Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PlayStation 5 or XBOX Series X

edited June 2020 in Not Sports Related

Now both consoles have been revealed, and both have a certain stylish look about them, it's time to ask...

Which will you be pre-ordering?

It's PS5 Digital for me. It's so rare that I buy discs now and I can't help but feel that it's going to massively undercut the Series X...

One thing I don't like is that both are designed to be used upright, but only the X looks like it could be laid down too. A very specific point but an important one. The PS5 however is slimmer and will likely get wall mounts etc. It'd also look better on display.

Nerdgasm over. 

Comments

• Pricing will be crucial and with rumours of £400-£500 for the PS5 may mean the x box could steal the march. 
  • The PS5 looks like a wireless router!
  • Always been playstation always will be.* I'd be surprised if the PS5 couldn't be flat, vertical/ horizontal has been their thing since the PS2. 

* Ok I picked up the original concrete slab Xbox on the cheap and spent a little time on the 360, those were crazy experimental times man.
  • PS5, the unique SSD build, 3d Audio, raytracing capabilities are going to blow the Xbox out of the water, listen to the game developers talk about it, how easy it is to realise their visions for games. Also, the PS5 can go on its side
  • I would go for the ps5, looks good but as others as mentioned think the xbox will be cheaper that may be the better seller
  • Any significant changes for either of them on what’s gone before?
  • I really dislike the way the PS5 looks and the way the cooling is designed looks like it’ll get dusty as hell. 

But I’ll be getting the digital PS5 I imagine unless I can think of any reason I’d need a 4K Blu Ray player.
  • I’m a huge Gran Turismo fan and given its PlayStation exclusivity.... PS5 is the only option for me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• PS5 all the way for me (with disk drive ) , I just brought a new PS4 pro b4 Xmas so hoping to get a good trade in price or I’ll keep for the kids to keep them off my PS5 ,I don’t like the white casing but it’s what’s inside that counts. Not over keen on those launch titles other than GT but plenty more will b out for launch , disappointing that the 1st thing they advertise was a game I completed on my ps3 GTA V is awesome don’t get me wrong but one game spanning 3 consoles?? Rockstar has been busy with red dead 2 which I love but 7-8 years for a new GTA seemed doable!! Still I guess there are some middle voters but brand loyalty goes along way I’d never move over to the dark side I love PlayStation .
    i really hope it works on its side but I know a lot of thought has gone into the cooling of the beast inside so if it has to b it has to b.
    to b honest if they put a PS5 badge on a Matt southall turd I would probably buy it.
  • cafc999 said:
    Pricing will be crucial and with rumours of £400-£500 for the PS5 may mean the x box could steal the march. 
    The rumour for ps5 on Reddit seems to be $400-500 USD - or £349-£400

That's expected to be over £100 cheaper than the XBox is rumoured to be.
  • Any significant changes for either of them on what’s gone before?

Significantly better processing power.
  • I'm going to need to go all out and get a 4K tv for it too, so I'm probably looking close to £800 all in on my setup.

Did they mention anything about backwards compatibility with hardware? Couldn't find anything on it. I have a racing rig for PS4 and would be gutted if that was no longer compatible, means my spending for the setup would be north of £1000.

• I'm going to need to go all out and get a 4K tv for it too, so I'm probably looking close to £800 all in on my setup.

Did they mention anything about backwards compatibility with hardware? Couldn't find anything on it. I have a racing rig for PS4 and would be gutted if that was no longer compatible, means my spending for the setup would be north of £1000.

It definitely works with PSVR ,PS4 camara & motion controllers , I know there is new camera & there will be new motion controllers but they confirmed a while back that PSVR will work on it with existing set up so I guess that means camara etc.
    On the VR subject, they say a PSVR 2 is coming for PS5 & this is expected to be 4K , I was planning on a new TV to go with PS5 as I have with each PlayStation launch I got a new Sony TV that they recommend is optimal for gaming but this time I won’t bother although I will probably have one anyway as mine is a few years old but I won’t get the latest one to go with PS5 as since I’ve had a VR headset I’ve not gamed on regular tv since , it’s transformed gaming for me & I love it ,the 3D sound on it is excellent & this is in the ps5 but combined with VR it’s so immersive.
    i watched the presentation last night on my headset on giant screen & it looked awesome 

• Dazzler21 said:
    cafc999 said:
    Pricing will be crucial and with rumours of £400-£500 for the PS5 may mean the x box could steal the march. 
    The rumour for ps5 on Reddit seems to be $400-500 USD - or £349-£400

That's expected to be over £100 cheaper than the XBox is rumoured to be.
    Amazon UK put out a dummy listing apparently and it was for £600!! Given the specs, I'll be amazed if it was as "cheap" as £400.

It definitely works with PSVR ,PS4 camara & motion controllers , I know there is new camera & there will be new motion controllers but they confirmed a while back that PSVR will work on it with existing set up so I guess that means camara etc.
    On the VR subject, they say a PSVR 2 is coming for PS5 & this is expected to be 4K , I was planning on a new TV to go with PS5 as I have with each PlayStation launch I got a new Sony TV that they recommend is optimal for gaming but this time I won’t bother although I will probably have one anyway as mine is a few years old but I won’t get the latest one to go with PS5 as since I’ve had a VR headset I’ve not gamed on regular tv since , it’s transformed gaming for me & I love it ,the 3D sound on it is excellent & this is in the ps5 but combined with VR it’s so immersive.
    i watched the presentation last night on my headset on giant screen & it looked awesome 

If they can deliver the Gran Turismo full game with VR in 4K, I don't think I'd need much else.

I wasn't a big fan of the PS4 VR, the graphics really let it down imo.

• Honestly think it'll be 500 
  • edited June 2020

I'm going to need to go all out and get a 4K tv for it too, so I'm probably looking close to £800 all in on my setup.

I would be surprised if the new PSVR is 4k, even new PC VR headsets are way off that right now. I could be wrong of course. I have a Oculus Rift on my PC and to run 1080p at 90fps you need a high-end PC, you will struggle to get the same power in a console. 
  • Sponsored links:

• My XB1X has 14 years’ of games on it so I’m sure it’ll be hard to wean myself off of their platform. The PS would need to have a considerable lead in graphic capabilities to do that. Although VR is a big factor. 

I mainly don’t play PS because I detest the controllers, if the new style feel less like a baby’s rattle then that’s another factor that could get me to switch. I’ll watch these developments with great interest. 
  • The are over twice the amount of PlayStation users compared to XBOX right now, and given the exclusive games already shown for the PS5 and the huge step forwards this will be for games (no more loading times, no more draw distance limits, no more bottleneck level designs) I can only see that gap widening, Microsoft will need to seriously undercut Sony, and even then I don't think it'll be enough, there's a lot to say for brand loyalty and given how badly the previous generation went for XBOX, they'll have a lot of ground to make up
  • Xbox for me, both have Raytracing, Xbox is more powerful, Gamepass is better than PlayStation now and so is backwards compatibility, SSD is a plus for PS but if some developers are to be believed the amount of cache memory and speed its accessed on the Xbox mean on paper its as good as the SSD, I watched last night and the games did look good and the ones I liked most were PS only, everything I've read points to the Xbox being the cheaper console.
    Ive got the original Xbox one so will upgrade to the series X as like Jimmy I've got 15 years of games on my harddrive so will be sticking with Microsoft.
    My son is a PlayStation user so if I really want to play the PS only titles I can use his.
  • Always been Playstation, always will be! The PS5 exclusives alone are enough of a reason to get one
  • edited June 2020
    The PS5 looks horrendous. Does it have to be white?

If I get one, it will be a PS
  • Stewart said:
    The PS5 looks horrendous. Does it have to be white?

If I get one, it will be a PS
    I'm hoping they do an all black one as well but think I'm being optimistic in even hoping for it.

I think if they change the colour at all it will be way down the line when they start doing the slim/high spec versions which I've never bothered upgrading to before.
  • Always been playstation, i think it looks alright but seen some good memes for it :) 

I am not a huge gamer, mainly fifa, i have bought GTA and played with mates but always go back to fifa (although connection been a nightmare since lockdown), also bought the odd snooker game but not really worth me buying other games normally as go back to fifa. I haven't really looked into it much but normally its just like Fifa/Pro evo debate most people will stick with what they are used to, there isn't really going to be much difference either machine? Will look more before buying it, but no instant need to get one until fifa released (shock)