Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Brighton post match views 2013

Comments

• Thought we were brilliant second half. It was quite funny seeing Brighton just ditch their largely ineffective triangle passing and slow approach play in favour of long ball after about 75 minutes.

Nervy last couple of minutes but we deserved the win in my (unbiased!) opinion.

Oh, and a good result for Millwall too.
  • dizzee said:

Not sure about the Wilson song, think it's out of order.

I think with his second goal he took it well in jest which of course it should be

Felt as well its more to do with being released as a Youngster and not being ready (which he'll be first to admit) than being rubbish with Charlton when he re-joined us
    What song is it? What are the words?
    There's only one Laurie Wilson, one Laurie Wilson
    Used to be shite
    But now he's alright
    Walking in a Wilson Wonderland
    Great song. Can't believe I missed him get a brace!

Superb stuff from Wilson and charlton, we're going up!
  • THATS why I love Charlton.

You got Kermogant who's just come back from injury yet won every header and throws his bollocks on the line everytime the ball comes near him. Class free kick.

You got Wilson who receives plenty of stick, from myself included and yet took both his chances really well. The song is out of order and it does have to do with him being shite when he joined us. Didn't sit to well with me that song.

You got Solly who also has just come back from injury and puts in a class performance like that.

All 11 players really put in a shift against a tidy Brighton side (the no 26 was quality). Special mention to Stephens who looked a class above at times.

Great afternoons entertainment.

Well done Charlton.

Agree with this. Think the song was poor. What's he going to think when he hears that? Even if he smiled it off, it's got to be embarrassing and/or disheartening hearing your supporters chant that they used to think you were crap.
  • any vids of goals / links? Yann free kick magic.
  • Cédric Evina ‏@ceddyevina 2m
    Oi @Lawrie_Wilson whatever you ate yesterday, you make sure you keep eating that pal #goalmachine! What a good win #cafc
  • THATS why I love Charlton.

You got Kermogant who's just come back from injury yet won every header and throws his bollocks on the line everytime the ball comes near him. Class free kick.

You got Wilson who receives plenty of stick, from myself included and yet took both his chances really well. The song is out of order and it does have to do with him being shite when he joined us. Didn't sit to well with me that song.

You got Solly who also has just come back from injury and puts in a class performance like that.

All 11 players really put in a shift against a tidy Brighton side (the no 26 was quality). Special mention to Stephens who looked a class above at times.

Great afternoons entertainment.

Well done Charlton.

Agree with this. Think the song was poor. What's he going to think when he hears that? Even if he smiled it off, it's got to be embarrassing and/or disheartening hearing your supporters chant that they used to think you were crap.
    'Alright' is hardly glowing praise either. Shitty way to treat one of our players IMO, especially a former youth player whose effort can very rarely be faulted.

• Cousins MoM by a mile.
    Great song for Wilson who played very well. To all the sensitive souls its only a song it doesnt mean we all think hes shite and Chris Solly is not 5'3" or better than John Terry.
    Ref was excellent.
    Great FK by Yann.
    Hopefully now Powell has his best 11 available we can build on it!
  • Start of the promotion push. Magic boxing day. COYR's
  • Sponsored links:

• Just turned the BBC on to get the score at half time !

Result

• Thought Cousins and Kermongant were superb. I'm a Wilson fan anyway so was great to dig out the two twats behind who booed his name. Song for Wilson poor sung mostly by those who should probably be eating humble pie.
  • That team should be nowhere near the relegation places. Solly and Yann being back and Yann being fully fit has made a huge difference to the team. Pushing Wilson forward with Solly behind has really strengthened the right side. Why oh why has Powell been playing with one (half fit) forward at home? We looked a different team today with two up front. We looked dangerous coming forward and the crowd was buzzing once more. Once Church was taken off we invited constant pressure again and conceded an inevitable goal.
  • Jason Euell ‏@jasoneuell
    Buzzing with the result today. 3 points,3 goals and a great performance. Happy Days.. P.S @Lawrie_Wilson always been a good player⚽️⚽️#CAFC
  • edited December 2013

I'm far from sensitive, I just think it's a muggy song and I don't even rate Wilson

• Did not see that one coming. Two poor sides on the first half but we stepped up second. Well done lawrie Wilson took his goals well. He used to be shite but now he's alright.
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 54s
    CP: I've been saying to the players 'let's lift the shackles'. Let's put on a performance and really show what we're about. #cafc

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 53s
    CP: When the club's down and the players are down, they turn it on. They've done that today. #cafc
  • Great game for my first visit to The Valley this season. A couple of friends at half time said that it was poor, but we thought we were doing well.

Loved the Wilson song and clearly he did too. After his second, he stood in front of the Covered End cupping his ears telling us all to sing it again. I am sure that his team mates have given a rousing rendition already.

Unfortunately, we had to leave with 20 minutes left due to family commitments. It was really lively at that point too.

As for the ref.. I can't agree that he did a good job apart from couple of decisions. The Yellow on their 6 was a stone bonker red in my opinion, to mention just one.
  • great game & great result. I thought the pitch helped - made it like the old days when they were muddy & sticky & you weren't sure if the ball was going to reach its intended destination and you could nip in & intercept.

I know a lot will disagree but I thought we played into their hands for the last 10 mins & should have gone for a 4th goal. No idea why we do it - I understand you may want to protect a lead but if we had gone any deeper our back line would have been in with the Brighton fans.

btw - I thought the ref was great today. Although he missed a few pushes & nudges he let the game flow & wasn't always blowing for little things. I would like to see the Evina challenge again but a few on here have said he dived so maybe fair enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 51s
    CP: There was a lot of passion, and energy. Not only from the players but from the stands. It just felt like Charlton pic.twitter.com/pubm5kWs8Z
  • Lawrie Wilson ‏@Lawrie_Wilson 1m
    "He used to be shite, but now he's alright!" #cafc

Wilson's just tweeted the lyrics of his song. I've eaten my words!

The first time it was sang with volume I think I saw him so smile. I am so happy he was there in space both times rather than another right-midfielder we have, the outcome today would have been very different.
  • edited December 2013
    Most pleasing thing about today is how well Stephens and Cousins handled the three centre mids of Brighton. They did it with ease.
  • Have to admit from where I was sitting the foul on Kermorgant looked more like he'd been shoved off the ball rather than a elbow (Had it indeed been that then I retract my comments and reckon Al-Abd should have been sent off).

Had it been the latter I can certainly understand it being a yellow... Al-Abd wasnt the last man and Yann wasnt heading towards goal.

Again it looked to me as though Church had been shoved off the pitch rather than him being kicked off (I was in the East Stand and still thought it was a Free-kick but if he was kicked off then should definitely have gone for those two decisions)
  • Fantastic three points and sets up the Sheffield Wednesday game nicely.
  • Where do that result come from? Awesome! Cousins was outstanding
  • Very soft defending for their first goal.
    Excellent game from Cousins.
    Kermorgant was a rock as always.

Well done lads!
  • Killer Wilson .. get in there !!!!!
  • Re the ref, I thought he made some good decisions and some that were baffling. Probably a red, as Yann would have been clear on goal cutting in from the right, even if he wasn't facing the goal when cut down, but worse, the same guy barged Church into the West Stand and he gave nothing, when, had he blown, it would have been a second yellow. Bottled it. If people sitting on the NW side say Evina dived, then fair enough, in which case why no yellow?

But there were times when he did make good decisions which kept things flowing. So not the worst, but definitely not an "excellent" from me. Yann Kermorgant. That is what I call excellent.