Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Aston Villa (Chris Solly testimonial) - Match Thread

Comments

• that's the date of the CL Somme Trip, good opposition though.
  • edited June 2019
    bit dissapointed  with the oppo was hoping for someone a little bit higher profile, wont be attending. 
    More high profile than a premier league team, who your expecting Barcelona or Madrid
    in fairness they have just gone up via the playoffs so are a lower level premier league team at best

just for context west brom have an away trip to villareal

so no not barcelona or madrid - although bournemouth got madrid a few years back.

maybe its just me but i cant be that excited about aston villa coming down to us and it being a big thing. 
  • I'm pleased for Chris that we've got good oppo, i wonder if they've got any other players they want to loan out?  :wink:
  • bit dissapointed  with the oppo was hoping for someone a little bit higher profile, wont be attending. 
    More high profile than a premier league team, who your expecting Barcelona or Madrid
    in fairness they have just gone up via the playoffs so are a lower level premier league team at best

so no not barcelona or madrid - although bournemouth got madrid a few years back.

maybe its just me but i cant be that excited about aston villa coming down to us and it being a big thing. 
    Think you have unrealistic expectations over who we could attract at home that wouldn’t put out a youth team.  

BTW - Villarreal came 14th in La Liga, below some pretty average sides, not sure how they represent a glamour tie. 
  • bit dissapointed  with the oppo was hoping for someone a little bit higher profile, wont be attending. 

Just for context we have just gone up to The Championship via the play offs and West Brom were in The Championship Play Offs last season
  • I’m away on holiday so won’t be able to attend. It’s a shame as I would have like to be there to show my support for Chris Solly. Been following Charlton for 20 years+ and I am yet to attend a friendly match at The Valley. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame we couldnt get someone like Arsenal (Chris supports them) or West Ham (London Derby)... Yes Aston Villa are a Premier League team now and they'll be a good test ahead of the new season but does just feel as though they were picked because every other option wasnt viable

Wasn't it 50 quid a ticket?

Yeah but think Madrid charge clubs through the roof for sending a team for a pre-season friendly
  • Shame we couldnt get someone like Arsenal (Chris supports them) or West Ham (London Derby)... Yes Aston Villa are a Premier League team now and they'll be a good test ahead of the new season but does just feel as though they were picked because every other option wasnt viable
    Why would we pick an option that wasn’t viable? 
  • I’m pleased they’ve managed to secure a club with a big link to both Solly and CAFC for his big game...
  • I'm in London with my family for this. May try to drag the missus and daughter along. Alternatively I'll leave them in Charlton Primark (a bit of a tourist attraction is Primark!) where they could probably kill two hours if past experience is anything to go by!
    Really treating them there. 
  • Chizz said:
    Meanwhile, on VillaParkLife, the Aston Villa fans are pinching themselves in disbelief at how lucky they are to get such a fantastic pre-season fixture... 
    OK own up, how many just googled VillaparkLife? Just me? 

Good name for a forum that
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Meanwhile, on VillaParkLife, the Aston Villa fans are pinching themselves in disbelief at how lucky they are to get such a fantastic pre-season fixture... 
    actually I suspect they’d be pretty pleased with it. A summer day out on the piss in London and a new ground for many. I expect a large turnout from them and depending how our transfer dealings go a possibility of the home fans being outnumbered 
  • Was a shame that Villa's two seasons in the championship coincided with us being in League One. They're still in the top ten biggest clubs in the country.
    Yes, Villa are a big club. They'll bring a decent number of supporters to the match too
  • I'm in London with my family for this. May try to drag the missus and daughter along. Alternatively I'll leave them in Charlton Primark (a bit of a tourist attraction is Primark!) where they could probably kill two hours if past experience is anything to go by!
    Really treating them there. 
    If they get bored there's always Matalan but I'll draw the line at M&S! :)
  • edited June 2019
    bit dissapointed  with the oppo was hoping for someone a little bit higher profile, wont be attending. 

Just for context we have just gone up to The Championship via the play offs and West Brom were in The Championship Play Offs last season
    just for context why are you so argumentative and arrogant? 
    So its ok for you to put things into context but as soon as I do I am argumentative amd arrogant.

Pot kettle black

Yeah but think Madrid charge clubs through the roof for sending a team for a pre-season friendly

Real Madrid used to charge a million pounds for a preseason friendly containing first team players (probably a lot more at the current exchange rate).

We would have to charge £40-£50 and sell out just to break even, leaving Chris Solly with nothing. I'm guessing Bournemouth lost a considerable amount of money playing Madrid even if they charged £50.

• My wedding anniversary, I'm sure she'll love the game. (she hates football, 22 men kicking a bag of air around in her eyes). She has been twice, both when my kids were mascot,  one game being Aston Villa. 
  • Might need to roll out the red carpet if Prince William attends!