Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Brighton post match views 2013

edited December 2013 in General Charlton
Three goals, three points at home. That's made my Boxing Day.

Comments

• Charlatans? What do you mean, won by irregular means?

• Proves Santa is a Charlton fan - FACT
  • Made the day that result, Massive result to come next and onwards and upwards.
  • Missed the game. Hosting my dad's 70th birthday party instead.

What a great result. Chuffed for all those involved and those there.

Another three points on Sunday would be fantastic.

Happy Boxing Day all.
  • Best. Present. Ever.
  • edited December 2013
    Wilson, two well taken goals and a great free kick from Yann. Seem to get the run of the green, which we haven't been of late. Sat back at the end and invited them on to us. Would like to see their second, not sure how the scorer wasn't offside.

Not sure about the Wilson song, think it's out of order.
  • Very happy with the result got my family rd for a boxing day booze as per normal on boxing day and I can watch the sky sports centre without concern
  • Great 3 points. Well done lads. Bring on the Massives!!
  • Great result for the lads. I had a cheeky £1 on 3-2 so £41 back. Yan was immense today. The ref shocking, was a pen in the first half.
  • Sponsored links:

• 35% possession and we win !!

That 5 point gap looks pretty nice (before the rest of the games), being above Millwall makes it even sweeter.
  • Yann was covered from head to toe in mud.
  • Yann was covered from head to toe in mud.

Yann was covered from head to toe in mud.

Hero
  • Great game, would have been more comfortable if we had tackled a bit higher up the pitch, inviting them on and putting ourselves under pressure, after we scored confidence was obvious in the team and we played some really good stuff. Sat in a massive queue to get out of the car park, glad I am not a Brighton fan. Oh I thought it was a straight red elbow oon Yann from my seat in the East Terrace, I know he tends to play up to his tackles (and he does take some vicious ones) but it looked obvious to me, would also like to see the penalty shout again. Nice little run now so we can move clear and concentrate on the cup!
  • Wilson, two well taken goals and a great free kick from Yann. Seem to get the run if the green, which we haven't been of late. Sat back at the end and invited them on to us. Would like to see their second, not sure how the scorer wasn't offside.

Maybe from the Brussel Sprouts
  • Great win. As someone else said it didn't even seem like we played much better than we have in the last few games, we just had a bit of luck and finished really well. Did anyone have a decent view of the Evina 'penalty'? Seemed pretty clear to me.
  • Wilson song?
  • Very poor first half from the lads... I sometimes try to look on the match as a neutral rather than as a Charlton fan and felt that our first goal was completely against the run of play, though saying that Football isnt all about pretty passing and Brighton should have defended it better.

Second Half and I felt Powell must really have got into his players (thats why he should still be our manager for the haters)... The players worked together closing down the opposition resulting in them having no time to pass the ball and allowed us to counter attack.

Completely the opposite for Wilson's second and Yann's goals - They were both really deserved, special recognition for Wilson today as he works extremely well having Solly behind him

After the bad luck we had against Reading / Yeovil / Derby I certainly felt our luck was with us today when they hit the bar and hit two shots just wide, not sure why the players were complaining about the Brighton second goal though (Offside?)

Referee also did well today, only a handful of questionable decisions, Church when he was thrown off the ball right in front of Powell (Is he becoming a bit of a diver?) and the Evina penalty appeal (Again should have been a yellow card if not a pen, although where did his pace come from? Didnt realise he was so quick)

Anyway onwards to Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday... I feel though its still a must win match as defeat will drag us straight back into the fight whilst anything else will really give us a bit of breathing space
  • Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:

Great win. As someone else said it didn't even seem like we played much better than we have in the last few games, we just had a bit of luck and finished really well. Did anyone have a decent view of the Evina 'penalty'? Seemed pretty clear to me.

Right in front of me. He dived.

• Great result. A bit lucky, but we've been unlucky often enough.

Wasn't a penalty. Surprised he didn't get booked for diving.
  • edited December 2013

I think with his second goal he took it well in jest which of course it should be

Felt as well its more to do with being released as a Youngster and not being ready (which he'll be first to admit) than being rubbish with Charlton when he re-joined us
  • Think Solly being back makes a big difference. Deserved to win and beat a good side.
  • That's beauty of a free kick, lovely shape on it.

Didn't realise it was an early kick off so woke up at just before 8 as usual only to find I'd missed it. Pleasantly surprised to see we'd won though. Hopefully that breeds some confidence before a really important couple of games.

I assume Brighton set up to win? We often do better against teams that attack us and leave us some space, lets hope the confidence gained allows us to play with some more freedom and fluency vs Wednesday.

Yann getting fit and in form in the nick of time.
  • Not sure about the Wilson song, think it's out of order.

I think with his second goal he took it well in jest which of course it should be

Felt as well its more to do with being released as a Youngster and not being ready (which he'll be first to admit) than being rubbish with Charlton when he re-joined us
    What song is it? What are the words?
  • dizzee said:

There's only one Laurie Wilson, one Laurie Wilson
    Used to be shite
    But now he's alright
    Walking in a Wilson Wonderland
  • edited December 2013
    dizzee said:

To the tune of winter wonderland 'he used to be shite but now he's alright'
  • Game changed when we thought well yes you can have the ball as much as you like but you ain't doing much with it and WE upped the pace.

Very enjoyable, Wilson song cracked me up.

Great finishes by Wilson and Kerm.

Ref was a bottle job.