Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• From the Gov website

The facts

Speed is one of the main factors in fatal road accidents
    In 2013, 3,064 people were killed or seriously injured in crashes where speed was a factor
    The risk of death is approximately four times higher when a pedestrian is hit at 40mph than at 30mph
    Fatal accidents are four times as likely on rural “A” roads as urban “A” roads

Driving too fast for the conditions is bad driving
    Driving too close to the car in front, undertaking and failing to signal are widely accepted as examples of bad driving. However, some drivers fail to accept that driving too fast is also poor driving despite the fact that this is a contributory factor in hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries every year.

Match Point.

Greenie said:

From the Gov website

The facts

In 2013, 3,064 people were killed or seriously injured in crashes where speed was a factor
    The risk of death is approximately four times higher when a pedestrian is hit at 40mph than at 30mph

Driving too close to the car in front, undertaking and failing to signal are widely accepted as examples of bad driving. However, some drivers fail to accept that driving too fast is also poor driving despite the fact that this is a contributory factor in hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries every year.

From the Government site, the ones that have to justify the camera tax....please!
    Getting in your car is a main 'factor' driving on the road is a main 'factor', being there is a main 'factor'

Bad driving is the main reason people crash
    Leaving aside the fact that the government collect the vast majority of statistics on accident causes and therefore have the most reliable objective data, moving on to your example of why speed is just fine and dandy, Germany is currently (and has been for years) looking to reduce speed limits.
    The relationship between speed and the increase in the number of deaths and injuries has lead to some interesting academic research. Writing about the 'power model' devised by Rune Elvik, from Norway's Institute of Transport Economics, Peter Walker explains what insights it can offer:

Using the most widely accepted statistical model, drawn up by a Norwegian academic using data from 100 studies in more than a dozen countries, an increase in average traffic speeds of just 3mph – a typical change for a 10mph rise – would be expected to cause more than 25 extra deaths a year on motorways and more than 100 serious injuries.

12% of road deaths in Germany are on autobahns. Only 6% of road deaths in the UK are on motorways.
    Game, Set and Match!
  • Greenie said:

From the Gov website

The facts

From the Government site, the ones that have to justify the camera tax....please!
    Getting in your car is a main 'factor' driving on the road is a main 'factor', being there is a main 'factor'

Bad driving is the main reason people crash
    Leaving aside the fact that the government collect the vast majority of statistics on accident causes and therefore have the most reliable objective data, moving on to your example of why speed is just fine and dandy, Germany is currently (and has been for years) looking to reduce speed limits.
    The relationship between speed and the increase in the number of deaths and injuries has lead to some interesting academic research. Writing about the 'power model' devised by Rune Elvik, from Norway's Institute of Transport Economics, Peter Walker explains what insights it can offer:

Using the most widely accepted statistical model, drawn up by a Norwegian academic using data from 100 studies in more than a dozen countries, an increase in average traffic speeds of just 3mph – a typical change for a 10mph rise – would be expected to cause more than 25 extra deaths a year on motorways and more than 100 serious injuries.

12% of road deaths in Germany are on autobahns. Only 6% of road deaths in the UK are on motorways.
    But what caused the deaths speeding in isolation, inapproriate speeding (bad driving) or just bad driving?
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Bad driving causes accidents, speeding does not, speed fines are just a tax collected by the Police tax collectors.

Speeding is bad driving and yes it does cause accidents. My friends daughter was killed in a RTA, it was proved speed played a large part in it. Basically the driver was not in control.
    And if you want to call it a tax thats ok with me but it is one that you volunteer to pay.
    The autobahns in Germany are among the safest road in the world, certain sections do not have speed limits, everyone obeys lane discipline, unlike in the UK.

I worked in Germany and drove on the autobahns a fair bit. Its like comparing apples and oranges. The biggest difference is the mentality of the drivers, they mostly obey the laws and road etiquette, they are different animals to us.
    Also its a bigger country and to me never seem to have the volumes of traffic congestion we do (M25/1/4 car parks).
    I'll have to disagree with the speed bit though, it would be much safer if we never done away with the man with a red flag walking in front of the car.
    **Gives Up**
    Me too. You're right I stand corrected.
  • I'm with you both here

Speed is always going to a factor be it below or above any limits, the same as tyre pressure, braking distance and weather conditions.

My only salvo in regards to speed cameras is where they are placed. There is a couple of accident hotspots I know really well in kent and they don't ever have a copper in a van or a GATSO sited there. But there are loads on roads where people often speed but is probably safer to do so (I'm not defending it before anyone creates) and that is what aggravates me.

A driver can go on a motorway in this country as soon as they pass their test and unless they have made an effort to learn the rules they will probably make it up as they go along. Watch the BBC 3 programme about young drivers and it angers me hugely when they go on motorways and have no idea or confidence in what they are doing. That annoys me because one day they will be swerving into me on my way to a job.

Ignorance/naivety is the problem and the only way to sort it is for the police to have some money put their way to have more officers in cars giving out severe bollockings to bad and unsafe drivers.

I don't need government figures to know this, I see it every single day and one day my luck will run out and a moron on their mobile, a moron undertaking, a moron panicking or a moron just not paying attention will drive into me. And I'd rather the morons were dealt with
  • Just seen the Sky sports advert showing the games they've selected in the new season. After failure in Europe for our clubs this season and continued failure at an international level now for years and years, it's great to see all my overpaid favourite failures back to do what we do best, a glitzy domestic game that offers nothing for the improvement of English football. The money players get is going up again soon which is also important
  • Carter said:

I'm with you both here

Speed is always going to a factor be it below or above any limits, the same as tyre pressure, braking distance and weather conditions.

My only salvo in regards to speed cameras is where they are placed. There is a couple of accident hotspots I know really well in kent and they don't ever have a copper in a van or a GATSO sited there. But there are loads on roads where people often speed but is probably safer to do so (I'm not defending it before anyone creates) and that is what aggravates me.

A driver can go on a motorway in this country as soon as they pass their test and unless they have made an effort to learn the rules they will probably make it up as they go along. Watch the BBC 3 programme about young drivers and it angers me hugely when they go on motorways and have no idea or confidence in what they are doing. That annoys me because one day they will be swerving into me on my way to a job.

Ignorance/naivety is the problem and the only way to sort it is for the police to have some money put their way to have more officers in cars giving out severe bollockings to bad and unsafe drivers.

I don't need government figures to know this, I see it every single day and one day my luck will run out and a moron on their mobile, a moron undertaking, a moron panicking or a moron just not paying attention will drive into me. And I'd rather the morons were dealt with

I went on a Speed Awareness course a few years back and the copper delivering the course said that certain criteria has to be met before a speed camera can be installed. A particular number of accidents in a period of time. And if after the camera is installed and there are no more accidents within two years they have to disable the camera. They can't be put up just as crafty traps.
  • Greenie said

Sorry to hear of the accident.
    However speeding is not bad driving and does not cause accidents, inappropriate speeding does, which equates to bad driving, hence the ruling that the driver was not in control.
    All reports bear testament to the fact that speeding does not cause accidents.
    The autobahns in Germany are among the safest road in the world, certain sections do not have speed limits, everyone obeys lane discipline, unlike in the UK.
    As an ex firefighter I have been to many RTA's (when they were called RTAs) and I cannot remember ever being at one that was caused by speeding, car drivers puling out without looking, drivers driving round traffic island the wrong side, people tailgating and rear ending the car in front, but never speeding being the main factor.
    We are falsely lead to believe that speeding is the problem and Gatso cameras would be the saviour, they are not, they just generate a tax, they cannot see the main cause of accidents and that is bad driving by people who quite frankly do not have a clue.

Spot on Greenie (didn't know you was an ex-firefighter) it is inappropriate speed that is the real danger not the miles/hour per se. Mind you I am currently in Germany and drove down a stretch of unregulated road today, if you are not used to it having cars barreling past you at 14o-150 mph can be a little disconcerting especially for an old buffer like me.
  • The knob who thought it would be a good idea to plant some bamboo in his garden 15 years ago sound in the knowledge I'd buy the house it comes with 10 years later - how strong and determined can a plant be !
  • Trying to walk fast on a slippery floor that your shoes aren't gripping on
  • Sponsored links:

• PL54 said:

The knob who thought it would be a good idea to plant some bamboo in his garden 15 years ago sound in the knowledge I'd buy the house it comes with 10 years later - how strong and determined can a plant be !

That can be a very hard beast to deal with. And the bastard grows inches overnight
  • The train's late, it is overcrowded, no information, and train guards are trying to shove as many passengers on board as possible.

Tube strike day in London? No, just another fucking day on Northern Rail.
  • Being outbid on Ebay for Warren Buffet's settee. :-(
  • Carter said:

PL54 said:

The knob who thought it would be a good idea to plant some bamboo in his garden 15 years ago sound in the knowledge I'd buy the house it comes with 10 years later - how strong and determined can a plant be !

That can be a very hard beast to deal with. And the bastard grows inches overnight
    Operations "Bamboo Removal" has so far cost 2 garden forks and a can of petrol.

C'ouch!
    Guess I'd better cushion myself for impact based on the amount of Sofa jokes that are now going to appear

C'ouch!
    Guess I'd better cushion myself for impact based on the amount of Sofa jokes that are now going to appear
    Oh don't be such a pouffe!
  • MrLargo said:

Being outbid on Ebay for Warren Buffet's settee. :-(

C'ouch!
    Oh don't be such a pouffe!
    Cant help it when I'm lounging around!!
  • This is a discussion that could be chez longue...
  • Oh christ am sofa-cating now under these comments ;)

• Sponsored links:

• I was going to say that this thread would appeal to Man United supporters, but they're more armchair fans.
  • Carter said:

I'm with you both here

I went on a Speed Awareness course a few years back and the copper delivering the course said that certain criteria has to be met before a speed camera can be installed. A particular number of accidents in a period of time. And if after the camera is installed and there are no more accidents within two years they have to disable the camera. They can't be put up just as crafty traps.
    Well, surely, then if the scamera is still there after two years - as almost all are - they are not doing their job as there are still too many accidents at that location? Thus proving they are merely for cash collection.
  • Spiders that live in car door mirror housings and make webs all over the mirror every bloody day.

• Chris Evans

Pound Shops

Phone Shops

Charity Shops

Modern High Streets

Pub Chains

Restaurant Chains

Paper Chains

Americans

ITV

Cats

Foxes

Energy saving lightbulbs

Kevin Pieterson

David Pleat

Stephen K Amos

Awards Ceremonies

Cold Calls

Cold tea

Tescos

MP’s

Adrian Chiles

The Blackwall Tunnel closure programme

The end of summer

^^^
    Are those the lyrics to an REM song?
  • cafcfan said:

Carter said:

I'm with you both here

Well, surely, then if the scamera is still there after two years - as almost all are - they are not doing their job as there are still too many accidents at that location? Thus proving they are merely for cash collection.
    I was only really reiterating what I was told and perhaps it is true that they aren't doing their job, but do we know how many accidents they prevented? It's probably idiotic driving to blame in those circumstances and perhaps another solution should be sought. Maybe I'm being naïve, but I still don't think they're there as a cash revenue. They hardly hide them; they're now painted bright yellow for a start and have a warning sign preceding them to warn the driver. If people didn't break the law in the first place there wouldn't be a fine to pay would there?
  • Carter said:

PL54 said:

That's what she said.
  • hawksmoor said:

Chris Evans

Pound Shops

Phone Shops

Charity Shops

Modern High Streets

Pub Chains

Restaurant Chains

Paper Chains

Americans

ITV

Cats

Foxes

Energy saving lightbulbs

Kevin Pieterson

David Pleat

Stephen K Amos

Awards Ceremonies

Cold Calls

Cold tea

Tescos

MP’s

Adrian Chiles

The Blackwall Tunnel closure programme

The end of summer

^^^
    Are those the lyrics to an REM song?

It's the end of the world as we know it - REM or

We didn't start the fire - Billy Joel. This song generally annoys me.

C'ouch!
    I stood up to discuss this at an away game and told to Sedan by the fans behind me.

• cafcfan said:

Spiders that live in car door mirror housings and make webs all over the mirror every bloody day.

I got one of them too...
  • Wankers in Sri Lanka trying to fraudulently take £250 from my account, meaning I have to block my card just two days before I go off to America. Cnuts.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!