Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• People who sit down in pubs
  • When you are having a quiet coffee at the NT on the South Bank and two obviously well educated American students sit down at the next table and proceed to chat non-stop about films and plays for about 40 minutes using 'uptalk'. Every single fucking sentence ends with an inflection. And every other sentence ends with the word 'Like'.

They left about 10 mins ago but I am still disturbed by it. How much did their parents pay to put them through school and university?
  • People who sit down in pubs

Top call. Sadly the downfall of a team lunch which involves females.

Standing at the bar is all part of the pub experience. Legs start to ache 3-4 pints in I can allow a stall to perched on, but there is nothing more sinking than walking in a boozer and finding your mates sitting at a table

Depends on how crowded it is though. Are you in an area with a lot of people passing through etc. standing is fine, but not if you're constantly getting cut across
  • I don't like sitting down in pubs. It's too formal, I sit down for dinner. Boozing is standing room only as far as I'm concerned.

Besides how else do you get to bang barmaids if not by propping the bar up?

• I had no idea that standing vs sitting at the pub was a thing. I prefer sitting with friends tbh. When I stand people think they can talk to me
    Carter said:

I don't like sitting down in pubs. It's too formal, I sit down for dinner. Boozing is standing room only as far as I'm concerned.

Besides how else do you get to bang barmaids if not by propping the bar up?

Chloroform
  • If it's 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon at your local and the place is empty feel free to pull up a stool. If it's 5pm on a Friday at a central London bar and there are 20 people crowded around you because you've decided to set up shop next to the till so you can attempt to flirt with the minimum wage staff then you're in everyone's way. You don't eat your takeaway at the counter so why do it at a bar?

I don't really mind standing or sitting, although generally with large groups you take up less space sitting. I'll quite happily prop up the bar if it's quiet too and watch the footie with the barman. There's a time and place though.
  • I don't like busy pubs. When I was at broadgate circle near Liverpool st, they had so many places that were heaving. Couldn't stand it
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2015
    More Richard Branson Propaganda. There's no limit to the machine, it's worst than Joseff Goebbels
  • IAIA
    edited October 2015
  • LMFAO @IA - the elephant one is brilliant
  • cabbles said:

LMFAO @IA - the elephant one is brilliant

Oh. I was hoping to create a meme of FLS stars with inspirational quotes.
  • 10-pin bowling
  • You just need Leroy to complete the set
  • Sponsored links:

• adsads
    edited October 2015
    IA said:

Nice signed poster, is that official fan club member issue or a bootleg?
  • adsads
    edited October 2015
  • ads said:

IA said:

Nice signed poster, is that official fan club member issue or a bootleg?
    Original.

Signed in tippex
  • Stig said:

People who sit down in pubs

Top call. Sadly the downfall of a team lunch which involves females.

Standing at the bar is all part of the pub experience. Legs start to ache 3-4 pints in I can allow a stall to perched on, but there is nothing more sinking than walking in a boozer and finding your mates sitting at a table

Oh no, sorry AFKA but I couldn't disagree more on this one. As one of my generation's most talented amateur drinkers I have to say that those that stand are far more likely to be the ones that spoil the pub experience. In general they fall into one of two categories. First there's the jokey-blokey posers who want to mark their presence at the bar by hogging what they perceive to be the prime spot in the pub; conducting conversations that are no more entertaining than you'd get in a barbers shop or the back of a taxi whilst attempting to impress the barmaid with their 'witty-banter'. Then you get the sad friendless old guys who are counting down the minutes of their miserable existences pushing pennies around the counter in the hope that if they count it enough they'll somehow have enough cash to buy another half of Fosters. Now, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with either of these things except that both of the main species of stander are hopelessly oblivious to the real function of the bar - a place for the kings of the drinking tradition, the sitters, to get their beer.

Perhaps it's time for a campaign for safe standing in pubs. To encourage landlords to reserve a little side area or room, away from the bar, where the standers can rut or mope or whatever they want but where they are out of the way of the decent drinking folk who like to sit down in comfort and purchase a beer without all the thrill of the scrumdown.
    Give yourself a post of the week...
  • edited October 2015
    cabbles said:

More Richard Branson Propaganda. There's no limit to the machine, it's worst than Joseff Goebbels

And here's his reply:

Branson
  • slipping on a drain cover and going arse over tit in the pissing rain at 6 am on the way to the station!
  • The annoying brain-ache you get when you eat an ice cream too quickly.

• Stig said:

cabbles said:

And here's his reply:

Branson
    his actual reply:

Dear Annie

Thank you for your letter, your creativity is inspiring. I enjoy talking to young people about their dreams. Too often children are told that they cannot do this, and they shouldn’t do that – but that just restricts their imagination. Don’t ever let anyone prevent you from dreaming. Imagination is one of our greatest gifts. Without it we would never make the changes that make the world a better place.

I love your designs for your airplane, but more importantly, I love that you took the time to really think things out and get them down on paper. Keep doing this. As you get older you’ll find it will help you achieve your dreams. I’m constantly doodling and writing down my ideas as they come to me. I have carried a notebook with me at all times ever since I was a kid. If I hadn’t documented my ideas, maybe Virgin wouldn’t exist today!

I think it’s great that you are looking at how you can change the airline industry with a new and exciting product. That’s innovation. It’s a big word, I know, but as you get older and enter the working world, you’ll realise just how important it is to innovate. Innovation has been the key to many of humanity's greatest successes.

I also think it’s wonderful that you are looking at an industry that is largely made up by males. If you’re thinking about becoming an engineer or a pilot, then my advice is to go for it. Go out and grab it with both hands. The world needs more female engineers and pilots, and entrepreneurs. If you put your mind to it, you can achieve it – you’ve clearly got drive, which is a necessary quality of all these careers.

And thank you for writing to me. It’s so important in life and in business to ask for feedback. It’s amazing what doors can open if you reach out to people with a smile, friendly attitude and a desire to make a positive impact.

Keep designing and keeping dreaming Annie – who knows, maybe one day you will come to work with us at one of our airlines or even our spaceline.

All the very best to you,

Richard Branson
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!