Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just seen the Valley pitch............ (OXFORD GAME POSTPONED)

Comments

• Options
    I've been sworn off FA Cup games since the Gillingham and Leicester fiascoes broke my heart when I was young, but I'd decided I'd show my support and go to this one. Seems like the FA Cup exile may continue. Disappointing.
  • Options
    a bit late if you ask me.

what about the Oxford supporters who may have booked trains/flights and hotel accommodation etc?
  • Options
    Play the game, what's the fuss about? West Brom played a puddle as a 12th man once in the cup against us, and the puddle scored.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    If it is postponed the new dated will probally be Tuesday/Wendsday 14th/15th. If Bournmouth or CAFC win, our league game on 25th will be postponed. If we win I hope CAFC get an away draw, then our next home game will be February 8th, thus giving the ptich 3weeks 3days to recover. Also if there are not to many replays CAFC may get a televised match on BT Sports for the re-arranged fixture.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Cover it in sand (if the buget will stretch), perfect playing surface. Been done in the past by one of the top sides in the world and was ok to prem football on.

Did we not play on one? lol

Coventry away April 1988
    Remember it well. Not a blade of grass on the pitch. A truly dour 0 - 0 draw, Robert Lee hitting the outside of the post the closest anyone got. Being marched like prisoners of war before and after the game to and from Coventry station. A reminder of what going to away games was like in the 80's. I'm convinced that the word shithole didn't exist before Highfield Road was built.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

what about the Oxford supporters who may have booked trains/flights and hotel accommodation etc?

Some fans book hotels and travel months in advance for games, at what point do you think it's suitable to postpone? Sorry but it's the night before at the earliest for me. It is in everybodies interest for it to go ahead so if they can delay the decision in the hope of improvements then all the better.
  • Options
    Friday is better than sat, what wont be good is if on Friday they say we will check again Saturday

and then call it off Saturday
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    seth plum said:

Play the game, what's the fuss about? West Brom played a puddle as a 12th man once in the cup against us, and the puddle scored.

Wasn't that at The Hawthorns in the fourth round, January 1990? - we lost 1-0 to the puddle. Also in that game: one of the most blatant penalties I've seen, not given: Paul Williams and a Baggies defender slipped over in the mud, Willo was quick to get up, but the defender - still prostrate - reached out, grabbed him by the ankle, and hauled him down. And the ref waved play on!

• Options
    Most memorable games that you have travelled to only for it to be called off on the day.

Mine was Newcastle away in the night during the Christmas period in 2003 (I think). Got 20 mins outside Newcastle, only for game to be called off just before 7ish. Wasn't even the pitch. Bloody council hadn't gritted the pavements and roads surrounding the stadium.

I remember my Dad going to Oldham away in the night in the mid 90s (95-96/96-97 perhaps). He went into some pub around 6.30, only to come out to a blanket of fog....
  • Options
    In terms of away matches have only ever been travelling to one that was cancelled... Chesterfield (when we won League One)
    Home Games... West Ham United / Southampton and of course Doncaster
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

Most memorable games that you have travelled to only for it to be called off on the day.

Mine was Newcastle away in the night during the Christmas period in 2003 (I think). Got 20 mins outside Newcastle, only for game to be called off just before 7ish. Wasn't even the pitch. Bloody council hadn't gritted the pavements and roads surrounding the stadium.

I remember my Dad going to Oldham away in the night in the mid 90s (95-96/96-97 perhaps). He went into some pub around 6.30, only to come out to a blanket of fog....

You think that's bad. I was inside the stadium, although it wasn't a completely wasted family weekend.

Being on the train to Chesterfield a couple of seasons back was a frustrating one as well. It wasn't so much that I missed the game, it was the fact that I was heading from university in Hull and was going to meet the parents for lunch before the game. As a student there is little else that will enrage you more than missing out on a free lunch.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

1965/66 - 3 games postponed while we were en route. October - Bury. A bunch of us went over to Maine Road MCFC 2-1 Ipswich. December - Bristol City : nothing to do but make our way back to London. April - Rotherham : snow started appearing after about Grantham, and sure enough by the time I got to Rotherham the game was off. Saw no other Addicks there, absolutely the bleakest, most cheerless and inhospitable place on Earth ....
  • Options
    cabbles said:

The Newcastle game was 2005 iirc.
  • Options

cabbles said:

You think that's bad. I was inside the stadium, although it wasn't a completely wasted family weekend.

Being on the train to Chesterfield a couple of seasons back was a frustrating one as well. It wasn't so much that I missed the game, it was the fact that I was heading from university in Hull and was going to meet the parents for lunch before the game. As a student there is little else that will enrage you more than missing out on a free lunch.
    1965/66 - 3 games postponed while we were en route. October - Bury. A bunch of us went over to Maine Road MCFC 2-1 Ipswich. December - Bristol City : nothing to do but make our way back to London. April - Rotherham : snow started appearing after about Grantham, and sure enough by the time I got to Rotherham the game was off. Saw no other Addicks there, absolutely the bleakest, most cheerless and inhospitable place on Earth ....

Yes I would imagine the 60s/70s/80s threw up some gems. I remember getting on the coach for Chesterfield away, but only getting an hour into the journey before finding out it was off. I remember people trying to look for alternative fixtures for local non league teams, and one chap going to Tonbridge Angels??? This is what happens to confused football followers when their team's game gets called off

• Options
    Ross said:

cabbles said:

I went to Oldham, yes it was 96/97. The pub was called the Old Gray Mare and the weather was clear when we went in and the fog was very thick when we came out. The weather wasn't much better when the game was actually played, driving wind and rain with us playing in Oldham's away kit. We scraped an equaliser in the last minute from Brendan O'Connell.

• Options
    The club cannot call the game off. It has to be the refs decision.

That's why it will have taken until today, how could they do anything sooner? Cant just order a ref in whenever you feel like it!
  • Options

Ross said:

cabbles said:

I went to Oldham, yes it was 96/97. The pub was called the Old Gray Mare and the weather was clear when we went in and the fog was very thick when we came out. The weather wasn't much better when the game was actually played, driving wind and rain with us playing in Oldham's away kit. We scraped an equaliser in the last minute from Brendan O'Connell.

What has that got to do with the Newcastle game?
  • Options
    Ross said:

Ross said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

• Options
    No big worry is it. Don't forget that January, February and March are well known as being particularly dry months in SE London.
  • Options
    Ross said:

cabbles said:

2005 - bloody hell. I've completely lost track of a lot of those premiership away games and when they were. Good memories on the replayed Oldham game.

I remember being told the wrong coach time departure by the supporters club and turning up too late for Oxford away in the mid 90s. Not quite the same but I was very keen at that age and was of course gutted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ross said:

Ross said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I saw that, but I was just saying what date the Newcastle game was. I didn't want details about the Oldham game!
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 51s
    UPDATE: Pitch inspection ahead of FA Cup tie against @OUFClive will take place at 11am on Friday morning --> http://bit.ly/1cnRfFX #cafc
  • Options

UPDATE: Pitch inspection ahead of FA Cup tie against @OUFClive will take place at 11am on Friday morning --> http://bit.ly/1cnRfFX #cafc

cafc have asked all millwank fans to restrain themselves at the sight of the flag on this link

• Options
    edited January 2014

cafc have asked all millwank fans to restrain themselves at the sight of the flag on this link

It's a triangle, signifying that we have won the FA Cup. Square flags belong to non-winners.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Trains maybe (and even then it's hardly the sort of long journey that fans would book non refundable advance tickets for), but I can't imagine many Oxford fans booking flights or accommodation for a game against Charlton!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    cabbles said:

Went to both of those, cabbles.

Memories, eh !

• Options

cabbles said:

Went to both of those, cabbles.

Memories, eh !

Aye.....only going to be taking in Doncaster and Leicester this season as they are new grounds for me. Hopefully this weather won't do me in on the Doncaster game, it being a Tuesday night and all.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Wasn't that at The Hawthorns in the fourth round, January 1990? - we lost 1-0 to the puddle. Also in that game: one of the most blatant penalties I've seen, not given: Paul Williams and a Baggies defender slipped over in the mud, Willo was quick to get up, but the defender - still prostrate - reached out, grabbed him by the ankle, and hauled him down. And the ref waved play on!

Isn't it the game where tv often shows Rob Lee sliding through a puddle to get to a ball as it goes out for a throw?

• Options
    The reason the pitch inspection is tomorrow is that, a local ref can inspect it and be persuaded to call it off make the decision, rather than wait until Saturday, when the actual match official decides it's playable.
  • Options
    If its called off at least we will be in the 4th round draw.