Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Overseas travel during Covid-19 pandemic this summer?

Comments

• Well, that’s our French vineyard holiday in September up the swanee! Going to look at what’s available here in the UK now.
  • Swisdom said:

Holidaymakers Returning From France Will Have To Quarantine For 14 Days, Government Announces

The Netherlands, Monaco, Malta, Turks & Caicos and Aruba have also been added to the quarantine list from 4am on Saturday

Not decided what we are going to do. May now just go for a week as that means the kids only miss 2/3 days as opposed to 2 weeks.

fuck you covid 
    Updated:
    13 August 2020
    Latest update:

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to France, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to France (including Corsica). This is based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. Check separate travel advice pages for overseas territories of France.

The FCO is not advising those already travelling in France to leave at this time

• Swisdom said:

Holidaymakers Returning From France Will Have To Quarantine For 14 Days, Government Announces

The Netherlands, Monaco, Malta, Turks & Caicos and Aruba have also been added to the quarantine list from 4am on Saturday

Not decided what we are going to do. May now just go for a week as that means the kids only miss 2/3 days as opposed to 2 weeks.

fuck you covid 
    Updated:
    13 August 2020
    Latest update:

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to France, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to France (including Corsica). This is based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. Check separate travel advice pages for overseas territories of France.

The FCO is not advising those already travelling in France to leave at this time

I had been hoping to go ,not look at Charton Life whilst away (unlikely) and come back to find we had new owners and were still in the Championship and Sheffield Wednesday had been relegated!
  • The summer holiday season in Europe has been a bit of a disaster really. Rising levels of Covid bringing the return of lockdowns and restrictions
  • Booked last year via Mercury Direct, to return to The Maldives on 26 Aug - now cancelled. Told we will get a full refund in due course. Not seeking an alternative overseas holiday until things improve on the pandemic front.
  • I have had my 4 night trip to Benidorm on 14th September cancelled by BA, money refunded without any problems within a week. Booked a caravan on Hayling island for a few days now. Hopefully weather will be ok.
  • Feel sorry for people caught up in this and quarantines from other countries but really can’t see why people are still going abroad at the moment. I love and look forward to our summer holiday as much as anyone else but wouldn’t contemplate it this year. Not so much about contracting it but more about restrictions once you’re out there and last minute situations like this. To me, it’s not a holiday if you spend half your time thinking/worrying about things.
    I get what you are saying but we are isolating out there anyway.  It's a home away from home just with our wn pool and fields around us.  We won't interact with anyone whilst there apart from a shopkeeper twice a week.  We are driving all the way there and back.

@PrincessFiona This has been an absolute dick of a year and I really need a break with my family in a change of scenery.  We have let this pandemic change so much about our lives already and I have decided we wil go away and we will have a rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Feel sorry for people caught up in this and quarantines from other countries but really can’t see why people are still going abroad at the moment. I love and look forward to our summer holiday as much as anyone else but wouldn’t contemplate it this year. Not so much about contracting it but more about restrictions once you’re out there and last minute situations like this. To me, it’s not a holiday if you spend half your time thinking/worrying about things.
    couldn't agree more. It's why we decided to forget Cyprus this year. Our friends were disappointed (might have just been saying that) but we made the right decision.
  • Also struggle to understand anyone booking to go abroad now. If you want rest/isolation etc, there are plenty of places in the UK that will offer that without the risks associated with foreign travel. And it will help OUR economy. And I love a jaunt abroad.
  • Last week went down to Dawlish Warren,Devon for the week Saturday to Saturday.

Cost of the holiday camp, food and drink (even with discount mon-fri) and rubbish weather reminded us why we love all inclusive holidays in the sun.

That is why people want to go abroad.

• I don’t mind the 14 days quarantine on my return to France but concerns now that France might retaliate and say anybody arriving in France from the UK will have to quarantine for 14 days which would make my trip pointless. 
  • Is Croatia okay at the moment?
  • Solidgone said:
    Is Croatia okay at the moment?
    The Austrian government has today put Croatia on the highest travel warning level. It’s one of the most popular holiday destinations here being right next door, but many news cases are being brought back. Stay away!
  • Singapore may have to consider replacing the two-week isolation period with a "rigorous testing regime" for arriving travellers, as part of efforts to "revive" the country's air hub, said Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung.

In a Facebook video on Friday (Aug 14), Mr Ong said that the decline in international air travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has seen Singapore drop from its position as the 7th busiest airport in the world in terms of international passenger traffic.

It is now in 50th place, with just 150 aircraft movements per day, compared to more than 1,000 a day previously. 

• Swisdom said:
    Feel sorry for people caught up in this and quarantines from other countries but really can’t see why people are still going abroad at the moment. I love and look forward to our summer holiday as much as anyone else but wouldn’t contemplate it this year. Not so much about contracting it but more about restrictions once you’re out there and last minute situations like this. To me, it’s not a holiday if you spend half your time thinking/worrying about things.
    I get what you are saying but we are isolating out there anyway.  It's a home away from home just with our wn pool and fields around us.  We won't interact with anyone whilst there apart from a shopkeeper twice a week.  We are driving all the way there and back.

@PrincessFiona This has been an absolute dick of a year and I really need a break with my family in a change of scenery.  We have let this pandemic change so much about our lives already and I have decided we wil go away and we will have a rest.
    The travel.advice has been changed after a lot of consideration and for good reasons. I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad time but there is a risk it will get worse. I hope neither you, nor your friends or family (or anyone else that you may not even know you come into contact with) end up having a 'rest' in hospital or 'elsewhere'. 

If you intend to go to France, the decision has been made you shouldn't go. It is 't  just the quarantine but the change to all but essential travel. However had it's been, a holiday is not 'essential'
  • edited August 2020
    Swisdom said:
    Feel sorry for people caught up in this and quarantines from other countries but really can’t see why people are still going abroad at the moment. I love and look forward to our summer holiday as much as anyone else but wouldn’t contemplate it this year. Not so much about contracting it but more about restrictions once you’re out there and last minute situations like this. To me, it’s not a holiday if you spend half your time thinking/worrying about things.

The travel.advice has been changed after a lot of consideration and for good reasons. I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad time but there is a risk it will get worse. I hope neither you, nor your friends or family (or anyone else that you may not even know you come into contact with) end up having a 'rest' in hospital or 'elsewhere'. 

If you intend to go to France, the decision has been made you shouldn't go. It is 't  just the quarantine but the change to all but essential travel. However had it's been, a holiday is not 'essential'
    How are you going to get there, and back -  by teleportation or on a plane, train or ferry and driving?

Obviously your travel insurance won't be valid because of theTA but if you are taking your own car, you should check your motor insurance isn't invalid as well for the same reasons.
  • edited August 2020
    The Government should have brought in the quarantine rule from midnight last night. We've now got the ridiculous situation where people are rushing to get home before 4am tomorrow and cramming onto any available form of Channel crossing. If quarantine is needed, then the need is the same today, as it is tomorrow. Anyone travelling in the last 3 weeks would have known of the risks. 

• Sponsored links:

• Redskin said:
    Also struggle to understand anyone booking to go abroad now. If you want rest/isolation etc, there are plenty of places in the UK that will offer that without the risks associated with foreign travel. And it will help OUR economy. And I love a jaunt abroad.
    The 'risks' of travelling abroad are no greater than travelling in the UK.
    That is a sweeping statement. Depends where you are travelling and how
  • Redskin said:
    Also struggle to understand anyone booking to go abroad now. If you want rest/isolation etc, there are plenty of places in the UK that will offer that without the risks associated with foreign travel. And it will help OUR economy. And I love a jaunt abroad.

I’ve not seen any instructions to quarantine for two weeks if you’ve been to the Lake District or New Forest as an example?

• Redskin said:
    You're probably in more 'danger' of going to Leicester than Bergerac where I was hoping to go until the government made their idiotic decision which the French then felt obliged to match.
  • Redskin said:

I’ve not seen any instructions to quarantine for two weeks if you’ve been to the Lake District or New Forest as an example?

Edit - to clarify I mean the risk associated with the govt mitigation - quarantine etc. Not the risk of contracting the virus.
  • Applying quarantine to whole countries is a nonsense, scientifically and economically. 
  • Dear Mr Grant Shapps and Chancellor Rishi Sunak,
    As we are sure you are aware, the last few months have been catastrophic for the UK travel industry. Since March we have the seen the collapse of household names such as Flybe, Shearings and Cruise and Maritime Voyages, while numerous smaller firms have also failed – all as a direct result of the coronavirus crisis.

A conservative estimate suggests at least 12,000 jobs have already been lost and at least a further 24,000 jobs are now at risk from travel companies that have already announced plans to axe roles.

The reality is far more stark. Hundreds of thousands of jobs in the travel sector will be lost, unless urgent financial support is provided.

This industry is unique – barely any money has entered the sector since the coronavirus crisis began, but a lot has been paid out due to the huge numbers of refund claims. Many travel professionals have been working with no salary coming in for months as businesses worked to sort out customers who had holidays booked. This situation is simply not sustainable.

The UK travel industry - including both the outbound leisure and business travel sectors, worth an estimated £37.1bn to the UK economy, and the inbound sector, worth an estimated £28bn to the Uk economy - is calling on you to recognise the urgent plight of this sector. We urge you to recognise that while most other industries have been able to restart, overseas travel stalled in the wake of the decision to revoke Spain’s travel corridor, which has once again shaken consumer confidence, while inbound tourism has been similarly shackled by quarantine requirements. Business for much of the sector now remains at a standstill.

The #SaveTravel campaign, led by TTG Media, is urging the government to:

• Provide direct sector specific support for the UK travel industry and companies operating within it (such as SMEs like travel agents and tour operators, not just airlines), which might include an extension to the furlough scheme. Without this, the country will see thousands of company failures and hundreds of thousands of job losses.

• Consider a holiday on Air Passenger Duty until the end of August 2021, to help with pricing and encourage consumers to start booking holidays again. The hospitality sector has been aided by the Eat Out to Help Out scheme. The travel industry is urgently requesting similar support from government too.

• Commit to providing more advance notice of changes to destinations’ quarantine statuses. Giving the travel industry just six hours’ notice on Saturday night before the new Spain rules came into force caused huge confusion and anxiety for passengers, which the travel industry was left to sort out. Businesses cannot be run with such little planning and notice. Advance warning of destinations that may be “in the red zone” or are about to be switched off – and transparency on how decisions are being taken - is a necessity for the travel industry if businesses are to survive.

The travel sector is all too aware of the pressures and complexities of the crisis facing this country, and wants to do all it can to help protect British citizens.

But right now an entire sector is facing a catastrophic future, unless urgent help is provided.

The travel industry is urging you to consider these three measures to help ensure its survival.

Yours sincerely,
    TTG Media and the #SaveTravel Campaign 
  • Redskin said:
    Redskin said:
    You're probably in more 'danger' of going to Leicester than Bergerac where I was hoping to go until the government made their idiotic decision which the French then felt obliged to match.
    But then you wouldn't chose to go there either.  Unfortunately it is really possible to word it that it is ok if you are in self- catering accommodation, in a certain part of the country etc So, as with many things, it has to cover all eventualities. Everyone knew this was a risk and likely to happen
  • People who call for regional quarantine instead of national, have not addressed the issue of people who lie. You could book a flight to region a and back, but actually you then travel to region b  which is under quarantine. Whole country solutions the only way, or no quarantine at all.
  • Interesting that none of the towns (as far as I'm aware) which have had mini lockdowns in the UK are tourist destinations.

So far, we haven't seen major spikes as a result of crowded beaches