Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Now I use and like Apple products, but that is sad. Especially the Starbucks thing (well most coffee shops actually). What kind of world do we live in? They were probably taken selfies too. Sheep, not just them though, the majority of the rest of the planet also, chasing consumer goods, likes on Facebook, craving attention, popularity and a celebrity-like lifestyle.

It's just good marketing on behalf of Starbucks. There's bound to be considerable crossover between Apple customers and Starbucks customers, so spreading a bit of goodwill amongst the former group isn't going to do their business any harm at all. @ValleyGary said about giving free coffee to those that can't afford it, but here's the rub: if you can't afford it now you're not likely to be much of a customer in the future. It's tough, but that's capitalism for you.
  • Stig said:

Now I use and like Apple products, but that is sad. Especially the Starbucks thing (well most coffee shops actually). What kind of world do we live in? They were probably taken selfies too. Sheep, not just them though, the majority of the rest of the planet also, chasing consumer goods, likes on Facebook, craving attention, popularity and a celebrity-like lifestyle.

It's just good marketing on behalf of Starbucks. There's bound to be considerable crossover between Apple customers and Starbucks customers, so spreading a bit of goodwill amongst the former group isn't going to do their business any harm at all. @ValleyGary said about giving free coffee to those that can't afford it, but here's the rub: if you can't afford it now you're not likely to be much of a customer in the future. It's tough, but that's capitalism for you.
    All true, all deeply unpleasant, particularly considering both of these organisations have such a relaxed attitude to paying tax in this country.
  • MrLargo said:

Stig said:

Now I use and like Apple products, but that is sad. Especially the Starbucks thing (well most coffee shops actually). What kind of world do we live in? They were probably taken selfies too. Sheep, not just them though, the majority of the rest of the planet also, chasing consumer goods, likes on Facebook, craving attention, popularity and a celebrity-like lifestyle.

All true, all deeply unpleasant, particularly considering both of these organisations have such a relaxed attitude to paying tax in this country.
    Relaxed ???
  • Careful, you'll upset the "righties"... :wink:
  • IA said:

MrLargo said:

Stig said:

Relaxed ???
    Poor choice of word. I meant they don't bother paying tax here.
  • MrLargo said:

IA said:

MrLargo said:

Stig said:

Relaxed ???
    Poor choice of word. I meant they don't bother paying tax here.
    Spend a lot of time and money making sure they don't, allegedly.
  • "Aw, snap"
  • People who refuse to buy newspapers but try to read them for free anyway. Surely if you want to read it just buy the damn thing?

This morning while I was having my hair cut I left my paper on the chair I had been sitting on whilst waiting my turn only for somebody else to then pick it up and have a read themselves. Ok, so long as the paper is still on my chair when i'm finished then it's no problem I thought and that's how it turned out. But I just wonder what her reaction would have been had I decided to openly rifle through her handbag while she was in the chair?

Fair enough to those who don't buy newspapers and don't attempt to read them but it's those who don't but try to get a free read anyway.
  • Stig said:

But barbers often leave papers out for people that are waiting. If I saw a paper left on on a barbers chair I'd presume it belonged to the shop and was available to all. If you don't want people rifling through your handbag, don't leave it open in public ;-)

Indeed they do but the one I went to doesn't leave any out and even if so, would you still take one from another customer's chair? Perhaps slip on there jacket too if you were feeling the cold? ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• I wouldn't know that they didn't leave papers out though, because my immediate assumption would be that someone was too lazy to put the paper back rather than that someone had brought their own. What sort of cheapskate barbers are you going to?
  • Stig said:

I wouldn't know that they didn't leave papers out though, because my immediate assumption would be that someone was too lazy to put the paper back rather than that someone had brought their own. What sort of cheapskate barbers are you going to?

Fair point they are cheap the one I go to. I know full well people make those assumptions. I didn't begrudge her having a free read of it but just wondering if she'd still read it anyway if she knew it wasn't the barbers own copy.
  • Stig said:

But barbers often leave papers out for people that are waiting. If I saw a paper left on on a barbers chair I'd presume it belonged to the shop and was available to all. If you don't want people rifling through your handbag, don't leave it open in public ;-)

Indeed they do but the one I went to doesn't leave any out and even if so, would you still take one from another customer's chair? Perhaps slip on there jacket too if you were feeling the cold? ;-)
    So you took your own chair to the barbers ?

Ok, I'm joking, but you're plainly misguided here. If you leave a newspaper on a public chair in a barbers, dentist, doctor etc, of course someone else will pick it up and read it, if they so choose. I should imagine virtually everyone would, if they wanted to read it.

If you don't want someone to read it and insist in leaving it, lying around as an open invitation, then you'd better attach an expalanatory note.

Alternatively, do what anyone else would do and keep it on your lap :smile:
  • that's totally irrational. newspapers left on chairs are 100% fair game
  • When you go to a McDonalds five minutes after they open in a country where they don't do proper breakfast, and ask for a cheese and ham croissant, and get told they have run out of ham. (Actually I laughed - the missus was the annoyed one for a change...).
  • The worst thing, and I mean the worst thing is...

When people fill up their car with petrol, leave their car next to the pump and do their shopping. People who do that are worse than Hitler. No joke.
  • The worst thing, and I mean the worst thing is...

When people fill up their car with petrol, leave their car next to the pump and do their shopping. People who do that are worse than Hitler. No joke.

Agree. Someone did that to me at the petrol station at the Clifton's roundabout, last year. I was absolutely astounded and fuming that anyone could be that selfish.

I'll never go in there again for petrol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wearing white shorts to a spin class, getting there just before it starts so the only available bike was at the front and accidentally sharting 10 minutes from the end. Waddled clenched cheeked to the toilet for a check up at the end and was relieved to find out it was just a build up of excessive arse crack sweat.

Glad you could share this with us DM. Several lessons to be learnt eh?
  • Boris Johnson’s ego.

Boris and the Olympics, Boris bikes, Boris buses, Boris airport - but no Tour de France for London. Why’s that? Because Boris won’t be Mayor then and won’t be able to bask in the glory.
  • Wearing white shorts to a spin class, getting there just before it starts so the only available bike was at the front and accidentally sharting 10 minutes from the end. Waddled clenched cheeked to the toilet for a check up at the end and was relieved to find out it was just a build up of excessive arse crack sweat.

Pictures please.....
  • Boris Johnson’s ego.

Boris and the Olympics, Boris bikes, Boris buses, Boris airport - but no Tour de France for London. Why’s that? Because Boris won’t be Mayor then and won’t be able to bask in the glory.

That's because in these times of Tory austerity we are not allowed to enjoy ourselves (unless you have money already).

When you cut back on culture, what is left?
  • Boris Johnson’s ego.

That's because in these times of Tory austerity we are not allowed to enjoy ourselves (unless you have money already).

It's called having kids mate. You can't blame that on The Tories, can you ?
  • Boris Johnson’s ego.

Not understanding a word of this post. That really annoys me because it makes me feel stupid.(Unless it really does not make any sense at all?).
  • Boris Johnson’s ego.

Haha, I wasn't really talking about my personal finances, but things for the cultural well-being of the wider population. Whether that be the BBC being hounded by the Government to cut back massively or cuts to local arts funding or the Tour de France being too costly.

Still, with the money saved by that they can pay off the deficit (ain't ever going to happen) or more likely, give tax cuts so we can spend the extra money we get on Murdoch's Sky TV right?
  • Ive said this before but Managers of top 4 clubs that spend all year moaning about how difficult it is to get into the Champions League and then when they do, rest their players (Wenger last night with Cech, he's a keeper ffs) because they have an important game at the weekend. Of course the game at the weekend is a lot more important because finishing in the top 4 gets you into the Champions League the following year.

And repeat.

The way things are going, eventually, Serie A will overtake the Premier League, and the PL will lose the 4th spot. Doesn't look likely that they'll capitalise this year (Roma losing in Belarus last night), but eventually, especially if Juve can go on another run.
  • IA said:

Ive said this before but Managers of top 4 clubs that spend all year moaning about how difficult it is to get into the Champions League and then when they do, rest their players (Wenger last night with Cech, he's a keeper ffs) because they have an important game at the weekend. Of course the game at the weekend is a lot more important because finishing in the top 4 gets you into the Champions League the following year.

And repeat.

The way things are going, eventually, Serie A will overtake the Premier League, and the PL will lose the 4th spot. Doesn't look likely that they'll capitalise this year (Roma losing in Belarus last night), but eventually, especially if Juve can go on another run.
    But I guess with the "new" premier league cash if the "Sky four (and a half)" can become the "Sky three (and a half)" and they can leave one of them behind in the "selling shirts in Indonesia" stakes then that's a bigger cut for them? Money being what the game at the top level is all about now?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!