Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• edited July 2015
    cabbles said:

I have latterly developed an absolute contempt of - co tv hosts.

As they peer into the autoreader, waiting their turn to speak, I find myself becoming more and more agitated. They are like well rehearsed children in the school play, slickly handling one line at a time, as they alternate - typically between male and female, line after line. Why can’t they handle a story on their own?

This morning I witnessed Bill Turnbull and Naga Munchetty playing verbal tennis, scoring points off each other and smugly smiling into the lens as each item comes to a close. There are of course plenty of other ‘win doubles’ on TV.

I realise this is an odd hang-up to have and I doubt if therapy or counselling is available. I am hoping that by writing it down and sharing it with the good people on CL I can begin to start anew and get my life back.

I hadn't thought about this before. It's actually a very good one. Upon reflection they do actually all look very smug. And the thing that gets me in particular, where are their accents? Is it a prerequisite that all of them must come from middle England? Do some of them have a dialect or accent that is beaten out of them upon application
    Have you not seen Steph' "eh-oop lad" McGovern then? Or Huw "yaki-dah" Edwards? Or Lorraine "hoots-mon" Kelly?
  • cabbles said:

I have latterly developed an absolute contempt of - co tv hosts.

As they peer into the autoreader, waiting their turn to speak, I find myself becoming more and more agitated. They are like well rehearsed children in the school play, slickly handling one line at a time, as they alternate - typically between male and female, line after line. Why can’t they handle a story on their own?

This morning I witnessed Bill Turnbull and Naga Munchetty playing verbal tennis, scoring points off each other and smugly smiling into the lens as each item comes to a close. There are of course plenty of other ‘win doubles’ on TV.

I realise this is an odd hang-up to have and I doubt if therapy or counselling is available. I am hoping that by writing it down and sharing it with the good people on CL I can begin to start anew and get my life back.

I thought it was just me.
    Another one that gets me is, they always have to have someone on location, i.e. a bus/tube/train strike, they have to stick someone in front of bus stop or train station and then have some form of conversation between studio and location.
    Also the strangest one for me, when there is a minor flood anywhere. The presenter has to stand with his/her wellies on in a puddle, as if emphasise there really is ankle deep water.

I suppose it all fills airspace.
    News reporting in this country is so contrived. Gesticulating as they walk down a road, trying to sound more outraged, shocked or angry than their opposites on the other channel. Eurostar strike, how angry and appalled can one presenter sound when they go 'it's just not good enough'. The other presenter might say it's 'disgusting, shocking way to treat customers' to try and emphasise their point more.

It's no different in Portugal.
  • People, especially parents calling the summer holidays 'half term'.

No it isn't, it's end of term or end of year in this case. Half term is the week usually in October, February and May which is, incredible to believe half way through the term.

Sitting opposite on the train who is a parent saying 'yes, it's half term at the moment so sending blah blah to summer school in chislehurst'

My only comfort is that this is the sidcup line train that was next to the chislehurst line train at Charing Cross and whilst waffling on with her incorrect information she got on the wrong train!

Will find out when we pull into Lee station!

Fingers crossed!!!!
  • Yikes! Suzi revealed as pedant with sadistic streak :smile: -)

No it isn't, it's end of term or end of year in this case. Half term is the week usually in October, February and May which is, incredible to believe half way through the term.

Sitting opposite on the train who is a parent saying 'yes, it's half term at the moment so sending blah blah to summer school in chislehurst'

My only comfort is that this is the sidcup line train that was next to the chislehurst line train at Charing Cross and whilst waffling on with her incorrect information she got on the wrong train!

Fingers crossed!!!!

Half term no longer exists as there are now six 'terms' so I am told by those who should know although 99.99% of people still refer to half term and end of term.
  • Update - the mum has decided at the end of the episode that she's too busy to commit to broadway. It's her dream after all, but she's too busy with whatever else it is she thinks she does. Disappointing, but we move on
  • I'm just shocked that Clem has a mrs
  • Sponsored links:

• IA said:

I'm just shocked that Clem has a mrs

I was Steve Claridge a few months ago.....I'm certainly not gonna change my picture to George Riley. The BBC football league show is tattooed to my heart. The boys will live on in my soul forever #neverlettinggo

Fingers crossed!!!!

Well Suzi? What happened?
  • "get in the hole" (Golf !)
    Mexican Wave.
    Prince Andrew.
    People who have more than 2 children and expect the state to pay for them.
    Poor people in Britain (how come they have the latest phones and Sky)
    Rich people in Britain( who can afford the best lawyers and Accountants to get around legal tax loopholes)
    Litter Louts.
    Spitting in the street.
    Religious Guys who spread hate not Love.
    Passing like ships in the night( my female Soulmate)
    Perverts like Saville who because they have powerful friends like Thatcher and the Prince of Wales are untouchable while they are alive.
    Football fans who chant that they've had sex with a player's Wife, mother,WAG
    Or Pet dog, yet when that player gives a stray finger in their direction becomes all sensitive and upset.
    charity bosses who earn over 200k a year.
    Charities where only 50% or less go to the causes.
    Knighthoods and honours (not with folk who give up their time to help, they are the Salt of the earth) But Sport stars and Actors and Quid pro quo donators.
    So called bright leaders not learning from history and making the same mistakes.
    Beggers in the street who accept credit cards.
    Folk who pay Beggers in the street with a credit card.

Well there the things that hacked me off last week !
    Now where did i leave those chill pills ?

What that News ? Johann has signed a new 4 year contract and the new season is about to start.

HAPPY DAYS.

• AFKA starting more threads than Newshopper and Paulie.
  • AFKA starting more threads than Newshopper and Paulie.

Put together
  • Albufeira in July and August.
  • cabbles said:

IA said:

I was Steve Claridge a few months ago.....I'm certainly not gonna change my picture to George Riley. The BBC football league show is tattooed to my heart. The boys will live on in my soul forever #neverlettinggo
    Another pic of Clem...

I thought the forum had a certain class about it when you were Manish.
  • IA said:

cabbles said:

IA said:

Another pic of Clem...

I thought the forum had a certain class about it when you were Manish.
    Haha - @Ben18 's fault. He desperately wanted a more prominent picture of clem
  • Sponsored links:

• Rushing to leave work, throwing your desk keys in the food bin, and having to wade through the disgusting bin to find the keys that have managed to worm their way to the bottom
  • Rushing to leave work, throwing your desk keys in the food bin, and having to wade through the disgusting bin to find the keys that have managed to worm their way to the bottom

Just ring the helpdesk and tell them you've lost them.

Fingers crossed!!!!

Well Suzi? What happened?
    Suzi realised that she was on the wrong train because she had been ear wigging and not concentrating
    Haha! I got off at Lee station (on purpose) and she was still there so she must have been on the right train. No justice.
  • edited July 2015
    Mothers that work full time in pretty senior (middle) management jobs that complain that they only get to see their children for 10 seconds before bed time and leave for work before their children wake but work full time and push for promotion whilst expecting others to sympathise with them and cover meetings and projects and workload to allow for sports day, parents evening, assembly, nativity, harvest, Easter bonnet making etc etc.

Kudos to them for trying it but I just can't see how both things are getting 100% of their attention. Can't have it all.

*just to add working mothers who do balance it all are amazing! it's the ones that think those without children or part time mothers should sympathise for them for being over committed to 2 lifestyles that p me off*

Don't want anyone thinking I hate all full time working mothers or hate children!
  • Mothers that work full time in pretty senior (middle) management jobs that complain that they only get to see their children for 10 seconds before bed time and leave for work before their children wake but work full time and push for promotion whilst expecting others to sympathise with them and cover meetings and projects and workload to allow for sports day, parents evening, assembly, nativity, harvest, Easter bonnet making etc etc.

Kudos to them for trying it but I just can't see how both things are getting 100% of their attention. Can't have it all.

*just to add working mothers who do balance it all are amazing! it's the ones that think those without children or part time mothers should sympathise for them for being over committed to 2 lifestyles that p me off*

Don't want anyone thinking I hate all full time working mothers or hate children!

Martyrs at work in general. When they're ill it's all doom and gloom, if you suggest you are ill they just look through you. If they've been working really hard they want to let everyone know, something like I've been awake since 5am got in at 7 doing this proposal, some bollocks like that. If I say I'm tired then it's completely different. Ah work in general is doing my nut at the mo, sod em all, I've got numerous Katrien place jokes to keep me going

Fingers crossed!!!!

Oh Suzi sooooooooooooooooo THIS!!!!!
  • That Elvis died so young.
  • Dropping soap in the shower
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!