Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2023

Time to start a thread given that 2023 will soon be upon us. No better place to start than with some great news and that is the return of Jofra Archer

England Men's selection panel have named a 14-strong squad for the three-match ODI series against South Africa starting in January.

England Men's ODI squad:

Jos Buttler (Lancashire) Captain
Moeen Ali (Warwickshire)
Jofra Archer (Sussex)
Harry Brook (Yorkshire)
Sam Curran (Surrey)
Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire)
Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
Phil Salt (Lancashire)
Olly Stone (Nottinghamshire)
Reece Topley (Surrey)
David Willey (Northamptonshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Comments

• With the depth in English cricket, the people NOT included is just as interesting.

Stokes opting out, Bairstow presumably still injured, Livingstone also injured?, but also no Root, Jordan, Wood, Tom Curran or Hales. And at some stage, surely Zak Crawley will be given a go, seeing that his batting in Tests is basically white ball batting anyway!
  • With the depth in English cricket, the people NOT included is just as interesting.

Stokes opting out, Bairstow presumably still injured, Livingstone also injured?, but also no Root, Jordan, Wood, Tom Curran or Hales. And at some stage, surely Zak Crawley will be given a go, seeing that his batting in Tests is basically white ball batting anyway!
    I think the ecb are keeping root solely for tests these days. Wood is an injury waiting to happen, glad he is being managed. Curren hasn't done anything to be selected but I am surprised at Jordan, I can only guess that it's him or archer. Same with hales, I expect him to be rotated with Roy.
  • Only two players not from a Test/Hundred hosting county - Archer never plays for Sussex anyway so that just leaves Willey who has only just returned to Northants. The ECB will be praying that the likes of Lancs, Notts, Surrey and Warwickshire are still in the top tier should the re-vamp to just six teams in 2024 come into force especially if Yorkshire fail to gain promotion too.   

I think the ecb are keeping root solely for tests these days. Wood is an injury waiting to happen, glad he is being managed. Curren hasn't done anything to be selected but I am surprised at Jordan, I can only guess that it's him or archer. Same with hales, I expect him to be rotated with Roy.
    Jordan is due to play in the Big Bash but hasn't been seen yet. I do wonder whether England now regard him as a strictly T20 player as I was amazed to see that he has only played 4 ODIs (3 wickets in total) since 2016 and not picked up more than 2 wickets in an innings since May 2014. He is 34 now and does seem to suffer from more injuries than he used to, so, possibly, the body can't take having to bowl for 10 overs and field for 50?

Hales is seen as a T20 only player.  That's the explanation from why he wasn't kept in Australia for the ODIs after the world cup.

Just a bit of defence of Curran ..deserves more of a go after his 20/20 performances 
  • Bit surprised that Willey is still part of the thinking, like Jordan he's getting on a bit so won't get any better ( 3 left arm overs in the squad) .Lots of talent there ..thought Ahmed might have had a chance 
  • The ODI squad has gone from best in the world to a little underwhelming to be honest 
  • lolwray said:
    Bit surprised that Willey is still part of the thinking, like Jordan he's getting on a bit so won't get any better ( 3 left arm overs in the squad) .Lots of talent there ..thought Ahmed might have had a chance 
    Ahmed has decided that white ball cricket is too slow and boring when compared to Test cricket  ;)
  • lolwray said:
    With the depth in English cricket, the people NOT included is just as interesting.

Just a bit of defence of Curran ..deserves more of a go after his 20/20 performances 
    Sam Curran did well in the T20 World Cup and is included. Tom Curran didn't and isn't. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2022
    The following players are up for auction in the 2023 IPL

NR 2 crore: Ben Stokes, Sam Curran, Phil Salt, Tom Banton, Chris Jordan, Adil Rashid, Jamie Overton, Craig Overton, Tymal Mills.
    INR 1.5 crore: Harry Brook, Will Jacks, Dawid Malan, Jason Roy.
    INR 1 crore: Joe Root, Luke Wood.
    INR 75 lakh: Reece Topley, Tom Curran, David Payne.
    INR 50 lakh: Richard Gleeson, George Garton.
    INR 40 lakh: Tom Helm, James Fuller, Benny Howell, Jordan Thompson, Rehan Ahmed, Will Smeed.
    INR 20 lakh: Chris Benjamin.

Players such as Stokes and Root have probably elected not to go on the South Africa tour because, having been away in Pakistan, they don't want to go there and the IPL given the time spent away from their respective families. The interesting one is Ahmed and this is a message that England do want to stop him getting experience playing against so many good players or from being financially rewarded, especially as he isn't centrally contracted, even if that means missing the first six weeks or so of the CC. 
  • Surprised the Overtons are valued so highly, when neither are regulars in the England white ball setup
  • Surprised the Overtons are valued so highly, when neither are regulars in the England white ball setup
    The players set the base price themselves and as such, presumably, the Overtons are prepared to risk being unsold as a result of setting that too high. The flip of that is that they might set it too low and find that they end up making a massive contribution to the team's success on the cheap - as opposed to others who do next to nothing but have been bought for more.  
  • The following players are up for auction in the 2023 IPL

NR 2 crore: Ben Stokes, Sam Curran, Phil Salt, Tom Banton, Chris Jordan, Adil Rashid, Jamie Overton, Craig Overton, Tymal Mills.
    INR 1.5 crore: Harry Brook, Will Jacks, Dawid Malan, Jason Roy.
    INR 1 crore: Joe Root, Luke Wood.
    INR 75 lakh: Reece Topley, Tom Curran, David Payne.
    INR 50 lakh: Richard Gleeson, George Garton.
    INR 40 lakh: Tom Helm, James Fuller, Benny Howell, Jordan Thompson, Rehan Ahmed, Will Smeed.
    INR 20 lakh: Chris Benjamin.

Players such as Stokes and Root have probably elected not to go on the South Africa tour because, having been away in Pakistan, they don't want to go there and the IPL given the time spent away from their respective families. The interesting one is Ahmed and this is a message that England do want to stop him getting experience playing against so many good players or from being financially rewarded, especially as he isn't centrally contracted, even if that means missing the first six weeks or so of the CC. 
    *don't
  • I hope Tymal Mills feels able to play in the IPL.  He's had to face a terrible family issue, but, hopefully, it's fully and completely resolved. 
    The players set the base price themselves and as such, presumably, the Overtons are prepared to risk being unsold as a result of setting that too high. The flip of that is that they might set it too low and find that they end up making a massive contribution to the team's success on the cheap - as opposed to others who do next to nothing but have been bought for more.  
    2,00,00,000 rupees is a fair old whack for those two players.  Maybe the truth is that they're both setting it high because they're not bothered about playing and can ease into 2023 county cricket without the stresses of an IPL season; but that they'll take the dough if someone's prepared to bid that sort of silly money. 
  • Root is off to the ILT20 in the UAE for January, was a bit surprised to see that. 
  • Looking at the ODI squad that's going to SA , that's some serious pace options if Stone,Archer and Topley can all actually stay fit. Willey I get as a left arm option that's also more than handy with the bat. Possibly a coin flip between playing Duckett or Salt too. 

Think I saw yesterday Bairstow isn't recovering as quickly as hoped and could be late March before he's back. 
  • Chizz said:
    I hope Tymal Mills feels able to play in the IPL.  He's had to face a terrible family issue, but, hopefully, it's fully and completely resolved. 
    I hadn't seen that, that's awful what's happened

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/64058504
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Root is off to the ILT20 in the UAE for January, was a bit surprised to see that. 
    It's as if he's desperate to prove himself as a T20 player. Kerching  :)
  • Sponsored links:

Jordan has been used much more in T20s than ODIs over the last couple of years. The odd appearance he has made has been as rotation when others aren't available. He was an important part of that t20 world cup squad and played a key role in the semi and final. But he is getting on a bit so I imagine they will be looking to move on from him in the next cycle.

Good to see Topley back. Didn't affect the end result but he was a massive miss for that world cup squad and really feel for the guy as he deserved his redemption arc from the 2016 world cup and all he has been through with his injuries.
  • Harry Brook has been sold for RS13.25 Crore to the Sunrisers Hyderabad in the IPL Auction. That's a staggering £1.3m. Joe Root is unsold.
  • Curren has gone for a "boat load".  Its actually a record boat load at that.
  • lolwray said:
    Bit surprised that Willey is still part of the thinking, like Jordan he's getting on a bit so won't get any better ( 3 left arm overs in the squad) .Lots of talent there ..thought Ahmed might have had a chance 
    Ahmed has decided that white ball cricket is too slow and boring when compared to Test cricket  ;)

• Squad for NZ Tour:

Ben Stokes (Durham) Captain

James Anderson (Lancashire)

Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)

Harry Brook (Yorkshire)

Zak Crawley (Kent)

Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire)

Ben Foakes (Surrey)

Will Jacks (Surrey)

Dan Lawrence (Essex)

Jack Leach (Somerset)

Ollie Pope (Surrey)

Matthew Potts (Durham)

Ollie Robinson (Sussex)

Joe Root (Yorkshire)

Olly Stone (Nottinghamshire)

• edited December 2022
    Harry Brook to Sunrisers Hyderrabad for £1.3m
    Sam Curran to the Punjab Kings for £1.9m
    Ben Stokes to Chenai Super Kings for £1.7m

This does beg the question as to how much worth as a handcuff an England central contract (typically a ceiling of £700K for all bar the captain) will have even before the franchises get going in the various other T20 comps 
  • Jennings left out of the NZ squad, so I'm not sure who will cover for the openers Zak and Duckett
  • Jennings left out of the NZ squad, so I'm not sure who will cover for the openers Zak and Duckett
    Indeed - I suspect that they will just call someone up should one of them get injured. Cricketers seem to be able to travel at the drop of the hat these days and they probably don't want to have players sitting around unnecessarily especially Jennings who sat around doing nothing for the Pakistan tour and he was very much a "horses for courses" selection anyway. If it is an emergency they will have to ask one of the others to do so temporarily.
    Lawrence, or Jacks "of all trades" 
  • With Mccullum and Stokes style , they'd probably send Will Jacks out to open if needed. Does it in white ball cricket.