Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bristol Rovers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 1 October 2024 | Match Preview

Comments

• the game will be dull . It’s what we do but we won’t lose 0-0 or 0-1 back abored the good shit Charlton zzzzz
  • Charlton will win tonight 2-0.
    Bristol Rovers are very poor side going by results and league position.
    our last two results have not been what we expected and a win tonight is needed with Birmingham coming to Charlton on Saturday.

Don’t expect Leaburn or Dixon to play .
  • AndyG said:
    a team on a dreadful run of results, lost their last 3 games. What can possibly go wrong 😑 
    They’ve actually lost their last 4…
  • Valley11 said:
    A win for us. Good feeling about this one 
    Let us know if you have any going spare. 
  • Given our start to the season and our relative league position it is amazing how gloomy and pessimistic a lot of us are.
    But it is not surprising when nobody knows how or where our goals are coming from.
    Worldies and tap-ins don't come regularly enough and set piece goals virtually never.
    There is no evident,consistent attacking plan that is resulting in attempts on target, which we can be confident will bear fruit at some point.
    There is almost an air of desperation from the fans to get Leaburn back in the side, simply because we know Miles is capable of creating an opening for himself with his strength and skill.
    The Dixon child enigma is an even more desperate hope.
    Tonight I hope for a back to basics defensive shut-out.
    Beyond that I have no idea and what depresses me is I am not sure the team do.
    Nathan?
  • Get the kid Dickson on the bench, give him some minutes, we did the same with Paul Walsh and never looked back. Not sure what the issue with Leaburn is? He had 60 minutes in the U21s then he is back in cotton wool?
    I wish NJ would have a good think and give it a go!

Anyway good luck to the team tomorrow👍
    Dixon can’t be any worse than playing Kanu out of position on the wing.

100% needs to change things up.
  • Think we’ll win. Currently in Dublin but will be back in time to jump in the car pick up the lad from College early and hit the road to Bristol. We need to get back on track no doubts about that and a solid win would set us up nicely for Saturday. 
    Have a great day!
  • Given our start to the season and our relative league position it is amazing how gloomy and pessimistic a lot of us are.
    But it is not surprising when nobody knows how or where our goals are coming from.
    Worldies and tap-ins don't come regularly enough and set piece goals virtually never.
    There is no evident,consistent attacking plan that is resulting in attempts on target, which we can be confident will bear fruit at some point.
    There is almost an air of desperation from the fans to get Leaburn back in the side, simply because we know Miles is capable of creating an opening for himself with his strength and skill.
    Nathan?
    Oh god please no. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather we lose 4-3 than draw 0-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Start of season:

Team = defensive squeaking 3pts
    Results = wins 
    Fans = we need to play more expamsive football

Recently: 

Team = attempting to play more expensively 
    Results = losses/draws
    Fans = We need to just be defensive 

Hey, I'm no different 

Let's just get the 3 points, please 

• edited October 1
    What a difference back to back league defeats make to a fan base who are suddenly in a mood, lower than a Dachshund's testicles.
    Optimism was always going to be tenuous to an ex Premier club now a fixture in the Mediocre 3rd tier.

I believe we are on a losing run against Rovers and the game that sticks in my mind is the two mistakes by Ryan Inniss where we snatched a defeat from the Jaws of Victory. The sickener was, the Scouse low life Barton mugged CAFC in that game.

Ryan Inniss the man who once received one of his many red cards when his first touch was poor and his second touch sent an opposition player into outer space. 

Back to tonight ?

Rovers 1 Charlton 2  (no logic to this prediction!)
  • Just setting off from the Isle of Wight in more hope than expectation. Really need a decent performance for 90+ minutes with a bit or creativity and some shots on target .... at least staying the night in Bristol so can drown the sorrows if required. 
  • I shouldn't do after Saturday but I'm fairly confident about this one. 0-2

• edited October 1
    We're trying to play more expansively? Are you off your nut lol. We've been behind in our last two games so we've had to chase it a bit but we've set up just as defensively as in all the other games 
  • What a difference back to back league defeats make to a fan base who are suddenly in a mood, lower than a Dachshund's testicles.
    Optimism was always going to be tenuous to an ex Premier club now a fixture in the Mediocre 3rd tier.

I'm not sure any fanbase is going to be ecstatic after 1 win in the last 5 games. Especially after scoring just 3 goals (and conceding 6) in that period.
  • Definitely a game we should be looking to win, however it's going to be difficult given our current form, so hopefully the boys are up for the battle and defend like tigers, 1-2 Charlton.
  • Start of season:

Results = wins 

Recently: 

Results = losses/draws

Hey, I'm no different 

Defensive solidity and attacking flair aren't mutually exclusive you know.
    Let's not blame the fans for this shit.
    Am not blaming fans 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 1
    Start of season:

Results = wins 

Recently: 

Results = losses/draws

Hey, I'm no different 

I cannot remember one post on this site complaining we are being too expensive and need to be more defensive 
    Not sure if you mean my expansive/expensive typo...

Or... you mean nobody is calling for us to tighten up at the back?

I mean... there are people in this thread saying it, let alone in the post match from Saturday. Its not a bad thing to say.

Hey - I'm saying it, too. 

• This team just doesn't inspire confidence or even enthusiasm for most parts. It is a tough watch, so I hope those going are rewarded with a performance not seen much this season. Too many players are becoming stale and that doesn't bode well for Jones. The early season high press seems to have disappeared, along with confidence, and the scoring opportunities, for players that couldn't score in a brothel, are even fewer as the weeks roll by. Jones must be wondering what dice he can roll to get the system back on track.

0-0

• With the under 21s playing this afternoon, if Leaburn and Dixon are not playing may indicate they will be involved tonight. Fingers crossed on both counts, we need something different going forward.
  • Surely they are ready for at the very least a spot on the bench. There is only so many times you can keep playing in the U21s until sods law they get taken out by an overenthusiastic 18 year old.
  • Always optimistic. Before kick-off.
  • Bristol Rovers have won each of their last four league games against Charlton Athletic, as many victories as across their prior 29 such matches against the Addicks combined.

Charlton Athletic have only won four of their 33 away league games against Bristol Rovers (D12 L17), keeping just five clean sheets during that time.

Bristol Rovers’ Chris Martin has scored four goals in his last three home league appearances against Charlton, including a brace in this exact fixture last season.

Charlton have won both of their last two away league games in midweek (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday), last winning three in a row in April 2021.

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/october/01/sky-bet-league-one--pre-match-stat-pack/

• Leuth said:
    Given our start to the season and our relative league position it is amazing how gloomy and pessimistic a lot of us are.
    Nathan?
    Oh god please no. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather we lose 4-3 than draw 0-0
    Golfie? Is that you?
  • I just do not see where the goals are coming from. 

I will take a 1-1. 
  • With the under 21s playing this afternoon, if Leaburn and Dixon are not playing may indicate they will be involved tonight. Fingers crossed on both counts, we need something different going forward.
    Dixon playing but Leaburn not involved.