Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• edited October 2015

MrOneLung said:

Sentence was both.

Oh didn't know that, in which I agree with the original post.

MrOneLung said:

Sentence was both.

well, no one to blame but himself.

as barbaric as it is, I have to agree with Killer Kish's original point.
    People that give in easily.
    You can't really not agree with him. Rules are rules and all that, and he knew the rules.

I thought he hadn't actually been sentenced to any lashes, and so thought it ridiculous, but if he had then he knew what he was getting himself in for, as horrible as it may sound.

Also, to clarify, I in no way agree with the whole lashing thing, its horrendous.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34513096

'It follows concern from the children of Karl Andree that the 74-year-old will receive 360 lashes for the crime.

But BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said Saudi and UK officials had assured him "there was never any question" of Mr Andree being flogged.

Delays in Saudi bureaucracy meant his release papers were held up, he said.
    O
    ur correspondent said Saudi officials had given private assurances to the UK Foreign Office.'

'Mr Andree's one-year prison sentence is now complete and Mrs Piroth said her family had been "led to believe" the lashes would not be given due to her father's age and health.
    But she said there now "seems to be some question mark" over that.'

Like i said, he's a donut for breaking the law, especially in a county like that, but his family are well within their right to challenge the punishment, as the lashes may kill him (he isn't up for the death penalty remember). If your 90 year old nan with arthritis was arrested for dangerous driving and was made to sweep the streets as community service, would you not challenge that?
  • Greenie said:

English people who break the law in a foreign country and then they or there family whinge about the sentence and try and get our government involved to try and stop the punishment.You know the laws and sentences and if you live or visit another country respect there laws or suffer the punishment just like the muppet who should receive his 350 lashes for breaking the alcohol law in Saudi Arabia but won't once Cameron gets involved!

As ValleyGary says above, that's not really the point in this case. The blokes already served 14 months of a 12 month sentence....
    But it is indeed the point, dont break the law in a barbaric country........
    He's got a screw loose spending all that time in a backwards country anyway, but the original post said 'his family shouldnt whinge'. If it was my old man, then id be doing everything possible to stop him getting a punishment, that could ultimately kill him.

Thats the point, he's 75, got cancer throughout his body and 350 lashes is almost a death sentence (which wasn't the punishment).

Its like giving a 90 year old community service for breaking the law in this country, they just wouldn't be made to do it.
    If he was in the UK and faced a lengthy sentence with is failing health then there would be leniency shown, but he has been out there for years, he knew the regime and the chances he was taking.

Also imagine if Camoron got involved citing the UKs outrage at the sentence. How the hell can he then tell all migrants that come to the UK to respect us and our laws, you cant have it both ways.
    Of course its bloody barbaric and an affront to anybody from the civilised world, we hear the same from family of idiots that get caught trying to smuggle drugs out/into the far east, dont do it boys and girls.
  • Ha how often do you get told in advance that your delivery will be between two times far enough in advance that you are able to get time off work?

No not often, instead I have to pay for Saturday delivery.

I live in a flat and there is a delivery button that gets delivery drivers in, we then have a notice by the post boxes that says where deliveries can be left for each of the 3 flats... yet they leave a card in that position that we've stated... but no package!

The Hermes guy is the worst.
  • I do agree the sentence is barbaric but he new the law so suffer the sentence and punishment
  • I do agree the sentence is barbaric but he new the law so suffer the sentence and punishment

I do agree with that, but also agree with what ValleyGary is saying. If it were your father there is no way you'd just sit there and take it.

Also, if it genuinely might kill him then that's a whole different argument. He was sentenced to 350 lashes, not death by 350 lashes.

I do agree with that, but also agree with what ValleyGary is saying. If it were your father there is no way you'd just sit there and take it.

Also, if it genuinely might kill him then that's a whole different argument. He was sentenced to 350 lashes, not death by 350 lashes.
    The Saudi's wont give a shit if he pegged out. This is a regime that still endorse beheadings.

I presume the same applies to the 17 year old boy who is due to be beheaded and then his body crucified for insulting the Saudi government or something equally trivial?

I don't completely disagree with you - if you knowingly break the law in a foreign country and end up getting banged up for it then that's probably fair enough. The stuff the Saudis do is wrong though, whatever the crime, in this day and age.
  • You could say sending a 75 year old to a Saudi prison might have been a death sentence but no reason to not put him there.

Why do these expats put themselves in these positions when in these countries?

Got no sympathy.

It also annoys me when they get released to serve their sentence back home like those Irish girls who got done for drug smuggling in South america.
  • cabbles said:

PL54 said:

Richard Branson getting behind the Pro Europe campaign.

He's a tax exile FFS.

You want to get on some of the stuff his PR dpt pump out on his behalf on LinkedIn. Recently Richard published a post saying that one of the keys to his success was being on time. It's now got to the point where if he speaks, regardless of what's coming out of his mouth, someone publishes it as a business lesson.

"What would you like to eat for breakfast Richard?"

"Kippers"

From that point on kippers will be known as the food of entrepreneurs
    I have seen that stuff and did once comment about tax avoidance under one of his comments.....

He's a total bell in my mind.
  • Should take it like an Englishman, look em in the eye. spit the leather strap out and not flinch.
  • Sponsored links:

• African Elephants are cooler, let's be honest.

they tend to go for e-mail scams though where as your Indian elephant gravitates towards call centres ...not that i am into pachyderm stereotyping
  • People who piss all over the toilet seat rather than going to the tiny effort of lifting it up.

Inconsiderate wankers.

You're not big or clever - if you were you'd be pissing at the urinal like normal people.
  • People who piss all over the toilet seat rather than going to the tiny effort of lifting it up.

Inconsiderate wankers.

You're not big or clever - if you were you'd be pissing at the urinal like normal people.

never understood why people go into a cubical for a piss when there are plenty of urinals.

Inconsiderate wankers.

never understood why people go into a cubical for a piss when there are plenty of urinals.

Phobia re peeing in public?

Inconsiderate wankers.

I think you'll find they're inconsiderate pissers.
  • LenGlover said:

People who piss all over the toilet seat rather than going to the tiny effort of lifting it up.

Inconsiderate wankers.

stay at home or get a piss bag fitted then, fucking weirdo's
  • LenGlover said:

People who piss all over the toilet seat rather than going to the tiny effort of lifting it up.

Inconsiderate wankers.

Great to see such a tolerant attitude towards those with physical or mental disabilities....
  • LenGlover said:

Inconsiderate wankers.

Or sit down when you pee
  • it was a joke to be fair mate
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

I do agree the sentence is barbaric but he new the law so suffer the sentence and punishment

I presume the same applies to the 17 year old boy who is due to be beheaded and then his body crucified for insulting the Saudi government or something equally trivial?

I don't completely disagree with you - if you knowingly break the law in a foreign country and end up getting banged up for it then that's probably fair enough. The stuff the Saudis do is wrong though, whatever the crime, in this day and age.
    The more and more I hear and read about the middle earth, the more I can't stand it, or would ever want to visit. I appreciate you shouldn't generalise and I am sure other places are better than others, but not an area I have any desire to visit anytime soon. I know it's not Saudi but close in cultural terms (I would imagine??) @lordromford could probably chip in with a few good insights, I think he's out in Dubai?
  • I rarely use the urinal because I like to have some privacy when I do my business... (Either sitting or standing).
  • RedPanda said:

This isn’t directed at you particularly Cabbles, more a heads up for anyone thinking of visiting Thailand. Elephant ‘trekking’ is purely an exercise in animal exploitation, cruelty and money making.

http://kimpluscraig.com/2014/01/10/phajaan-breaking-the-spirit/
    http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/watch-documentary-uncovers-shocking-secrets-of-thailands-elephant-tourism/
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/1/against-elephant-abuse-in-thailand/

The treatment of animals in Thailand (tiger temples, monkey shows, gibbons and lorises as photo props, they even had orangutan boxing until recently) is something that really, really annoys me.

Hi Red. When we did the elephant trek we were told, and it looked like for all purposes an elephant sanctuary. Well they were looked after and fed (bloody hell did they get through a lot of bananas). It looked like the people running it really cared for them. But then there was one really old elephant just standing there that looked really old and had sad eyes I thought. You've shown ,e some really good links though, good to raise awareness.

I was dead against Sea World on a recent trip to Florida. Read that on average in the wild Killer Whales swim 100 miles and more a day. In Sea World they are confined to a space proportional to us living in a lift all our lives. Disgusting. They try and gnaw at the wiring and cages which leads to tooth decay and their dorsal fins are often weakened/damaged in the confined space. Can't stand it as you rightly pointed out
  • cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

I do agree the sentence is barbaric but he new the law so suffer the sentence and punishment

The more and more I hear and read about the middle earth, the more I can't stand it, or would ever want to visit. I appreciate you shouldn't generalise and I am sure other places are better than others, but not an area I have any desire to visit anytime soon. I know it's not Saudi but close in cultural terms (I would imagine??) @lordromford could probably chip in with a few good insights, I think he's out in Dubai?
    I couldn't read the books. The films were too long.
  • cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

The more and more I hear and read about the middle earth, the more I can't stand it, or would ever want to visit. I appreciate you shouldn't generalise and I am sure other places are better than others, but not an area I have any desire to visit anytime soon.
    I dunno, it's very pretty and quite nice since they defeated the forces of Sauron.
  • haha - I'm quoting Bruno. The best way to refer to that part of the world.....

• People who are selfish over things they don't use/need - our car park spaces work often full by the time I get in (late shift), the company next to ours has far more than they need to the point that their staff have the middle space of three and nothing either side of them every day.

I often use one of their unused spaces, and the fuss they've started kicking up about myself and a couple of others parking in what would otherwise be completely unused spaces is ridiculous.

It's the equivalent of a three year old not letting anyone else play with a toy he doesn't even like anymore just because it's his toy.

That reminds me of when I came home early to find a neighbours visitor parked on our drive, I simply blocked him in and went back out on foot. Returning a couple hours later to find him waiting neither of us spoke and I moved my car. It never happened again ;)
  • Film crews who for some bizarre reason are allowed to close roads and shut loads of parking bays, as they did in Blackheath Village today, causing utter chaos. Why is it that these jumped up luvvies are allowed to do this? One security bloke tried to stop me driving down a road that had nothing in it except for about 50 parking bays that were sealed off, what is this all about?
  • cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

Disregarding the 'middle earth' slip, (as @IA and @North Lower Neil have both already adequately done you over for that... :smiley: ), you're right that I'm in Dubai and it's interesting that we generally do temper our behaviour a bit.
    The UAE is quite different from Saudi though - far more tolerant and alcohol isn't illegal - but you have to have a licence for it if you're a resident.

As it happens, at school today with my Year 10 tutor group, we discussed this issue. The reaction from the kids ranged from 'it's a bit harsh' to 'he knew what the law was, so it's his own fault'. Interestingly, none of them thought his age was a major issue. Funny how kids don't think of that eh?
    My view is that you don't piss about with the law in a country whose legal system is so different to what you are used to. It just isn't worth it. I wouldn't dream of skinning up out here, even if I was into that.
    I can't help but think if this guy needed booze so desperately, Saudi seems a strange choice of country in which to reside. I do sympathise though, because people make mistakes. I think they should've just deported the silly old sod, but it doesn't work like that over there. If you wilfully go against what the powers that be say is right, they will fuck you up.
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Inconsiderate wankers.

I'm going to be offended on behalf of those that I think should be offended... This'll get loads of support right?

What if I play it out all sarcastic like?

Great to see such a tolerant attitude towards those with physical or mental disabilities....
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!