Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life's 2008 Demelza Appeal - Greenwich half-marathon run

Comments

• Think I might just jog straight onto the ferry...
  • Right Ladies and gentlemen, need to get myself some plimsols for the big day, I have never bought a pair for actually running in so a bit of help with names or brands would be appreciated, my budget is £40/£50 getting over the thames to that running shop isnt an option at the moment, so its your average sports shop in Charlton/woolwich/bexleyheath areas.
    Thanks again.
    I`ll need plenty of advice on getting fitter for the run, at the moment I run like a heavier version of Danny Shittu ;(
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Right Ladies and gentlemen, need to get myself some plimsols for the big day, I have never bought a pair for actually running in so a bit of help with names or brands would be appreciated, my budget is £40/£50 getting over the thames to that running shop isnt an option at the moment, so its your average sports shop in Charlton/woolwich/bexleyheath areas.
    Thanks again.
    I`ll need plenty of advice on getting fitter for the run, at the moment I run like a heavier version of Danny Shittu ;(

To get by on the cheap I would do the following. use the wet footprint test:

wet foot print - scroll down

to work out how you are likely to run, then go to the web (somewhere like bournesports) and buy a pair suitable for your style there. You should be able to get something for the right price online. This way you get something for a decent price that is not likely to injure you.
  • I admire you guys for doing it.

Count me out though as I'm desperately out of shape, and theres no chance I'll be able to walk / jog / run 13 miles come october.

Best of luck though people.
  • ive signed up already but was going to it for a dementia charity due to work links but happy to donate and wear a shirt or maybe split donations and wear a shirt
  • Seriously thinking about this. Doing 5k (Bobby Moore) and 10k (Bupa Capital) runs in the Summer but have never gone further than 10k (6.2 miles). Only thing is the half marathon falls during the season which is a killer for doing a regular training regime when I have so many midweek matches. Pay day tomorrow so could still be tempted.
  • Christ is there any chance that someone is going to sign up that has never so much as run for a bus before? that rates their chances of finishing as unlikely? and would like to join me at the very back of the field of runners worring the crap out of the St Johns Ambulance volunteers??????????
    Oi Luva Luva, you put your name down yet??
  • I'll be there with you TCE.... I've already got the Red Cross to order extra oxygen ;-)

Most I've ever run before is a mile....
  • T.C.E I fall perfectly into that group!
  • I have been running between three & four times a week since I was 17 but I have never run more than 10 miles in any one run. Think everyone is gonna find it tough.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Christ is there any chance that someone is going to sign up that has never so much as run for a bus before? that rates their chances of finishing as unlikely? and would like to join me at the very back of the field of runners worring the crap out of the St Johns Ambulance volunteers??????????
    Oi Luva Luva, you put your name down yet??

me! I'd rather wait for the next bus than run for the one already at the bus stop 20 ft in front :-)
  • Right I`m ready, got me shiny new plimsols theres no stopping me now (especially downhill) :) but I have just thought of something should I
    a, Run for a set time
    b, Run for a set distance
    c, Run till I throw up and continue
    d, Run then walk, run then walk, then collapse
    e, Run till I drop ( I dont like this option)
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Right I`m ready, got me shiny new plimsols theres no stopping me now (especially downhill) :) but I have just thought of something should I
    a, Run for a set time
    e, Run till I drop ( I dont like this option)

If you haven't done anything for a long time, then aim to get on your feet for about 10minutes at the start. ideally running the whole time but if that is too tough then walk for a bit. Work up to being able to run the whole ten minutes then next time try for 11. work up to about 20minutes like this then you can start some training with a bit more structure. Eg doing a long run and then some shorter but slightly faster stuff.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Right I`m ready, got me shiny new plimsols theres no stopping me now (especially downhill) :) but I have just thought of something should I
    a, Run for a set time
    e, Run till I drop ( I dont like this option)[/quote]

If you haven't done anything for a long time, then aim to get on your feet for about 10minutes at the start. ideally running the whole time but if that is too tough then walk for a bit. Work up to being able to run the whole ten minutes then next time try for 11. work up to about 20minutes like this then you can start some training with a bit more structure. Eg doing a long run and then some shorter but slightly faster stuff.[/quote]

Cheers for that Kigelia, I normally walk to The Valley from home on Shootershill would you recommend trying to run that sort of distance first off? it takes me about 25 minutes to walk so Should, I said Should take 10 to 15 minutes its about 2 and a little bit miles. thanks again
  • Took Ketman's advice and got straight back out there.

And haven't been able to walk without pain in my foot since :-(
  • I did a spin class last night for the first time ever... fooking evil, my lungs were bursting 10 mins in and Im now saddle sore... but what an exercise! got trainer again at 11.30 today... im taking this seriously! i just need to start road running.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I did a pub crawl last night for the first time ever... fooking evil, my liver was aching 10 mins in and Im now well rough... but what a night! got a boozy lunch again at 11.30 today... im taking this seriously! i just need to start having chasers with pints.

The truth
  • lol.

lol! if only...
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]

Cheers for that Kigelia, I normally walk to The Valley from home on Shootershill would you recommend trying to run that sort of distance first off? it takes me about 25 minutes to walk so Should, I said Should take 10 to 15 minutes its about 2 and a little bit miles. thanks again

That distance is alright but for the first few runs I would try to stick to relatively flat terrain (hard if you live on Shooters hill obviously). The problem is that the calf muscles are generally pretty easy to injure (I am suffering from this at the moment) and running on hills will stress them further and a bout of shin splints is not going to help things (and it hurts like hell).
  • Runners Need, in Canary Wharf, are doing another 15% off night. Monday the 10th March, between 4pm and 7:30pm....
  • Sponsored links:

• I've just been to Runners Need near Liverpool Street. Very impressed with the set up. Videoed me running and everything.

I asked how often i should change them... he said every 500 miles. Safe to say they will last me my lifetime then!
  • Hope everyone registered when they did, as the ballot doors are now closed.
  • Boom Boom!!
  • damn i missed it.

Good luck everyone - i'll sponsor Medders cos that is a deserving cause him running LOL

If it was a cycle ride I'd do it - maybe next year do a cycle ride.- but running no way I hate it with a passion.
  • I'll hold you to that Arf!!
  • 2009 I'll do a bike ride.

How about we pick a game which is about 150 miles from London, and ride that over two or three days?
  • I'm up for QPR away Sash ;-)
  • haha, I was thinking Derby or Norwich, but 15 miles to QPR would be interesting for some!
  • Going across town, must be hundreds of red lights to run... is that what you mean by 'interesting' ?!
  • Be interesting to see how many people get tempted to run a few, hehe.

But a longer ride would be more fun