Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Portsmouth 9/12/2017 post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017

Think there are a few overreactions on here about the performance.

Yes the result was not what we needed yes we really wanted something to cheer about today. However, I don't think the performance was that bad. The boys all worked hard. Things didn't always come off for them but we dominated that game for large periods. Yes we allowed them in on a few occasions and yes they had periods in control but on the whole we dealt with them well.

The lino game a fk to us but the ref overruled and gave it to them despite being further away and with a blocked view.

The difference was their sub at half time. He played in the pockets between players and scared us whenever he made a run.

Magennis worked hard and didn't stop running. Unfortunately their defenders had decided after the goal to go down every time he won a header and the ref bought it. Holmes kept trying even though nothing came off for him.

With the caveat of we have players missing and players like Clarke on the way back from injury. I thought the performance was decent. There was fight and commitment from all.
    But things just didn't fall for us leading to frustrations boiling over a few times.

Fans were excellent. Best atmosphere since one of the last large scale protest games. Nice to have a bit of a crowd walking back to the station. Ground felt a lot more full than it looks in photos I've seen.

Been like this for a while though.

It's one thing working hard but when KR insists on playing the exact same way even though it hasn't worked for the previous few weeks it's not gona work.
    Yeah. Fair enough. I havent been since the Donny game. Did feel a bit predictable and one dimensional. Final ball was poor and didn't get some of the decisions from Robbo. Subs needed more time to have an impact. Why not go two up top a little earlier.
  • Options
    Okay rather than piecemeal comments I thought I'd put it all together

- Referee didnt have a poor game yet like everyone else is a poor standard... God knows where he got 3mins from
    - Players have proven that they cant raise to the occasion - MK Dons (Palmer) | Wigan (Big Game) | Portsmouth (25-years)
    - Mark Marshall is a bit meh for me at the moment
    - Players are too eager to do it all themselves; going for the glory goals rather than working together

There is also an attitude of watching where the ball goes rather than trying to anticipate where it might end up; Magennis wins a good few flicks on's yet they dont end up with Holmes and Marshall running on to them because they've stayed back either expecting the ball to come to them or because they dont think he'll win the header - In addition it was the same with the Holmes chance just after it went 1-0, maybe he should have shot instead of passing yet again why didnt he bust a gut to try and get on the end of the ball just in case Holmes didnt shot, just in case he missed or just in case of a deflection!!
  • Options

Yes the result was not what we needed yes we really wanted something to cheer about today. However, I don't think the performance was that bad. The boys all worked hard. Things didn't always come off for them but we dominated that game for large periods. Yes we allowed them in on a few occasions and yes they had periods in control but on the whole we dealt with them well.

The lino game a fk to us but the ref overruled and gave it to them despite being further away and with a blocked view.

The difference was their sub at half time. He played in the pockets between players and scared us whenever he made a run.

Magennis worked hard and didn't stop running. Unfortunately their defenders had decided after the goal to go down every time he won a header and the ref bought it. Holmes kept trying even though nothing came off for him.

With the caveat of we have players missing and players like Clarke on the way back from injury. I thought the performance was decent. There was fight and commitment from all.
    But things just didn't fall for us leading to frustrations boiling over a few times.

Fans were excellent. Best atmosphere since one of the last large scale protest games. Nice to have a bit of a crowd walking back to the station. Ground felt a lot more full than it looks in photos I've seen.

It's one thing working hard but when KR insists on playing the exact same way even though it hasn't worked for the previous few weeks it's not gona work.
    Yeah. Fair enough. I havent been since the Donny game. Did feel a bit predictable and one dimensional. Final ball was poor and didn't get some of the decisions from Robbo. Subs needed more time to have an impact. Why not go two up top a little earlier.
    Yeah I've no idea. Thought Best should've come on when KAG did.

Need to have a different tactic ready to go. Must be so easy for other managers to plan how to play against us.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Hats off to the Pompy fans throwing glass bottles and coins across the platform when there were only about 12 Charlton fans left on the Kent bound platform. Glass bottle smashed about a foot away from a disabled man and coins only just missed some kids.

Classy.

Also well done to the old bill for just letting it carry on whilst concentrating 15 police officers on the 3 Charlton fans between 16-50 on the Kent bound platform. Definitely was important to film them rather than those throwing stuff.

Fucking shambles.

Scum mate. Every Pompey fan I encountered today seemed to be a prick
    Yep agree with this. As the match went on, you could tell their fucking backwater of a Jeremy Kyle cast of 3000 weren’t like a proper away following you get from like a Sheff Utd or a Newcastle etc

They’re like a shit version of milllllll

Walking up Floyd road as we joined them you could tell they were looking for some poor man’s version of football factory

It’s actually a shithole of a place as well. My best mate went to uni there and it’s very pikey
    Live in Southampton so feel the "hatred" for there fans...the area itself is indeed a shithole and the only good thing in pompey is gunwharf!
  • Options

Yeah I've no idea. Thought Best should've come on when KAG did.

Need to have a different tactic ready to go. Must be so easy for other managers to plan how to play against us.
    I thought KAG should have come on sooner or started - Robinson has been talking about Karlan lacking confidence yet not utilising him when we're 1-0 down for 20mins surely sends its own demoralising message to the player... Especially after he's just scored three in three... to be honest though I didnt feel as though he made as much of an impact as he has of late but then we cant expect it every single game

Thats why its a team game so players can step up when others cant
  • Options
    Enjoyed the match & thought from a neutral's perspective it was a good game.

Did either side really deserve to win it? Probably not but I thought it was a decent quality game for League One.

Magennis didn't have a great game but thought Aribo did well. Be good to have Bauer and Pearce back at CB.

• Options
    Did anyone film us booing Meire at half time?
  • Options
    Poor again really. Lot of possession but Portsmouth always looked more dangerous. Defensively we're pretty rubbish
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Hats off to the Pompy fans throwing glass bottles and coins across the platform when there were only about 12 Charlton fans left on the Kent bound platform. Glass bottle smashed about a foot away from a disabled man and coins only just missed some kids.

Classy.

Also well done to the old bill for just letting it carry on whilst concentrating 15 police officers on the 3 Charlton fans between 16-50 on the Kent bound platform. Definitely was important to film them rather than those throwing stuff.

Fucking shambles.

Scum mate. Every Pompey fan I encountered today seemed to be a prick
    Yep agree with this. As the match went on, you could tell their fucking backwater of a Jeremy Kyle cast of 3000 weren’t like a proper away following you get from like a Sheff Utd or a Newcastle etc

They’re like a shit version of milllllll

Walking up Floyd road as we joined them you could tell they were looking for some poor man’s version of football factory

It’s actually a shithole of a place as well. My best mate went to uni there and it’s very pikey
    So, you can call it a 'shithole' because your mate went to Uni there?

I lived and worked there for 6 years, and i can disagree with you with that load of bollox.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

sammy391 said:

What happened with Meire on the pitch... was she booed?

Apparently the whole ground shouted meire ...... cunt & this went on for 10 minutes, it was awful for her but she just had to put up with it. I'm sure that's correct isn't it pinnochio ?
    You forgot to add the chant of: Women have no business in Football... awful, awful for poor Katie!!
  • Options
    Great day for the celebrations and history.
    Poor day for the regime's team ... hey ho.
  • Options
    Disappointing performance, I was very impressed with Pompey, a typically well coached Kenny Jackett side, and of course being ex Millwall he knows how to beat us

Defensively we weren't brilliant, but the main problem was up front where Josh was completely ineffective and looked more likely to get himself sent off than actually score. I would have left Marshall on and instead played KAG and/or Best down the middle, their centre backs had Josh under complete control

Their penalty looked very soft, but a great save from Amos who was probably (by default) our MOM
  • Options
    My sixth game of the season and the best I have seen us play. Doesn’t say a lot to be honest. Genuinely amazed we are 6th, shows how poor this league is.

Read on here lots of people saying how good our players are and a few weeks ago one poster even saying most of our team are Championship quality. They aren’t. Can’t fault effort but Magennis is a keeper playing upfront. Holmes puts his head down and runs, when it works it is great but his distribution is poor. Forster Casey will end up a lower level L1 player, offers next to nothing the majority of the time.

Pompey deserved the win.

This was my view... the first game back I had a better one... still paid full price as it was not advertised as an obstructed view seat. Fortunately as there are so many empty spaces I could move!

• Options

You were obviously at a different game to me & most of the other posters on here. As someone posted earlier, Magennis has looked uninterested ever since N I got knocked out of the World Cup. He hardly ever wins the ball in the air, he doesn't challenge the defenders & he can't pass or shoot - apart from that he's top class.

I said a few weeks ago that we'd be playing really poorly & will start slipping down the table. Someone mocked me then but I'm afraid I am starting to be proved wrong. By the time we play Gillingham on New Years Day we will be around 8th or 9th in the league & any chance of the play offs will be gone.

We are totally in-effective upfront - we have no threat & any pace we do have is nullified as the wingers (?) are doubly marked. All you need to do to beat us is to score first & then sit back. Our strength (if we have any) is fast, tricky attacking midfielders , bit they can't get anywhere is they have 10 men in front of them. It happened away at Plymouth & Gillingham & we are now seeing it at home. When was the last time we scored first ?? . We are always on the back foot & playing catch up. Although today it took Pompey 47 mins to score against us we hardly threatened before then. The amount of goals we have scored compared to the other top 7 sides is laughable.............and unfortunately that is not going to change for at least a month & I fear not even after that.

I'm sorry, but my patience with KR is wearing thin. He is a nice bloke but his insistence in holding out for Reeves, not standing up to Novak and also not bringing in another striker in the summer is now coming home to roost.

To save time I'm going to give my prediction for next week now.

3-0 to Blackburn.
  • Options
    I can understand the frustration many are feeling but I think some of the comments on here tonight are well over the top. We have too many QUALITY players missing and KR isn't exactly spoiled for choice for replacements. From what I saw everyone put in a shift but our shortcomings - especially in front of goal - have been obvious since August, even when we were winning games. This will not change unless we get someone in during January and I have to agree with many Lifers, I think with the present squad we will struggle to make the play-off positions.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

No one seems to be moaning about the award of the penalty. From my excellent view from the east stand near the Pompey mugs, the ball seemed to be clearing their players head by about 10ft so don't see how the ref could give it for a featherlight touch from Solly

I think the reasoning should be... Why did Solly have to pull back their player in the first place then

Even had he used a step ladder there was no way the Portsmouth player would get to the ball
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dont want to jump to Robinson's defence today but he's right here

newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15712376.Robinson_hits_back_at_Portsmouth_manager_s_claim_about_Charlton_s_squad_depth/

Jackett should try and manage Charlton for a few weeks to see how deep our squad really is!!
  • Options
    What was todays attendance
  • Options

Looked about 15k
    Probably be announced higher
  • Options

16,300 and something. At least 4k Pompey
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Portsmouth were 2 bob first half, we were not much better and 20 minutes in it was pretty obvious to me that one up front was not working ( again! ) and it felt like another cock up or stea piece was going to cost us. As was mentioned earlier we had no plan B, no striker, no wingers that can cross and no fucking clue and got sussed out quite easily by Kenny Jackett. Robinson needs to stop persisting with this effing one up front crap with a striker that can’t score goals. Magennis looks like he could not give a toss at the moment and was at fault for nearly going one down in the first half. Holmes decision making was atrocious and time after time ran into dead ends when he could have easily made a pass. Can’t believe we are still 6th with a game in hand but it’s pretty meaningless if you’re not winning. Overall a very shit afternoon and damp squib of a 25th celebration as are all major events when we have half decent crowds in. Please hurry up and sell the club Roland you are stinking the place out.
  • Options
    16,361 per BBC
  • Options
    The two boxes behind us in the East Stand were full of Pompey. One of which where the lads were fine, but the other had a bunch of loudmouth wideboy types who got their share of abuse back.
  • Options
    What I see is two defenders Konsa and Sarr who look suspect and an error coming at any time. Their distribution absolute rubbish. The whole teams passing was poor, I have never seen so many passes not going to a player and straight out of play.
    If Reeves is unfit and at best can manage 3 minutes why is he on the subs bench?
    Sorry, it was poor.
  • Options

sammy391 said:

What happened with Meire on the pitch... was she booed?

Apparently the whole ground shouted meire ...... cunt & this went on for 10 minutes, it was awful for her but she just had to put up with it. I'm sure that's correct isn't it pinnochio ?
    You forgot to add the chant of: Women have no business in Football... awful, awful for poor Katie!!
    It was worse than the racist abuse that Black players used to have to deal with. It was shocking. She's so brave.