Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bristol Rovers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 1 October 2024 | Match Preview

Comments

• Not confident. We have not dominated any side this term (Bolton our best performance) and we look favourites on paper -  always a bad sign. Poor current form. Its feeling like last season already. 1-0 loss.
  • We desperately need at least a draw from this, and that is what I think we will get. I expect a very defensive display similar to early season games, and for us to grind out a result. I think there is an outside chance of getting the win if we score first. Lose and I fear that October may be a very tough month.
  • Their only wins have been a scrappy 1-0 against Northampton and a 2-0 at home against Cambridge who are by far the worst team in the league so far this season.

They’re not very good & we should not be losing tbh. A win would be great but you should never expect wins away from home.

A draw is fine, a win would be lovely.
  • Got to have confidence in NJ getting a performance out of this lot... reckon?

If not it will confirm my suspicion that this is case of "The Emporers New Clothes" with Jones the Coach.

0-1 The Addicks!
  • Is this on sky/ted button?
  • I'm not sure if this a player problem, I'm more inclined to think it's a tactical problem stemming from a manager who doesn't want to concede and doesn't get the balance right between offensive and defensive. I don't have a problem with 3,4,3 but to play two full backs in the midfield shows a defensive mindset and limits our attacking threat. I would put Tyreece Campbell back on the wing and let Godden partner Ahadme with Berry playing off the front two, our four available full backs do not get beaten very often and it's time to let our defence do it's job without compromising other areas of the pitch in the hope of not conceding. Not hopeful that Jones will do any of that so it's another defeat and more question marks.   
  • edited September 30
    A must win now after the last 2 games and what is coming up in the rest of October 
  • I hope we win for the sake of the mood around the club more than anything. A turgid draw or defeat is really not helpful. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    I'm looking forward to it. It's a proper football ground and Bristol is a great city.

I think we'll draw though, maybe a 0-0
    Can a rugby ground be a proper football ground?! 

1-2 with the Gas man to ko the gas.. 
  • Croydon said:
    I'm looking forward to it. It's a proper football ground and Bristol is a great city.

I think we'll draw though, maybe a 0-0
    Can a rugby ground be a proper football ground?! 

1-2 with the Gas man to ko the gas.. 
    Fair point. But compared to the likes of Stevenage and Shrewsbury it's a great ground
  • Bods64 said:
    Gasman to explode on the scene with a quick fire double. 2-1 Addicks for my 101st consecutive watch. 
    And the headline reads

”Gas sinks the gas”
  • with Jones not knowing what his best 11 is, and the fact that combination of 11 he picks will lack the ability to score
    I reckon one nil to Bristol Rovers.
  • Need to win, anything else not good enough. Think we will see Ahadme up top with TC, Docherty to return with Berry in midfield alongside Coventry. Back five to remain the same. Taylor and Leaburn on the bench. Nervy 2-1 away win.
  • edited September 30
    After Saturday i have absolutely no confidence in us creating any chances ,  let alone scoring . The best we can hope for with this toothless team is a 0-0. 
  • Ominous!

They’ve lost their last 3, bring on Charlton the canon fodder and a Rovers win is all but guaranteed!
  • a team on a dreadful run of results, lost their last 3 games. What can possibly go wrong 😑 
  • I have a feeling we might see it click a little more against Rovers and we might see a win by a couple of goals for the first time this season and then be back in doldrums after getting dicked by Brum on Saturday 
  • Sponsored links:

• Would love to see Taylor Dixon and Leaburn get some minutes but I don’t think this man is for changing
    Me and the boy arrived when the team bus arrived on Saturday and the players looked like they were on death row, can see NJ being someone who can lose a dressing room very quickly 
    0-0 at best 

Nathan Jones made six changes on Saturday and thought REG would be a better option than Mitchell in the home match against Blackpool.
    He also played Kanu, Godden and Campbell against Stevenage.

It didn't work out but Nathan Jones owned the changes; will he go back to 3-5-2 (5-3-2 if under the cosh) 
    Other formations are available but results business and the last two defeats have seen Charlton fans and critics back in the depressive default mode.
    Yes but apart from that when has he ever changed the side 
  • Their only wins have been a scrappy 1-0 against Northampton and a 2-0 at home against Cambridge who are by far the worst team in the league so far this season.

They’re not very good & we should not be losing tbh. A win would be great but you should never expect wins away from home.

A draw is fine, a win would be lovely.

A promotion side should expect wins away from home to weaker opposition. Remember this board back in 2013. We expected wins every week and got them.
  • We really need to win this as especially does Nathan Jones methinks .. The 'Gas', another 'little' club which always enjoys giving it a right go against one of the 'giants' of the Division, i.e. us
    Another right scrap in the offing, and (as ever) I reckon we will win, either comfortably or by the hairs on our chinny chin chin, I don't care, just a win please
  • edited October 1
    Real Groundhog Day feeling right now. Another season that starts full of hope, but soon becomes a let down. 
    But even so, anything could happen at Bristol. Well, anything apart from a stonking away win, unfortunately.
    I fancy TC to score, in a 1-1 draw. 
    Glad it’s on Sky. But I’m beginning to think it’d be less depressing to go down the pub and look up the score when I get home. 
    Yours, J Seed, “soaked, with cold feet and an aching heart; married, several children, pissed off, really dreadfully pissed off…” (© C. Baker c. 1978)
  • We need to go back to defending well and keeping clean sheets. Start from there again.
  • Get the kid Dickson on the bench, give him some minutes, we did the same with Paul Walsh and never looked back. Not sure what the issue with Leaburn is? He had 60 minutes in the U21s then he is back in cotton wool?
    I wish NJ would have a good think and give it a go!

Anyway good luck to the team tomorrow👍
  • 1-1 draw but I think we will do em on the xg count. Up the haddocks. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Real Groundhog Day feeling right now. Another season that starts full of hope, but soon becomes a let down. 
    But even so, anything could happen at Bristol. Well, anything apart from a stonking away win, unfortunately.
    I fancy TC to score, in a 1-1 draw. 
    Glad it’s on Sky. But I’m beginning to think it’d be less depressing to go down the pub and look up the score when I get home. 
    Yours, J Seed, soaked, with cold feet and an aching heart; married, several children, pissed off, really dreadfully pissed off…
    Cheer up, you could support Millwall (again) 😂
    Who says I’m not already. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • A win for us. Good feeling about this one