Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deji Oshilaja - gone to Burton Albion (p10)

Comments

• Options
    Not for me.  Really liked his attitude and endeavour but he’s not a centre half to get us out this league, those suggesting he’s a good squad player for us, really?  He was at the heart of our defence at its worst time for defending, it’s not all his fault by any means but you could argue he was the common denominator.  Absolutely wish him all the best wherever he ends up.
  • Options
    Not for me.  Really liked his attitude and endeavour but he’s not a centre half to get us out this league, those suggesting he’s a good squad player for us, really?  He was at the heart of our defence at its worst time for defending, it’s not all his fault by any means but you could argue he was the common denominator.  Absolutely wish him all the best wherever he ends up.
    He also had a run of fantastic games where he was arguably our best player. He's always put in 100% effort and overall has been very mixed, but is a very experienced League 1 defender. Like I said, we don't have a bottomless pit of money and we're a League 1 side, are there much better defenders out there who are going to come here and be 4th choice? The issue we had this season that our first choice pairing barely played, so we were forced to use others too often. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Decent player who put in the effort but not good enough to be first choice centre back. 

Might have done well at right back but never got a run there to find out.

Assuming he’ll be released it’s the right decision. If we always keep ok players on because they’re decent cover we’ll never improve. He’s exactly the sort of player we should release and replace with better, it’ll give Inniss better competition and make the squad stronger overall.
    I agree with this but it's not going to be easy to get better. We don't have a bottomless pit of money and the priority has to be improving the side, not necessarily worrying about improving a squad player. 

Although for clarity, if Adkins is like Bowyer and prefers to have a right/left footed combination, then I am absolutely in agreement that we cannot afford to have Inniss and Deji as the two right footed players. If Adkins is just happy to have 4 CB's fighting for the spots, I'd be content to sign two to compete with Inniss for first choice with Deji as 4th. 
    If we're replacing him as a squad player I agree, if that's all we're aiming to do we're probably better off keeping him. I expect we'll replace him and Famewo with two first team level CBs. It won't take millions to do that at this level, there will be plenty of good players available, whether they're free agents, come on loan or are available for a reasonable fee.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Decent player who put in the effort but not good enough to be first choice centre back. 

Might have done well at right back but never got a run there to find out.

Assuming he’ll be released it’s the right decision. If we always keep ok players on because they’re decent cover we’ll never improve. He’s exactly the sort of player we should release and replace with better, it’ll give Inniss better competition and make the squad stronger overall.
    I agree with this but it's not going to be easy to get better. We don't have a bottomless pit of money and the priority has to be improving the side, not necessarily worrying about improving a squad player. 

Although for clarity, if Adkins is like Bowyer and prefers to have a right/left footed combination, then I am absolutely in agreement that we cannot afford to have Inniss and Deji as the two right footed players. If Adkins is just happy to have 4 CB's fighting for the spots, I'd be content to sign two to compete with Inniss for first choice with Deji as 4th. 
    If we're replacing him as a squad player I agree, if that's all we're aiming to do we're probably better off keeping him. I expect we'll replace him and Famewo with two first team level CBs. It won't take millions to do that at this level, there will be plenty of good players available, whether they're free agents, come on loan or are available for a reasonable fee.
    I don't disagree with this, we need to replace one of Pearce/Oshilija with a first team quality CB aswell as Famewo. I don't mind Pearce, he's a good leader and probably a decent figure around the dressing room and training ground but as a player I'd prefer to keep Oshilija personally. Either way, neither of them should be playing regularly next season otherwise I can't see it being successful. 
  • Options
    An honest player but he’s not good enough to get us out of this league. We need 2/3 new centre backs depending on whether Pearce is given an extended contract 
  • Options
    Ultimately think we need better if we're going to progress out of this league so not surprised he's leaving.

Having said that though, if Bowyer had brought into the side instead of playing Pratley and/or Gunter at centre back we might have actually picked up a couple more points and made the play offs.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    His contract is up, of course people can and will talk about what he has done and speak about him as if he has left.
    Yes, but have I missed an announcement?
    No one is chatting like Amos has left for example.
    It's a reasonable assumption though, considering the way he's been frozen out. Ditto Maddison and Oztumer
    Wasn't he on the bench up til recently?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    He also had a run of fantastic games where he was arguably our best player. He's always put in 100% effort and overall has been very mixed, but is a very experienced League 1 defender. Like I said, we don't have a bottomless pit of money and we're a League 1 side, are there much better defenders out there who are going to come here and be 4th choice? The issue we had this season that our first choice pairing barely played, so we were forced to use others too often. 
    Our defence is our obvious weakness.  And you want to carry on with more of the same?  We cannot have Oshilaja as back up for Innis again it was a nightmare, particularly if we are talking about winning the league.
  • Options
    He didn’t have a run of fantastic games, he had one or two decent games and one very good one but that was it. The fact is that Deji failed to be a success as a backup centre back. If he was a player who hadn’t quite cut it as a first choice centre back but could do a job as a backup then he might be worth keeping, but he’s always been a backup and he’s never been good enough even at that level. He can’t be relied on to come in and help us keep it tight at the back so there’s no sense in offering him a new deal when his is about to expire. We want to be bringing in defenders who are at the level of or better than Inniss and have them compete for the starting spot, not just hanging onto players who we know for a fact aren’t good enough.
    Well that's your opinion, maybe fantastic was stretching it but I think he was outstanding in 3 games out of 4 and I wasn't alone in thinking that. As I said earlier, I dont disagree that he isn't good enough. But I think he "failed as our back up CB" because Inniss and Famewo were out so long. We suffered because we had two very capable CB's out for a long period of time and relied on Deji, Pearce, Pratley and Gunter who aren't really good enough to be playing more than the odd game. 

As for bringing in defenders who are better than Inniss, how are you expecting us to go out and sign all these quality players? I'm just trying to be realistic, we're a League 1 side with hopefully a half decent budget, but all those CB's who are better than Inniss will probably be playing in the Championship. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our defence is our obvious weakness.  And you want to carry on with more of the same?  We cannot have Oshilaja as back up for Innis again it was a nightmare, particularly if we are talking about winning the league.
    No I never said he should be back up to Inniss. In fact I've said ideally I'd have 5 CB's because of Inniss' injury problems. Under Bowyer we wanted 2 for the right and 2 for the left, but there's no certainty Adkins will necessary want the same. I'm repeating myself but if Adkins just wanted 4 CB's regardless of footing, then I'm not against Deji being the 4th. But yes we absolutely need 3 quality CB's next season and neither Deji or Pearce are one of them. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    His contract is up, of course people can and will talk about what he has done and speak about him as if he has left.
    Yes, but have I missed an announcement?
    No one is chatting like Amos has left for example.
    It's a reasonable assumption though, considering the way he's been frozen out. Ditto Maddison and Oztumer
    Wasn't he on the bench up til recently?
    As an emergency defensive sub, as shown by the fact he was on the bench 10 games running, in a period when 5 out of the 7 subs (effectively 5 out of 6 outfield players) could come on, and he never came on once!
  • Options
    Bowyer enjoyed playing him centre midfield too #versatile 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    IR94 said:
    Remember one of his first games, rb against Forest he was awesome, really thought we found a real gem, went downhill from there 
    IMO his best performances in a Charlton shirt came at full back. For some reason him playing left back at Hull first game in lockdown comes immediately to mind. He has a surprisingly decent cross in his locker.

I think it’s best for all if he moves on. He was signed at a time when we had no money. That same summer, he had a trial at Luton. He couldn’t win a contract there and ended up on our books. 

This season, he was at least partially responsible for a number of goals. Blackpool, Burton, Gillingham all horror shows. We need better / more consistent to compete with Inniss - a Lockyer type ideally.
  • Options
    He didn’t have a run of fantastic games, he had one or two decent games and one very good one but that was it. The fact is that Deji failed to be a success as a backup centre back. If he was a player who hadn’t quite cut it as a first choice centre back but could do a job as a backup then he might be worth keeping, but he’s always been a backup and he’s never been good enough even at that level. He can’t be relied on to come in and help us keep it tight at the back so there’s no sense in offering him a new deal when his is about to expire. We want to be bringing in defenders who are at the level of or better than Inniss and have them compete for the starting spot, not just hanging onto players who we know for a fact aren’t good enough.
    Well that's your opinion, maybe fantastic was stretching it but I think he was outstanding in 3 games out of 4 and I wasn't alone in thinking that. As I said earlier, I dont disagree that he isn't good enough. But I think he "failed as our back up CB" because Inniss and Famewo were out so long. We suffered because we had two very capable CB's out for a long period of time and relied on Deji, Pearce, Pratley and Gunter who aren't really good enough to be playing more than the odd game. 

As for bringing in defenders who are better than Inniss, how are you expecting us to go out and sign all these quality players? I'm just trying to be realistic, we're a League 1 side with hopefully a half decent budget, but all those CB's who are better than Inniss will probably be playing in the Championship. 
    It's my opinion true, but also the opinion of the three managers who subsequently chose not to play him after his performances became intolerable. Deji failed as a backup CB in the Championship and then proceeded to be bad when he had his opportunity to stake his claim in L1. When finally paired with Famewo Deji was poor in a 1-1 with Fleetwood and then atrocious in a 0-3 against Blackpool. When that was changed next match Pearce was notably improved along with our performances, but Deji never managed to raise his when he was paired with a better partner. I think towards the end of your post you're actually agreeing with me anyway; you've said Deji isn't good enough to be playing more than the odd game, which is exactly why it's time for him to go. We are the most injury cursed team on earth, if you sign for Charlton you're going to play while someone else is crippled just as long as you're not on the injury table yourself. Inniss is very injury prone, the backups will play and they need to be good.
    I imagine we'll sign a player at the level of Inniss the same way we signed Inniss. It's not like he is a carry-over from our better days, we signed him and Famewo in the summer by using the market well and identifying quality where it wasn't appreciated or where it was available. That's Gallen's specialty and I'm sure with fewer budget concerns to hold us back we'll be able to get some decent players in. We'll certainly be able to do better than a lower half L1 CB I would think
  • Options
    Three managers? Stretching the truth a bit there... 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Three managers? Stretching the truth a bit there... 
    No, it's just factual. Jackson had a chance to put him in if he thought Bowyer had unfairly ditched him but he didn't. It's not like Jacko didn't make other changes for his game. Three different men had the opportunity to pick Deji and ultimately they didn't if there was any other option at all
  • Options
    I would possibly keep if we don't sign Matthews. I see him as a versatile right sided defender. I am surprised he never played at Right Back more often. 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Remember one of his first games, rb against Forest he was awesome, really thought we found a real gem, went downhill from there 
    IMO his best performances in a Charlton shirt came at full back. For some reason him playing left back at Hull first game in lockdown comes immediately to mind. He has a surprisingly decent cross in his locker.

I think it’s best for all if he moves on. He was signed at a time when we had no money. That same summer, he had a trial at Luton. He couldn’t win a contract there and ended up on our books. 

This season, he was at least partially responsible for a number of goals. Blackpool, Burton, Gillingham all horror shows. We need better / more consistent to compete with Inniss - a Lockyer type ideally.
    We can't be having a Lockyer, he was out of contract at Bristol Rovers :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Bowyer enjoyed playing him centre midfield too #versatile 
    When we had 14 injuries 
  • Options
    I imagine he's burnt his bridges in terms of returning to Wimbledon?
  • Options
    Good luck Deji.  Hope he get's a good L1 club where he can play fb.  Looked excellent at rb against Forrest before a bad tackle.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I would possibly keep if we don't sign Matthews. I see him as a versatile right sided defender. I am surprised he never played at Right Back more often. 
    This. He was more than capable as a right wing back & had a great game away at Bristol City.
  • Options
    Good luck Deji.
  • Options
    Oshilaja will be a decent signing for someone to "do a job" or act as cover but I think our ambitions are higher and we need someone who can really challenge and push for a start instead of just "filling in" and I just don't think he's quite at that level.

Think he's been linked to Gillingham before, he'll do well there if so I reckon.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Don’t think we’ll see him at Gillingham as they had him on loan but let him go on perm to Wimbledon rather than try to sign him themselves.  I can see Leyton Orient or Colchester.
  • Options
    Had some really solid games, had a few horror show moments. No ill feeling to him whatsoever, wish him well at his next club and am sure he will enjoy a long career around and about this level.