Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Songs where they "rhyme" by using the same word at the end of each line.

If you can't find 2-4 words that sound even vaguely similar you have no business even writing your own name, let alone music.
  • The picture of Albert Tatlock on Ken Barlow's sideboard, which looks like he's about to vomit over a birthday cake. Move it please, Ken.
  • Night shifts. One down, six to go. Knackered already.

Nice juicy steak would give you the energy to see it through AUN... :wink:

Is that kind of comment really necessary?!?

:wink:

Lock 'em down, turn off the lights, have a kip and let them get on with it.

That's pretty much what I do but it's so boring. I almost pray one of 'em cuts up just so I have some kind of distraction .
  • until yesterday: Lee Nelson
  • not until yesterday: the Lee Nelson is/isn't funny debate
  • EastStand said:

Songs where they "rhyme" by using the same word at the end of each line.

If you can't find 2-4 words that sound even vaguely similar you have no business even writing your own name, let alone music.

There was a song a few years ago that rhymed "twelve" with "world". That annoyed me.
  • Any song that rhymes baby and crazy makes my teeth itch
  • McBobbin said:

Any song that rhymes baby and crazy makes my teeth itch

Any song that rhymes baby and crocodile hasn't been thought out properly.
  • EastStand said:

Songs where they "rhyme" by using the same word at the end of each line.

When you say vaguely similar @Eaststand … Is it ok to rhyme Chris Solly with ***kin’ qual-it-ee?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, its close enough to scan.

I woulda said a banana gives more energy than a nice juicy steak meself AUN pal
  • ...just bite the end off, it seems to be enough for the tennis players
  • When someone is genuinly irritated, annoyed or pissed off about something and some helmet comes along with the old 'fake outrage' line.

*this is genuine annoyance not fake
  • brogib said:

Night shifts. One down, six to go. Knackered already.

I woulda said a banana gives more energy than a nice juicy steak meself AUN pal

I know you would mate, that's why I think you're awesome :blush:
  • Women!
  • You've never met Mrs AUN Len, she's lovely and not at all annoying (just hope she's trustworthy whilst I'm on nights).......
  • My kids telling me that I absolutely shouldn't take the sticker off of the peak of their stupid baseball caps .
  • When someone is genuinly irritated, annoyed or pissed off about something and some helmet comes along with the old 'fake outrage' line.

*this is genuine annoyance not fake

'Helmet' - quality word!
  • Pallet loads of new Argos catalogues, with staff trying to get you to take one as you walk past. If I want to shop there, I'll go online.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have latterly developed an absolute contempt of - co tv hosts.

This morning I witnessed Bill Turnbull and Naga Munchetty playing verbal tennis, scoring points off each other and smugly smiling into the lens as each item comes to a close. There are of course plenty of other ‘win doubles’ on TV.

Game,set and match to Bill, with this ace.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=liqgFwdjYhQ

As they peer into the autoreader, waiting their turn to speak, I find myself becoming more and more agitated. They are like well rehearsed children in the school play, slickly handling one line at a time, as they alternate - typically between male and female, line after line. Why can’t they handle a story on their own?

This morning I witnessed Bill Turnbull and Naga Munchetty playing verbal tennis, scoring points off each other and smugly smiling into the lens as each item comes to a close. There are of course plenty of other ‘win doubles’ on TV.

I realise this is an odd hang-up to have and I doubt if therapy or counselling is available. I am hoping that by writing it down and sharing it with the good people on CL I can begin to start anew and get my life back.

I hadn't thought about this before. It's actually a very good one. Upon reflection they do actually all look very smug. And the thing that gets me in particular, where are their accents? Is it a prerequisite that all of them must come from middle England? Do some of them have a dialect or accent that is beaten out of them upon application

As they peer into the autoreader, waiting their turn to speak, I find myself becoming more and more agitated. They are like well rehearsed children in the school play, slickly handling one line at a time, as they alternate - typically between male and female, line after line. Why can’t they handle a story on their own?

I realise this is an odd hang-up to have and I doubt if therapy or counselling is available. I am hoping that by writing it down and sharing it with the good people on CL I can begin to start anew and get my life back.

I thought it was just me.
    Another one that gets me is, they always have to have someone on location, i.e. a bus/tube/train strike, they have to stick someone in front of bus stop or train station and then have some form of conversation between studio and location.
    Also the strangest one for me, when there is a minor flood anywhere. The presenter has to stand with his/her wellies on in a puddle, as if emphasise there really is ankle deep water.

I suppose it all fills airspace.
  • cabbles said:

I have latterly developed an absolute contempt of - co tv hosts.

I hadn't thought about this before. It's actually a very good one. Upon reflection they do actually all look very smug. And the thing that gets me in particular, where are their accents? Is it a prerequisite that all of them must come from middle England? Do some of them have a dialect or accent that is beaten out of them upon application
    I believe so. As far as I know, Received Pronunciation is required, though there are "regional versions" of RP
  • IA said:

cabbles said:

I believe so. As far as I know, Received Pronunciation is required, though there are "regional versions" of RP
    Cheers IA, wasn't aware there was a term for it

I thought it was just me.
    Another one that gets me is, they always have to have someone on location, i.e. a bus/tube/train strike, they have to stick someone in front of bus stop or train station and then have some form of conversation between studio and location.
    Also the strangest one for me, when there is a minor flood anywhere. The presenter has to stand with his/her wellies on in a puddle, as if emphasise there really is ankle deep water.

I suppose it all fills airspace.
    News reporting in this country is so contrived. Gesticulating as they walk down a road, trying to sound more outraged, shocked or angry than their opposites on the other channel. Eurostar strike, how angry and appalled can one presenter sound when they go 'it's just not good enough'. The other presenter might say it's 'disgusting, shocking way to treat customers' to try and emphasise their point more.

• edited July 2015

Great shout!
    Although just Bill Turnbull would have done!
    But.....hold on let's not forget the sports presenters on BBC Breakfast, the little runt Mike Bushell and the apalling Sally Nugent, who always looks like someone has just farted and she's just had a whiff of it.
  • cabbles said:

IA said:

cabbles said:

Cheers IA, wasn't aware there was a term for it
    I thought you had to have a scottish accent to get ahead on TV nowadays. It's all I seem to hear.

• IA said:

cabbles said:

Not sure whether it was 'received pronunciation' yesterday when Bill Turnbull dropped the C word live on air. Can't attach as cannot access YouTube at work
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!