Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Nombe at £1m when we already paid for May wasn't going to happen. 

Time will tell if it turns out to be a good deal for him, disappointed we decided he wasn't worth it, but pointless debating that now
    WE didn't pay for May, a sponsor did apparently.
    Cool, so he's illegally owned by a third party, and we'll be fined and deducted points, right?
    Why would we? If true I’d have thought the sponsor donated the money to the club with the agreement that it would be spent on signing May.
  • edited August 2023
    maybe we should get the sponsors to do all the recruiting
  • Whoever paid for May it is still ludicrous if any Charlton fan believes that is why we did not pay a million pounds or more for someone like Nombe or JCH. 
  • Hope he brings Ryan Rydel with him we desperately need a winger who can cross a ball
  • edited August 2023
    ButtleJR said:
    Seems I may have been spun a line regarding Etete... What is going on 😂
    Don't beat yourself up mate, sure The Club don't have a clue as well what is going on...🤷‍♂️
    Hahaha I'd be happy if we got him. Have been told he may already be in the building. Let's see 🤷‍♂️ edit: heard from someone else it was too short to be him but similar hairstyle 😂
  • ButtleJR said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Don't beat yourself up mate, sure The Club don't have a clue as well what is going on...🤷‍♂️
    Hahaha I'd be happy if we got him. Have been told he may already be in the building. Let's see 🤷‍♂️
    That's 3 people who have just said that we've got him.
  • Sponsored links:

• I love the idea of this source, whoever he is, getting info from Methven then immediately syndicating it out to the forum ITK's systematically. 
  • If we're not gonna be any good at football I'd love a team of massive bastards. Screw the 6ft CL height test. I want 6'6 minimum 
  • I love the idea of this source, whoever he is, getting info from Methven then immediately syndicating it out to the forum ITK's systematically. 

• ButtleJR said:
    I love the idea of this source, whoever he is, getting info from Methven then immediately syndicating it out to the forum ITK's systematically. 

Fair enough, not you then...
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    Surely needing an extra CB would depend on how we want to set up? If a manager comes in and doesn't want 3 at the back, doesn't that leave us rather overstocked in that area? Not that our CBs have been anywhere near good enough, just seems strange.
    I don't think we are that overstocked there to be honest. We've got Jones, Hector, Ness and Thomas as proper first team CBs. Deji and Mitchell are youth players. We'd obviously hoped that we'd have a clear 3 in a consistent partnership and the kids would be there as a learning experience but that hasn't panned out. If we get in another CB and play a 3 then there's 5 senior players when you want at least 6 to be properly covered, so with the kids that's fine. If it's a 4 then we have 5 seniors, though Thomas becomes an option at LB so in terms of full rotation we're alright there too.
  • edited August 2023
    I bloody love these window threads...not!!
    Roll on Saturday morning when we can all get back to the hum drum stuff of survival we are more used to handlin', rather than this we can do better stuff...🙄
  • Swisdom said:
    sam3110 said:
    Nombe at £1m when we already paid for May wasn't going to happen. 

Time will tell if it turns out to be a good deal for him, disappointed we decided he wasn't worth it, but pointless debating that now
    WE didn't pay for May, a sponsor did apparently.

I'm interested to know where this has come from.

I seem to recall people being 100% sure the previous shirt sponsor paid the £300k to Thomas Sandgaard to help him with finance the training ground renovation but, seeing as that is my father I enquired if my inheriatnce had taken a further hit and he confirmed it did not. 

So be careful what you believe.  These stories are often put out with an agenda in mind  
    Exactly this... half of this stuff starts off being born within the deepest depths of some keyboard warriors brain, they post it, someone reposts it and before long its 100% fact lol
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    Not a strange rumour though. He did play at Cheltenham last season with May. I mean, fancy trying to pair up 2 players who have previously played together eh ? Now that's real out of the box thinking right there !
  • There's plenty of leafy branches to select from, to give the new owners and SMT a damn good thrashing with, I just don't think this "sponsors paid for May" one, is one of them really
  • edited August 2023
    cabbles said:
    ValleyBen said:
    It was a mistake to offer new contracts to both Hector and Thomas, since at best they were both average last season, should have been one or the other. 
    “But they make good squad players, and providing Hector can stay fit, he’s far too good for this league.”

We embarrass ourselves sometimes when it comes to how good/how much we accommodate some of the dross we’ve had over the last few years.  Payne was another one.  He definitely tried and put a shift in, but then we get people getting into this crazy logic about how we should’ve kept him because we’ve got no one else as a better option.  If they’re not good enough, they’re not good enough, regardless of their possible replacements.  

I imagine other club’s fans do it as well, but never have I read so much when it comes to accommodating mediocrity as we do here 

The old Aneke cheat code brigade will be warming up soon in anticipation of his next cameo before 
    cabbles said:
    ValleyBen said:
    It was a mistake to offer new contracts to both Hector and Thomas, since at best they were both average last season, should have been one or the other. 
    “But they make good squad players, and providing Hector can stay fit, he’s far too good for this league.”

We embarrass ourselves sometimes when it comes to how good/how much we accommodate some of the dross we’ve had over the last few years.  Payne was another one.  He definitely tried and put a shift in, but then we get people getting into this crazy logic about how we should’ve kept him because we’ve got no one else as a better option.  If they’re not good enough, they’re not good enough, regardless of their possible replacements.  

I imagine other club’s fans do it as well, but never have I read so much when it comes to accommodating mediocrity as we do here 

The old Aneke cheat code brigade will be warming up soon in anticipation of his next cameo before we don’t see him again until July 2024 
    But it's only worth getting rid of them if your going to bring someone better in.  We have never replaced Purrington as a back up left back.  We haven't, as yet, got 4 adult strikers, let alone four that are better than Washington.  We haven't replaced either Clare nor Egbo.  None of them were good enough but they were better than the no one we replaced them with.  Hector, I think, is a bit different but if we hadn't resigned Thomas who would make the numbers up?

As it stands we have to announce a team in 47 hours we are going to struggle to name a bench at this rate.  Last week's 18 had 5 teenagers in it already. 

But saying all that none of them left, or stayed, because "we accommodated them".
  • sam3110 said:
    Plaaayer said:
    A sponsor didn’t pay for the signing, sponsorship money came in that helped cover most of the fee. 
    So, exactly what happens every year with sponsorship money at pretty much every club up and down the country? 

Righty ho
    Agreed, no story here.
  • Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Plaaayer said:
    A sponsor didn’t pay for the signing, sponsorship money came in that helped cover most of the fee. 
    So, exactly what happens every year with sponsorship money at pretty much every club up and down the country? 

Righty ho
    I think the point of the story was that he was on his way to Bristol Rovers, and then the sponsorship money got paid which meant we could nick him off them at the last minute. 

If May was such an important target, and the new owners are 'investing, then why did they have to operate that way. 
    And was May unveiled before or after the takeover went through?
  • T_C_E said:
    Just been by the training ground and the signs are we are indeed after a centre half ;)

Is that numpty, Burger Boy still employed by the club?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    ValleyBen said:

The old Aneke cheat code brigade will be warming up soon in anticipation of his next cameo before 
    cabbles said:
    ValleyBen said:

The old Aneke cheat code brigade will be warming up soon in anticipation of his next cameo before we don’t see him again until July 2024 
    But it's only worth getting rid of them if your going to bring someone better in.  We have never replaced Purrington as a back up left back.  We haven't, as yet, got 4 adult strikers, let alone four that are better than Washington.  We haven't replaced either Clare nor Egbo.  None of them were good enough but they were better than the no one we replaced them with.  Hector, I think, is a bit different but if we hadn't resigned Thomas who would make the numbers up?

As it stands we have to announce a team in 47 hours we are going to struggle to name a bench at this rate.  Last week's 18 had 5 teenagers in it already. 

But saying all that none of them left, or stayed, because "we accommodated them".
    People do though.  If we haven’t got a better replacement than Payne, then we haven’t got one.  It doesn’t matter that he’s here to try and plug that gap, because he’s not good enough.  Yes, we fall down because we never get in better, but that’s not an excuse to say, we should’ve kept x.  Let’s say we kept Purrington and for argument’s sake Washington last season.  We might have faired slightly better, but imo that’s not enough to get promotion.  It’s the same with Payne and Egbo.  I don’t want to see youngsters burnt out because they’ve had to come in too soon, but at the same time, why do we try and argue for these players to stay when they’re just not up to it.