Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brighton post match views 2013

Comments

• Options
    The ref was good or at least less bad that those we have suffered earlier in the season. I would like to see the highlights again but to me it was a fair shout for a pen and another incident could have been a second yellow?
    With Solly and Wood back and Kermorgant back to his best we looked a lot more fluid, solid on the ball. I really rate Stephens and Cousins - our best midfield pairing for a long time.

And we are up for a cracking game vs Wednesday. Can't wait!
  • Options

Re the ref, I thought he made some good decisions and some that were baffling. Probably a red, as Yann would have been clear on goal cutting in from the right, even if he wasn't facing the goal when cut down, but worse, the same guy barged Church into the West Stand and he gave nothing, when, had he blown, it would have been a second yellow. Bottled it. If people sitting on the NW side say Evina dived, then fair enough, in which case why no yellow?

But there were times when he did make good decisions which kept things flowing. So not the worst, but definitely not an "excellent" from me. Yann Kermorgant. That is what I call excellent.

I'd much rather every ref allowed the game to flow, rather than blowing up for every minor indiscretion. Definite second bookable on Church, but was pleased he didn't get sent off as it would have spoiled the game.
  • Options
    Brighton looked better when the pace was slow and they could pass it around us. When we upped the tempo though, we looked a far better side. Their lumbering defenders couldn't deal with it when we ran at them, and even when Garcia took off the woeful Bruno Slater at half time we still had the upper hand whenever we ran at them. Everyone of our team played well today but I think special mentions need to go to Wilson who absolutely buried his two chances (how it feels to see the net billow like that), Cousins who was picking out brilliant passes (what vision that guy has) and Kermorgant who was our best forward and also a decent shout for best defender as well.
  • Options
    If we had got that pen for the fould on Ceddy with Lawrie on a hat-trick it would have been an interesting discussion between with him and Yann.
  • Options
    Battling win that we really needed (and deserved).

Special mention for Cousins - he covered every blade of grass patch of mud and used the ball really well.
    We need to enjoy his performances while we can, as I fear he is not going to be with us for long.
  • Options
    I can't believe that some people are praising the ref today although he was right about the Evina penalty appeal, right in front of us and never a penalty. I like to see a ref let the game flow and allowing advantage but he was ignoring blatant fouls from both sides. Chickened out of sending off their defender for bringing down Yann. The ref will say that he was heading at a slight angle from the goal but that was how Yann beat the defender, after that he would have had a clear run on goal.

Other than that a great way to spend boxing day.
  • Options
    Brighton fans saying the pitch made the difference: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?292254-Just-back-from-Charlton
  • Options

Brighton fans saying the pitch made the difference: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?292254-Just-back-from-Charlton

How can their fans say the ref was poor I remember when their player almost threw Church of the pitch and we never got a free kick not to mention El-Abd only getting a booking when we was about to go 1 on 1 with the keeper
  • Options
    Much more like it today, a good positive performance against a side likely to be around the play-offs. Question is can we keep it going in a huge game against the massives on sunday? Great to see solly back as if he has never been away and kermogant right back to his best. If we keep playing like that we will be fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If we had got that pen for the fould on Ceddy with Lawrie on a hat-trick it would have been an interesting discussion between with him and Yann.

At 2-1 I was saying it would be interesting if we'd have got a pen... I'd only have wanted Wilson to take it had we been 3-1 up, anything else it should be Yann's unfortunately we're not in the position to be sentimental at the moment
  • Options
    That song is more ironic than moronic. Maybe you could sing it about the whole club over the last five years?
  • Options

At 2-1 I was saying it would be interesting if we'd have got a pen... I'd only have wanted Wilson to take it had we been 3-1 up, anything else it should be Yann's unfortunately we're not in the position to be sentimental at the moment
    You would not want to argue with Yann over who was taking it
  • Options

You would not want to argue with Yann over who was taking it
    I saw Yann scream in frustration towards my direction against Derby it was... That alone terrified me, he's the one person you wouldnt want to argue with, though I also imagine him to be a lovely bloke if your his team mate
  • Options
    Football is a game of opinions. However, someone on player marks thinks Stewart played better than Cosens ! You have to think some people must spend the bloody game on Facebook.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Posting without reading.
    Wow, what a fine experience that was. I can go back to quite liking Brighton until the away game, but is was so good to win today, so bloomin' good.
    Mind you, I would've taken a point before the game, and especially when they took the lead after a solemn sort of start from both teams. I think Dale and Alnwick might have done better with events leading to their goal, but it was impressive quick thinking by the Brighton midfielder which set up the play that led to their goal.
    For both of Lawries goals there seemed to be a moment where you felt yourself saying 'go on then', and Lawrie saying 'oh all right then' just before he scored, he is the stand still kind of goal celebrator, rather than the charge around type. Mind you looking at how knackered he looked just before he was subbed to his deserved standing ovation, Lawrie might feel all this charging up and down the right is harder work than being a full back.
    Wasn't it great to see Solly, and the combination of Solly and Wilson? Solly made one mistake all game, he won a brilliant tackle and gave the ball away, but to have him back has added so much to the team. There were the old brilliant decisions, the tenaciousness, the intelligence, the lovely skills (how about that one late on in front of the East Stand?) all reminded me what an utter gem Solly is, and we fans know a thing or two making him our Player of the Year two seasons running.
    Then we had Yann. I can't really think of the words to describe his performance today except to say; think of all the best things Yann does, all the best things about him, and there they all were today spread out like his presents to us under our Valley Christmas Tree. Yanns free kick? Pah! He scores when he wants, and he decided on that free kick, at that moment, today. The Brighton goalkeeper didn't move because Yann had already used his powers of thought control to root him to his line. very close to the man of the match today except we also had.....
    Jordan Cousins. The band Boys To Men were named in advance of the arrival of Jordan Cousins to give a title to what we are seeing from him. In all of the game, in the dodgy moments and the good bits, Jordan was always there. One minute doing the tidy up, the next tackling and blocking, the next passing neatly to a player in a good position, the next prompting an attack, and then surging enthusiastically forward. For me Cousins was outstanding today, eclipsing another excellent showing from Dale Stephens.
    All the team get an honourable mention in dispatches, although Stewart was only really any good late on for me.
    I have seen loads of memorable games between Brighton and us, and this ranks there with one of the most enjoyable ever. However it was also three desperately needed points.
    We must not lose to Sheffield Wednesday.
  • Options
    Some strange comments from a strange set of fans. We seemed to play football (I know, I was surprised too!) on that pitch just fine. Their defence was shocking. Furthermore, they had an extra man in midfield and yet still looked like they were getting overrun for nearly all of the second half. Not sure what they think they deserved to be honest.
  • Options
    Definitely felt the ball stuck to the pitch in some areas more than other but like when we were losing 3-1 to Doncaster both teams had to endure it and one side did it better than the other (Luckily for us that day the pitch was so bad the ball wouldnt bounce at all)
  • Options
    Well that was the perfect result to cheer everyone up, a typical Charlton performance full of blood and thunder topped off with Wilson and Kermorgant scoring christmas crackers. Yann looks back to his best and took along the way and you could see where he was putting that free kick as soon as it was given. Wilson also deserves a mention for getting up and down the pitch, defending brilliantly and chipping in with 2 well taken goals. And that little bit of luck that has eluded us came in the form of Brighton hitting the post twice and then seeing the ball deflected out for a corner. Perfect boxing day!
  • Options
    I think some are being lenient on the ref since we won.

From lower north it seemed there was malicious intent in both the incidents where a red could have been given. It was a well aimed elbow that floored Yann who was carving a course to goal. Church was more than body checked too. Their guy made sure he wasn't getting past.

Yes, he was trying to let the game flow but very questionable performance overall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wilson gets bantered week in week out by players, a jesty song by our fans after a good performance - he'll take it in good heart and find it funny, as it is funny, he knows he's at a tough level and played well today, be nice to have a song about you!!
  • Options
    Another thing I'll add about the ref but did it seem like he made the most delayed decisions that have ever been seen at a football match? It felt like he blew up for a foul that happened 30 seconds prior.

Their defence was shocking. .

I agree with this. It was as if they just couldn't tackle and our players seemed to just continually skip past them. A ridiculous run by Wiggins in the first half where he went past about 6 players was an example of this, that would have been the most amazing assist I have ever seen!
  • Options
    Well done Lawrie! Not sure about the song as in the last year and a half he has been one of our top 6 performers?
    He's a great bloke and wears his heart on his sleeve and deserves this!
    COYR
  • Options
    Thought his two celebrations were really muggy. However, fantastic result. Over the moon. Made my Christmas !
  • Options
    How were his celebrations muggy?

• Options

How were his celebrations muggy?

they weren't ...
  • Options
    I know they weren't, just wondered why the above poster thought they were.

Surely not a case of Charltons fans giving it but can't take it!
  • Options
    Sure he takes it in good spirit just as it's sung
    Why does there have to be an agenda with everything?