Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overseas travel during Covid-19 pandemic this summer?

Comments

• Options
    My daughter is going to Cyprus on Wednesday. No quarantine issues but has cost her £109 for a virus test which she hopes to get tomorrow. Fingers crossed she is negative otherwise it will be £400 wasted. 

Don't think I will bother until next summer now even if it is 31 degrees in Cyprus at the moment.
    We looked at going there but were concerned we'd pay for the test and not get it back in time. I hope she does

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
     And back from Florence week last Sunday in the evening after having flown out early Thursday morning. 

Florence is very nearly empty, everything is open with no curfew, everyone is very careful with masks and hand sanitiser.

Did fear the invoice plane a bit. True to form in the way out, no checks on the way into London City (we drove), we had to fill in forms with our details and where we were going to stay in Italy that we had to hand before being allowed on the plane. 

No food on the plane, anyone not wearing a mask properly was reminded, with offer of spares if needed, to put them on throughout the short flight.

on way back everyone was temperature checked before entering the airport. There was no requirement to fill in forms (although there was a suggestion we should do it inline, I eventually found the site and failed to fill in the forms as the details required made no sense. No one checked when we arrived we had filled them in and no one has checked since:shambolic really.

Is Italy on the quarantine list now? I can't keep up with who is or not.
    I guess plane carriers will have all passengers details but it seems odd that checks are not being done on forms. Surely the whole tracing system will not work if details are not recorded 
    No Italy are not on the list atm and have quite low cases across the country as far as I am aware.

When I finally found the online form it asked me where we had been at great length. I confirmed that we had been to Florence, Italy and had stayed there, I gave. The hotel address and the flight details in and out.

It then asked me where I was going to quarantine for the next 14 days in the UK at which point t I gave up. They have enough information to contact me if they need to.

Be interested to know if anybody actually  gets checked up on in quarantine
    I don't believe it's about getting "checked up on" in quarantine ...... but you must contact them/report it if you do feel unwell.
    The other passengers on your flight are contacted and advised.

Conversely, if a passenger on your flight reports a suspected Covid case, the Government agency will contact and advise you.

I worked with a fella at the weekend who's just arrived back from Ibiza. No self quarantine he didn't give a toss.

Report him? For the sake of others he could infect and who could infect even more people
  • Options
    Off to Paris and Disneyland on Thursday. It's the missus birthday. Basically, there seems to be covid everywhere now, so what the hey.
    Worth checking if your travel insurance is valid first
    Very unlikely unless negotiated to allow travelling against FCO advice. 
  • Options
    Currently in Spain, been here for 3 weeks so far on the south coast between Malaga and Gibraltar. Pretty much everyone keeping to the mask wearing rule as police very hot on giving out fines. Most, but not all, bars open although it is pretty quite (which is good) and expect a lot will close come October.
    Quarentine on return not a problem as just retired. Took out travel insurance that covers travel against FCO advice, bit more expensive but worth it. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Off to Paris and Disneyland on Thursday. It's the missus birthday. Basically, there seems to be covid everywhere now, so what the hey.
    Worth checking if your travel insurance is valid first
    Very unlikely unless negotiated to allow travelling against FCO advice. 
    Yes, just giving friendly advice to check/be aware etc. It's not just about covid, there are other risks. And/but you can get special insurance

• Options
    Flying to Bodrum this Sunday, unless things change. Weather looks good and not on the quarantine list either.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Croydon said:
    Flying to Bodrum this Sunday, unless things change. Weather looks good and not on the quarantine list either.
    That was short lived! Removed from the exempt list as the gov thinks Turkey have been lying about their figures.

If FCO advise changes to 'no non essential travel', does anyone know what that means for refunds? It was a package holiday, paid for on a credit card, so I'm hoping there's some cover somewhere.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    That was short lived! Removed from the exempt list as the gov thinks Turkey have been lying about their figures.

If FCO advise changes to 'no non essential travel', does anyone know what that means for refunds? It was a package holiday, paid for on a credit card, so I'm hoping there's some cover somewhere.
    The companies will give you an option for hotel and transfer refunds, if the airline cancel you get this back also, but if the airline and some are, persist in flying you lose that element of your holiday money. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

The companies will give you an option for hotel and transfer refunds, if the airline cancel you get this back also, but if the airline and some are, persist in flying you lose that element of your holiday money. 
    Not correct - sorry. if this is booked as a package, then @Croydon is legally entitled to a full refund, which should be paid within 14 days. As its a package, the package provider cannot differentiate between different component elements of the holiday.

That's the legal position. 

Given the circumstances, 14 days may not be achieved, and the holiday provider may offer a Refund Credit Note for future travel (which is as protected as a firm booking) or a credit for future travel at a higher value than the original booking.

There are some travel providers who are acting in the way you describe, but if its a package, a full refund of all elements is (and will eventually) have to be provided.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Not correct - sorry. if this is booked as a package, then @Croydon is legally entitled to a full refund, which should be paid within 14 days. As its a package, the package provider cannot differentiate between different component elements of the holiday.

Given the circumstances, 14 days may not be achieved, and the holiday provider may offer a Refund Credit Note for future travel (which is as protected as a firm booking) or a credit for future travel at a higher value than the original booking.

There are some travel providers who are acting in the way you describe, but if its a package, a full refund of all elements is (and will eventually) have to be provided.
    Thought that might be the case. Cheers!
  • Options
    Was hoping to go the Venice this month, instead staying in a chalet with Hottub in Bournemouth from today in the middle of Storm 'Alex'! Life is better in Italy right now as they are much closer to normality but I don't think flying is a good idea.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

The FCO are unlikely to change to 'all but essential travel' as it is 'just' the need to quarantine. I may ask the Desk Officer myself as am going to Dalaman and Gocek 2 weeks tomorrow. Travel insurance should still be valid (depending on the policy of course) as the FCO advice is not advising all but essential travel
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

The FCO are unlikely to change to 'all but essential travel' as it is 'just' the need to quarantine. I may ask the Desk Officer myself as am going to Dalaman and Gocek 2 weeks tomorrow. Travel insurance should still be valid (depending on the policy of course) as the FCO advice is not advising all but essential travel
    FCO is advising against all but essential travel to Turkey.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

If you dont mind me asking, who did you book with (travel agent and / or Tour operator?) that might influence the response you will get...(not that this will change the legal position).

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Is it? I'd better check then, thanks
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Looks like we won't be going as our travel insurance won't be valid.  We booked a package with BA in case this happened, so we would get a full refund. Can't see anything changing in the next 2 weeks

I really hadn't appreciated that this change meant 'all but essential travel' so it just shows how confusing it all is.

I did look up what quarantining entailed as was surprised that yo can't even go out to exercise a dog |(when even if you didn't wear a mask I would have thought the risk of transmission was v low) whereas other people you live with, who didn't travel with you, don't need to quarantine with you, when I'd have the thought the risk of transmission was high and then onwards transmission by them (going about shopping, working etc.) higher than you just walking the dog
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Looks like we won't be going as our travel insurance won't be valid.  We booked a package with BA in case this happened, so we would get a full refund. Can't see anything changing in the next 2 weeks

I really hadn't appreciated that this change meant 'all but essential travel' so it just shows how confusing it all is.

I did look up what quarantining entailed as was surprised that yo can't even go out to exercise a dog |(when even if you didn't wear a mask I would have thought the risk of transmission was v low) whereas other people you live with, who didn't travel with you, don't need to quarantine with you, when I'd have the thought the risk of transmission was high and then onwards transmission by them (going about shopping, working etc.) higher than you just walking the dog
    BA will be keen to keep your booking, and the economies of the world need people travelling where it is safe to do so - see what alternative destinations BA can offer rather than simply take the refund...
  • Options
    I've heard there are policies that cover covid more widely. Does anyone know anything about these? From what I have heard from people travelling to Turkey recently, we are not concerned about Turkey per se, so would consider still going as long as we can get travel insurance cover.
  • Options
    I've heard there are policies that cover covid more widely. Does anyone know anything about these? From what I have heard from people travelling to Turkey recently, we are not concerned about Turkey per se, so would consider still going as long as we can get travel insurance cover.
    I believe Trailfinders are offering travel insurance with Covid cover. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plenty are offering it - go to https://www.holidayextras.com/ for a view on what's available.
  • Options
    Thanks SR19 and SA, we'll take a look
  • Options
    I believe Trailfinders are offering travel insurance with Covid cover. 
    Trailfinders page says 
    Please note there is no cover for the entire duration of your trip if you commence travel contrary to FCO Advice.
  • Options
    Plenty are offering it - go to https://www.holidayextras.com/ for a view on what's available.

*Please note that our policies do not provide cancellation cover for a change in FCO advice due to COVID-19 or other pandemics.

Some of our policies will provide cancellation cover if you contract COVID-19 but this is only for those insured on the policy.

If you require further clarity please speak to one of the Holiday Extras team.

- I'll give them a call in case they can cover the trip

• Options
    Our area in France (Correze) is on Covid alert from the 5th,  whatever that means
  • Options
    From Which?

However, there are some insurers who will cover trips to destinations with FCO warnings – including many that have recently added this element as a response to the pandemic.

Avanti and Staysure have both launched cover for countries on the FCO’s ‘all but essential travel’ list, but only for claims not relating to coronavirus. This means if you have a policy with Staysure, you’d still be able to claim for lost luggage in France, say.

Insurefor launched its own FCO warning cover, which goes a step further by including coronavirus-related claims. This is only available for destinations in Europe.

Insurance startup Battleface – set up initially to insure people whose work takes them to dangerous places, such as journalists covering war zones – has seen a surge in custom from holidaymakers. Its policies provide medical expenses cover if you catch coronavirus while you’re abroad.

Battleface has also teamed up with Holiday Extras to sell cover for countries with FCO warnings in place.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/09/coronavirus-what-it-means-for-your-travel-insurance/ - Which?
  • Options
    Sounds like great fun trying to get a holiday abroad.
    Is it all really worrh it?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Sounds like great fun trying to get a holiday abroad.
    Is it all really worrh it?
    Good question. I hadn't even seen Turkey on the list of possible changes, although I did wonder if their figures were 'accurate'. But once booked, might as well look at getting a valid travel insurance policy than not go
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

If you dont mind me asking, who did you book with (travel agent and / or Tour operator?) that might influence the response you will get...(not that this will change the legal position).

On the beach. They are claiming that it's not a package, despite paying for it all through the same provider, in one transaction. They've said they can't refund the flights.

I spoke with my insurance and they were adamant that OTB should be offering a full refund.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

On the beach. They are claiming that it's not a package, despite paying for it all through the same provider, in one transaction. They've said they can't refund the flights.

I spoke with my insurance and they were adamant that OTB should be offering a full refund.
    OK, slightly more complex for the reasons stated in the attached:-

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/09/love-holidays-follows-on-the-beach-in-quitting-travel-trade-asso/