Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Brighton post match views 2013

12346»

Comments

• Just seen the goals on CAFCPlayer... their 2nd goal was definitely onside... Solly was a little slow coming out so played Barnes on.

Great three goals from us though, was excellent from Wilson for the second letting the ball run across in front of him before rifling into the net, two awesome finishes

Solly doesn't quite look 100% yet, but even at 95% is better than most right backs in the league. I'm sure he'll know he made an error and work on correcting it in future.
  • First time I have seen us win this season and it felt great. All the boys played well what a difference having Chris Solley back makes. Have to say Wilson took is goals really well he is a far better option than Pritchard who would still be trying to control the ball now.

Yann, Cousins and Wiggins were immense. Was a bit concerned at the end with the very defensive substitutions but in a way thats understandable. Onwards to the Wendies another 3 points would be fantastic. Well done CP and the lads.
  • An absolutely magic photo!
  • edited December 2013
    There was a good bit of professional time-wasting on Saturday. It's in to stoppage time, we have an attacking throw-in on the east side, and make a tactical substitution. Our player walks slowly off across the pitch, milking the applause from the PA, ref meets him half way to give him an encouraging chivvy. The ref is adding all this on, of course. High fives at the dug-out, Pritchard comes on, and trots very gently over to the east side, takes the ball off the man about to throw it in before the substitution, and throws it back to him! I was roaring with laughter. Hey, Ref - you are meant to whistle for the game to flow as soon as the sub crosses the line.
  • Yes, time wasting on the pitch kept them away. Also, on another note, said to my son when Yann went down near the end of normal time that the ref was going to play 4 minutes before that and won't change. The way time is kept at matches encourages players going down. Not bad when it is your favour though.
  • Great photograph and sums up the passion of SCP.
  • According to the stats on the BBC website, we had only 35 per cent of the possession. And 12 shots, against Brighton's 17.
  • 35%? Find that very hard to believe.
  • yes, I genuinely thought we deserved the victory
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2013
    Back in the country for Christmas and this was the first Charlton game I've seen in 2 years. A very pleasant surprise, was not expecting us to win.

I'll start with the sour note. The atmosphere at the Valley seems to have worsened over the last two years. I saw first hand why our home form is consistently bad. I sat in the East and the only time I ever heard anyone pipe up was when they were having a pop at one of the players - even when we were winning. Our ground has become a bitter, moany place. I remember Alex Ferguson saying in a Premiership Years interview that the Valley has a fantastic atmosphere and when the crowd gets going, the team can be impossible to contain. I wonder if we'll ever get back to that, because I don't think we've ever been further away.

On a happier note, I was surprised by how the team looks to have a good spine. Morrison, Cousins and Kermo are strong through the center and Wiggins and Solly look as good as any full backs in this league. If we can get a tricky finisher to play off of Kermorgant and a creative midfielder to line up alongside Cousins then I think we'll be very strong. (Stephens wasn't bad but doesn't strike me as having the confidence/mental strength to be consistently good at this level.)

Well done SCP and the boys. Not so well done us.
  • Chunes said:

Back in the country for Christmas and this was the first Charlton game I've seen in 2 years. A very pleasant surprise, was not expecting us to win.

I'll start with the sour note. The atmosphere at the Valley seems to have worsened over the last two years. I saw first hand why our home form is consistently bad. I sat in the East and the only time I ever heard anyone pipe up was when they were having a pop at one of the players - even when we were winning. Our ground has become a bitter, moany place. I remember Alex Ferguson saying in a Premiership Years interview that the Valley has a fantastic atmosphere and when the crowd gets going, the team can be impossible to contain. I wonder if we'll ever get back to that, because I don't think we've ever been further away.

On a happier note, I was surprised by how the team looks to have a good spine. Morrison, Cousins and Kermo are strong through the center and Wiggins and Solly look as good as any full backs in this league. If we can get a tricky finisher to play off of Kermorgant and a creative midfielder to line up alongside Cousins then I think we'll be very strong. (Stephens wasn't bad but doesn't strike me as having the confidence/mental strength to be consistently good at this level.)

I think you have struck a raw nerve there. I'm a season ticket holder with a seat in the Lower North, but at Cup games I usually sit in the West stand and enjoy the different perspective of the game that this affords. I have to say that I've been struck by the force of the critical moaning emanating from the North stand. Naturally we have the right to express ourselves, and our Cup performances are usually dire, but I did feel a tad embarrassed.

• Chunes said:

Sums it up for me.