Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ending the season early? (+++ALL GAMES CANCELLED TILL 4 APRIL+++)

Comments

• Options
    The Premier League won’t play games with three clubs in lock down.

UEFA have postponed all games next week in their competitions
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Another question, if you suspended it, how all gap can you have before the players loose "match fitness" and need a preseason before you start again? 
    You argue it is the same for everyone.

If you are going to keep the current standings, this isn't looking what suits us, but you would imagine you limit promotions and relegations to the top two and bottom two (three lower down). This is logical as the play offs would also be cancelled so whilst a third from bottom team could have an argument, a third place team in the division below less so. As that position does not currently guarantee promotion.
    But you can't, if we play the Hull game in say 4 weeks time, and we have had confirmed cases so our training ground has been shut and players isolated. And they haven't it's not the same is it? 
  • Options
    So Charlton v Millwall potentially our next game!!
  • Options
    Question: 

If rest of season is cancelled and final standings are as they are now. Bottom club is replaced by top League 1 club. 2nd bottom club is replaced by second placed League 1 club. 3rd bottom club is replaced by League 1 play off winner. But Play offs would be cancelled so no League 1 play off winner. Who takes third place from League 1 then?
    Seriously with no club mathematically relegated or promoted they cant promoted or relegate anyone, even Bolton could turn round to a court and say there is no reason we  ant win our last 12 and stay up.

If the leagues were eventually completely ended for the season as they are they would have to just say no promotion and relegation and everyone starts again where they are next season.

Of course Sheffield United(looking like getting Europe) Leicester(looking like Champions league) Leeds(promotion to Premier League) wont like it but I think its the fairest way, you cant finish the season with some teams playing some certain teams twice and not others and having their futures rest on that
  • Options
    There is no way that in 3 weeks time things will be back to normal, we may not even be at the peak by then.

I can only imagine they plan to get everyone at the clubs (staff and players) to isolate in those 3 weeks and then play games behind closed doors to complete the season but IF that is the hope/plan then god knows what will actually happen.
  • Options
    With no income from match revenue for a a few weeks then does this mean we only have enough money to get to November instead of December?
  • Options
    There is no way that in 3 weeks time things will be back to normal, we may not even be at the peak by then.

I can only imagine they plan to get everyone at the clubs (staff and players) to isolate in those 3 weeks and then play games behind closed doors to complete the season but IF that is the hope/plan then god knows what will actually happen.
    Not sure they can ask them to play games if they’ve not been training for weeks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not sure they can ask them to play games if they’ve not been training for weeks.
    Exactly. So what scenario are they hoping for come April? That everything is back to normal?
    I can't even begin to imagine how this gets resolved
  • Options
    With no income from match revenue for a a few weeks then does this mean we only have enough money to get to November instead of December?
    Probably a lot less than that.  Can't imagine much income from S/T sales in April/May.  Loss of ticket revenue plus ancillary sales...cash flow problems on the horizon...
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I would imagine clubs will still train, the reason games are being cancelled is mainly due to stop large crowds gathering and movement of people. A very small minority of footballers have tested positive so for the vast majority it will business as normal just like any other job.
  • Options
    So many issues. Is Coronavirus the same as a cold for EFL ruling purposes?  To date matches are postponed because players are self isolating. In my opinion this will go on and on and a proposed finish date will keep moving. Lawyers will be licking their lips at all this. 

Think EUFA need to make a unilateral binding decision. 
  • Options
    If you have shares in Sky I would start selling, Murdoch will be fuming.
  • Options
    nothing will change for  the better with this virus by early April

• Options
    Finding it amusing that Hull are keeping fans abrest of events on their twitter handle whilst there is just complete silence from the Charlton one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Finding it amusing that Hull are keeping fans abrest of events on their twitter handle whilst there is just complete silence from the Charlton one
    Do we even have any Comms staff left? 
  • Options
    Doesn't own Sky, if you have shares in Comcast, that's where its a stinger 
  • Options
    No match day income for the club for at least a month. I have a feeling that december deadline has rolled forward a month to november now.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Surely if and when football restarts (I think it'll end up as a while off, not 3 weeks off), they just pick up the season where it was?

Sorting out the knock on effects for other seasons is simpler than the legal ramifications of, say, denying Leeds and West Brom multi million pound promotions, or relegating the bottom 3 without then being mathematically down.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Do we even have any Comms staff left? 
    Exactly why Im finding it amusing

In the sense that Southall has made his role untenable even if he is still around i.e. how would he expect to run the club if he wins any court battle v Nimer?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Doesn't own Sky, if you have shares in Comcast, that's where its a stinger 
    Thanks, I do not have Sky myself so wasn't sure but you get the gist.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Title updated but no actual confirmation from Hull (or Charlton lol!) that tomorrows game has been cancelled
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    BBC news saying official confirmation still awaited of postponements to 4 April.
  • Options
    The Premier League is meeting at 11, will be a co ordinated announcement 
  • Options
    From BBC:
    The decision to postpone matches until 3 April was unanimously approved by the EFL board.