Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overseas travel during Covid-19 pandemic this summer?

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Currently in the south of France (Gers) and I must say the wearing of masks is immaculately observed. Every shop has sanitiser upon entry and all shop staff wearing masks too.

far better than UK to be honest.

glad we came in the end as we are spending quality time together, the weather is amazing and the isolation here is more remote than at home.

That doesn't surprise me but I just wouldn't travel to any country if the FCO advice is all but essential travel. You're lucky you are all in a position to quarantine fully on return. We'd struggle with not being able to go to for shopping etc (as my partner's parents aren't able to go out)
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Currently in the south of France (Gers) and I must say the wearing of masks is immaculately observed. Every shop has sanitiser upon entry and all shop staff wearing masks too.

far better than UK to be honest.

glad we came in the end as we are spending quality time together, the weather is amazing and the isolation here is more remote than at home.

We are still looking at options. I am fortunate that I my work will understand if I have booked somewhere that did not need quarantine when I booked but subsequently changed. So I am not concerned so much about being overseas if the FCO advice/quarantine situation changes from that point of view. Although I don't want to be anywhere where the FCO TA is all but essential travel, but of course it is different if I am already there. Another concern is the validity of motor insurance if we have taken our own vehicle, should the TA change once we have traveled with it.

Not sure if you have taken your own car, but if so, can you advise about motor insurance and if your insurers confirmed your motor insurance was still valid with all but essential travel
  • Options
    Been in Crete (north, central coast) for the past week and it’s been a mixed bag in terms of tourist numbers. 

Chania (second city/town) that we visited first was pretty busy, they have a 12 o’clock curfew which was killing the business for lots of the bars as they would normally be going until the wee hours but the curfew is strictly enforced and there are large fines for non-compliance. Georgiopolis, a little beach resort that we’ve spent most of our week in is very quiet and the conversations I’ve had with locals are pretty depressing - lots of businesses will close after this season, unlikely to reopen (I don’t really know what to say when they tell me that). Heading to Heraklion, the capital, tomorrow and not sure what to expect - I guess as it isn’t as reliant on tourism Covid shouldn’t have as big an impact.

For those that haven’t been, Crete is a really beautiful place - this is Lake Kournas that we visited/swam/peddaloed/turtle bothered in a couple of days ago:

• Options
    Was at a (virtual) presentation on the effect on tourism of Covid, and in a poll of the audience only 4% had gone abroad this summer
  • Options
    Was at a (virtual) presentation on the effect on tourism of Covid, and in a poll of the audience only 4% had gone abroad this summer
    What would it normally be though?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    What would it normally be though?
    No idea, but I'd guess it would be at least 50%, considering that this was a presentation to accountants, so people reasonably well off
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    This will be the first year since I met my wife that we haven't had a a summer holiday abroad. We have booked a chalet in Wimborne for a week but finding it hard to get too excited about it. 
  • Options
    Off to the Algarve to visit a mate on the 7th September. Hope to get the Crewe defeat for a fiver.
  • Options
    Should have arrived in The Maldives today 😬😬
  • Options
    This is a tragic accident https://trendswide.com/british-grandfather-43-is-in-induced-coma-in-tenerife-after-breaking-his-neck-diving-into-the-pool/

There is no mention of travel insurance. Maybe he didn't even have it or did but it is invalid as they travelled to Tenerife when the FCO travel advice was 'all but essential travel'.

It is good that they have raised their target funds but having done consular work, it is a worrying trend that people risk having no (or invalid) insurance as the solution is Go Fund me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is a tragic accident https://trendswide.com/british-grandfather-43-is-in-induced-coma-in-tenerife-after-breaking-his-neck-diving-into-the-pool/

There is no mention of travel insurance. Maybe he didn't even have it or did but it is invalid as they travelled to Tenerife when the FCO travel advice was 'all but essential travel'.

It is good that they have raised their target funds but having done consular work, it is a worrying trend that people risk having no (or invalid) insurance as the solution is Go Fund me.
    It might sound very harsh but the bloke’s an irresponsible dickhead.
  • Options

It might sound very harsh but the bloke’s an irresponsible dickhead.

As is anyone who doesn't have travel insurance or where it is not valid because of the FCOD travel advice. But people seem to think Go Fund  Me will bail them out
  • Options
    I’ve just been to Paphos, Cyprus. Had to have a C-19 test before travel (72hours) at a cost of £129. Paphos was very quiet with lots of bars and restaurants closed but those there are enough open with sufficient space. Strict rules for restaurant and bar staff to wear masks. Actually saw a police check in a restaurant and pulled one of the staff For having her mask below her nose. She was let off with a caution. As eating Zand eating is outdoors then tourists don’t wear masks. Only on entry into a shop should one be worn. Although shop owners don’t normally say anything (they need your custom) I’ve heard that if your caught without a mask there is a serious fine. Not sure if tourists are aware of this.  
  • Options
    Travelled back to Madrid from Budapest via Amsterdam at the weekend after being in Hungary for last two months. Both Budapest and Madrid airports very quiet but Amsterdam incredibly busy - seems to be where everyone is transferring in the absence of direct flights between many places. Had to complete forms to enter both Amsterdam and Madrid, but Hungary is strictest by far with no foreigners allowed in at all now.
  • Options
    Travelled back to Madrid from Budapest via Amsterdam at the weekend after being in Hungary for last two months. Both Budapest and Madrid airports very quiet but Amsterdam incredibly busy - seems to be where everyone is transferring in the absence of direct flights between many places. Had to complete forms to enter both Amsterdam and Madrid, but Hungary is strictest by far with no foreigners allowed in at all now.
    The Dutch I know who live here, don't seem to think anything applies to them (rules or risks) and those who have holiday homes here, have been coming and going throughout the whole thing.  I know a couple who have a holiday complex and they've been full to the brim since the restrictions were lifted here. I follow their Facebook page and they've shared photos of communal BBQ's (20 to 30 people) with only a few people wearing masks.

Appreciate this is a generalisation, but it does seem to be the case
  • Options
    Been reading a lot about Madrid in the last couple of days. Does sound like a political battle between local and national government is begging to play out. What’s the public opinion over there, should Madrid lockdown again?
  • Options
     And back from Florence week last Sunday in the evening after having flown out early Thursday morning. 

Florence is very nearly empty, everything is open with no curfew, everyone is very careful with masks and hand sanitiser.

Did fear the invoice plane a bit. True to form in the way out, no checks on the way into London City (we drove), we had to fill in forms with our details and where we were going to stay in Italy that we had to hand before being allowed on the plane. 

No food on the plane, anyone not wearing a mask properly was reminded, with offer of spares if needed, to put them on throughout the short flight.

on way back everyone was temperature checked before entering the airport. There was no requirement to fill in forms (although there was a suggestion we should do it inline, I eventually found the site and failed to fill in the forms as the details required made no sense. No one checked when we arrived we had filled them in and no one has checked since:shambolic really.

• Options
    Wanted to take the mrs away for her birthday during half term...fancied Krakow as never been and meant to be great but Polands cases are at an all time high...a few people mentioned Jersey is quite relaxed and wouldn't be a bad substitue. Thing is 3 weeks is a long time with this virus so it'll have to be last minute either way. We went to Santorini in mid August and was absolutely brilliant but as soon as I got back I've been craving a holiday abroad again. Was meant to be going to Belgium in November for the England game but thats looking like a washout 100% :(
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Off to Paris and Disneyland on Thursday. It's the missus birthday. Basically, there seems to be covid everywhere now, so what the hey.
  • Options
     And back from Florence week last Sunday in the evening after having flown out early Thursday morning. 

Florence is very nearly empty, everything is open with no curfew, everyone is very careful with masks and hand sanitiser.

Did fear the invoice plane a bit. True to form in the way out, no checks on the way into London City (we drove), we had to fill in forms with our details and where we were going to stay in Italy that we had to hand before being allowed on the plane. 

No food on the plane, anyone not wearing a mask properly was reminded, with offer of spares if needed, to put them on throughout the short flight.

on way back everyone was temperature checked before entering the airport. There was no requirement to fill in forms (although there was a suggestion we should do it inline, I eventually found the site and failed to fill in the forms as the details required made no sense. No one checked when we arrived we had filled them in and no one has checked since:shambolic really.

Is Italy on the quarantine list now? I can't keep up with who is or not.
    I guess plane carriers will have all passengers details but it seems odd that checks are not being done on forms. Surely the whole tracing system will not work if details are not recorded 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Been reading a lot about Madrid in the last couple of days. Does sound like a political battle between local and national government is begging to play out. What’s the public opinion over there, should Madrid lockdown again?
    Opinion seems to be very different here depending on which side of the political spectrum people are on, as well as which area they live as some areas are now in lockdown type measures (though not as strict as before) whilst others are not. I can see more city wide restrictions coming in but not a return to the full lockdown of before where we basically couldn't go out for months.

Personally I am mostly hoping they don't stop children being outside or close all the parks like before as we have come back now from Hungary with our newly adopted daughter and coming from a place with few restrictions to very strict measures and little contact with anyone will be very hard on her.
  • Options
    Off to Paris and Disneyland on Thursday. It's the missus birthday. Basically, there seems to be covid everywhere now, so what the hey.
    I flew back from Paris Charles de Gaulle to Bristol 2 weeks ago.

Both airports were very well organised and half empty.
    Everybody seemed to observe social distancing; plus there were plenty of staff to monitor and advise.
    The plane was less than half full and I had 3 seats to myself.

I'd been staying with GF's family in Paris 20eme arrondissement  - and was a bit concerned the 26 bus would be crowded, but it wasn't. Gare du Nord wasn't a problem either, and while it was busier on the RER train to the airport, people kept their distance.

I'd avoid the Metro in the rush hour, but providing you keep your awareness, other times shouldn't be a problem.
    But it's law to wear a mask at all times, even in the street.

Enjoy your trip, @ken_shabby.

PS: Don't forget the quarantine requirement on your return to the UK. Today is my last day of 'house arrest'. 
    Tomorrow I'm a free man!
  • Options

I guess plane carriers will have all passengers details but it seems odd that checks are not being done on forms. Surely the whole tracing system will not work if details are not recorded 
    No Italy are not on the list atm and have quite low cases across the country as far as I am aware.

When I finally found the online form it asked me where we had been at great length. I confirmed that we had been to Florence, Italy and had stayed there, I gave. The hotel address and the flight details in and out.

It then asked me where I was going to quarantine for the next 14 days in the UK at which point t I gave up. They have enough information to contact me if they need to.

• Options
    My daughter is going to Cyprus on Wednesday. No quarantine issues but has cost her £109 for a virus test which she hopes to get tomorrow. Fingers crossed she is negative otherwise it will be £400 wasted. 

Don't think I will bother until next summer now even if it is 31 degrees in Cyprus at the moment.
  • Options

No Italy are not on the list atm and have quite low cases across the country as far as I am aware.

When I finally found the online form it asked me where we had been at great length. I confirmed that we had been to Florence, Italy and had stayed there, I gave. The hotel address and the flight details in and out.

It then asked me where I was going to quarantine for the next 14 days in the UK at which point t I gave up. They have enough information to contact me if they need to.

Be interested to know if anybody actually  gets checked up on in quarantine. 
  • Options

Be interested to know if anybody actually  gets checked up on in quarantine
    I don't believe it's about getting "checked up on" in quarantine ...... but you must contact them/report it if you do feel unwell.
    The other passengers on your flight are contacted and advised.

Conversely, if a passenger on your flight reports a suspected Covid case, the Government agency will contact and advise you.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I don't believe it's about getting "checked up on" in quarantine ...... but you must contact them/report it if you do feel unwell.

Conversely, if a passenger on your flight reports a suspected Covid case, the Government agency will contact and advise you.

I worked with a fella at the weekend who's just arrived back from Ibiza. No self quarantine he didn't give a toss.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I worked with a fella at the weekend who's just arrived back from Ibiza. No self quarantine he didn't give a toss.
    Well, there's too many sh*t for brains tossers around.

Why should he worry about who he might infect? 
  • Options
    Worth checking if your travel insurance is valid first
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Well, there's too many sh*t for brains tossers around.

Why should he worry about who he might infect? 
    One of the main reasons the number of cases keeps going up