Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

With rumours coming out of Germany that they may end their season early and are considering how to resolve the mess that will come from taking such a decision, what do you think the FA, Premier League and EFL are likely to do here?

I think there’s much more than a strong probability than the season doesn’t reach its full conclusion so which option is best?

1. void the season and start again after the summer, no honours (sorry Liverpool), no promotion/relegation and European places are given to the same teams that received them the previous season

2. take the current standings as they are and use them going into next season, if that was done today that means relegation for the Addicks...

3. an interesting option they are considering in Germany is to commit to only promotion and no relegation and gradually reduce the number in the Bundesliga back to 18 via an increased number of relegated teams over the next two or three seasons, so we would see a 22/23 team Premier League, a 25/26 team Championship etc. for 2020/21. Can imagine the top clubs nipping this one in the bud due to “fixture congestion”.

Or can you think of something better?

Comments

• unless there's a specific rule in place that sets out what should happen in this situation then there's no way that they will take the standings as they are. Every single relegated club would take legal action to fight it, it would be a complete mess
  • edited March 2020
    Will that include the points deductions for weds etc ? 
  • rina said:
    unless there's a specific rule in place that sets out what should happen in this situation then there's no way that they will take the standings as they are. Every single relegated club would take legal action to fight it, it would be a complete mess
    As would any club still chasing promotion.
  • Must be honest I do feel for the authorities. There’s no straight forward outcome, is there?
  • Must be honest I do feel for the authorities. There’s no straight forward outcome, is there?
    There's no easy answer, delay the season, clubs might not survive financially, end it now, will lead to court cases, carry on as normal and people will die.

I'm glad I'm not involved in the decision making.
  • It's not sure that the season can be completed in June/July. Nobody knows when it will be safe to players, supporters and staff to coninue the season. What is with players under contract till the end of June. Are they allowed to play in July? What's with the start of next season? So many questions.
  • Extend the season to June/July. If doesn’t get any better then have to call it. Personally, think 3/4 of a season is enough to say that league should finish today instead of voiding it. I accept that would mean relegation.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1 please 
  • Extend the season to June/July. If doesn’t get any better then have to call it. Personally, think 3/4 of a season is enough to say that league should finish today instead of voiding it. I accept that would mean relegation.
    Agreed but very harsh on a whole number of teams. Form can change massively in the last quarter. 
  • edited March 2020
    Oh my god, the Hull game really is looking like a potential major ‘make or break’ cup final for us now. Win and we can’t get relegated in any of the season-ending scenarios.
  • With half our squad either out of contract or loan period ending at the end of june extending the season to July would mean we wouldn't be able to put out a team.
    (Not a competitive one at least )
  • Mentioned on the Champions League thread last night.
    The plan from UEFA is to move Euro 2020 to next year and allow the leagues and cup competitions to run into June to finish. Much less disorder than cancelling or halting in current league positions. 

But of course, there's no guarantee they can finish by June anyway. 
  • I’m fairly sure there will be something in the league rulebook in the scenario a season does not get completed
  • Either extend the season or just play behind closed doors. Extending this season has a knock on effect on next though. Can’t see them just abandoning this season or saying current standings are the final standings as that will lead to legal challenges.
  • Either extend the season or just play behind closed doors. Extending this season has a knock on effect on next though. Can’t see them just abandoning this season or saying current standings are the final standings as that will lead to legal challenges.
    Still putting all the players at risk, what happens when some, quite rightly, refuse to play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Park all the hate for Liverpool aside but it would be an absolute travesty if they lost the league title. It’s won. They know it and the other teams know it. Relegation is another matter of course along with promotion out the other leagues
  • Behind closed doors isn’t an option for me. This week has proved it with people just gathering outside. 
  • There is no easy answer. 

If you just cancel it, there will be court cases galore.  Leicester will miss out on the champions league is a good example.

If you pause it, how long for?  If you can't play all the remaining games by the end of June half the players, especially in the lower leagues will then be out of contract.

If you play it behind closed doors half of league 1 and 2, possibly some in the championship will go bust. 

But as there are probably either confirmed or undiagnosed cases at every club already you can't just keep playing even behind closed doors. 

I think most people would agree that the "football" implications, in the grand scheme of things don't matter, the financial ones could have ramifications that would change the game for ever.  Any of the 3 would cause some clubs to go out of business. 
  • Isn’t there a precedent for this ? What happened with the Football League season in the Second World War ?
  • edited March 2020
    What they would have to do IMO is to start the season early when Corona Virus is behind us and play out the remaining games. Then to catch up, we have a new season immediately following on with Monday/Tuesday games. The problem with cancelling, if there is nothing in the rules that has to be abided by is that some clubs will be unfairly treated if they go one way and unfairly treated if they go the other. 

There is another precedent though. The War. Accepting it was a long time ago. The season was just cancelled then. 
  • CafcCrazy said:
    Would it be relegation, maybe they'd only do 2 up 2 down and would ignore playoff places altogether, which would make us safe. 
    Would help us. Luton & Barnsley cant really complain as they have been in the bottom 3 virtually all season, whereas we haven't 
  • mascot88 said:
    I honestly don't know if I'd cope if we got relegated in that way, the week we go into the relegation zone, then they shut the competition down and we are out. 

I just wouldn't be able to handle it.
    They won’t/can’t do this I don’t think. 

90% chance they’ll just extend it into June and rush the remaining games. 
    10% chance they’ll void the season. 
  • What if the situation is not resolved by then?