Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just seen the Valley pitch............ (OXFORD GAME POSTPONED)

Comments

• Options
    Rochdale a couple of years back. Blissfully drove up on what seemed like a nice day, listening to music on the radio. Never occurred to me it might be off. Walked right up to the turnstiles thinking how sh*te their support must be, before it dawned on me there weren't any other Addicks around either. There was no discernible reason for calling it off and I was mightily p*ssed off.

So "day before" pitch inspections are to be preferred cos there will always be some poor loon like me who doesn't hear its off on the day...
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Rochdale a couple of years back. Blissfully drove up on what seemed like a nice day, listening to music on the radio. Never occurred to me it might be off. Walked right up to the turnstiles thinking how sh*te their support must be, before it dawned on me there weren't any other Addicks around either. There was no discernible reason for calling it off and I was mightily p*ssed off.

So "day before" pitch inspections are to be preferred cos there will always be some poor loon like me who doesn't hear its off on the day...

To be fair it was snowing like buggery on the way up there. We made it to a Little chef up the A1 and then turned back.

Did make it to Wallsall away two seasons ago - Jan 2nd I think. That wasn't called off until about 12.30pm after I'd parked up.

• Options

Was there as well. Drove up on the Friday. Did the same re Chesterfield! Lol
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Cover it in sand (if the buget will stretch), perfect playing surface. Been done in the past by one of the top sides in the world and was ok to prem football on.

Did we not play on one? lol

Coventry away April 1988
    Remember it well. Not a blade of grass on the pitch. A truly dour 0 - 0 draw, Robert Lee hitting the outside of the post the closest anyone got. Being marched like prisoners of war before and after the game to and from Coventry station. A reminder of what going to away games was like in the 80's. I'm convinced that the word shithole didn't exist before Highfield Road was built.
    http://youtu.be/f5W0h2SZcx8
  • Options
    "This pitch is getting very close to being unplayable"......... "and not even the puddle could prevent it creeping inside the post!"
    great cup game......
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The puddle actually made sure it crept inside the post, it was going in-off at best until it hit the standing water.

Was like school boy football in places with 6 or 7 player frantically hacking at a ball that just refused to roll. Would never have gone ahead these days, but was a great spectacle in its own way - days like that are a little bit of a loss to the game imho.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 51s
    UPDATE: Pitch inspection ahead of FA Cup tie against @OUFClive will take place at 11am on Friday morning --> http://bit.ly/1cnRfFX #cafc

cafc have asked all millwank fans to restrain themselves at the sight of the flag on this link

It's a triangle, signifying that we have won the FA Cup. Square flags belong to non-winners.

I know that mate but millwank and flags are the talk of the moment
  • Options
    Thanks for that link Exiled_Addick. My Mum was so incensed by the foul on Paul Williams it's the only time I can ever remember her joining in with the "the referee's a wanker" chants.
  • Options
    At this moment in time we know two things pretty much for certain and neither are official - firstly, we know we have been taken over and secondly, we know Saturday's game will be called off.
  • Options
    It's chucking it down in Plumstead
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

At this moment in time we know two things pretty much for certain and neither are official - firstly, we know we have been taken over and secondly, we know Saturday's game will be called off.

I agree with your second point. I'm yet to be convinced on your first.
  • Options
    Burnley in midweek.in the 90's
    Walsall a few years ago
    Chesterfield
  • Options
    Pissing down here in Woolwich and was all night. Already posted in the preview thread but won't be surprised if this game is off.
  • Options
    They normally call the game off late as they have to do everything they can for all those that have booked travel etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to have another pitch inspection tomorrow at 2:45pm, just to make sure that all fans have left home before they call it off!
  • Options

I agree with your second point. I'm yet to be convinced on your first.
    As I understand it the takeover has been rained off and the game will go ahead.
  • Options
    Was proper rainy / windy when I left home (Bexleyheath) this morning, yet when I got into London the skies were quite clear

Wouldnt be surprised if we had an 11am inspection and unless its pointless (quite possible) they'll request another inspection same time tomorrow
  • Options
    I can't imagine the club busting a gut to get this on - the pitch is only going to get damaged further if they do.
  • Options
    don't see the point in delaying it and having another inspection tomorrow, you only need to look at the forecast
  • Options
    In SE7 again this morning. I'm the one with the spotted wellies trying not to go base over apex in the mud. I'm afraid shopping at Bluewater looms for me on Saturday afternoon.
  • Options
    Frustratingly lay in bed last night listening to every drop hit my window, each one making me more and more distraught that tomorrows game won't be going ahead. The suspense is killing me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Frustratingly lay in bed last night listening to every drop hit my window, each one making me more and more distraught that tomorrows game won't be going ahead. The suspense is killing me.

If the pitch is as bad as I fear I will be glad if the game is called off. It looked okayish against Brighton but absolutely terrible against the Wendies. What the hell did they do to it in the meantime? If it's deteriorating at that rate then I'd rather give it a break and hope the weather improves.

• Options
    cabbles said:

Most memorable games that you have travelled to only for it to be called off on the day.

Mine was Newcastle away in the night during the Christmas period in 2003 (I think). Got 20 mins outside Newcastle, only for game to be called off just before 7ish. Wasn't even the pitch. Bloody council hadn't gritted the pavements and roads surrounding the stadium.

I remember my Dad going to Oldham away in the night in the mid 90s (95-96/96-97 perhaps). He went into some pub around 6.30, only to come out to a blanket of fog....

In recent memory, West Ham at home new years day. Was living in deepest dark Kent at the time, out until 6am. Went home showered and jumped on the train/ replacement buses up. Just as we pulled into Charlton a bloke gets on to inform us it was off... Could've actually got some kip!

Then Chesterfield the other year, train pulls into Derby everyones phone goes at once announcing it was off! To be fair east mids trains said if anyone had a specific train booked they could get the next train back on them tickets. We decided to stick to our 7pm train, about 20 out from 10.30 on the pop, led to a messy journey home, with 1 prominent lad stood on a table singing Jerusalem, me chatting up some women to relative success considering the volume of consumption... Another noble mention for Rochdale. I'd taken the Friday off work to go to Manchester to meet up with a girl I went yo uni with for a night out, just as the train departed I got a text to say it was off, so spent roughly £400 on trains, hotel and a night out. Didn't even get any proper action, as she was at that time...
  • Options
    The other one was Boxing Day v Southampton when D'Urso called it off, we'd travelled up from Kent, just parked up to be told it was off
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

If the pitch is as bad as I fear I will be glad if the game is called off. It looked okayish against Brighton but absolutely terrible against the Wendies. What the hell did they do to it in the meantime? If it's deteriorating at that rate then I'd rather give it a break and hope the weather improves.

You're not wrong Rizzo, but I've just bought a new coat and I was looking forward to showing it off.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Most memorable games that you have travelled to only for it to be called off on the day.

Mine was Newcastle away in the night during the Christmas period in 2003 (I think). Got 20 mins outside Newcastle, only for game to be called off just before 7ish. Wasn't even the pitch. Bloody council hadn't gritted the pavements and roads surrounding the stadium.

I remember my Dad going to Oldham away in the night in the mid 90s (95-96/96-97 perhaps). He went into some pub around 6.30, only to come out to a blanket of fog....

In recent memory, West Ham at home new years day. Was living in deepest dark Kent at the time, out until 6am. Went home showered and jumped on the train/ replacement buses up. Just as we pulled into Charlton a bloke gets on to inform us it was off... Could've actually got some kip!

Then Chesterfield the other year, train pulls into Derby everyones phone goes at once announcing it was off! To be fair east mids trains said if anyone had a specific train booked they could get the next train back on them tickets. We decided to stick to our 7pm train, about 20 out from 10.30 on the pop, led to a messy journey home, with 1 prominent lad stood on a table singing Jerusalem, me chatting up some women to relative success considering the volume of consumption... Another noble mention for Rochdale. I'd taken the Friday off work to go to Manchester to meet up with a girl I went yo uni with for a night out, just as the train departed I got a text to say it was off, so spent roughly £400 on trains, hotel and a night out. Didn't even get any proper action, as she was at that time...
    We should get a book on these ala charlton miscellany.....gotta be some good stories. the money raised will go to the new pitch
  • Options
    Wasted journeys to football grounds... reminds me of the time we played Liverpool, League Cup in 1996. We drew at home so replay at Anfield 2 weeks later or so I thought. Dad got me a ticket and I was going to meet him at the ground, he was getting the coach, I was driving from Reading.... Except when I got there, it was strangely quiet. Turns out the game was the following week. Tomorrow's match will be off for sure.
  • Options

Wasted journeys to football grounds... reminds me of the time we played Liverpool, League Cup in 1996. We drew at home so replay at Anfield 2 weeks later or so I thought. Dad got me a ticket and I was going to meet him at the ground, he was getting the coach, I was driving from Reading.... Except when I got there, it was strangely quiet. Turns out the game was the following week. Tomorrow's match will be off for sure.

That would definitely be in, but we're opening up the parameters a bit now. I sit opposite a guy at work who got the date a week out for a wedding. Unfortunately unlike football games, there was another wedding taking place and he said it took him about 10 minutes to clock he knew no one before making his escape
  • Options
    1 minute past 11. Still haven't been told the results of the pitch inspection. Communication under Roland no better than TJ and MS. Roland out.
  • Options

1 minute past 11. Still haven't been told the results of the pitch inspection. Communication under Roland no better than TJ and MS. Roland out.

it takes a while to get the canoe ready.
  • Options
    The referee is currently stuck in the mud. They are going to need the tractor to pull him free.