Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overseas travel during Covid-19 pandemic this summer?

Comments

• Options
    Mrs sunbury trying to book a break for next week, hopefully the Dubrovnink trip we had cancelled in April.
  • Options
    Am waiting for the travel advice to change first before even considering travelling
  • Options
    Due to pay the balance of my holiday to the South of France, departing 17 July, tomorrow.
    I wish the Government would just hurry up and make a decision/announcement.
  • Options
    My son flew to Portugal this morning for a week in Vilamoura, he said it's quiet but most places are open. I'm driving down tomorrow and meeting up with him on sunday. Be handy if we don't have to isolate on our return but not an issue for us if we have to 
  • Options
    Good luck to you all trying to get away.
    If it does go tits up though and you have trouble getting a refund you could be in for a very long wait.
    Been waiting 3 1/2 months and been told by Barclaycard it could be another 2 months.
  • Options
    Had two weeks to Turkey in August have pushed this back to next year. 

My current job involves oversea travel, have been told this won’t be happening until there is a vaccine available and this seems to be the same for all of my clients. 

As the only people I know who have contracted Covid 19 did so soon after flying I am in no rush to  board a plane anytime soon. 
  • Options
    So far had a 
    a wedding in Murcia in May this year - moved it to next year 
    a long weekend in nice end of July - moved to to end of September 
    am going over to Ireland for a week instead end of July - taking my clubs and playing a few rounds. 
  • Options
    Meant to be going Puglia in mid August. Staying in a villa out there. Looks like it’s going to happen but I am the only one who is dreading going out of the 6 of us going. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    My son flew to Portugal this morning for a week in Vilamoura, he said it's quiet but most places are open. I'm driving down tomorrow and meeting up with him on sunday. Be handy if we don't have to isolate on our return but not an issue for us if we have to 
    Countries just announced and TA will change tomorrow. Mainland Portugal not on the list (so be mindful of travel insurance not being valid), which is:
    1EuropeAustria
    2EuropeAndorra
    3EuropeBelgium
    4EuropeCroatia
    5EuropeCyprus
    6EuropeCzech Republic
    7EuropeDenmark
    8EuropeEstonia
    9EuropeFinland
    10EuropeFrance
    11EuropeGermany
    12EuropeGibraltar
    13EuropeGreece
    14EuropeHungary
    15EuropeIceland
    16EuropeIreland
    17EuropeItaly
    18EuropeLatvia
    19EuropeLiechtenstein
    20EuropeLithuania
    21EuropeLuxembourg
    22EuropeMalta
    23EuropeMonaco
    24EuropeNetherlands
    25EuropeNorway
    26EuropePoland
    27EuropePortugal (only The Azores and Madeira)
    28EuropeSan Marino
    29EuropeSerbia
    30EuropeSlovakia
    31EuropeSlovenia
    32EuropeSpain
    33EuropeSwitzerland
    34N AmericaCanada
    35CaribbeanAntigua & Barbuda
    36CaribbeanBahamas
    37CaribbeanBarbados
    38CaribbeanBermuda
    39CaribbeanCayman Islands
    40CaribbeanDominica
    41CaribbeanGrenada
    42CaribbeanJamaica
    43CaribbeanMartinique
    44CaribbeanSouth Georgia South Sandwich Islands
    45CaribbeanSt Kitts and Nevis
    46CaribbeanSt Lucia
    47CaribbeanSt Pierre and Miquelon
    48CaribbeanSt Vincent and The Grenadines
    49CaribbeanTrinidad and Tobago
    50CaribbeanTurks and Caicos Islands
    51AsiaAustralia
    52AsiaBrunei
    53AsiaFrench Polynesia
    54AsiaHong Kong
    55AsiaJapan
    56AsiaMacao
    57AsiaMalaysia
    58AsiaNew Zealand
    59AsiaTaiwan
    60AsiaThailand
    61AsiaSingapore
    62AsiaSouth Korea
    63AsiaVietnam
    64AsiaWallis and Futuna
    65AfricaReunion
    66AntarticaBritish Antarctic Territory
  • Options
    If you end up in hospital abroad Covid related or not and have no insurance it could bankrupt you, although some people seem to crowdfund these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wondering how it will work with the EU health card if we decide to go to France.
  • Options
    Wondering how it will work with the EU health card if we decide to go to France.
    It's still valid until the end of the year. 
  • Options
    I've just renewed mine and waiting for it to arrive and as an EU resident I am hoping it lasts for the two years from start date as usual. Guess it will cover abroad for Covid as well but need to look into this.
  • Options
    I've just renewed mine and waiting for it to arrive and as an EU resident I am hoping it lasts for the two years from start date as usual. Guess it will cover abroad for Covid as well but need to look into this.
    Which country issued it?
  • Options
    Thinking of going over to San Sebastian maybe next month.
    Love the food there particularly the Tapas bars.
    Do you know if they are open?
    Are they subject to social distancing?  
    Are folks required to wear face covering?
  • Options
    Which country issued it?
    Spain - get it renewed every two years so interested to see if this one will also last until 2022.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Great place! The food there's incredible, and the bars will definitely all be open. If it's like Madrid or the Costa Blanca, where I am now, tables will just be further apart than normal and there possibly won't be seats at the bar. Masks need to be worn when waiter takes order and brings food, and generally on the street as well as public transport. Masks cost 96 cents from the pharmacy.
  • Options
    Great place! The food there's incredible, and the bars will definitely all be open. If it's like Madrid or the Costa Blanca, where I am now, tables will just be further apart than normal and there possibly won't be seats at the bar. Masks need to be worn when waiter takes order and brings food, and generally on the street as well as public transport. Masks cost 96 cents from the pharmacy.
    Yes love San Seb.
    Was there last year, food in the Tapas bars best I ever seen and tasted.
    Apparently there are more Michelin star restaurants in San. Sebastian than any other place in the world.
    The beach is pretty good as well.
    Went to Madrid a couple of years ago and enjoyed the city.
    Cordoba, Seville, Granada and the stunning Alhambra brilliant places to visit.
    Really rate Spain.

• Options
    Pintxos isn’t it rather than tapas? Love san seb. Great place. What’s the local strong wine/cider.?
  • Options
    Boom said:
    Pintxos isn’t it rather than tapas? Love san seb. Great place. What’s the local strong wine/cider.?
    I think the drink is called Sidra, its poured from head height.
    Very refreshing on a hot day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Supposed to go to Norway in September. Still closed according to Norway Government not sure if I want to go or not.  Back up plan Dorset
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    Supposed to go to Norway in September. Still closed according to Norway Government not sure if I want to go or not.  Back up plan Dorset
    I think Norway is on the list of places the government say your allowed to visit without quarantining on returning.
    Was it a cruise or just traveling? 
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    I think Norway is on the list of places the government say your allowed to visit without quarantining on returning.
    But some countries may not want Brits! Am not surprised the way some have been behaving!
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    But some countries may not want Brits! Am not surprised the way some have been behaving!
    Yes Greece is one such country although they apparently are allowing folk from the U.K.  on July 14th.
    Unless of course you are Mr Johnson senior and travel via. Bulgaria.
  • Options
    Going to stay with friends in Bergerac, late August to early September. No quarantine palavar, and I cannot effing wait!
  • Options
    Was due to go to the Ryder Cup in September. Just had an email from BA saying my flight to Chicago is cancelled which is a touch, as hearing they’re moving it to 2021 now.
  • Options
    Got flights to Spain booked for early September. Will obviously review closer to the time but at the moment still intend to go, if the flights go ahead of course.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Going to stay with friends in Bergerac, late August to early September. No quarantine palavar, and I cannot effing wait!
    Redskin said:
    Bergerac. Blooming Bergerac.
    Picture the scene.
    Bastille Day 2017.
    My wife and I were staying on the south side of the town on the Dordogne. 
    It was early evening and we'd decided to investigate a celebration event on the quayside and have some food.
    A band was playing and smoke was rising from stalls cooking various foods.
    We encountered a stall selling local Bergerac wine.
    The bloke on the stall was giving out small plastic cups of the red juice, free for tasters.
    "This is good stuff" I remember saying to my wife.
    We sat ourselves on one of the benches a listened to the band playing.
    "I'm really enjoying this wine, shall we purchase a large cupful?" I said.
    "And then I will go over there and buy some of that food on that outlet" I said pointing to a bloke who was cooking some potatoes and stuff.
    She nodded in agreement.
    So we sat and enjoyed a large plastic cupful of the delicious red juice listening to the band.
    "Well that was really nice" I said as we finished the cupfuls.
    "I'll tell you what". She looked at me knowing what i was about to suggest.
    "If we buy a bottle of the wine we can drink maybe half and take the rest back and drink it later"
    She nodded.
    I purchased a bottle and suggested that when the queue of folk had reduced I would buy some of that food.
    So we drank some of the wine.
    My wife started singing with the band.
    I couldn't make out what she was singing because she speaks little French!!
    "In a minute I will go over there and," I stopped because she was singing and taking no notice of me.
    I looked at the bottle and we'd consumed more than half, so we finished the rest and staggered back home.

We've been to France a few times since and always manage to bring a bottle of Bergerac back to the Uk. 
    Enjoy Bergerac Redskin. 

• Options
    Had flights to Lanzarote in September ... received email from BA that outgoing flight cancelled. 

Took the opportunity to cancel entire trip as I’m not convinced will be safe in September ... received voucher to rebook any time before March 2022 which works for me. 

Even better, the hotel has cancelled with no cost and offered same price for whenever I rebook ... great result. 
  • Options
    Do you think me and my family are mad going to southern Italy in the middle of August? I am the only one that’s worried. Just won’t feel like we can relax. It’s a villa holiday with my kids and in laws.