Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just seen the Valley pitch............ (OXFORD GAME POSTPONED)

12346»

Comments

• Options

From what I saw this morning, there isn't a hope in hell of Wednesday's game going ahead either I'm afraid, so don't get your hopes too high. Not only will we be in the 4th round of the Cup, but the 5th as well at this rate.

Which prompted me to post this earlier on the Match preview thread,
    'Leaving our unquenchable thirst to see our team in action aside for a minute, what are the pluses and minuses? The pitch gets a breather until Wednesday and maybe further respite on top of that if the Barnsley game goes as well. CP can put a lot more of his efforts into recruitment and contracts whilst the players get some recovery time in an enforced mid winter break. Drawbacks are that we can't keep the unbeaten momentum going and a possible fixture pile up threatens with income down in the short term. Hmm ......all in all a postponement or two is not such a bad thing is it'?
  • Options
    Seems as though Roland's first few hours have been positive
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

NWCorner said:

Listen people it's pretty simple. The drainage collapsed 2 summers ago. With four concrete stands all around the water has nowhere to go. The bare minimum has been spent on the pitch in the last 3 seasons. We have no undersoil heating. Some parts of the pitch only get a couple of hours sun a day. We have had no cover whatsoever for 3 years. There is no heat going into the pitch so re growth is difficult. It's pretty simple, until money is spent it won't improve. You can blame the groundsmen but Paddy has always produced a great pitch before all this and Nathan his assistant was head groundsmen at the HAC Artillery ground which is lovely. They ain't no fools. They need help and hopefully the new owner might fund things !

Interesting, and sounds fair. How come you are so ITK about the pitch?
    A little Groundsmen told me !
    They have known about the drainage for a couple of years but the owners have paid the bare minimum for the last two summers and wouldn't even pay for a pitch cover. New owners have been here one day and already the dome cover is coming in for a week and hopefully longer. It's embarrassing for the club, but times that embarrassment and frustration by ten that's how Paddy & Nathan have been feeling as there isn't much the can do about it !

• Options
    NWCorner said:

Davo55 said:

NWCorner said:

Listen people it's pretty simple. The drainage collapsed 2 summers ago. With four concrete stands all around the water has nowhere to go. The bare minimum has been spent on the pitch in the last 3 seasons. We have no undersoil heating. Some parts of the pitch only get a couple of hours sun a day. We have had no cover whatsoever for 3 years. There is no heat going into the pitch so re growth is difficult. It's pretty simple, until money is spent it won't improve. You can blame the groundsmen but Paddy has always produced a great pitch before all this and Nathan his assistant was head groundsmen at the HAC Artillery ground which is lovely. They ain't no fools. They need help and hopefully the new owner might fund things !

They have known about the drainage for a couple of years but the owners have paid the bare minimum for the last two summers and wouldn't even pay for a pitch cover. New owners have been here one day and already the dome cover is coming in for a week and hopefully longer. It's embarrassing for the club, but times that embarrassment and frustration by ten that's how Paddy & Nathan have been feeling as there isn't much the can do about it !

Cheers NWC. Someone gave me the answer in a PM. I am sure Paddy and Nathan are well pleased at developments and looking forward to establishing the kind of excellent pitch we need (and used to have) before the start of next season. Very pleased for them.
  • Options
    Interesting that the OS says that it's unlikely that the Oxford game will actually be on the 8th. I imagine that the 4th round draw will influence the efforts that are made.
  • Options
    I wonder how much "slack" the F.A will allow us before stipulating the match has to be played elsewhere ?
  • Options
    You could use Hillsboro if you wanted, decent pitch, big stadium and could put you and Oxford in one stand ;)
  • Options

You could use Hillsboro if you wanted, decent pitch, big stadium and could put you and Oxford in one stand ;)

We'll be in the FA Cup long after you're knocked out! Even if it's because we haven't actually played the 3rd round match.

And a nice rest for the crucial Barnsley game next Saturday :-)
  • Options
    NWCorner said:

Davo55 said:

NWCorner said:

I was told that we have spent £18,000 on the pitch but even little old Orient have spent £40,000 which gives us an idea how seriously the care of the pitch was taken.
  • Options

Cover it in sand (if the buget will stretch), perfect playing surface. Been done in the past by one of the top sides in the world and was ok to prem football on.

Did we not play on one? lol

I remember that one...Jimmy Floyd tripping over a discarded bucket and spade to win a penalty.
    The way he nodded in agreement at the ref, like he didn't know he tripped over his own foot. Aaggghhhh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We'll be in the FA Cup long after you're knocked out! Even if it's because we haven't actually played the 3rd round match.

Couldn't Palace help you out by letting you play there for a few games?
  • Options
    Ur right little piggy we would all fit as I certainly would bother going back to ur soulless crappy stadium
    And u certainly won't need it back in league 1
    Any way haven't u got a pigs forum u can crawl back to
    Or have u been chucked off them as well?
    Or r u really an addick in disguise?
  • Options

Couldn't Palace help you out by letting you play there for a few games?
    Enjoy your relegation battle it was nice being down there for a while to give us perspective for the next 18 months. How's your takeover going?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    PATCHY PITCHES?
    FREEZING FANS?
    Tired of patchy pitches, freezing fans and shoddy showers?

Capital One are giving 11 football grounds a makeover! If you know a ground that needs some TLC, head over to the Capital One Facebook page and tell them why a ground you know has Grounds For Improvement.
    One ground will win a makeover worth up to £75,000. There are also 10 runners up prizes of £5,000 each.

http://capone-comps.buildjam.co.uk/grounds-for-improvement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_o_bxYYq3Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Options

Dilapidated.
  • Options
    Bournemouth game is off. Waterlogged pitch.
    (They're a championship side too, by the way.)
    I wonder if they've had a drain collapse too?
    Maybe it's not so embarrassing after all, eh?
  • Options

Just got back in from the AFCB v Burton postponed game via the pub. Bit of a bummer for all concerned, especially if you've come down that far, but I wasn't surprised in the end. Dunno about up there but it's been raining heavily for about 10 days down here and everywhere is absolutely sodden. There's only so much water a pitch can take with or without broken drains.

Dare I risk a ticket for Barnsley is the question...
  • Options
    Shocking down here to Bournemouth.
  • Options
    Millwall 2 down and 10 men looks like it's going to be abandoned
    Lucky f#ckers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A good pitch is not just necessary but an investment as it allows better Football to be played. I am pleased that temporary measures (plastic dome) is on its way but we really need to install new drainage ASAP. If this weather continues much longer you begin to wonder how the hell we will complete the bloody season. The former owners should ashamed of themselves for allowing it to happen...disgraceful
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Just got back in from the AFCB v Burton postponed game via the pub. Bit of a bummer for all concerned, especially if you've come down that far, but I wasn't surprised in the end. Dunno about up there but it's been raining heavily for about 10 days down here and everywhere is absolutely sodden. There's only so much water a pitch can take with or without broken drains.

Dare I risk a ticket for Barnsley is the question...
    Barnsley game will definitely be on, as the pitch will be covered by the hired dome from Sunday, so it can't get wet & they can work on it, whilst in the dry (under the dome).
  • Options
    Putting a sheet over the ground is part of what needs to happen in the short term to get us through the season - digging up the pitch and sorting out the problem is the answer, but this can't be done until the season is over!!!