Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aug 2024 Transfer Window Deadline Day Thread

Comments

• Birmingham are crazy. £10m could assemble you the greatest league one squad ever, so be able to spend it on one player is ridiculous. They probably do already have one of the best league one squads ever but they've signed big players and in volume so whilst squad depth is key, some big personalities aren't going to be playing regularly. Stansfield would presumably play ahead of Alfie as can't see them starting together. I don't really get why they took such a massive gamble on an unproven manager given their resources. Sheer money on quality players will still see them go up regardless.
  • follett said:
    Birmingham are crazy. £10m could assemble you the greatest league one squad ever, so be able to spend it on one player is ridiculous. They probably do already have one of the best league one squads ever but they've signed big players and in volume so whilst squad depth is key, some big personalities aren't going to be playing regularly. Stansfield would presumably play ahead of Alfie as can't see them starting together. I don't really get why they took such a massive gamble on an unproven manager given their resources. Sheer money on quality players will still see them go up regardless.
    bound to go tits up at some point!
  • edited August 30
    Looks slightly like Simon Sluga who I would be very happy with! Available on a free and ex Luton of course 
  • FAVADDICK said:
    Anyone recognise  the goalkeeper in the background 
    Dunno, but cracking snot dangler from his nose
    Hardly going to endear himself to the coaching staff by head butting them on the nose.😉
  • FAVADDICK said:
    But, it could be Dan Bentley, Joe Lumley or George Long.

Rule out Long, looks nothing like him.

Based on those pictures, it would be Bentley, which I can't see happening. He's also under contract with Wolves so unless it's already been done, it's unlikely he would be here, same goes for Lumley who is at Southampton. 

Just read that Arsenal bid just 50k for Bentley which was rejected by Wolves, bit cheeky.

Good spot though by FAV, I am now curious who it is

• FAVADDICK said:
    Is that a steering wheel on his back ?
    I hope he has a good engine.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Birmingham have more money than sense, Stansfield is nowhere near a £10m signing 
    If they only had £1 they'd have more money than sense.  :D
  • https://x.com/BBCSport/status/1829449150754087233?t=ZAwDpDTkGej-dkhGLdK3vQ&s=19

Interesting that this has just happened..

Be very happy if it was actually Bentley 
  • edited August 30
    Bentley would be a good option to battle it out with with Will. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Looks very much like Bentley, but can't see that he would drop to league 1, pretty sure would have Championship interest
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Looks very much like Bentley, but can't see that he would drop to league 1, pretty sure would have Championship interest
    I do think he’ll be on the move today with Johnstone signing. Arsenal might still want him as third choice with Hein going. 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    We got mugged off with the May transfer, should've played hard ball... they're throwing money around like confetti 
    Think 900,000 was an excellent deal when he could leave for nothing in 12 months 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    We got mugged off with the May transfer, should've played hard ball... they're throwing money around like confetti 
    Think 900,000 was an excellent deal when he could leave for nothing in 12 months 
    No he couldn’t as we had the option of a third year 
    Although a fee was agreed with the more fiscally sensible Huddersfield first wasn't it?  
  • Just seen the Brad Collins mention, and I think that's also a likely option.

I've done a double take on a picture of Dan Bentleys ears, and they're bit pointy and not like the mystery goalies ears. 

Yes, it's very odd I'm looking at random goalies ears on Google images.

Looks like Brighton keeper Tommy Reid who played for under 21 this week 
  • Looks a lot older than Tommy Reid in that picture
  • edited August 30
    https://x.com/GeorgeSmithCov/status/1829462269681336769?t=dBtiDIXUJiGBz7J4YoNJHA&s=19

Not sure on reliability of this account but "Led to believe Brad collins to #CAFC is a done deal."
  • Sponsored links:

• Without trying to sound like complainer, is there anything in the SCMP and Financial Fair Play stuff in League One regarding transfer expenditure? How have Birmingham been able to spend so much?
  • Good memories of signing Bentley on Football Manager and then callously discarding him once I progressed up the leagues. Hope he doesn't remember that. Given that he's now third keeper for Wolves he might be happy with that or he might want to get first team football. Arsenal have apparently agreed deals for Neto and Joan Garcia once Ramsdale goes so it's likely they've moved on, but I have read that he's on £10k a week so he'd need to take quite the cut if he was to join us
  • Foxycafc said:
    Without trying to sound like complainer, is there anything in the SCMP and Financial Fair Play stuff in League One regarding transfer expenditure? How have Birmingham been able to spend so much?
    SCMP rules mean owners in L1 and L2 can put money in as a donation or equity and it counts as turnover, so they can effectively spend whatever they want.

Money loaned by an owner doesn’t count which is probably why we’ve not seen a club spend like this at this level before.
  • https://x.com/sportspeteo/status/1829467747861835778?s=46&t=A-w3Eq0EWWpjMxring904Q

Birmingham close to signing a midfielder but frustrated that the Stansfield bid was rejected.
  • Foxycafc said:
    Without trying to sound like complainer, is there anything in the SCMP and Financial Fair Play stuff in League One regarding transfer expenditure? How have Birmingham been able to spend so much?
    Their revenue is huge for this level, plus they’ve sold a couple of players for good money and got some big earners off the wage bill. The rules are also less strict for teams that come down for the first year, as part of the parachute payments system/rules 

And if you break the rules at this level the owner can just put the money in as equity rather than as a loan. We went over budget last season and had to do this 
  • Ivan Toney going Saudi for £40m :-( 

I wouldn't bet on that if Odious Chelsea feel their short on players 🧐