Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    4 strikers out on the training pitch today! 
    Casey called up to train with the first team then? 
    Aneeeeeeeeke
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    timken said:
    CAFC stands for Charlton Athletic Footballing Chaos. 
    Charlton athletic football circus
    Oi, that’s my copyright! Lol. 

CAFC stands for Charlton Athletic Footballing Chaos
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    ValleyBen said:
    It was a mistake to offer new contracts to both Hector and Thomas, since at best they were both average last season, should have been one or the other. 
    “But they make good squad players, and providing Hector can stay fit, he’s far too good for this league.”

We embarrass ourselves sometimes when it comes to how good/how much we accommodate some of the dross we’ve had over the last few years.  Payne was another one.  He definitely tried and put a shift in, but then we get people getting into this crazy logic about how we should’ve kept him because we’ve got no one else as a better option.  If they’re not good enough, they’re not good enough, regardless of their possible replacements.  

I imagine other club’s fans do it as well, but never have I read so much when it comes to accommodating mediocrity as we do here 

The old Aneke cheat code brigade will be warming up soon in anticipation of his next cameo before 
    cabbles said:
    ValleyBen said:
    It was a mistake to offer new contracts to both Hector and Thomas, since at best they were both average last season, should have been one or the other. 
    “But they make good squad players, and providing Hector can stay fit, he’s far too good for this league.”

We embarrass ourselves sometimes when it comes to how good/how much we accommodate some of the dross we’ve had over the last few years.  Payne was another one.  He definitely tried and put a shift in, but then we get people getting into this crazy logic about how we should’ve kept him because we’ve got no one else as a better option.  If they’re not good enough, they’re not good enough, regardless of their possible replacements.  

I imagine other club’s fans do it as well, but never have I read so much when it comes to accommodating mediocrity as we do here 

The old Aneke cheat code brigade will be warming up soon in anticipation of his next cameo before we don’t see him again until July 2024 
    But it's only worth getting rid of them if your going to bring someone better in.  We have never replaced Purrington as a back up left back.  We haven't, as yet, got 4 adult strikers, let alone four that are better than Washington.  We haven't replaced either Clare nor Egbo.  None of them were good enough but they were better than the no one we replaced them with.  Hector, I think, is a bit different but if we hadn't resigned Thomas who would make the numbers up?

As it stands we have to announce a team in 47 hours we are going to struggle to name a bench at this rate.  Last week's 18 had 5 teenagers in it already. 

But saying all that none of them left, or stayed, because "we accommodated them".
    People do though.  If we haven’t got a better replacement than Payne, then we haven’t got one.  It doesn’t matter that he’s here to try and plug that gap, because he’s not good enough.  Yes, we fall down because we never get in better, but that’s not an excuse to say, we should’ve kept x.  Let’s say we kept Purrington and for argument’s sake Washington last season.  We might have faired slightly better, but imo that’s not enough to get promotion.  It’s the same with Payne and Egbo.  I don’t want to see youngsters burnt out because they’ve had to come in too soon, but at the same time, why do we try and argue for these players to stay when they’re just not up to it.  

Because they are better than no body is the point.

If today and tomorrow we got rid of everyone that isn't good enough ough to be a first choice player in a promotion winning team we wouldn't be able to field a five a side team on Saturday.

If we had kept Purrington last season that might have been an extra 6 or 7 points for not throwing Chinn, Clayden and God knows who else under the bus.  That's half the extra points we needed to get in the play offs.  If we had kept Egbo or Clare we might have 2 or 4 more points already by not flogging poor Asiimwe half to death.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Coming soon:

Vote for Februarys Autovillage Player of the Month - News - Cheltenham  Town FC
    I wouldn’t be so sure… 
    Neither would I
  • Options
    I suppose we'll find out soon.
  • Options
    I see it doing the rounds and thought it was a nice photo of our new super strikers. 
    Thanks for ruining it!
  • Options
    Just for clarity, can I confirm that that’s Etete in the pic above and I guess the suggestion is he isn’t coming?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are we announcing some business today are we gonna leave have a proper scramble tomorrow?
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Surely needing an extra CB would depend on how we want to set up? If a manager comes in and doesn't want 3 at the back, doesn't that leave us rather overstocked in that area? Not that our CBs have been anywhere near good enough, just seems strange.
    would allow Elerewe & Mitchell to go on much needed NL loans 
    is an NL Loan the best they could fetch? if we are seeing them as good enough to be in and around the first team, surely we should be looking at a L2 Level loan for them?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Etete is an exciting young prospect. 6’6” and only 21 years old. I also think Alfie May would be delighted. His senior record so far:

Northampton Aug 21 to Jan 22: 15 starts, 3 goals, 1 assist

Cheltenham Jan 22 to May 22: 10 starts, 3 goals, 3 assists (all for Alfie May)

Cardiff 22/23: 12 starts, 3 goals, 1 assist

However if it’s not Etete, never mind. :-)

• Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    fenaddick said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Surely needing an extra CB would depend on how we want to set up? If a manager comes in and doesn't want 3 at the back, doesn't that leave us rather overstocked in that area? Not that our CBs have been anywhere near good enough, just seems strange.
    is an NL Loan the best they could fetch? if we are seeing them as good enough to be in and around the first team, surely we should be looking at a L2 Level loan for them?
    The preference of sending them to the NL is that we can recall them outside of the transfer windows if we had an injury or suspension crisis. If they go to L2 we can only recall in January. So it is about weighing up that risk.
  • Options
    I am suspicious of bringing in more young players in to our already too young squad but Etete seems the safest bet based on his history of playing with Alfie May, real shame if the deal is not able to happen. 
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    mart77 said:
    Just for clarity, can I confirm that that’s Etete in the pic above and I guess the suggestion is he isn’t coming?
    After riding high on calling the Edun move and then having an absolute nightmare when sharing I heard that Nombe bid had gone (even taking on Cawley) I am extremely cautious when posting about transfers (nothing to do with people on here, more I don't want to look silly when somethings are wrong/don't happen)
    I did hear he was joining and it was done but again, I am not 100% convinced as the Nombe one has broken my trust.
    That’s fair enough. I think Dubai and redbuttle are suggesting it’s another player. I think there’s always a lot of moving pieces and people are hearing about pieces which may not sign but we’ve still spoken to. 
  • Options
    I see Nombe has joined Rotherham today
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is a distinct lack of highlights reels this window I would reckon.
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    fenaddick said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    The best place for Mitchell is here, playing the micky mouse cup games and for our u21s.  If it's not we need to abolish the U21s.
  • Options
    I mean Hector was very good last year, his form has fallen off a cliff but i wouldn't write him off yet. 
    Started casually, improved ,peaked then tailed off last season for me. Seems to have started this season where he left off
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I see Nombe has joined Rotherham today
    Not for sale though  :D
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Just for you Seth, this is some of Etete’s best bits from last season in the Championship https://youtu.be/Zh07TGZu3-M?si=sBK-0iGwTmoJdXOK
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Just for you Seth, this is some of Etete’s best bits from last season in the Championship https://youtu.be/Zh07TGZu3-M?si=sBK-0iGwTmoJdXOK

And the Man City striker playing for Barnsley last season… https://youtu.be/qsVKG444GDY?feature=shared
  • Options
    What about heatmaps Callum... Cmon lad!!
  • Options
    edited August 2023

CAFCDAZ said:
    fenaddick said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

Think Elerewe could do L2 I was just thinking that NL can be done outside the window and allows for recalls due to
    first team injury