Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life's 2008 Demelza Appeal - Greenwich half-marathon run

Charlton Life's 2008 Demelza Appeal

In light of Curb_It raising the subject yesterday, it is our aim to try and build Charlton Life's 2008 Demelza Appeal around London's first ever half marathon, to be based in Greenwich on Sunday 5th October

With the run being in and around The Valley area it has obvious connections and it may help a few people out with their new years resolutions!

In 2007, Charlton Life's members raised in excess of £35,000 for the benefit of Demelza, something we should all be extremely proud of, and hopefully something we would all like to build on.

The thinking behind the fundraising is that we get t-shirts made up and possibly a banner that we can carry around the course - with a well earnt beer (hopefully we can do it in Bartrams) at the end. Obviously, this is in it's very early stages at the moment, so I would to get an idea of numbers of people who would be definately up for it.

It costs £30 to enter through the website (below):

www.runtothebeat.co.uk

Once we have some definate numbers then we will try and keep everyone in the loop, and nearer the time set up a Justgiving page so we can start the donation ball rolling.

Unlike the football matches last year, there will be no requirement to raise a certain level of sponsorship to participate, people are free to raise as much or as little as they see fit. They aim is purely to have fun, raise money through a little pain, and show a strong co-ordinated support for a fantastic charity.

If you are interested please list your name below and let me know when you have signed up through the website.

Please note, places are limited so if you are interested signing up sooner rather than later would be beneficial.

Feel free to whisper me if you have any questions.

Cheers
Glenn (WSS)

Comments

• Well done Glenn

I'm in.

Have not run more than about 300 yards in about five years and have a body knackered to pieces. But i'll give it everything i've got to get around.

Come on guys and girls, last year's effort was a fantastic collective occassion, this one is going to take bit more personal effort, but could be so rewarding.
  • After the guilt of saying im not doing it for charity yesterday I have spoken to the others in our running group and we will run for Demelza. But we will set up our own page. Mainly due to the fact that i would never forward on to some of my big pocket bosses a webpage that is linked to charlton life - i woudlnt want them to see what i do all day! but all goes to the same charity and thats the main thing.
  • edited January 2008
    Nothing to feel guilty about Curb It. Charity involvement is never something that should be forced upon people. We'll get you wearing a t-shirt though !

Good to have aboard.

So far confirmed:

WSS
    AFKA
    Curb It
    TCE
    Latimer
    Medders

???
  • I'm thinking about it.

What if Charlton are playing that day? (I haven't read much into it yet, so don't know of the time etc)
  • happy to pay for and wear t-shirt.
    can you make them nice reinforced vests!
  • Its a Sunday, so unlikely. If it was moved, it wouldn't be at home because the roads would be shut, and if it was away it would be live on Sky.
  • You need scaffolding, not a vest
  • Oi Westside, who put you in charge?

I'm in. Good incentive to finally shift some of this lard, whilst raising some money for Demelza
  • lol brunello. do i know you?

yes quite right danny be no home game that day. suz if you take a look at the route, the whole of the lower road etc will be shut. theres no details on time or anything at the moment.
    but i found this article with a bit more info on the O2 website.

O2
  • WSS
    AFKA
    Curb It
    TCE
    Latimer
    Medders
    Ketman
  • Sponsored links:

• count me in and if you want any advice on training then just ask me with me unused degree in Sports Science. For those of you lazy at heart I have a workable schedule that only requires running three times a week (plus a couple of cross training - bike/swim etc sessions). Easy to fit in around full time work.
  • go on then, i'll do it. will enter next friday when i get paid!
  • Tavern is running with my breakaway group. he is our leader... ive really opened up a can of worms as i got an hours lecture on our training plans last night... whilst we were necking 5 pints in the rose! going to be a long old summer.
  • WSSWSS
    edited January 2008
    WSS
    AFKA
    Curb It
    TCE
    Latimer
    Medders
    Ketman
    suzisausage
    kigelia
    Tavern
    Dave Mehmet
  • very interested in having a look at that kigelia. seems do-able.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]very interested in having a look at that kigelia. seems do-able.

I have an excel version that I nabbed from someone else I can send round to people nearer the time - it is geared up for a 16 week schedule.
  • I've signed up
  • WSSWSS
    edited January 2008
    WSS
    AFKA
    Curb It
    TCE
    Latimer
    Medders
    Ketman
    suzisausage
    kigelia
    Tavern
    Dave Mehmet
    Stu of SE7
    JohnboyUK
  • If Yids are allowed to become a Charlton Lifer for a day then I'll do it - I need some extra motivation to shift this extra 3 stone I'm carrying...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2008
    good lad JD, 13 nutters already.
  • if you'e going to have your do in Bartrams you could ask the club if we could use the showers in the changing rooms in the gym - just so everyone isnt minging at the bar! should imagine the run will be early and even by some stragglers standards the gym is open till 5 on a sunday so should be finished by then!
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]if you'e going to have your do in Bartrams you could ask the club if we could use the showers in the changing rooms in the gym - just so everyone isnt minging at the bar! should imagine the run will be early and even by some stragglers standards the gym is open till 5 on a sunday so should be finished by then!

or we could use the showers in the bedrooms in the antigallican as it will be OUR pub by then, and the owner won't mind :-)
  • good idea B
  • Or the home and away changing room showers!!

With my knees no way can I run anywhere but I'll buy a t-shirt or sponsor some.

Good luck everyone.
  • I'm seriously tempted, but also seriously concerned that I won't make it round and don't want to let people down.

Kigelia - any chance you could tailor that schedule for someone with post-viral fatigue and let me have a look? Ta.
  • This may very well be the inspiration i need to get back to shifting the last few stone and will be 6 months short of ten years since i did the full marathon.

Go on- I'm in!!

:-)
  • Happy to sponsor and buy the t-shirt!
  • WSSWSS
    edited January 2008
    WSS
    AFKA
    Curb It
    TCE
    Latimer
    Medders
    Ketman
    suzisausage
    kigelia
    Tavern
    Dave Mehmet
    Stu of SE7
    JohnboyUK
    StanmoreAddick
    Dave Storry
  • edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Happy to sponsor and buy the t-shirt!

Go on Sash you loser, do the run !