Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brighton post match views 2013

Comments

• Options
    haha. It was good old fashioned banter between player and fans. No problems with the song or the reaction.
  • Options
    We're winning at home, we're winning home, how shit must you be, we're winning at home....

Great crack today, thought the Wilson song was in good spirits. For me, Harriot now plays instead of Stewart and a fit Hamer replaces Alnwick. Looking forward to Sunday and another 3 points!!!!!!
  • Options
    In short, great 2nd half performance on a pitch that didn't help at all. Cousins my MOM but some very tidy performances from a lot of the team. I thought Wilson took the song in good humour - at least, I hope so. Not so great if he didn't.

I thought the ref was pretty poor, missing the ridiculous push on Stephens for their first, Church's mugging in front of the dugout, possibly an offside for their 2nd and various other inexplicable decisions, but credit to him for awarding the free-kick for Yann's goal after the 'advantage' broke down. Also got the Ceddy 'penalty' right - I think he was already on his way down. Though again, why no yellow?

Don't want to gripe on a win, but wasn't keen on the subs - Dervite for Church ok, but should have left Stewart on for his pace and to keep their defenders engaged so that our clearances didn't just come straight back to us and invite too much pressure. Though to be fair, he might just have been knackered.

All in all a very good day indeed.
  • Options
    A really entertaining game which ignited in the second half and a thoroughly deserved win. For a team who had only conceded 6 in 10 away games, Brighton were extremely shaky at the bag and were dominated throughout by Yann, who was back to his imperious best.

Solly's return made a bid difference and Wood was excellent, but this was, above all, a very fine and extremely determined team performance. Classic Boxing Day fare and one we'll remember for some time.

A real chance on Sunday now to put some distance between ourselves and the bottom three.
  • Options
    I sit in the north so it was on the other side of the ground so I didn't see it properly, but what an amazing assist by Yann that is. Right foot, left foot, through the legs and boom. 1-1. Nice!
  • Options
    Great result and a great game Brighton are a decent side who overplay and i thought they were over physical at times. How their no 6 didnt get sent off i dont know.

The officials today in my view were diabolical (not the worst weve had all season) but how many times did the ball go over the line for a throw and not given, they also missed a clear push on Stephens for there first goal and how the heck is ullua not offside for their second. Evinas penalty exactly the same as Leeds Utd's second.

He only kept the game flowing and played advantage after he didnt give fouls to teams he should have.
  • Options
    Ref bottled sending off El-Abd, he completely clothes lined Yann, as for the Church incident by the dug outs, it's rare for the gaffer to completely lose it, but he did. That tells you all you need to know about that incident.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDL said:

Ref bottled sending off El-Abd, he completely clothes lined Yann, as for the Church incident by the dug outs, it's rare for the gaffer to completely lose it, but he did. That tells you all you need to know about that incident.

This, this and this. I saw your tweet about Yann by the way, agree with what you said in that aswell!
  • Options
    Haven't read any posts yet but my Christmas letter to Santa obviously did the trick !

Great battling performance by ALL the lads after an iffy start & the proverbial mountain to scale - I just prayed we'd have our climbing boots on. But I failed to remember just how much character this group of players has in abundance & today they battled for each other with knobs on.

3 very good goals by 2 of our best players on the day. Thought Yann was the immense Beast we've undoubtedly been missing of late, working tirelessly for the team. And how good it is to have Mr 5 ft 3 back in harness....Looking back, I wonder how we won any points when these 2 were injured!

So many positives from today. We seriously need to hang onto Dale and young Jordan whilst Wiggy impresses me more with each game. Finally, although Ben H hasn't done too much wrong when he's worn the gloves, I feel the defenders trust in Ben A's handling and that the latter should hold on to his place in the starting line up.

But the secret weapon & the catalyst for this afternoon's win came from an underestimated source....any guesses ?

Following several Rip Van Winkle moments from the lino in front of us, coupled with a ref who was wearing the joke specs from his Christmas cracker, the East Stand stalwarts ( minus dear Bert aged 92 who wasn't well enough to attend this match) cast aside their blankets, threw down their flasks, girded their cumulative loins and MADE SOME NOISE !!!!!! Enough was enough ....we'd had it up to "here" with the officials & their poor treatment of our brave boys so we made it clear we wouldn't stand for it....And the rest is history.

A memorable Boxing Day hot on the heels of a brilliant time with the family and now 2 days to recover from the excitement before the arrival of the not so Massive on Sunday. With the red coat making its 3rd appearance in a row, I'm expecting more points to add to the 4 already gained & I can't wait !

Onwards & upwards !!!!
  • Options
    Have recently sold up in France so this was my first Valley game for nearly 3 years - great to be back.

From some of the comments here in recent weeks I as expecting a bunch of clueless park players-anything but.

I thought the defence was solid and Solly looked a class act. Only criticism defensively is that we tried to play our way out in tight situations when the boggy pitch was demanding an 'ave it!'. Solly & Wilson linked up very well but Wiggins and Stewart are clearly learning how to combine - whilst Wiggins had an 'eye catching' game I thought some of Stewart's 'errors' were because he was expecting Wiggins to make runs (e.g. overlaps) that he didn't - both are good players and when they get right they will be a real handful on the left - just a matter of time.

Stephens and Cousins worked hard an always posed a threat if given any space whatsoever - it was my first look at Cousins - I'm not sure I agree he had an 'outstanding' match (e.g. he was in no mans land for their 1st goal) but he undoubtedly had some outstanding moments - his quality is clear but, sadly, I'll be surprised if he's still with us next August.

After the 1st 15 mins I thought the front 2 would be our weak links - Church kept turning into trouble and Kermy looked sluggish. Both turned it around quickly particularly in the 2nd half and caused their defence many problems.

Overall feeling - keep it going CP, you don't seem to be doing a bad job.
  • Options
    Couldn't go today. Bloody typical! Great result and all the others went our way too so all in all a great day. Beat Wendies and we look well set.
  • Options
    Wow, thankyou Santa!

What a brilliant performance , and result, 1 nil down, I thought, here we go again, but the lads responded really well.

A really good team performance , really pleased for Lawrie, he's set the bar really high now, and I'll be expecting a hat trick in his next match :-0

Yann was immense , I shouted out , top left Yann as he took the free kick, this fella knows what he's
  • Options
    Cut off in my prime, could be the vino,

This fella knows what he's doing , bring on the Wendies!
  • Options
    We've played better at times (versus Leeds for instance, whom we battered but still lost to), but it was heroic stuff in the 2nd half today. Let's take the feelgood factor and that bit of good fortune which has evaded us up until now, and go out and give Wednesday a real good hiding! None of the plaudits about Yann are adequate. If anyone thinks we can lose him, Dale Stephens and Solly in January and survive, they're delusional. We have to ride out the storm until the right investment is secured - Trouble is, does anyone really know what this board is up to?......
    I hope Laurie Wilson didn't hear that song very clearly. I recall what a good understanding he was developing with Chris Solly prior to the latter's injury.
  • Options
    Not much to add to what others have said other than that was a huge result for us today, particularly from going behind once again. Real spirited second half show and great to see a spell of first touch pressure being played out higher up the pitch from strikers and midfield, getting the reward it deserved.

Follow it up chaps, follow it up !
  • Options
    Great Result with character to come back.... shame I couldn't go :(
  • Options
    Great win. Really pleased for the boys.

Thought the ref missed a blatant penalty in the first half - push on Church - and the push into the dugout was a joke. But am I right in thinking he allowed play to go on then called it back for Yann's free kick? If so, not all bad then.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the pre-match thread I predicted a win today, and then two more on the spin against Wednesday and then Ipswich. One down, two to go! With Yann back in fearsome form, Solly and Wiggins showing they are one of the strongest full back pairings in this Division, Stevo doing the business, Cousins continuing to both perform and develop and all the other lads pulling their weight, the time really is ripe for a run of wins. We haven't really had a good run of results yet this season and we are certainly good enough to get one. The turn around starts here.

Agree with much of the above. I thought we were quite poor and too timid in the first half hour or so, then something sparked both the players and the crowd and we looked an entirely different proposition. Happy Boxing Day, everyone!
  • Options
    Big big result to hang on to that and a real humdinger of a game.
    I got a bit emotional at the end seeing what it meant to SCP ,he nearly feels it as much as me !
    Great effort from everyone and makes Sunday/Wednesday a must not lose when I previously expected a must win!
    1% Top half lol ........ 13th-21st 64% ............ Bottom three 35%
  • Options
    Yup he certainly hesitated to see what would happen after Yann was brought down, he noticed we couldnt take advantage and brought it back
  • Options

Yann was covered from head to toe in mud.

Shame Stewart wasn't - a frustrating player to watch
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    We have a free-kick three yards outside of their box. The Brighton players swarm the ref; "It's outrageous, guv!" Their defenders line up the wall in the ref's ear, so he marches them back: stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp. I love all this - the drama, the intensity and the passion. Peep. The whole stadium falls silent. How can any player get it over the wall, curving and hard and so delicious, in to the onion-bag before the keeper even moved?

Cue, stadium erupts. Kermorgant is superb. Bring on the Wendies!
  • Options

Brighton fans saying the pitch made the difference: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?292254-Just-back-from-Charlton

Bitter much?
  • Options
    The team put themselves on the line and I believe you only go as far as they did, doing that, when you're 100% behind the gaffer.

The lack of comment from the dissenting few tells us all what type of fans they are.

In SCP we trust