Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Overseas travel during Covid-19 pandemic this summer?

Thought I'd set this up as a separate thread to the main Coronavirus one to see if anyone is planning this and for general thoughts about it. I am thinking of coming back to the UK when it settles down more there but air transport during this time concerns me quite a bit. Anyone flown recently or planning to? Here in Spain they're trying to do a big campaign to promote the country to international tourists, but it's clear the numbers will be hugely down this year. I guess there will be a lot of Brits holidaying in the UK this year. Anyone on here planning to go overseas over the summer?

Comments

• My son and his mates were planning a cultural visit to Amsterdam in July, but have decided any trips will be later in the year and staying in Britain. 
  • Meant to be going Greece at start of August. Get the impression holiday will go ahead as everything seems to be moving in the right direction.
  • Will likely rebook our Cyprus trip, cancelled this month, for October but waiting a month or so to see how things pan out first.
  • Expecting the travel corridors to be announced over the weekend and hoping to do usual three week trip to the South of France by ferry/car in three weeks time.
    Also got a trip to Murcia booked for late October. Hoping that air travel will have sorted itself out by then.
  • Good friend is an air steward and manned a plane last weekend (TUI, so I assume standard practice on board a plane):

- Passengers (over age 6) must wear a mask 100% of the time
    - No toilet queue, you must ask the stewards to put you down on a list and they call 1 by 1
    - No food or drinks
    - Staff in FULL PPE

I imagine the flight will be relatively quiet though

• Might end up doing a very Charlton-esque train trip into the South of France.
  • Had my Greece holiday cancelled so booked Malta for October. 

• edited June 2020
    Was going to Kos in August.  Got offer to rebook so pushed into next year.  However good progress looks now, we WILL get a second peak, just not sure when
  • Sponsored links:

• Good friend is an air steward and manned a plane last weekend (TUI, so I assume standard practice on board a plane):

- Passengers (over age 6) must wear a mask 100% of the time
    - No toilet queue, you must ask the stewards to put you down on a list and they call 1 by 1
    - No food or drinks
    - Staff in FULL PPE

I imagine the flight will be relatively quiet though

Nice way to start the holiday.

• Rescheduled our summer holiday in France until next year. Am due to be going to the Christmas market in Lille in December, am hoping we can still go.
  • Will likely rebook our Cyprus trip, cancelled this month, for October but waiting a month or so to see how things pan out first.
    Don't forget it gets dark very early that time of year, about 6-6:30.
  • Will probably looking to go to Northern Spain, San Sebastian and beyond in September.
    Depends on wether the virus is under control.
    All travel also depends on the Foreign office saying its o.k. to travel because as it currently stands insurance is invalid for countries not recommended by the F.O.      
  • edited June 2020
    Was meant to be at sister's place just outside Valencia for last two weeks - they were planning on moving out there permanently later in the summer.  Covid has delayed everything so our two weeks are now booked for September and their move pushed back closer to Christmas assuming they can sell their home here.
    Not overly concerned about the flight - I've survived working in a supermarket for the past 4 months!
  • My ex is flying to Portugal tomorrow for 2 weeks with the lad. I’m not 100% on it tbh and we’ve had words today about the fact I think they should probably quarantine when they get back for 14 days. 

I’m not too worried about him, as mentioned elsewhere he’s tested positive for antibodies. Should give him some sort of immunity. 

More worried that I tested negative and also he’s due to go to my dads and then away with mum to Suffolk starting 3 weeks after he gets back. 

Apparently only 20 people on their plane to Portugal. Crazy. 
  • My ex is flying to Portugal tomorrow for 2 weeks with the lad. I’m not 100% on it tbh and we’ve had words today about the fact I think they should probably quarantine when they get back for 14 days. 

I’m not too worried about him, as mentioned elsewhere he’s tested positive for antibodies. Should give him some sort of immunity. 

More worried that I tested negative and also he’s due to go to my dads and then away with mum to Suffolk starting 3 weeks after he gets back. 

Could be a problem with their insurance cover if they became ill.
  • Planning on going to Calpe at the end of September/beginning of October for a training week on the bike. Just about got it in a week before lockdown in March, suspect it'll be fine then too, provided we haven't had a second wave. Four cyclists in a villa who are too knackered to go out anywhere is probably about the safest holiday you can have 😂
  • Going nowhere for the foreseeable 
  • Americans not allowed to travel to the EU for the forseeable future and I assume the UK will follow suit. Hope to see you guys in 2021 when I'm hopefully allowed back in Europe :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Desperate to get back to England so my son can meet his grandad but can’t even consider it until Chinese borders are open again, which I doubt it going to happen this year. 
  • We are getting quite a lot of German tourists coming to Spain now. Will be interesting to see how many Brits end up coming this summer, especially those with houses here.

I would advise against going anywhere until the FCO travel advises changes. As John said above, travel insurance is not valid if the FCO travel advise advises all but essential travel

We are thinking about going somewhere in September but (as well as waiting to see what happens with the travel advice)we wil leave it to much nearer the tme to see what the situation is. We're thinking of driving to the South of France - not sure if taking the car on the train is an option instead of a ferry - is the air conditioning on the train any risk compared to a flight?
  • Quarantine rules expected to be lifted 6th July for European holidays except returning from Portugal and Sweden 

I would advise against going anywhere until the FCO travel advises changes. As John said above, travel insurance is not valid if the FCO travel advise advises all but essential travel

We are thinking about going somewhere in September but (as well as waiting to see what happens with the travel advice)we wil leave it to much nearer the tme to see what the situation is. We're thinking of driving to the South of France - not sure if taking the car on the train is an option instead of a ferry - is the air conditioning on the train any risk compared to a flight?
    I would have thought that taking the car on the Eurotunnel is a safer option of crossing the Channel than the ferry, as you won't come into contact with anyone else. 

I would have thought that taking the car on the Eurotunnel is a safer option of crossing the Channel than the ferry, as you won't come into contact with anyone else. 
    You can keep your distance from others on a ferry. I was more thinking of the air flow on the train compared to a flight, as one option is to fly then hire a car

You can keep your distance from others on a ferry. I was more thinking of the air flow on the train compared to a flight, as one option is to fly then hire a car
    You can keep your distance once you are upstairs but you still have to get from the car decks to the upper decks. 
    On the Eurotunnel you never leave your car. I wouldn't be worrying about circulating air.
    On a plane the circulated air gets filtered but you will still be in fairly close proximity to other passengers (wearing face masks). 

If you go by car via the tunnel you will be enclosed in your car so will not come in contact with anyone.

You can keep your distance once you are upstairs but you still have to get from the car decks to the upper decks. 
    On the Eurotunnel you never leave your car. I wouldn't be worrying about circulating air.
    On a plane the circulated air gets filtered but you will still be in fairly close proximity to other passengers (wearing face masks). 
    Thanks. Think we'll leave it to much nearer the time to see how things pan out but the train looks a possibility then
  • Started seeing a few tourists here now but nowhere near what it would be normally. Off to Alicante tomorrow and normally see lots of Brits there, some on way to or on day trip from Benidorm. Be interesting to see if there's many there this week. I read that Benidorm is trying to rebrand itself as being more attractive to Spanish tourists as most Spaniards will stay in the country themselves this year.