what happened and the underlying causes going forward.

I'm probably alone with this one.

I just thought I was showing support for the victims of a tragedy Craig?

Thanks for putting me straight on my reasons mate...
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

I realise it is difficult to strike an appropriate balance between factual reporting showing due respect for the victims and sensationalism and voyeurism but in my opinion the media invariably lean towards the latter which only benefits the terrorists and their evil acts and aims.

On the one hand we are told not to let terrorism change our lives so why does the media cancel programmes to give yet more oxygen of publicity to ISIS /ISIL or whatever it is called?

In addition to this, why do the media insist on referring to them as "so called" Islamic state?!
  • Everyone turning their Facebook into the French colour and assuming some kind of moral and sensitive superiority for doing so, when in reality, despite the good intentions of some, they are merely following the latest trend and most will go back to not giving a monkeys about what happened and the underlying causes going forward.

I'm probably alone with this one.

I just thought I was showing support for the victims of a tragedy Craig?

Thanks for putting me straight on my reasons mate...
    I know you and your views Perry so you'd be in the 'despite the good intentions of some' caveat. Unfortunately I also know what a lot of others are like and after already being asked why I have not done it in some patronising way, suggesting that I don't care as much and hearing various people state "cos everyone else is doing it" as there reason, It just gets to me that that meaningless act, in a lot of people's minds, somehow measures your feelings in relation to the horrific events that occurred, when in reality their knowledge and willingness to understand world issues that this involves are non-existent outside the world of following a trend on facebook.

It shouldn't but it does annoy me mate.
  • Well, I've changed it back now, as you upset me so much, you brute... :wink:
  • Its the same on all sports, the ex players never missed a goal, failed to save a shot, dropped a catch, played a bad shot etc etc.

And things were also better when they played the game.
  • andyg90 said:

LenGlover said:

In addition to this, why do the media insist on referring to them as "so called" Islamic state?!
    BBC Radio 5Live cancelled all their programmes on Saturday, very much an over the top move. It was a major world news story and of course needed reporting but you do not need to spend 24 hours repeating the same reports, interviews and statistics. I also find the whole of our media's obsession with the Brit count on any major disaster distasteful, I think NTNON did a sketch on this many years ago.
  • purdis said:

SKY tennis commentators.

Love it as well you get the likes of Rio Ferdinand / Paul Scholes coming out saying that our current crop of players arent good enough and that they wont ever win anything with England... Of course these two won it all whilst playing for England didnt they
    Keith Huewen, ex Motorcycle GP rider in the Sheene era, has a great expression, 'the older I get the faster I was'
  • purdis said:

SKY tennis commentators.

Love it as well you get the likes of Rio Ferdinand / Paul Scholes coming out saying that our current crop of players arent good enough and that they wont ever win anything with England... Of course these two won it all whilst playing for England didnt they
    At least SKY tend to use football pundits who comment on games from their own level when they were players.

Paul Scholes also arguably the greatest midfielder/playmaker of his generation - unlike Mark Petchey and Andrew Castle who each peaked at No.80 at their prime - still very good level, of course but a country mile away from the top players of today on whom they commentate.

• purdis said:

purdis said:

SKY tennis commentators.

At least SKY tend to use football pundits who comment on games from their own level when they were players.

Paul Scholes also arguably the greatest midfielder/playmaker of his generation - unlike Mark Petchey and Andrew Castle who each peaked at No.80 at their prime - still very good level, of course but a country mile away from the top players of today on whom they commentate.

I've got no issues with them giving their opinions its when they say that the current crop of England players arent good enough to win anything that I've got the issue with, its like @iaitch says, the way any Footballing commentator talks you'd think they never misplaced a pass, dropped the ball etc..
  • Threads getting closed.
    grrrrrr
  • Sponsored links:

• andyg90 said:

LenGlover said:

Because they are a self proclaimed state who are not recognised by the rest of the world. By using the words so called the press avoid giving them any legitimacy
  • The fact that this thread has nearly 8000 posts, containing priceless information about my fellow posters which I shall never read
  • The view held by many modern sportsmen that anyone who didn't play at the same level or win as many trophies as they did are not allowed to criticise them, eg Kevin Peitersen, John Terry, Alan Hansen.
  • Riviera said:

The view held by many modern sportsmen that anyone who didn't play at the same level or win as many trophies as they did are not allowed to criticise them, eg Kevin Peitersen, John Terry, Alan Hansen.

To be fair to John Terry (never thought I'd say that).... Robbie Savage does exactly the same thing himself.
  • IA said:

Riviera said:

The view held by many modern sportsmen that anyone who didn't play at the same level or win as many trophies as they did are not allowed to criticise them, eg Kevin Peitersen, John Terry, Alan Hansen.

To be fair to John Terry (never thought I'd say that).... Robbie Savage does exactly the same thing himself.
    Ok just add Robbie Savage to the list, no need at all to be fair to John Terry, ever.
  • Riviera said:

It's not the criticism that is the problem - we all do that at all levels - it's the dull and boring 'Coaching while commentating' you get from Petchey, Castle & co with tennis matches that does me in.

'His rackets too flat', 'He's too sideways on with his stance' etc - just let Joe Public like us enjoy the bloody game and stop boring us by talking over it with text book, technical tosh.

• Cats. Managed to get talked into getting 2 of the feckers. Working from home today and was planning to cook a nice roast dinner for the family. They brought a mouse in and I spent all afternoon trying to catch it. All the appliances had to come out along with the plinths. Managed to get it after 3 hours of trying. I didn't have the heart to kill it, stunned it and put it done the garden, where I'm sure the cats caught it anyway. Went to put everything back and the dishwasher inlet hose split and I managed to shatter the glass front door to the oven.

Upside is we got a takeaway Indian on the way back from B&Q for a new hose, downside probably looking at £200 for a new door.

Oh, and my daughter managed to spill Ribena all over the popadums at the table.

Just you wait till they start scratching your door at night... You'll love them then as they'll become the roast dinner!!
  • Cats. Managed to get talked into getting 2 of the feckers. Working from home today and was planning to cook a nice roast dinner for the family. They brought a mouse in and I spent all afternoon trying to catch it. All the appliances had to come out along with the plinths. Managed to get it after 3 hours of trying. I didn't have the heart to kill it, stunned it and put it done the garden, where I'm sure the cats caught it anyway. Went to put everything back and the dishwasher inlet hose split and I managed to shatter the glass front door to the oven.

Upside is we got a takeaway Indian on the way back from B&Q for a new hose, downside probably looking at £200 for a new door.

Oh, and my daughter managed to spill Ribena all over the popadums at the table.

Just you wait till they start scratching your door at night... You'll love them then as they'll become the roast dinner!!
    No chance mate, we keep the poxy things in the kitchen.
  • rina said:

andyg90 said:

LenGlover said:

Because they are a self proclaimed state who are not recognised by the rest of the world. By using the words so called the press avoid giving them any legitimacy
    To an extent, but also, because that's not what they call themselves, that's what we in the west call them. I would say Palestine is not referred to as "the so called country" even though the west does not recognize it as a country.

This is not meant as a political commentary, just a statement on etymology and current recognitions/lack thereof of certain countries.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!