Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Options
    I asked the club about the squad numbers the other day and I was told

"The plan was for Bogle to be 9 but there are some paperwork issues with that because Bonne had already been given that number this season, so they’re trying to see if it’s allowed."

So as Phillips had 1 and Bonne 9 then they can't be used again.

Please no rational explanations.

• Options
    If Lee say's we haven't got a No9, then he must have said that
    knowing something is about to happen, who knows, maybe
    he has a freebie set up and waiting for the big intro.
    Are we really sure nothing has happened with Schwartz
    or Thomas that we are not ITK  ;)

No number one either, new keeper incoming, loan AMB out for experience
  • Options
    If Lee say's we haven't got a No9, then he must have said that
    knowing something is about to happen, who knows, maybe
    he has a freebie set up and waiting for the big intro.
    Are we really sure nothing has happened with Schwartz
    or Thomas that we are not ITK  ;)

No number one either, new keeper incoming, loan AMB out for experience
    Maybe read Lancs' post above, Large.

It seems that's why. :neutral:
  • Options
    Could be rubbish but rumour that Schwartz got released by his club. Would that mean we could sign him?
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Could be rubbish but rumour that Schwartz got released by his club. Would that mean we could sign him?
    Can we do that once the international window has closed?

• Options
    mart77 said:
    Thought it was rumoured that everything was agreed between Charlton and his club and Charlton and the player but he got cold feet at the point of signing? If thats the case i'd say that whatever deal was in place is dead in the water anyway?
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    There you go a No9 ;)
  • Options
    Grapevine...I couldn’t (& I mean I couldn’t...😉) have put it better myself,brilliantly constructed reasoning & the same brilliant constructing of a team in the short space, time & within the constraints of budget & players around,LB,Gallen & of course Tommy take a bow,get this season on track once the players settle & gel,then see where we are come end of this season but most definitely the one after...👍
  • Options
    Schwartz didn't want to move his family during a pandemic.  I can't see him changing his mind, especially for around 2k per week.

We will probably look at other free agents and see if they can be persuaded, I would imagine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mart77 said:
    No truth in it 
    That’s a pity but not a shock!👍
  • Options
    Probably the same list that Bow has on his office wall,
    and crossing them off one by one as we speak ;)
  • Options
    Mum lad informs me that West Brom top league scorer last season had 10 goals. So isn’t a must have to win a league. 
    "Mum lad".

That's you, isn't it?
  • Options
    I’ll take Mandzukic please, ta
  • Options
    Very very disappointing window . I asked a simple question and all I got was slobbering over my girlfriend...

one last time

does a basic Valley Pass give me extended  highlights of all Charlton games?

how soon after a game does Valley Pass have extended highlights available?
    Not sure if you’ve already had an answer but here’s the answers.
    Yes, you do get extended highlights with Valley Gold membership.
    As to how soon they become available is a bit hit and miss.
    In past seasons it’s been mid to late afternoon on Monday for Saturday kick offs and next day mid afternoon for week day games.
    However.......they have been a bit here and there of late as there’s been a bit of inconsistency and I believe I’m right in saying on one or two occasions Saturday games have not become available until Tuesday!
    Let’s hope with the new regime that this will greatly improve as I believe the Coms team is somewhat under staffed at present.

• Options
    2121 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    2121 said:
    I think its quite obvious that alfie can play at a higher level based on his performances last term and his head has been turned. Dont think its anything against the club. 
    Also someone said on here he supports millwall so no reason to stay. 
    I disagree, I think it's quite obvious that Alfie has the potential to play at a higher level.

He only played as many games as he did last season because he was fit and avaliable.  Something you can't say about many of our players then. 

Big 10 weeks for him now, not in terms of his development, in terms of his attitude.  He may for the first time find himself left out of the 1st XI despite being fit and ready to go. 
    Agree to disagree then! For me he played at a higher level for half a season and was great. 
    He wasn't great though was he?  He did some great things but he wasn't a regular 7 or 8 out of ten.  How many games did he positively influence the result of?

He isn't so good that you have to pick him.  Not saying he is shit, by any means.  But a 1st team championship player?  Not yet. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After seeing some post that we won't get promoted or even top 6 as we haven't signed a proven 20+ goalscorer, thought I'd take a look at the last few League 1 seasons to see how many players have scored 20 or more, and where that club finished.  

19/20 (season wasn't completed)
    Toney - Peterborough finished 7th

18/19
    Collins - Luton finished 1st
    Eaves - Gillingham finished 13th
    Marquis - Doncaster finished 6th
    Taylor - We finished 3rd
    Henderson - Rochdale finished 16th

17/18
    Marriott - Peterborough finished 9th
    Pitman - Portsmouth finished 8th

16/17
    Sharp - Sheff Utd finished 1st
    Vaughan - Bury finished 19th

15/16
    Ajose - Swindon finished 16th
    Grigg - Wigan finished 1st
    Sharp - Sheff Utd finished 11th
    Winnall - Barnsley finished 6th
    Armstrong - Coventry finished 8th
    Madden - Scunthorpe finished 7th

Good bit of research and quite interesting 

Would be curious to see who the top scorer was and how many goals they scored for the three teams promoted over the last few years
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    After seeing some post that we won't get promoted or even top 6 as we haven't signed a proven 20+ goalscorer, thought I'd take a look at the last few League 1 seasons to see how many players have scored 20 or more, and where that club finished.  

18/19
    Taylor - We finished 3rd

17/18

16/17

15/16

What's really intresting, in terms of the conversations on here, is none of them have scored 20 goals a season in back to back seasons apart from Billy Sharp.  And let's be honest he was only playing in league 1 because if was for Sheffield United. 

So as I said yesterday, who is a proven 20 goal a season league one striker? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

18/19
    Taylor - We finished 3rd

17/18

16/17

15/16

What's really intresting, in terms of the conversations on here, is none of them have scored 20 goals a season in back to back seasons apart from Billy Sharp.  And let's be honest he was only playing in league 1 because if was for Sheffield United. 

Also to be a proven scorer at any level you have to have done it over a few seasons, not just one.
  • Options
    He didn't do it every season and now isn't in L1 anyway, but Ian Henderson could be called a 20 goal a season L1 strike. 98 L1 goals (111 in total) for Rochdale in 6 L1 seasons is very consistent scoring in a mediocre team. Imagine how many he'd have scored playing for Peterborough
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

18/19
    Taylor - We finished 3rd

17/18

16/17

15/16

Mate, there’s a big list of them above 😂
  • Options
    The defining statement of this thread "it's not my job to come up with transfers targets it's not what I am paid to do"

I wholeheartedly agree. On such a basis why would I give a 2nd thought to much of the nonsense posted about players the vast majority I expect have barely seen in person.

In the face of the past 6 months so many expectations show alarmingly little deference to reality. We can all read Wikipedia, Transfermarkt, Soccerbase etc., or may have a mate who follows whatever club etc.,

In the midst of a global pandemic which has savaged the economy of the industry someone has stepped in to the save the club from the "knackers yard" to enable a viable competitive squad.

Is it perfect? No it is fucking not. Yet we have added in team order; 

1. Gunter - Reading, 2. Inniss - Crystal Palace,3. Famewo - Norwich, 4. Maatsen - Chelsea, 5. Gilbey - MK Dons, 6. Watson - Notts Forest, 7. Shinnie - Luton, 8. Smyth - QPR, 9. Maddison - Peterborough, 10. Washington - Hearts

- Gilbey hails from Dagenham
    - Washington was born in Chatham
    - Famewo was born in Lewisham and started at Luton
    - Watson is based in Beckenham and started at Palace 

11. Levitt - Man U, 12. Bogle - Cardiff are the exceptions with no links to the environs of London or the South.

It is a Covid 19 - Salary Cap recruitment programme. Minimal relocation costs (within Salary Cap) - minimal player family disruption yet with 6 or 7 on multi year contracts or including 1 year options we are seeing small steps to normality. 

In the circumstances it is an A minus grade for me.

There are 5 quality signings for a League 1 campaign:
    - Gunter, Gilbey, Watson, Shinnie, Maddison

There are 3 youngsters with real potential:
    - Famewo, Maasten and Levitt

There are 2 reclamation signings:
    - Washington, Bogle

There are 2 further players with things to prove:
    - Inniss and Smyth

Coming into this market after a relegation, months after the preparations of others and weeks after the market was open, in the space of 3 weeks it is a remarkable effort.

If you cannot respect such circumstances I suggest it says a great deal more about your understanding of the marketplace.

I agree the retention of Bonne and Phillips would have added notable value but quite simply this is about a new beginning.

The message is simple - if you are not signed up for the journey you are not needed here.

After 2yrs of begging and borrowing to construct squads - going forward it will be the club setting the agenda. We are in a period of transition.

As I have tried to point out there is a legacy situation here. YOU KNOW THE STORY. Month after month, as the divisions between the respective "executives" became ever more fractious, Administration grew ever more real.

With salary payments becoming ever more problematic, a large tax bill falling due and local creditors becoming evermore demanding if you do not think the prevailing decision makers did not give the nod to agents to test the market for their players you have never worked with a distressed business.

Expectations if not created were heightened. Pandoras' Box had been opened. You do not just get to stuff the expectations back in the box.

As for replacing Bonne if the right player was not there at the right price - he was not there at the right price. Gallen has 10/11 weeks to revisit the issue. Under the salary cap you most definitely only get to spend this money once.

The cost of a quality striker at that point over the remaining 4 month period may more easily fit under the total salary cap.

It is noticeable a number of loan signings elsewhere are just until January.

None of us know how our financial numbers look today.

What we do know is the club now has a "senior" squad of just 18 players. Thus the assertion you could have used the salary cap for 3 or 4 players on one striker is not only entirely speculative it further reduces your senior squad to 15/ 16. 

With 3 already injured, Aneke struggling to stay fit, Forster Caskey still off the pace and with Pearce (when fit) Pratley and even Williams struggling to play 2 games in a week the squad numbers would simply not be fit for purpose.

By my reckoning the club now has 47 players under professional contracts but even adding Maynard-Brewer, Maatsen, Levitt, Doughty, Morgan, Barker, Vennings and Davison to the mix perpetuates the default to "the next man standing" culture ingrained in the squad for years.

These lads have to compete to win their spot not be given it because there is no one else. Only two have the experience of a full first team campaign.

As of now there is a whole new team of players ready to pull on our shirt as we start a new journey. Those who did not want to travel the journey have made their choice. I genuinely wish them well.

Whether YOU wish to travel this journey, respecting where we have come from in such a short period, is entirely a matter for you.

I, for one, will most certainly be looking forward to seeing how we progress. No diversions, no distractions just, for the first time in 70 months, an aligned Executive and clubhouse to support in the pursuit of collective sporting success with all the usual bumps, bruises, successes and failures which will inevitably occur along the way. 

With respect if you cannot enjoy such a prospect in the middle of a global pandemic then I suggest it really is your problem.
    A great summary enjoyed as always, @Grapevine49. Gutted we can't fill The Valley yet for this new dawn, but we are still progressing as we head towards that day.

The dark cloud of empty football without fans feels similar to when we played in exile, hanging over us.

However, I'm grateful to see the games on VP for now.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Even Bowyer agrees that we haven't got a No 9. Oh dear.
    Maybe Williams can play as a 'false 9' like he did for Wales the other night. 

Bonne's wearing 7 for QPR - in my old school that's for Keegan or Dalgeish.
  • Options
    Very very disappointing window . I asked a simple question and all I got was slobbering over my girlfriend...

one last time

does a basic Valley Pass give me extended  highlights of all Charlton games?

how soon after a game does Valley Pass have extended highlights available?
    Not sure if you’ve already had an answer but here’s the answers.
    Yes, you do get extended highlights with Valley Gold membership.
    As to how soon they become available is a bit hit and miss.
    In past seasons it’s been mid to late afternoon on Monday for Saturday kick offs and next day mid afternoon for week day games.
    However.......they have been a bit here and there of late as there’s been a bit of inconsistency and I believe I’m right in saying on one or two occasions Saturday games have not become available until Tuesday!
    Let’s hope with the new regime that this will greatly improve as I believe the Coms team is somewhat under staffed at present.

Thing is, is that I want to see highlights or better still delayed coverage as soon as possible so I can enjoy the game before Looking at the results and reading post match analysis etc. Getting up at 3am on a Sunday to watch it live in NZ is a non starter (except for the play off final !!!). lots of reasons to be happy about living in NZ but getting good coverage of Charlton is not one of them.