Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Brighton post match views 2013

Comments

• Great result , cousins different class how much longer longer can we keep him, well done lads.
  • Great result showed alot of character today coming back from 1 nil. Second half was the first time in a while that we looked dangerous on every attack which was good to see.
  • Great result yesterday and we looked dangerous in the second half for around 25-minutes, but then sat back at 3-1 and invited them on to us. Pitch is not looking great though.
  • Great result. Cousins MOM

We didn't dominate possession, no. We never were going to, against a very fluid Brighton side. The only way to play against them, is push high, force errors and counter. However, the way there midfield and front three moved in the first half was brilliant to watch.

Second half CP obviously told them, we need to press high, and in packs, and not just Yann or Church. Forced them into mistakes, and playing long, which meant we were straight at them again.

Great subs by CP. Dorian to sweep, and Evina to push their RB back to his own goal. Give credit to CP on the subs today.

Thumbs up to all the Wilson haters out there too ;)

Onto Sunday. Massive game. Pardon the pun...
  • Typical! Couldn't go due to 'cooking' and 'granny' duty! Followed Redmidland's thread (many thanks) and couldn't believe my eyes. Superb win and fight from the boys. COYRs and Happy Christmas SCP!
  • COOPS said:

Pitch is not looking great though.

Pitch might not be looking great but I say leave as it is... We're gonna play on it more than any other team so we'll get used to it and hopefully use it to our advantage (kinda like Wigan and their infamous one when they were in the Premier League...)

Unless of course it doesnt work to our advantage and then we get rid lol!
  • Mametz said:

I can't believe that some people are praising the ref today although he was right about the Evina penalty appeal, right in front of us and never a penalty. I like to see a ref let the game flow and allowing advantage but he was ignoring blatant fouls from both sides. Chickened out of sending off their defender for bringing down Yann. The ref will say that he was heading at a slight angle from the goal but that was how Yann beat the defender, after that he would have had a clear run on goal.

Other than that a great way to spend boxing day.

Agree 100% regards the ref although, I can understand only a yellow with the foul on Yann. But the same defender should have been sent off after taking Church out right in front of Powell.
  • Just seen Kerm's superb footwork to set up the first for Wilson - I trust he was shouting noisette to Upson. Sitting in the NE quadrant, I thought Kerms had missed the free kick at first given the lack of movement from the goalkeeper but seeing it hit the net made my Xmas.

Given that Brighton were playing 5 in midfield both Cousins and Stephens were exceptional.

Ref missed a clear push in the build up to Brighton's first goal. El Abd is a very lucky boy.

I do wonder at times if we are a bit soft (only 4 fouls yesterday)- given the next game is against one of the League's dirtiest team perhaps we need to toughen up a little.
  • COOPS said:

Pitch might not be looking great but I say leave as it is... We're gonna play on it more than any other team so we'll get used to it and hopefully use it to our advantage (kinda like Wigan and their infamous one when they were in the Premier League...)

I think this may be one of the reasons why the home results improved towards the end of last season.

• Sponsored links:

• edited December 2013
    My thoughts. Firstly - very positive that we scored 3 goals against a side that is decent defensively. Secondly, I thought we deserved it - Brighton were tidy and focused going forward, but we battled and played at a tempo at times that they found hard to deal with. Thirdly, I'd consider playing Evina for Stewart on Sunday - had a directness that I think we badly need at home. I am getting fed up with watching Stewart running into defenders and getting out strengthed - we need to get them on the back foot as we eventually did - but more thanks to Wiggins on the left! Fourthly, I think Chrissy should have brought on Sordell for Church - having some pace would have invited less pressure than taking of a striker for an extra centre half - but that is being a bit picky!
  • "strenghted"? :- )

Stewart helped create two goals and when we had that extended spell of pressure leading up to our second was very much involved.

Powell got the subs 100% right.

Brighton had just hit the post twice and we were under the cosh. A DCM and a RM who has pace but can defend were the right choices. Nearly caught them on the break late on as they piled forwarded
  • I admit he came into the game more but it wasn't his doing - and Brighton were on the back foot. I want to see him put teams on the back foot as Harriot was doing at the end of last season (and not doing this). We clearly see things differently Henry - but in the absence of a goal scoring striker - Stewarts position is key for us at home and he doesn't quite do it for me.
  • My thoughts. Firstly - very positive that we scored 3 goals against a side that is decent defensively. Secondly, I thought we deserved it - Brighton were tidy and focused going forward, but we battled and played at a tempo at times that they found hard to deal with. Thirdly, I'd consider playing Evina for Stewart on Sunday - had a directness that I think we badly need at home. I am getting fed up with watching Stewart running into defenders and getting out strengthed - we need to get them on the back foot as we eventually did - but more thanks to Wiggins on the left! Fourthly, I think Chrissy should have brought on Sordell for Church - having some pace would have invited less pressure than taking of a striker for an extra centre half - but that is being a bit picky!

I think Stewart is more right footed than left (???), so he is going to prefer to cut in when playing on the left, which can sometimes be frustrating to watch as he is less likely to ping in an inviting early ball with his left foot.

Powell is clearly correct to not drop Wilson now Solly is back. If he thinks switching Stewart to the left to keep him in team is better than playing Harriot or Evina then fair play to him. No-one knows those players better than him.
  • Maybe we shouldn't bother posting opinions on this forum - We can answer any statement by Powell knows best after all - And I love Chrissy btw, but he can make errors and surely we can debate them!
  • Out of the three Stewart, Harriot and Evina I think The former is the most likely to pop up with a goal, pop up with an assist and get through a game without getting mud on his shorts. All very important I think you'll agree.
  • I think he plays Stewart because he has got goals and that is something we are short of. It is difficult, and I do undertsand - but at the Valley we do need to run at teams and put a bit of fear into them - I think it unlocks doors. Stewart did do that in the second, and has in some games to be fair - but sometimes you can just tell the defender is on top of him. It may be because he is playing on the left but it is an issue from my perspective.
  • Wingers will always come in and out of the game. The fact that Stewart didn't hide and caused problems 2nd half is a big plus for me. I think he's got great feet and likes to take people on, which as Charlton fans we aren't used to seeing. I hope we keep him for a while.
  • Wingers will always come in and out of the game. The fact that Stewart didn't hide and caused problems 2nd half is a big plus for me. I think he's got great feet and likes to take people on, which as Charlton fans we aren't used to seeing. I hope we keep him for a while.

He has one of the best first touches I have seen at the Valley for a long time. As VG says Wingers run hot and cold, I can't think of a single winger we have had who has turned it on week in week out.
  • sm said:

Just seen Kerm's superb footwork to set up the first for Wilson - I trust he was shouting noisette to Upson. Sitting in the NE quadrant, I thought Kerms had missed the free kick at first given the lack of movement from the goalkeeper but seeing it hit the net made my Xmas.

Given that Brighton were playing 5 in midfield both Cousins and Stephens were exceptional.

Ref missed a clear push in the build up to Brighton's first goal. El Abd is a very lucky boy.

I do wonder at times if we are a bit soft (only 4 fouls yesterday)- given the next game is against one of the League's dirtiest team perhaps we need to toughen up a little.

I think that Brighton's plan was to outnumber, outfight and outpass us in midfield. The fact that this didn't work with a very good footballing side gives the players enormous credit. A great day for players, management and fans - well done all.
  • Sponsored links:

• I seem to recall that when Stewart arrived at the club it was stated that he was a right-footed winger that preferred to play on the left (and is more effective there) - ala John Robinson.

This is how I see it too. If you play a winger, you're pretty much accepting they will flit in and out and offer less defensively than a wide midfielder. It's a gamble based on the hope that when they do get it right, they weigh in with assists or goals. All in all, I think Stewart has done that well for us.

• He has certainly scored goals - and good ones. Only one of those goals have won us a point (Yeovil). But I do undertsand the points being made - you can't expect him to be great every game - I would like to see him dominate a defender more though - I don't think I have truly seen this despite him getting some cracking goals. I don't think it would be a disaster if we didn't keep him, especially if we can bring in a different type of player with teh money.
  • Wilson is a good, hard-working and intelligent footballer who's never been 'shite.' He is a midfielder who was playing at right back to a very good level. Simple as that. Now he's back in midfield and playing very well.

Anyone who doesn't rate him needs to cast their mind back to when he tore our title-winning team apart for Stevenage when he played in a free-role and they won the game. One of only two teams to do so that season.
  • Wilson is a good, hard-working and intelligent footballer who's never been 'shite.' He is a midfielder who was playing at right back to a very good level. Simple as that. Now he's back in midfield and playing very well.

Anyone who doesn't rate him needs to cast their mind back to when he tore our title-winning team apart for Stevenage when he played in a free-role and they won the game. One of only two teams to do so that season.

He was excellent in the game at stevenage.
  • I think he has been an excellent signing for us.
  • Just seen the goals on CAFCPlayer... their 2nd goal was definitely onside... Solly was a little slow coming out so played Barnes on.

Great three goals from us though, was excellent from Wilson for the second letting the ball run across in front of him before rifling into the net, two awesome finishes
  • Got to thank the mother outlaw as I was contemplating a rare swerve until I saw her miserable festive fizzog at the breakfast table. Good old muck and bullets boxing day match. All the lads were great but special mention to the Beast of Breton who caused that sawn off number 6 all sorts of problems together with Churchy. Solly was back to his best up and down the heavy pitch the whole match. Wiggy got plenty of chalk on his boots and rarely does so without getting in quality ball. Cousins, this lad is just pure class looks like a seasoned pro despite his young age and number of games played.
    For Brighton I thought Bridcutt looked a good creative player.

• Just seen the goals on CAFCPlayer... their 2nd goal was definitely onside... Solly was a little slow coming out so played Barnes on.

Great three goals from us though, was excellent from Wilson for the second letting the ball run across in front of him before rifling into the net, two awesome finishes

Yes, you are right with that one - no complaints.