Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deji Oshilaja - gone to Burton Albion (p10)

Comments

• Options
    If nothing else, we had a worrying shortage of players with unpronounceable names and this keeps the balance in the squad.
    The spelling of his name on here will be interesting
    The spelling of anyone’s name on here is interesting!  B)
  • Options
    Yes hope his better than the last 2 signings from Wimbledon. 😀Welcome  Deji fits bowyers mandate of being hungry and wanting to prove himself at higher level.need them forwards now especially as Lyle fired blanks on pre season think he wants out. 😀

Good job he's just signed a new contract then eh?
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Yes hope his better than the last 2 signings from Wimbledon. 😀Welcome  Deji fits bowyers mandate of being hungry and wanting to prove himself at higher level.need them forwards now especially as Lyle fired blanks on pre season think he wants out. 😀

has he? think you will find he hasn't, yet.
  • Options
    I think a good management team have a strong understanding of what attributes a team needs. We have one and they will have done their homework and it is irrelevant for me, what club we sign players from. There will be a reason they have signed them and I think, as a management team, there are not many better than ours. I appreciate that I have a controversial view, but I think most managers are average to crap so having Bowyer is a major advantage. Of course, a big budget makes things easier, but when money is tight, we should be delighted when a deal comes off as Bowyer is not going to want to waste money on the wrong player.
    I agree with this.  My worry though is that we don’t know, and will probably never know, how far down their wish list of players LB and Gallen have got to before signing Deji and others who will follow.  I’m crediting LB with having a plan and I’m glad we have him at the helm. But this could be plan c, d or e. 
  • Options
    I think a good management team have a strong understanding of what attributes a team needs. We have one and they will have done their homework and it is irrelevant for me, what club we sign players from. There will be a reason they have signed them and I think, as a management team, there are not many better than ours. I appreciate that I have a controversial view, but I think most managers are average to crap so having Bowyer is a major advantage. Of course, a big budget makes things easier, but when money is tight, we should be delighted when a deal comes off as Bowyer is not going to want to waste money on the wrong player.
    I agree with this.  My worry though is that we don’t know, and will probably never know, how far down their wish list of players LB and Gallen have got to before signing Deji and others who will follow.  I’m crediting LB with having a plan and I’m glad we have him at the helm. But this could be plan c, d or e. 
    We have tried to sign him previously under Bowyer and in fact offered money for him so I doubt it’s worse than plan b
  • Options
    Sounds another leader. This squad isn't going to bottle it at The Den.
  • Options
    We have tried to sign him previously under Bowyer and in fact offered money for him so I doubt it’s worse than plan b
    If we were offering money in January for a defender he was surely someone we really wanted and given Bows confidence on reaching the Championship, someone who they thought could make the step up.
  • Options
    razil said:
    I wonder if this decision was prompted by Page's new injury
    Unlikely if we've been chasing him since last summer.

Have seen an article that he played in a friendly for Luton last week, which i assume was a trial for him, so perhaps that gave us a kick up the arse to sign him.
  • Options
    Good signing.  Decent age, decent athlete and looked good against us a few times.  If Bowyer can improve him I'd be delighted but I liked what I saw whenever I have seen him play.

Definitely right footed
  • Options
    That would always be the worry - but as we don't know whether it was plan A, plan B or plan Z, we shouldn't be too concerned. Getting the balance of a team right doesn't occupy the minds of many and why should it? It is something that should concern the manager and the trick is to have one that gets it. That is one who understands the strengths and weaknesses of his team and how to improve it. 

for some re-assurance, we should cast our minds back to roughly this time last year. I don't think most of us were predicting the season we had. The squad was too small - we couldn't even take a full bench to the first game at Sunderland. Bowyer said at the time, we have to wait for the right players. I was worried at the time, but am less worried now, because Bowyer waited and improved the team. Actually, I'll go further than that - whilst we were always vulnerable to losing key players, our best team was better than any other team in that league.

Clearly, it is going to be harder for Bowyer to do the same this season. But he knows what he is doing and he is only going to bring in what he thinks are the right players and he is not the sort to compromise on that. And judging by last season, he does seem to have a much better nose for balancing the team and bringing the right players in. Another example was Purrington. It took a while for some fans to get it as he was a player that altered the stats in your favour rather than wowed you watching him. He altered those stats from the word go, but many fans took far too long to get it. Some still might not :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds another leader. This squad isn't going to bottle it at The Den.
    Dont speak too soon...
  • Options
    Always impressed when playing against us. Good good recovery pace, which we don't have a lot of in that position (though Sarr eats up ground with those long legs). Provides more cover at RB. Makes me wonder if Dijksteel is going to be used more as a midfielder. 
  • Options
    addick05 said:

According to the emoji on his twitter account (last night) he intimated he had. Or is that just a wind up?
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    addick05 said:

According to the emoji on his twitter account (last night) he intimated he had. Or is that just a wind up?
    he didn't say he had signed he basically announced the signing of a contract, turned out to be Osiljage's (sp)
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    addick05 said:

he didn't say he had signed he basically announced the signing of a contract, turned out to be Osiljage's (sp)

Right, well it certainly fooled me - and lots of others as well. Thing is I heard Lyle was influential in getting him to sign  - so would make sense he would be signing as well, but who knows?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    A problem Bowyer is going to have to solve very quickly, is how he keeps his 8, very similar quality, defenders happy.   Last season he rotated the LCB and right back a lot, which was fine as the least best option was still good enough for league 1. 

Chopping and changing, looking for the least worst combination in the championship is a diffrent kettle of fish. I think he will get it right but I does have the potential to go the shape of a pear. 
    Injuries and suspensions will resolve the issue  of giving everybody some game time
    I don't think it will be a problem, as we have a minimum of 48 games to play, plus Lewis Page is one of the 8 and unfortunately he can never stay fit.
    Plus solly will never stay fit either,  I think full backs are unlikely to be a problem , the centre backs maybe but Pearce seemed happy to wait his chance last season and still signed a new contract 
  • Options
    Welcome Deji.  May your 2 years at The Valley be progressive for all concerned.

As the twunt sanctioned a (inadequate) fee for this chap last summer and we've signed him now, there can be no doubt whatsoever that this season's overall budget is no more than last.  Last year's wasn't great even by L1 standards.  Rest assured it will be way off the bottom of the chart for this season's championship.
    The departure of Igor and the BFG with their meireculous contracts might mean LB, JJ and SG have a little more with which to entice their targets, or maybe even add to the headcount, but given the twunt's mania for minimising staff numbers I'm not confident about the latter.
    Just a striker and some solid midfield quality to find and LB might just have enough senior players to fill the bench come 3 August.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Always impressed when playing against us. Good good recovery pace, which we don't have a lot of in that position (though Sarr eats up ground with those long legs). Provides more cover at RB. Makes me wonder if Dijksteel is going to be used more as a midfielder. 
    Oshilaja was signed as first-choice RB, not as cover. Dijksteel will compete for DMF.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Oshilaja was signed as first-choice RB, not as cover. Dijksteel will compete for DMF.
    Isn't he a CB?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    You’ve heard that or just a guess?
  • Options
    I'd assume that's guess work seeing as Bowyer says he can play anywhere across the back four and that's something we've been missing a utility defender - though he used different words
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd assume that's guess work seeing as Bowyer says he can play anywhere across the back four and that's something we've been missing a utility defender - though he used different words
    I agree. 
    But if you think about it it does make sense. 
  • Options
    I'm starting to think Djiksteel is being seen as our No1 RCB, particularly in a three.
  • Options
    Is Oshilaja the answer at right back other than as cover ? Can you really see him getting down the wing and making crosses ? Personally I don’t but I could of course be doing him a disservice. Full backs these days need to be able to get forward at every opportunity. Not sure I see Oshilaja as that.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Is Oshilaja the answer at right back other than as cover ? Can you really see him getting down the wing and making crosses ? Personally I don’t but I could of course be doing him a disservice. Full backs these days need to be able to get forward at every opportunity. Not sure I see Oshilaja as that.
    He is at least as quick and skilful as Purrington when going forward, which may not be saying a lot, but we have to make do on our budget. But he is also a tougher and more experienced defender than Purrington, which is more important, as we will be defending for our lives in a relegation battle from Day One.  

The question is whether he will buy into the project like Purrington. If Lyle vouched for him, then I hope so.

Solly is finished as first choice, Dijksteel wants to play in midfield, and neither Wiredu nor Yao are ready yet, so DO is the best we have at RB.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Anfernee is earmarked for the RB position and Solly knows that he isn't first choice any more.

• Options
    I reckon he could be sold if he's not signed a contract extension by start of the season based on Bowyers comments.