Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deji Oshilaja - gone to Burton Albion (p10)

Comments

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Oshilaja will be a decent signing for someone to "do a job" or act as cover but I think our ambitions are higher and we need someone who can really challenge and push for a start instead of just "filling in" and I just don't think he's quite at that level.

Think he's been linked to Gillingham before, he'll do well there if so I reckon.
    Agree, hope he finds a club where he can play regularly, should be able to do that in this league. Right decision to let him go. If we keep decent players as cover we won’t make room for better players and the current first choices won’t have good enough competition for places.
  • Options
    All the best, Deji.
  • Options
    Not for me.  Really liked his attitude and endeavour but he’s not a centre half to get us out this league, those suggesting he’s a good squad player for us, really?  He was at the heart of our defence at its worst time for defending, it’s not all his fault by any means but you could argue he was the common denominator.  Absolutely wish him all the best wherever he ends up.
    He also had a run of fantastic games where he was arguably our best player. He's always put in 100% effort and overall has been very mixed, but is a very experienced League 1 defender. Like I said, we don't have a bottomless pit of money and we're a League 1 side, are there much better defenders out there who are going to come here and be 4th choice? The issue we had this season that our first choice pairing barely played, so we were forced to use others too often. 
    He didn’t have a run of fantastic games, he had one or two decent games and one very good one but that was it. The fact is that Deji failed to be a success as a backup centre back. If he was a player who hadn’t quite cut it as a first choice centre back but could do a job as a backup then he might be worth keeping, but he’s always been a backup and he’s never been good enough even at that level. He can’t be relied on to come in and help us keep it tight at the back so there’s no sense in offering him a new deal when his is about to expire. We want to be bringing in defenders who are at the level of or better than Inniss and have them compete for the starting spot, not just hanging onto players who we know for a fact aren’t good enough.
    Well that's your opinion, maybe fantastic was stretching it but I think he was outstanding in 3 games out of 4 and I wasn't alone in thinking that. As I said earlier, I dont disagree that he isn't good enough. But I think he "failed as our back up CB" because Inniss and Famewo were out so long. We suffered because we had two very capable CB's out for a long period of time and relied on Deji, Pearce, Pratley and Gunter who aren't really good enough to be playing more than the odd game. 

As for bringing in defenders who are better than Inniss, how are you expecting us to go out and sign all these quality players? I'm just trying to be realistic, we're a League 1 side with hopefully a half decent budget, but all those CB's who are better than Inniss will probably be playing in the Championship. 
    It's my opinion true, but also the opinion of the three managers who subsequently chose not to play him after his performances became intolerable. Deji failed as a backup CB in the Championship and then proceeded to be bad when he had his opportunity to stake his claim in L1. When finally paired with Famewo Deji was poor in a 1-1 with Fleetwood and then atrocious in a 0-3 against Blackpool. When that was changed next match Pearce was notably improved along with our performances, but Deji never managed to raise his when he was paired with a better partner. I think towards the end of your post you're actually agreeing with me anyway; you've said Deji isn't good enough to be playing more than the odd game, which is exactly why it's time for him to go. We are the most injury cursed team on earth, if you sign for Charlton you're going to play while someone else is crippled just as long as you're not on the injury table yourself. Inniss is very injury prone, the backups will play and they need to be good.
    I imagine we'll sign a player at the level of Inniss the same way we signed Inniss. It's not like he is a carry-over from our better days, we signed him and Famewo in the summer by using the market well and identifying quality where it wasn't appreciated or where it was available. That's Gallen's specialty and I'm sure with fewer budget concerns to hold us back we'll be able to get some decent players in. We'll certainly be able to do better than a lower half L1 CB I would think
    Don't disagree he failed in the Champ, he is a good league 1 defender on his day, his mistakes make him a bit of a liability, I appreciate that and have for a long time. Thing is, both Pearce and Deji were pretty awful around that time, and yes credit to Pearce he came back strongly but Deji didn't get the chance to do that so you can't draw a comparison. I didn't see the Fleetwood game so can't comment on how he played, but next to Inniss or Famewo I do think he would have looked better, like Pearce has. 

Either way, I was never calling for Deji to be a valued member of the squad. I feel the same about Inniss' injury issues and in an ideal world, I would have kept both Deji and Pearce because I think having 4 CB's with one of them Inniss is a concern. We'll see where we are after the summer. I felt Deji was scapegoated a bit when we were playing poorly, you mention the Blackpool game but let's be fair, all bar one or two were shocking that day. In the end, he hasn't proven to be quite good enough so I'm not against him leaving. Tried his best though, so I wish him well. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I would possibly keep if we don't sign Matthews. I see him as a versatile right sided defender. I am surprised he never played at Right Back more often. 
    This. He was more than capable as a right wing back & had a great game away at Bristol City.
    I'm not sure he is reliable enough to be one of the two right backs though. Probably no worse than Gunter and does double as CB cover although Bowyer felt Gunter did that anyway! As a 9th defender he would have been perfect as he can play anywhere across the back 4 so effectively gives us a 3rd option in each position. 
  • Options
    Not for me.  Really liked his attitude and endeavour but he’s not a centre half to get us out this league, those suggesting he’s a good squad player for us, really?  He was at the heart of our defence at its worst time for defending, it’s not all his fault by any means but you could argue he was the common denominator.  Absolutely wish him all the best wherever he ends up.
    He also had a run of fantastic games where he was arguably our best player. He's always put in 100% effort and overall has been very mixed, but is a very experienced League 1 defender. Like I said, we don't have a bottomless pit of money and we're a League 1 side, are there much better defenders out there who are going to come here and be 4th choice? The issue we had this season that our first choice pairing barely played, so we were forced to use others too often. 
    He didn’t have a run of fantastic games, he had one or two decent games and one very good one but that was it. The fact is that Deji failed to be a success as a backup centre back. If he was a player who hadn’t quite cut it as a first choice centre back but could do a job as a backup then he might be worth keeping, but he’s always been a backup and he’s never been good enough even at that level. He can’t be relied on to come in and help us keep it tight at the back so there’s no sense in offering him a new deal when his is about to expire. We want to be bringing in defenders who are at the level of or better than Inniss and have them compete for the starting spot, not just hanging onto players who we know for a fact aren’t good enough.
    Well that's your opinion, maybe fantastic was stretching it but I think he was outstanding in 3 games out of 4 and I wasn't alone in thinking that. As I said earlier, I dont disagree that he isn't good enough. But I think he "failed as our back up CB" because Inniss and Famewo were out so long. We suffered because we had two very capable CB's out for a long period of time and relied on Deji, Pearce, Pratley and Gunter who aren't really good enough to be playing more than the odd game. 

As for bringing in defenders who are better than Inniss, how are you expecting us to go out and sign all these quality players? I'm just trying to be realistic, we're a League 1 side with hopefully a half decent budget, but all those CB's who are better than Inniss will probably be playing in the Championship. 
    It's my opinion true, but also the opinion of the three managers who subsequently chose not to play him after his performances became intolerable. Deji failed as a backup CB in the Championship and then proceeded to be bad when he had his opportunity to stake his claim in L1. When finally paired with Famewo Deji was poor in a 1-1 with Fleetwood and then atrocious in a 0-3 against Blackpool. When that was changed next match Pearce was notably improved along with our performances, but Deji never managed to raise his when he was paired with a better partner. I think towards the end of your post you're actually agreeing with me anyway; you've said Deji isn't good enough to be playing more than the odd game, which is exactly why it's time for him to go. We are the most injury cursed team on earth, if you sign for Charlton you're going to play while someone else is crippled just as long as you're not on the injury table yourself. Inniss is very injury prone, the backups will play and they need to be good.
    I imagine we'll sign a player at the level of Inniss the same way we signed Inniss. It's not like he is a carry-over from our better days, we signed him and Famewo in the summer by using the market well and identifying quality where it wasn't appreciated or where it was available. That's Gallen's specialty and I'm sure with fewer budget concerns to hold us back we'll be able to get some decent players in. We'll certainly be able to do better than a lower half L1 CB I would think
    Don't disagree he failed in the Champ, he is a good league 1 defender on his day, his mistakes make him a bit of a liability, I appreciate that and have for a long time. Thing is, both Pearce and Deji were pretty awful around that time, and yes credit to Pearce he came back strongly but Deji didn't get the chance to do that so you can't draw a comparison. I didn't see the Fleetwood game so can't comment on how he played, but next to Inniss or Famewo I do think he would have looked better, like Pearce has. 

Either way, I was never calling for Deji to be a valued member of the squad. I feel the same about Inniss' injury issues and in an ideal world, I would have kept both Deji and Pearce because I think having 4 CB's with one of them Inniss is a concern. We'll see where we are after the summer. I felt Deji was scapegoated a bit when we were playing poorly, you mention the Blackpool game but let's be fair, all bar one or two were shocking that day. In the end, he hasn't proven to be quite good enough so I'm not against him leaving. Tried his best though, so I wish him well. 
    Deji did play alongside Famewo against Fleetwood and Blackpool and probably looked worse than he had previously unfortunately, whereas Pearce immediately looked better. Oddly with Deji, I feel like he almost has the characteristics of a winger, where you know that they'll blow massively hot and cold, and you trade off the games where they disappear for the occasions where they win you the match. You can't really be like that as a defender though and that's been his downfall, shame he's not a bit more creative really. I agree, I think we need 5 CBs, so I wonder if Barker is ready to be one of them to offset Inniss's legs exploding again.
    Hopefully Deji can join a team where he's first choice and he can work through his consistency issues and become a force, he's certainly got the physical talent. Seems like a nice bloke as well.
  • Options

Deji did play alongside Famewo against Fleetwood and Blackpool and probably looked worse than he had previously unfortunately, whereas Pearce immediately looked better. Oddly with Deji, I feel like he almost has the characteristics of a winger, where you know that they'll blow massively hot and cold, and you trade off the games where they disappear for the occasions where they win you the match. You can't really be like that as a defender though and that's been his downfall, shame he's not a bit more creative really. I agree, I think we need 5 CBs, so I wonder if Barker is ready to be one of them to offset Inniss's legs exploding again.
    Hopefully Deji can join a team where he's first choice and he can work through his consistency issues and become a force, he's certainly got the physical talent. Seems like a nice bloke as well.
    Yeah interesting comparison with a winger, he was a bit like that. You never knew whether he was going to play like Sergio Ramos or Roger Johnson, unfortunately more of the latter. I think Adkins is definitely going to have to speak to Euell and see whether there's a youngster capable of playing 6-7 games this season. If we get 2 quality CB's in we should be fine, but I really don't want Pearce playing much. 
  • Options
    He was a bit unfortunate that we had 2 LBs and 2 RBs in the squad, and few injuries in those positions, or else he might have featured more there. His rampaging style does seem more suited to full back than centre back?
    He needs to play on the right, though.

Against Nottm Forest in the Championship last season, I've never forgotten his performance at RB.
    I thought he was outstanding.

Yet he was seldom used as RB.

• Options
    I liked Deji. Not good enough to be a regular, especially if we have higher ambitions but a solid backup and a good guy to have around. Best wishes and thanks big fellah. 
  • Options
    Good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gave his best and received a great chant for his efforts, good luck lad.
  • Options
    did a job for us when he was needed .. not the most skilled but always gave 100% .. thanks Deji
  • Options
    Never really looked comfortable playing centre back . Much better right back/ wingback and as others have said a thoroughly nice bloke .
  • Options
    A shame for Deji, he was never quite good enough for us always felt like he was hanging on for dear life whenever he played. A good athlete but just not a good enough footballer.

He played some ok games this season and had a great game up at Hull last year but he didn't seem capable of a really good run of games.

However he seemed another good character and member of the squad and I've heard lots of fans saying he was great with autographs, pictures and stuff. So I wish him well and hopefully he finds a lower L1 club and can get his career back on track, I seem to remember Gills being linked to him
  • Options
    Good luck Deji. Still remember that interview after the game this season where he spoke at 100  miles an hour. 
  • Options
    Good luck Deji
  • Options
    Really hope Deji goes on to feature regularly at a club where he's able to play to his full potential.

Good luck, young man.

Will watch your progress with interest. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Signed for Aberdeen - IGNORE 
  • Options
    Signed for Aberdeen
    If your talking about his recent Instagram post, that's not him, that's Jay Emmanuel Thomas aka JET.
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Signed for Aberdeen
    If your talking about his recent Instagram post, that's not him, that's Jay Emmanuel Thomas aka JET.
    Ah...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very good move for him I think. Burton could be play off dark horses next season. It will be interesting to see where he plays. Always thought he would be brilliant on the right side of a 3 with the freedom to get forward. Was the right time to leave us but there is definitely a good player there AND he always seemed to be a brilliant character. Seemed to be the first to congratulate a younger player in the team if they did something good or support them if they made a mistake.
  • Options
    Very best of luck to him - always tried, always worked hard, but it just did not work out here. I do think that if he can find a settle home and get his form back he can play at a higher level.
  • Options
    Good luck for the future, young man.
  • Options
    Really good athlete, very poor footballer. But more importantly he seemed a good guy… glad he got a new club and a decent one sorted so quickly 
  • Options
    Liked Deji.....gave his all. Good luck young man. 
  • Options
    Think he'll do ok there. With a run of games firmly believe he is a decent League 1 player 
  • Options
    Took some unfair stick in my opinion. 
    Good luck to the lad, even though he cocked up a few times, I liked him.
    This
  • Options
    Decent player, great attitude that others could learn from. Always gave 100% to the cause.