Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LATEST POLL: The MK Dons debate

It has recently emerged that the club are likely to play a friendly at MK Dons this summer as part of the Izale McLeod deal.

Back in 2003, a similar friendly was cancelled following widespread condemnation from Charlton fans. Peter Varney said at the time "Following last Thursday's announcement of plans for the game in Milton Keynes, there has been an overwhelming response from our supporters expressing their concerns.
"We pride ourselves on listening to our fans and in the light of their reaction we have taken the decision not to proceed with this fixture."

Five years on, MK Dons have stabilised and are moving up the league ladder. Meeting in the league or cup is a very real possibility that everyone will have to accept, but is engaging a friendly seen as an active endorsement that could and should be avoided ?

Is it time to move on, let bygones by bygone, or do the fundamental principles against the encouragement of franchaise football clubs remain ?

So a straight forward vote: Should Charlton participate in a friendly with MK Dons ?

Comments

• Options
    Yes as it will be a new ground!
  • Options
    MK Dons like it or not are a football league club. That means that there may be times we have to play them in (God forbid) the league, Carling Cup or FA Cup. I think under those circumstances we would be risking disciplinary action and therefore harm to ourselves if we refused to play which would be detrimental to us.

In the premiership we didn't like the stupid kick off times imposed by Sky but we had to go along with them as there was no real choice.

However friendlies are discretionary and principles are principles. In my opinion accepting a friendly against this team is expressing tacit approval of the franchise concept.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    no, for the reason being they put together a youtube video of izale and tricked pardew into signing him...
    i think charlton fans will go to the first cup game against them and then boycott every future fixture
  • Options
    I am the same Len.

I accept they are here ot stay now, and would attend a league and cup fixture against them.

But no way a friendly. I don't really blame them, i blame the people that allowed them to do it. But no way would i want to be seen to be supporting that, and knowing what happened five years ago, i i'm disappointed with the club for getting involved again so soon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]no for the reason being they put a youtube video of izale and tricked pardew into signing him...
    i think charlton fans will go to the first cup game against them and then boycott every future fixture

I can honestly say I would boycott any fixture against them, home or away, its not right, how any Charlton fan, considering what happened 23 years ago to us can see that this is alright and should be forgotten, move on etc.
    I know a couple of REAL Dons fans, I couldn't look them in the face considering our past with moving grounds and merger talks.
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, AND NO
  • Options
    I would probably boycott a home cup game against them, as they would receive some of the gate money.

I wish that club and it's supporters all the worse, if they go bust I'll celebrate it. We should never ever be involved with them unless we have to.

And why can't we send a Charlton XI to Kingsmeadow for a friendly?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I wish that club and it's supporters all the worse
    I know we've done this before Rothers but you wish the 5-10 year olds that support MK Dons all the worse even though they have no concept of the history etc and have only learnt to love MK Dons, like you once learned to love Charlton?

Seems harsh.
  • Options
    I have nothing against the supports of the club to be honest.
  • Options
    Yep, I support a football club, they support a franchise, and franchise clubs go bust and move, they should deal with it,

And again, I have no time for the people of MK, they've had non league clubs they could have built up like the old Wimbledon, but they didn't, they've instead gone along and jumped on the bangwagon of a club which was stolen from it's community.
  • Options
    Can't bring myself to support franchise football, and as I said in the separate post I hope I would stick to my principles even if it were a cup final that we were both involved in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i dont have anything against their support but the club and the way it came about i do. I would not line the pocket of their slim ball chairman and feel we as a club should not change our stance on our principles.

That club are the scum of football, if AFC are playing that day i will go down there
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]That club are the scum of football, if AFC are playing that day i will go down there
    Thats a good call.
  • Options
    I am one of the few who voted yes. I understand all the reasons for voting no and being dead against having anything to do with the club, that said I don't remember hearing many voices (I am willing to be corrected)when we signed Mcleod from them. I assume MK Dons earned a shitload more from that than they would do from any friendly. The arguments have been made and the battles have been fought, it is time to move on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?page=t-shirts/franchise

Grimsby have it right

By the way, spot the Clive Mendonca and Matt Tees tshirts advertsied for sale!
  • Options
    Not fussed feck all to do with me i didnt make them move but i would like to see their ground and watch the match
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]That club are the scum of football, if AFC are playing that day i will go down there
    Thats a good call.

I believe a Charlton XI maybe playing a game in Essex the same day if people would prefer.
  • Options
    So the MK Dons game is confirmed then Henry?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]So the MK Dons game is confirmed then Henry?

I said maybe
  • Options
    But how do you know the proposed date?! Hmmm....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    Thats a good call.

AFCW will hold on pre season games till after their play off final on Saturday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]But how do you know the proposed date?! Hmmm....

proposed being the key word here.
  • Options
    My days of going to away pre season friendlies are long gone but definitely wouldnt give them any of my cash even if we drew them in the cup.

Get yourself, get yourself, get yourself a proper club...
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]AFCW will hold on pre season games till after their play off final on Saturday

The Staines Massive will kick their arses at Kingstonian's stolen ground.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The Staines Massive will kick their arses at Kingstonian's stolen ground.

Stolen? That'll be the one purchased, and Kingstonian are playing there free
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Stolen? That'll be the one purchased, and Kingstonian are playing there free

good luck to them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The Staines Massive will kick their arses at Kingstonian's stolen ground.

Stolen? That'll be the one purchased, and Kingstonian are playing there free

Took advantage of the K's financial woes and turned Kingstonian into tenants at their own ground. Shame.
  • Options
    or saved Kingstonian from being booted out of their home ground if you wanted to be honest about it, and then didn't charge them rent.
  • Options
    This is about MK Dons.

Guys.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]or saved Kingstonian from being booted out of their home ground if you wanted to be honest about it, and then didn't charge them rent.

You sound like a Palace fan telling us how they saved us. Not the way K's fans see it.