Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Aston Villa (Chris Solly testimonial) - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    My wedding anniversary, I'm sure she'll love the game. (she hates football, 22 men kicking a bag of air around in her eyes). She has been twice, both when my kids were mascot,  one game being Aston Villa. 
    treat her to a nice day out in Greenwich and a few drinks.

see you at the Valley
  • Options
    Can someone confirm please that Chris gets all the profits and Two Shats gets nothing?
  • Options
    “The Darren Bent Cup Final”
  • Options
    Would go even if it were tonbridge Angel's
    Hes been loyal to the club
    For some reason my stand out match was the 1st game of the season  away to leyton orient a few years back for his goal celebration think he got mom but i could be wrong
    Also fan behind goal in man utd shirt got abuse all game!!
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:
    Might need to roll out the red carpet if Prince William attends!
    At least we don't need to get him another shirt ...

• Options
    That looks like some air biscuit he's pushing out there.......must be from the unicorn steaks he eats each day.
  • Options
    It's a strange one because Villa are a huge historical club, and Villa Park away has always been on my list of dream ties to tick off, yet I still feel that Solly deserves a bigger name for his testimonial.

Maybe it's just because the choice of club feels so random.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Can someone confirm please that Chris gets all the profits and Two Shats gets nothing?
    Chris should get all the profits, tax-free.  The club may make a charge for the use of the stadium, etc.
  • Options
    A quick google search says these were the prices for Bournemouth v Real Madrid.

"Ticket prices for the match have been set at £55 for season ticket holders and £60 for non-season ticket holders. Tickets are also on sale at £45 for concessions, £30 for under-16s"

If we played them how many people on here would be happy to pay those prices to see us get dicked about 7-0?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder if LB may try Djiksteel in CDM as we are likely to be a couple of Prem loans short until end of August?
  • Options
    Was a shame that Villa's two seasons in the championship coincided with us being in League One. They're still in the top ten biggest clubs in the country.
    Yeah they get a bit overlooked in the 'biggest club' conversation. They haven't won anything for a while and their fans tend to vote with their feet when things aren't going well, but having grown up in the West Midlands I know they are an extremely well supported team. Easily the biggest club in the country's second biggest city.
  • Options

"Ticket prices for the match have been set at £55 for season ticket holders and £60 for non-season ticket holders. Tickets are also on sale at £45 for concessions, £30 for under-16s"

If we played them how many people on here would be happy to pay those prices to see us get dicked about 7-0?

More like 70
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I'll make an effort to go to this one, regardless of the opposition.  If one man deserves a proper good turn out, it's Solly.  But for injuires, I reckon he could've gone on to play at a higher level.  He's always given his all, had to endure 5 years of the Duchatelet shite and has stuck with it.

I would like to give the respect and thanks he deserves
    Same here.  Not a big fan of preseason games but I’ll turn out for this one for Chris.   
  • Options
    it potentially clashes with the final day (4) of our historical first ever Test Match against Ireland at Lords , put me down as a maybe 
  • Options
    Let JJ have a final Valley run out 😉
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Meanwhile, on VillaParkLife, the Aston Villa fans are pinching themselves in disbelief at how lucky they are to get such a fantastic pre-season fixture... 
    actually I suspect they’d be pretty pleased with it. A summer day out on the piss in London and a new ground for many. I expect a large turnout from them and depending how our transfer dealings go a possibility of the home fans being outnumbered 
    So you think only 2,000 Charlton fans will turn up?
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:
    Might need to roll out the red carpet if Prince William attends!
    You should get that treatment as well mate.
  • Options
    Definitely going to this and looking forward to it and giving Sols the reception and support he deserves. 

Would hope that he gets the chance to play up front and score in front of the The Covered End too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bit dissapointed  with the oppo was hoping for someone a little bit higher profile, wont be attending. 
    More high profile than a premier league team, who your expecting Barcelona or Madrid
    in fairness they have just gone up via the playoffs so are a lower level premier league team at best

just for context west brom have an away trip to villareal

so no not barcelona or madrid - although bournemouth got madrid a few years back.

maybe its just me but i cant be that excited about aston villa coming down to us and it being a big thing. 
    Villa may be willing to appear for no fee.  Spurs were li ed up a few years ago for a friendly pre season but we could not afford their fee, based upon prospective attendance.
  • Options

Seven-nil?  Oh come on, be serious.  We're struggling for players right now, but I am sure that will be fixed.  And, anyway, Bournemouth aren't THAT good. 
  • Options
    bit dissapointed  with the oppo was hoping for someone a little bit higher profile, wont be attending. 
    For those sniggering

brighton would of been a better fit imo.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I find your comment tactless and disrespectful to Chris, it’s as much about him as the fixture itself.
    You are usually a reasonable enough poster.....but IMHO, have let yourself down on this occasion.
    Disrespectful??, I’m not not attending because of the opposition I’m not attending because of a pre arranged beano to Brighton, deliberately planned outside of our competitive season, so regardless of the oppo I would not of been  able to attend it was a comment in regards to that I was hoping for someone higher because of the player it is for - so quite the opposite imho

on average in the past 10 years I have done majority of home games and minimum 12/13 Away games a season spending a lot more than a jolly to watch a newly promoted pl side but thanks for informing me of letting myself down. 

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I find your comment tactless and disrespectful to Chris, it’s as much about him as the fixture itself.
    You are usually a reasonable enough poster.....but IMHO, have let yourself down on this occasion.
    Disrespectful??, I’m not not attending because of the opposition I’m not attending because of a pre arranged beano to Brighton, deliberately planned outside of our competitive season, so regardless of the oppo I would not of been  able to attend it was a comment in regards to that I was hoping for someone higher because of the player it is for - so quite the opposite imho

on average in the past 10 years I have done majority of home games and minimum 12/13 Away games a season spending a lot more than a jolly to watch a newly promoted pl side but thanks for informing me of letting myself down. 

If that’s the case then why didn’t you make yourself clear, instead your comment left no one in doubt that you were not attending because of the quality of the opposition, which in turn was seen as being disrespectful to Chris.........we ain’t mind readers ph!
  • Options

If that’s the case then why didn’t you make yourself clear, instead your comment left no one in doubt that you were not attending because of the quality of the opposition.....we ain’t mind readers ph!
    as someone that posts on here regularly and given my comments on matches attended i think its a given that i attend my fair share of games not as many as some granted but imo my fair share. 

to call me out and say i have let myself down is a bit over the mark but having now given my reasons hope that clears a few things up. 

i stick by my original line of villa aren't anything special and would of hoped for someone higher for chris as he has been a servant to the club, a few are saying we shouldn't even renew his contract so i cannot see a big crowd at this as as with most clubs we are a fickle fan base. 
  • Options
    I would have hoped for at least a fabricated connection to Villa as “a club that’s always been close to (Solly’s) heart” or some such rubbershoes nonsense but just to be clear, if I was in the UK that day I would have gone as it would still have been the highest ranking opponent fumbluff junior would have seen down there. 
    Just not very interesting/exciting....
  • Options

If that’s the case then why didn’t you make yourself clear, instead your comment left no one in doubt that you were not attending because of the quality of the opposition.....we ain’t mind readers ph!
    as someone that posts on here regularly and given my comments on matches attended i think its a given that i attend my fair share of games not as many as some granted but imo my fair share. 

to call me out and say i have let myself down is a bit over the mark but having now given my reasons hope that clears a few things up. 

i stick by my original line of villa aren't anything special and would of hoped for someone higher for chris as he has been a servant to the club, a few are saying we shouldn't even renew his contract so i cannot see a big crowd at this as as with most clubs we are a fickle fan base. 
    Another one has crossed me off their Christmas card list!
    Oh well.
  • Options
    I suspect whoever's in charge will take this match relatively seriously. It's our final warm up match before the season kicks off the following week.
  • Options
    Just checked and there are no trains from Charing X or London Bridge to Charlton, all services seem to be from Victoria???????????//