Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's 2008 Demelza Appeal - Greenwich half-marathon run

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]i am doing this cant wait
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]I'm going to do it again this year. The organisation and the weather can only be better than last time.

Great stuff, Shall I add you Gents to the Justgiving page thats been set up or are you running for a different charity?
    Had my first run out this morning since rttb last year and completed 3 miles with surprisingly little problem I stopped at 3 miles although I felt I could have gone on I didnt want to injure myself, it has now proved to be the right decision as my legs are screaming at me;-(

TCE - I'm ok with that. I drained my friends and family last year for cystic fibrosis, so happy to collect what I can for Demelza this year.

Its getting very difficult in the current climate to raise any funds as you can see by the justgiving page, I've added you to the page so hopefully it will start rolling soon ;)
  • Options
    Week 3 of training, I turned in a 5.2 mile run just on the hour followed by a mile and a half walk home, so I'm very pleased so far with 3 months to go i could do it inside 90 minutes!! Even more pleasing 2 donations to the Demelza, my thanks to Oohaahmortimer and Threadkiller. Its a shame that more lifers are not doing these runs this year as last year I felt a sense of achievement surpassed by nothing else I've ever been part of, being cheered by people I've never met and raising a couple of quid for Demelza along the way, hence the reasons I decided to run the Bluewater 10k as well as the RTTB half marathon. Support the "Lifers" if you can.
    many thanks
    Ray, Jon and Dave

http://www.justgiving.com/raybates3
  • Options
    Week 4 of training, After struggling for the first mile or so I turned in a 6.8 mile run in 1 hour 20 minutes mainly running on the flat, now I have to start using the surrounding hills to build up to the Bluewater 10k which apparently is quite hilly? any lifers do the run last year confirm that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Week 4 of training, After struggling for the first mile or so I turned in a 6.8 mile run in 1 hour 20 minutes mainly running on the flat, now I have to start using the surrounding hills to build up to the Bluewater 10k which apparently is quite hilly? any lifers do the run last year confirm that.

it is indeed quite hilly. I did it last year in around 48mins.

The first 3-4km are dead flat. then from 4-5km is virtually all up hill.

The second half of the race is a bit up and down but with more downhills with a final 1.5km dead flat again. I live round the area and do a lot of training runs around bits of the course. i am in for the bluewater run this year and am still not 100% sure about the 1/2marathon but will probably enter when I get paid.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Week 4 of training, After struggling for the first mile or so I turned in a 6.8 mile run in 1 hour 20 minutes mainly running on the flat, now I have to start using the surrounding hills to build up to the Bluewater 10k which apparently is quite hilly? any lifers do the run last year confirm that.

it is indeed quite hilly. I did it last year in around 48mins.

The first 3-4km are dead flat. then from 4-5km is virtually all up hill.

The second half of the race is a bit up and down but with more downhills with a final 1.5km dead flat again. I live round the area and do a lot of training runs around bits of the course. i am in for the bluewater run this year and am still not 100% sure about the 1/2marathon but will probably enter when I get paid.

Are they steep as in Shootershill/ Hillreach, or more steady like say John Wilson street? and thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]

Are they steep as in Shootershill/ Hillreach, or more steady like say John Wilson street? and thanks for the heads up.

The main hill comes in three parts.

part 1: a long straight drag up. Not too steep but because it is a dual carriageway it feels longer than it is.

part 2: starts fairly easy but curvers round to part three getting gradually tougher.

part 3: a lot steeper. Goes on for about 250-300m, by this point it will be hurting.

This Link

shows the route and if you click show elevation you will get an idea of the gradiant it goes up to about 4% at this point.

If you wish I am happy to do a run round some of the route with you one sunday if you fancy driving to greenhithe. it is easy enough to park nearby.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Kigelia, nearer the run I'll almost certainly take you up on your offer.
  • Options
    Week 5 of training, Using the route I trained on last year I turned in a 5.1 mile run just on the hour. Using some of the surrounding hills especially the climb up John Wilson Street at the end is a killer, but to do it on the hour is very pleasing, and starting this week I will running an extra 2 nights a week with just over 2 months to the Bluewater run I need to shift a few pounds.
  • Options
    apart from the Bluewater leg, that run is the 5 miler I have been using to train for the Darent Valley 10k. The slow climb from Crossways up Cotton Lane to London Rd is a killer!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Week 5 of training, Using the route I trained on last year I turned in a 5.1 mile run just on the hour. Using some of the surrounding hills especially the climb up John Wilson Street at the end is a killer, but to do it on the hour is very pleasing, and starting this week I will running an extra 2 nights a week with just over 2 months to the Bluewater run I need to shift a few pounds.

did about 10k yesterday (3k warm up with my son then 7k on my own) was hard going as I have had a cold this week. did my solo bit in around 35mins.

TCE as a bit of training advice I would recommend that you make one of your two midweek runs be done at the pace you expect to run the 10k in and the other at slightly faster.

Eg if you are planning running the 10k in an hour, do one of the runs at 6mins/km (start at about 2miles at this pace if possible than slowly increase it). Do the second run at 5mins/km but for less distance eg. 1.5miles and build up gradually.

It is a very basic training programme but will do wonders for you finish time. The longer run on a sunday would be done at a slower than race pace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for that Kigelia, the trouble I have is getting going!! it takes me 2/3 miles to start enjoying it, I could very easily give up every step of the first half hour its mental torture. I dont really set myself a target time for finishing, I just aim to finish.