Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

James Mclean

Comments

• Options
    Ive never worn a poppy in my life, this is not due to any sort of political statement but simply a fact im not sure why I just haven't tbh.

If my hospital suddenly forced me to wear it the answer would be no simple as that, I will not be forced wear anything. If I did not wear the Poppy due to reasons relating to the troubles I would not hesitate to spell this out.

In the eyes of some, most notably FIFA, the Poppy is a political statement and no person during the course of their employment should be forced to wear an article of clothing to make a political statement
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    As a footballer, i hate the spiteful crater faced little prick. As a person, i don't really care about him anymore.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

Whilst I lived in Ireland from 2007 until 2014 there was a change in Ireland from top to bottom about the poppy, Irish soldiers in WW1 and how to remember and respect them. The poppy was worn not just by Brits but Irish reclaiming a lost history.
    That's not to say that die hards wouldn't object but the change was palpable.
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear the poppy in Ireland. I've lived here pretty much my entire life.

I saw them in Kerry and Cork. Not many admittedly but it was in reaction to the centenary of WW1.
  • Options
    james mcclean was born 17 years after bloody sunday. i do understand his principles, but simply don't play in that game, turning his back on the national anthem again dont play in that game.
  • Options
    iainment said:

el-pietro said:

Whilst I lived in Ireland from 2007 until 2014 there was a change in Ireland from top to bottom about the poppy, Irish soldiers in WW1 and how to remember and respect them. The poppy was worn not just by Brits but Irish reclaiming a lost history.
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear the poppy in Ireland. I've lived here pretty much my entire life.
    I saw them in Kerry and Cork. Not many admittedly but it was in reaction to the centenary of WW1.

That would make sense. There are often poppies laid at the WW1 memorial in Cork City as well. Particularly in November.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

james mcclean was born 17 years after bloody sunday. i do understand his principles, but simply don't play in that game, turning his back on the national anthem again dont play in that game.

What a nonsense argument. You could make the same statement in regards to wearing the poppy that anyone born after WW1 shouldn't wear it.

I witnessed an argument that stumped someone a few years ago. An England fan who said remembering the troubles was no longer relevant. When the person making the statement why was asked why he was so against the German national team he went silent.

I have taken the time to read James Mcleans letter to David Whelan and I actually think it was well considered and very well written. In relation to turning his back on the anthem well he could not refuse to play the game as that is his job, he has made a protest, rightly or wrongly, but refusing to play would be a breach of his contract.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    colthe3rd said:

What a nonsense argument. You could make the same statement in regards to wearing the poppy that anyone born after WW1 shouldn't wear it.
    wasn't an argument just an observation, i don't particularly hate Germans or Argentinians both of which are conflicts that happened before i was born.

i just think if he is so against britain - which i think he quite clearly is dont pay tax here and ply your trade in a country where you dont have to make protests?.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    el-pietro said:

Yup, I grew up on the border and live in Dublin and if I wore a poppy in November I would be asking for my ask to be kicked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

I get more annoyed by people who muck around with the quote tags than people who don't wear a poppy.

quotes are buggered
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I get more annoyed by people who muck around with the quote tags than people who don't wear a poppy.

I blame James McClean for it.
  • Options
    The visible hate for the English from the fake paddy's in Glasgow and the Irish on Twitter is strange but quite funny to see. They have a real complex.
  • Options

So basically my point is spot on, it appears despite Defoe biting opponents, speeding whilst banned etc can be brushed aside but because James Mclean, refuses to wear a poppy on his shirt and face the British flag during the national anthem, his charitable work becomes "Irrelevant". If he hated the British that much then surely he would have checked the pregnant ladies passport for her nationality.

Not sure what you are hoping to gain from this debate mate, but none of us are perfect, and the decision making of our emotions is not formed on a regimented yes / no grid. Gazza is a good example where people may have a strong view on say alcoholism, partner violence etc, yet soften the weight of their stance when it involves someone whose talents they admire, has likeability etc.

McClean takes a strong view on an emotive subject that is very close to a lot of people's hearts. Its entirely expected that it will generate a kickback from a lot of people.
    I'm gaining information, and you've helped me massively with your example. I find it staggering how someone's opinion can change on such an important matter such as partner violence based on their talents.
  • Options

el-pietro said:

Yup, I grew up on the border and live in Dublin and if I wore a poppy in November I would be asking for my ask to be kicked.

Just saying what I saw. There was an increase in interest in the Irish soldiers of WW1 because of the centenary. They were treated badly by the Irish after the Rising for various reasons. There memory was restored and the state recognised their sacrifices. And some people chose to wear poppies. I guess specifically for the Irish soldiers of WW1.
    I must admit it surprised me.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

wasn't an argument just an observation, i don't particularly hate Germans or Argentinians both of which are conflicts that happened before i was born.

i just think if he is so against britain - which i think he quite clearly is dont pay tax here and ply your trade in a country where you dont have to make protests?.
    He clearly isn't "So against Britain", just because he chooses not to wear a poppy doesn't make him "So against Britain"
  • Options
    iainment said:

el-pietro said:

Just saying what I saw. There was an increase in interest in the Irish soldiers of WW1 because of the centenary. They were treated badly by the Irish after the Rising for various reasons. There memory was restored and the state recognised their sacrifices. And some people chose to wear poppies. I guess specifically for the Irish soldiers of WW1.

I believe there was an Irish Poppy which had a green centre rather than the black one.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

He clearly isn't "So against Britain", just because he chooses not to wear a poppy doesn't make him "So against Britain"
    well anyone that considers martin mcguinness a hero i would call pretty anti british. the common misconception that anyone irish is pro ira/mcguinness is also a load of bollocks which is something i mentioned on the mcguiness thread.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

colthe3rd said:

Its a fundamental right in this country that we are able to protest, its called democracy !!!

Does any government protestor need to leave the country, how about all those Lewisham Hospital protesters who argued the government was wrong to unlawfully close Lewisham A and E, should they go and live elsewhere rather then protest against the government.

What evidence do you have to support your claim that he is 'so against Britain' by the way ?

BTW Mark Kinsella is a huge fan of the Wolfetones does that make him 'anti British' ?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @Northstandpieeater what does an irish rebel band have to do with it, personally singing songs about rebels/irish cause and bombing places are slightly different, i like listening to a bit of the auld dubliners with the grandad when he was alive as much as i like a beer up on st georges day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2017
    iainment said:

There has been, as you say, a long overdue reappraisal over the last thirty years or so, in no small part due to the personalities of the recent Presidents, allied to the work of disparate groups of historians and volunteers (who actually did things like clean up the Garden of Remembrance in Dublin), which has rehabilitated (too late) the many Irishmen who fought in both World Wars (though the case of those who deserted the Defence Forces to fight in 1939-1945 is still an awkward one).

I'm fairly sure that this remembrance is also tied in with reflecting of the sacrifices of those on UN duties (which reminds me I must watch the Siege at Jadotville) and in defence of the State.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

well anyone that considers martin mcguinness a hero i would call pretty anti british. the common misconception that anyone irish is pro ira/mcguinness is also a load of bollocks which is something i mentioned on the mcguiness thread.
    McGuiness in my IMO was an evil man but did the Queen not shake his hand, has she not sent his family a letter of condolence. Does this make the Queen Anti British ?
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

McGuiness in my IMO was an evil man but did the Queen not shake his hand, has she not sent his family a letter of condolence. Does this make the Queen Anti British ?
    yes i think its disgusting the way he was acknowledged as some sort of hero, when he turned his back on his violent beliefs in a cop out.
  • Options

The visible hate for the English from the fake paddy's in Glasgow and the Irish on Twitter is strange but quite funny to see. They have a real complex.

And yet you're always posting your hatred for anything Irish, is that not a real complex?
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

yes i think its disgusting the way he was acknowledged as some sort of hero, when he turned his back on his violent beliefs in a cop out.
    I'm saddened that you believe acknowledging McGuinness' contribution to the peace process (for all its flaws), and recognising that, as a result, there are people alive today who would not otherwise have been, is disgusting.

If the IRA and its ilk laying down the gun and the bomb is a cop out, I'll have cop outs every day of the week.

As an aside, if you want to end a conflict like the Troubles, you actually need the nastiest bastards on each side to buy in to the process. Whatever else you may say about McGuinness, he was absolutely committed to the peace process once it was established.
    What I mean is if Martin mcguinness and the ira were not cornered would they of entered peace talks and negotiations - I don't think they would equally without the uda and uvf peace would of come about a lot sooner. Granted once Martin did enter peace process lives were saved but his bombs had taken a good few away!, and the man had no choice, the ira these days are somewhat just gangsters and drug dealers a lot like the loyalist units in the north.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

You did not actually answer my question; the Queen a person who shook hands with the man, who felt passionate enough about him to send his family a letter of condolance. Does the Queens actions, in the way Mcleans has in your eyes, make her anti British ? Are the Queen actions in mourning the death of the man any different to Mcleans ?
  • Options
    did the queen really mourn?, probably not is she doing it because it's the "right" thing to do, in the pc world we live in.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

And yet you're always posting your hatred for anything Irish, is that not a real complex?
    Am I? Show me.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Am I? Show me.
    Oh come on now, I'm not going trawling through your post history but any time there is a thread on here about something Irish I can be certain you'll be in it moaning.