Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just seen the Valley pitch............ (OXFORD GAME POSTPONED)

And whilst unlike Sparrow's Lane in which on one pitch you literally needed a dingy last week, its not looking good. I'm no referee, but parts looked unplayable.

Comments

• I think Saturday will be off. getting the game on the following week is far more important.
  • agree I reckon it'll be off, the forecast tomorrow and saturday is just more rain.
  • We will have to play the re-arranged game midweek next week wouldn't we? Even then I would have doubts it will be playable if it rains.

We are screwed for the next few months if it keeps raining
  • I think if anyone spits on the pitch at the moment we're in trouble.
  • Could of done with this!!!!!!!!image
  • Cover it in sand (if the buget will stretch), perfect playing surface. Been done in the past by one of the top sides in the world and was ok to prem football on.
  • We may as well get it played if we can and move on.
    I know it didn't look great for the Sheff Wed game but Paddy only had three days to try and sort it out. A bit of sun and it will be like a bowling green again...
  • The 'bit of sun' is the problem part
  • Cover it in sand (if the buget will stretch), perfect playing surface. Been done in the past by one of the top sides in the world and was ok to prem football on.

Did we not play on one? lol

• Sponsored links:

Coventry away April 1988

I remember that one...Jimmy Floyd tripping over a discarded bucket and spade to win a penalty.
  • If the game us in jeopardy , I hope the ref makes his inspection Friday afternoon or very early Saturday .
  • Was Chelsea's pitch not covered in sand due to the fact that they were relaying it mid-way through the season? I can see why covering a wet pitch in sand may help the movement of the ball, however it's only going to be a temporary fix and I can't see the league allowing it to stay like that for the rest of the season.
  • This was the pitch inspection at Selhurst Park before the Norwich game. Proves beyond all doubt that our pitch is not fit for football and a shame on the current owners .
  • Not looking good. At least the club are giving plenty of Notice. Looks like i will be going to Hemel v Biggleswade Town instead.
  • Based on what I saw this morning I'll "stick my neck out" and say not a hope in hell of it being played. If it can't be played next week then switch it to Oxford ? I can see major problems and a fixture backlog looming. (Not normally this pesimistic, think I might need a lie down !)
  • Not looking good. At least the club are giving plenty of Notice. Looks like i will be going to Hemel v Biggleswade Town instead.

deep down they must know that rain tomorrow will seal the postponement
  • Sponsored links:

• Well, the good news is we won't be going out of the cup this weekend. Every cloud an all that..........................
  • BBC weather forecast has improved. Only heavy rain is tonight and around 8am tomorrow.

Still think it is academic. They might as well call it off now.
  • Well, the good news is we won't be going out of the cup this weekend. Every cloud an all that..........................

Indeed ! hopefully we get a decent team in the next round so we field a half decent team against Oxford
  • BBC weather forecast has improved. Only heavy rain is tonight and around 8am tomorrow.

As awful as the pitch may be I don't think we can be the ones to judge whether it's playable or not sat from behind our computer screens.
  • When the referee makes his decision, is he allowed to factor in the possibility that playing the game may irreversibly damage the pitch for future matches? Or is he only permitted to consider whether the pitch is playable or not?
  • edited January 2014
    My understanding is that future use of the pitch doesn't come into the decision. The safety of the players (and the supporters) is the first consideration, and the referee will check if the ball runs freely and/or bounce true ie: does it gets get stuck in puddles/not bounce back up having hit the ground. If the latter, then he should postpone the game.
  • edited January 2014
    if it's played midweek we should be able to squeeze the crowd into a dugout !!
  • As LAMH (what a great name) said, the referees only factor in postponing a game is the safety of the players, or in extreme cases like the Doncaster match, whether it is physically possible to play the game at all! As to the future state of the pitch, as far as refs are concerned, that's for the club to sort for themselves, not the referee's responsibility - though if he was genuinely concerned it could endanger players but not to the point of calling the game off (e.g. slippery but playable) he would make a note of this.

This is what a friend who is training to be a ref said when I raised the question, he could well be talking out of his arse. (In which he'd fit right in round here. ;))
  • shine166 said:

Well, the good news is we won't be going out of the cup this weekend. Every cloud an all that..........................

Indeed ! hopefully we get a decent team in the next round so we field a half decent team against Oxford
    That's a very goo dpoint - If we got say Arsenal in teh next round - the Oxford game would suddenly be a lot more attractive.

So the game is saturday and if the forecast you've seen is right, there's heavy rain both thursday and friday!