Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just seen the Valley pitch............ (OXFORD GAME POSTPONED)

Comments

• Options
    This on a Wednesday eve might as well just open one stand now?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm yet to see a picture of the wet muddy pitch in the foreground of the stadium which is a shame. I had assumed that was standard postponement rules.
  • Options

DRF said:

Oh the shame.

what shame????
    The shame of it being the Championship side calling off the FA cup game rather than a tin pot Sunday league side.
  • Options
    DRF said:

DRF said:

Oh the shame.

what shame????
    The shame of it being the Championship side calling off the FA cup game rather than a tin pot Sunday league side.
    After the deluge expected again tonight I don't think we'll be alone on that score..
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure we won't be the last game called off tomorrow
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited January 2014
    I didn't say we would be the only ones, but I bet most will be from leagues lower than us, which is my point.
  • Options
    Championship team, League One budget. Across the board.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

We should all know by now that Paddy is a top groundsman. It would be a disaster to lose him. Clearly the time has come for some investment in fixing the pitch - the easiest solution must be a deecnt cover. That way- rainfall on the pitch can be controlled.

Hardly a disaster. I've no desire to replace Paddy who is a club legend, but there will be several groundsmen out there who could do his job just as well
    Hardly a generous comment given he set up a fair percentage of your goals "kandf"!!

As with most things at our club over the last few years, the issue is not with the individual doing the job. The issue is with the investment into the tools that person has to work with. Given the known problems with the pitch, the investment has been woeful.

You're quite right though. Several groundsmen out there could do the job just as well...and the game would still be off!
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

We should all know by now that Paddy is a top groundsman. It would be a disaster to lose him. Clearly the time has come for some investment in fixing the pitch - the easiest solution must be a deecnt cover. That way- rainfall on the pitch can be controlled.

Hardly a disaster. I've no desire to replace Paddy who is a club legend, but there will be several groundsmen out there who could do his job just as well
    Hardly a generous comment given he set up a fair percentage of your goals "kandf"!!

As with most things at our club over the last few years, the issue is not with the individual doing the job. The issue is with the investment into the tools that person has to work with. Given the known problems with the pitch, the investment has been woeful.

You're quite right though. Several groundsmen out there could do the job just as well...and the game would still be off!
    If the problem dates back to shortcuts in the building of the North Stand in the mid 2000s, then the problem predates TJ and MS...

As for Paddy, he's 65 now, so I imagine he'll be hanging up his fork soon. I wonder if any other former players have become groundsmen?
  • Options
    DRF said:

DRF said:

Oh the shame.

what shame????

Agreed. It is pretty embarassing really. We'd no doubt be giving Oxford stick and calling them tin pot mugs if it was at their place and called off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Listen people it's pretty simple. The drainage collapsed 2 summers ago. With four concrete stands all around the water has nowhere to go. The bare minimum has been spent on the pitch in the last 3 seasons. We have no undersoil heating. Some parts of the pitch only get a couple of hours sun a day. We have had no cover whatsoever for 3 years. There is no heat going into the pitch so re growth is difficult. It's pretty simple, until money is spent it won't improve. You can blame the groundsmen but Paddy has always produced a great pitch before all this and Nathan his assistant was head groundsmen at the HAC Artillery ground which is lovely. They ain't no fools. They need help and hopefully the new owner might fund things !
  • Options
    Crawley v Bristol Rovers postponed.
    Waterlogged pitch.

Sorry @creepyaddick
  • Options
    somebody tell me how to drain a pitch well, i don't get how you could drain rain off.
  • Options
    How much would it cost to sort the problem out , and would that money be better off spent at a new stadium , with a new pitch , not trying to cause trouble , just be realistic , i guess money spent on the ground is less money spent on players salaries?
  • Options

How much would it cost to sort the problem out , and would that money be better off spent at a new stadium , with a new pitch , not trying to cause trouble , just be realistic , i guess money spent on the ground is less money spent on players salaries?

QPR & Watford spent over a million on theirs.
  • Options

Crawley v Bristol Rovers postponed.
    Waterlogged pitch.

Sorry @creepyaddick

Bloody hell thats a 2nd Round fixture as well... Not even the replay!!
  • Options
    Do people really think that just putting a sheet over a pitch is the answer to waterlogging? Seriously?
  • Options
    couldn't we just take wembley's pitch, they change it every few months and they probably do nothing with the old ones, miles better and at a cheaper price. bish bash bosh.
  • Options
    Or perhaps a 'drop-in' pitch similar to the one at the MCG?
  • Options

Isn't one of the pitches (created for the 2002 World Cup in South Korea / Japan) movable so can be wheeled inside and outside?

Am sure its the one we played Argentina on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Do people really think that just putting a sheet over a pitch is the answer to waterlogging? Seriously?

If we had enough people, with enough rolls of kitchen towels we could do it. Or even with Juan Sheet.

• Options
    Roland must be happy with the pitch - it looks like a Flanders Field
  • Options

I see your point, but as you need to pay for the pitch where ever it is I'm going to stick my neck out and say that building stands for 27,000 seats might just swing it to being cheaper to stay at The Valley.
  • Options

Isn't one of the pitches (created for the 2002 World Cup in South Korea / Japan) movable so can be wheeled inside and outside?

Am sure its the one we played Argentina on
    where do we park it during the week?
  • Options
    Aren't Oxford one of the 2 teams that get to the boat race final every year?

Maybe it was a good thing we didn't play them on a water logged surface.
  • Options

I saw that, they had the local groundsman on the news, who said it was a wheely good pitch.
  • Options

I saw that, they had the local groundsman on the news, who said it was a wheely good pitch.
    Terrible... Just terrible BUT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapporo_Dome

The Dome is interesting in that it switches between two entirely different surfaces. Baseball games are played on an artificial turf field, while football games are held on a grass pitch that slides into and out of the stadium as needed. Some other stadiums that feature sliding pitches include the Veltins-Arena in Germany, GelreDome in the Netherlands, and University of Phoenix Stadium in the United States; however, unlike these three facilities, the Sapporo Dome has a fixed roof.

Conversion from baseball to football begins with the storage of the baseball field's artificial turf. Once finished, a set of lower bowl bleachers rotate from an angled position for baseball to a parallel position. A set of main bowl seats on one end of the dome then retracts, and the football pitch is slid into the stadium. The lower bowl is then rotated 90 degrees. Conversion from football to baseball occurs in reverse. Due to the retraction of seats, the Stadium has a capacity of only 40,476 for baseball games.
  • Options
    NWCorner said:

Listen people it's pretty simple. The drainage collapsed 2 summers ago. With four concrete stands all around the water has nowhere to go. The bare minimum has been spent on the pitch in the last 3 seasons. We have no undersoil heating. Some parts of the pitch only get a couple of hours sun a day. We have had no cover whatsoever for 3 years. There is no heat going into the pitch so re growth is difficult. It's pretty simple, until money is spent it won't improve. You can blame the groundsmen but Paddy has always produced a great pitch before all this and Nathan his assistant was head groundsmen at the HAC Artillery ground which is lovely. They ain't no fools. They need help and hopefully the new owner might fund things !

Interesting, and sounds fair. How come you are so ITK about the pitch?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    From what I saw this morning, there isn't a hope in hell of Wednesday's game going ahead either I'm afraid, so don't get your hopes too high. Not only will we be in the 4th round of the Cup, but the 5th as well at this rate.