Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bristol Rovers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 1 October 2024 | Match Preview

Bristol Rovers v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 1st October 2024
Kick-Off: 19:45

Referee
David Rock - Previously officiated a Charlton match back at the start of October last season at home to Exeter City where we won 4-1. He is a referee who likes his yellows, so if Berry is to play, he’ll likely miss Birmingham on Saturday.

Introduction
Form and performances have gone off the boil meaning back to back defeats for Nathan Jones’ side since becoming manager back in February. Charlton now seem to have a lack of strategy in attacking a game due to a gaping creative hole in the side and no one to put the ball in the back of the net when we get close enough. Recently we have come away from what we did so well at the start, keeping clean sheets and looking hard to break down. Admittedly, Jones has said we’ve done this to try and become better going forward, to be fluid. But back to basics is needed. If you don’t concede, you always get at least a point. We travel west to Bristol in hope of getting back on track.

Opposition
Stadium: Memorial Stadium
Manager: Matt Taylor
Nickname(s): The Pirates
Form: LWLLLL
Previous result: A 2-1 defeat at home to Wycombe Wanders. Their line up was:

Griffiths
Taylor - Wilson - Mola
Thomas - Ward - Lindsay - Sousa
Sinclair
Sotiriou - O’Donkor

A September of losses for Bristol Rovers where they conceded 11 goals against some challenging opposition. It’s been a tough start to the season for the former Addicks defender who is now the manager of our next opponents. In most games recently, they’ve played against a back 4, many deploying a 4-2-3-1 formation and getting a lot of joy. Despite having a 3 man defence and 3 man midfield, they’ve been caught out by the pace and movement, not necessarily the bodies. Something that we don’t particularly have at our disposal.

Personnel wise, Rovers signed Isaac Hutchinson during the summer from Walsall. The midfielder got into double figures last term but has found life at the Memorial to be a step up so far. He does bring quality though. Up front, we would normally have Chris Martin to worry about, his performance last season proving his worth, even whilst in his mid 30’s. However, the experienced striker has been out recently and I don’t have a clue when he’ll be back, but it wouldn’t surprise me knowing our luck for it to be on Tuesday. I’m not going to pretend I know much about them but they do have Scott Sinclair who scored at the weekend. The former Charlton loanee has gone full circle in his career starting at Bristol Rovers and playing for a billion teams in between before coming back to the Pirates.

Charlton Team News
With performances turgid and results just as poor, even with 6 changes to the side from last week, it’s hard to imagine things are suddenly going to click and improve. Right now, we’re toothless up front and despite conceding just 6 goals all season, you’re not going to be getting 3 points if you can’t put it in the back of the net yourself.

As Leaburn was not included at Stevenage, I really hope to see him this time round. Personally, I don’t want to see Ahadme near the team but with his mask now arrived following his fractured nose, I  think he might come straight back into the team.

As Bristol Rovers have struggled against pace, it would be interesting to see TC and Dixon on the pitch and given a go together either side of the mobile Leaburn. Everything is too passive and predictable right now. I’d like to see players who are going to take on opponents and not just pass without purpose and end up losing it by going long.

I can’t see Potts starting again in quick succession and so Gillesphey will come in, as does the return of the captain following being dropped to the bench at the weekend. It’s Anderson’s birthday, the academy product turns 20, so maybe he’ll start and have a good game. As set-pieces are a real concern, I’d like to see Taylor given a chance to prove himself in the league, doubt that’ll happen though too. This is not the team I would particularly go for, nor is it what I think Jones will either, but that’s the fun of it being a preview.

Mannion
Mitchell - Jones - Gillesphey
Ramsay - Docherty - Coventry - Anderson - Edwards
Godden - Leaburn

AMB, Potts, Small, Berry, TC, Kanu, Aneke

Bristol Rovers 0-1 Charlton Athletic
Godden

Comments

• A defeat is going to be a bitter blow. A win gets us back in the direction of going after automatic promotion, but with Birmingham coming up after an awkward midweek away trip it will take some doing to gain the points we currently need from these next two matches.
  • Great and realistic preview. I don't think Miles will start and do think Gas will return to the starting line up. I also think TC will feature from the start. Would like to see Taylor given a chance but don't think it will happen.
  • Why isn't Taylor on the bench at least ? He deserves a chance because of his youth, passing ability , dead ball expertise despite his lack of minutes. Instead NJ will llikely persist with Docherty and/or Campbell A., because they played a few good games for him once. They're older, probably still unsettled and we have hoofball tactics only.  Typical Jones' stubborness. His way or the highway, as we witnessed with May.
  • I'd like to see Taylor on the bench, Sodden to partner Ahadme, TC from a wide position!

There is a growing swell for Dixon and I hope we can resist playing him until he is ready. He is a project in the making. The situation reminds me of Chris Dickson, we al, pushed for him to be given a chance and when he was, he failed. Dixon hopefully has more about him, but he is inexperienced, does not know football in England and has played few minutes so far. He may prove me wrong but I I see him as maybe some cameo performances this season before being physically built up for next season and having a real influence then.
  • edited September 29
    TC is the only player offering us any threat. I hope he starts. 

I have a feeling Small was left out yesterday because he's set to play on Tuesday. 

We really need to get a result from this one or things could start going downhill pretty fast. 

I also wouldn't be surprised to see NJ stick with the same 343. 
  • We have an U21 game on Tuesday afternoon. Interesting to see who plays, or who doesn't play.
  • Like the team in the op
    Go back to what worked before. At least we’ll be solid. 
    Leaburn for an hour then Chuks
    I think Godden will find his scoring touch if given a run 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stuff clicks again. 3-1 win for the Addicks. 
  • edited September 30
    0-0 Draw

Nathan Jones to turn up at HT after sneaking over the border to Cardiff at lunchtime.
  • Would love to see Taylor Dixon and Leaburn get some minutes but I don’t think this man is for changing
    Me and the boy arrived when the team bus arrived on Saturday and the players looked like they were on death row, can see NJ being someone who can lose a dressing room very quickly 
    0-0 at best 
  • Chunes said:
    TC is the only player offering us any threat. I hope he starts. 

I have a feeling Small was left out yesterday because he's set to play on Tuesday. 

We really need to get a result from this one or things could start going downhill pretty fast. 

I also wouldn't be surprised to see NJ stick with the same 343. 
    I have a feeling Small was left out because Jones, for whatever reason, has decided he's finished with him
  • edited September 30
    Thank goodness its our weekly pub quiz night so I have an excuse not to watch.  Don’t think I could take two doses of Jonesball in four days.  Given their run, if we don’t win this we are on a very slippery slope. 
  • Need a win tomorrow. With the tough games coming up we need some confidence back. 

Whilst we need it, I think we will draw this one. 

1-1 Godden
  • Another no show 1-0 defeat. 
  • I'd have Taylor on the bench at least, to offer some much needed decent dead ball delivery.
    I'd also like to see Dixon promoted to the bench, he MAY be a game changer who knows?
    Up front I guess it'll be Gas and Goddern. Finally I'd drop Anderson and give it to Berry, and leave Kanu  at home for this one.

• Sponsored links:

• 2-1 Gas Man and Berry 
  • Bristol Rovers are struggling and the fans are losing patience with Matt Taylor - feels like a horrible banana skin game. Hopefully Leaburn and Dixon are at least on the bench. 

Going 1-1 - Leaburn late equaliser 
  • NabySarr said:
    Berry needs to start, he’s our most creative midfielder and gets goals from midfield. No idea why he was taken out of the team in the first place and we’ve been terrible since 
    Because he played crap, like Docherty and Campbell A, they were dropped for a reason.
  • I'm looking forward to it. It's a proper football ground and Bristol is a great city.

I think we'll draw though, maybe a 0-0
  • Would love to see Taylor Dixon and Leaburn get some minutes but I don’t think this man is for changing
    Me and the boy arrived when the team bus arrived on Saturday and the players looked like they were on death row, can see NJ being someone who can lose a dressing room very quickly 
    0-0 at best 

Nathan Jones made six changes on Saturday and thought REG would be a better option than Mitchell in the home match against Blackpool.
    He also played Kanu, Godden and Campbell against Stevenage.

It didn't work out but Nathan Jones owned the changes; will he go back to 3-5-2 (5-3-2 if under the cosh) 
    Other formations are available but results business and the last two defeats have seen Charlton fans and critics back in the depressive default mode.
  • edited September 30
    Positivity has now turned to negativity and a win would be great, I’d be happy with a point. Not convinced we’ll get either:(
  • Croydon said:
    I'm looking forward to it. It's a proper football ground and Bristol is a great city.

I think we'll draw though, maybe a 0-0
    I love Bristol, but that away terrace is pretty grim. If I was going tomorrow I might have chosen the new stand behind the goal.